Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

goferchan posted:

That is not a bad one-drop to topdeck, wow

Also just realized how good it is against control. Dash means it doesn't get hit by a sweeper like Crux or Drown, they actually have to spend a Downfall or counterspell on it, which is just value town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Xir posted:

SCG preselling Narset for $45. I only need one for my cube, but not at that price. That seems absurdly high.
Its not going to stick at even $20. I'd bet my marbles.

I honestly don't think she's that good unless a new deck appears for her to slot in.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 4, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
SCG Sold out of preorders at 30, 35 and 40. lol

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

Also just realized how good it is against control. Dash means it doesn't get hit by a sweeper like Crux or Drown, they actually have to spend a Downfall or counterspell on it, which is just value town.

That Archwing Dragon value. That thing was one of the most obnoxious creatures to play against.

mcmagic posted:

SCG Sold out of preorders at 30, 35 and 40. lol

"4 mana, has blue, new Jace??? Going to retire off my investment!!!" - people who order every PW

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Angry Grimace posted:

I honestly don't think she's that good unless a new deck appears for her to slot in.

Well I wasn't planning on preordering her unless she was $20 or so. I might have bit at that price, but $45 is stupid. There are more cards I need for cube that would have a bigger impact, particularly since I haven't started adding in any Planeswalkers yet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not going to stick at even $20. I'd bet my marbles.
I thought you already lost those. :rimshot:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yawgmoth posted:

I thought you already lost those. :rimshot:

Well, let me rein that a bit - the set isn't gonna be opened as much as Khans without fetchlands, so she could stick at $20 for a lot longer than the PW from Khans did.

But seriously, none of her abilities are good enough to justify switching to UW and none of them are even tailored toward control.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rabidsquid posted:

That Archwing Dragon value. That thing was one of the most obnoxious creatures to play against.

"4 mana, has blue, new Jace??? Going to retire off my investment!!!" - people who order every PW

Nissa preordered at 15 bucks and was 30 for 3 months...

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
And G/B garruk was like $30 at release and barely touches $10 now. Rarely will walkers hold extreme, preorder value, they aren't usually good preorder bets.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

That means for the lucky few who saw this coming, they saved $60 over the ones who for whatever reason really needed a full playset and bought in at the high price.

edit: Also I don't know anyone who gets full dealer value on like in print cards, but everyone talks like they do so I guess that must be a thing somewhere.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 4, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Peaked at 50, even!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

I traded away my Nissa (that I got in the prerelease) for 3 Polluted Deltas. Man was that ever an amazing trade.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Thunderbreak Regent seems pretty playable. You get value out of it if the opponent attempts spot removal, curves into stormbreath and gives more value to stormbreath if they attempt to kill it before dealing with regent. Also trades with opposing stormbreaths. 4 mana for a 4/4 flier with upside is pretty good in red. Between the two phoenixes and two decent dragons, red has some good flying power going on right now.

Also useful with Dragon Tempest, which is looking like not a nonsense card anymore.

I also like Thunderbreak (which I misread until right this moment as "Thunderbeak," which I actually liked better). I looked around trying to find places to preorder, and only about half an hour ago found CFB had them up for $2.99. Not bad, so I ordered a set. Now CFB doesn't have them listed as in stock anymore, and now a couple of places on tcg do have them up starting at $9.99. I guess I'm glad I pulled the trigger immediately.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Reminder that Tibalt was like a $20 preorder.

Planeswalkers are always expensive as poo poo to preorder and the preorder price has little correlation to how good they actually are or what price they stabilize at.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 4, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, but you can win the game with nothing in your hand but Nissa. (I'm not defending Nissa's price, either)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

And G/B garruk was like $30 at release and barely touches $10 now. Rarely will walkers hold extreme, preorder value, they aren't usually good preorder bets.

More like never. I think after noticing every walker ever spikes to about $40 early on, places stopped making them available for cheap preorder.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not going to be preordering Narset at 35 bucks or more. You're losing all the value there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

I'm not going to be preordering Narset at 35 bucks or more. You're losing all the value there.

I'm the one arguing that she'll be good in Vintage, and even I'm not dumb enough to preorder her at that price.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

More like never. I think after noticing every walker ever spikes to about $40 early on, places stopped making them available for cheap preorder.

I preordered Sorin, Solemn Visitor for $10.50, because everyone tried to argue he sucks for not being as good as Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (a totally irrelevant card to the conversation). I sold those off for 30 bucks value (I actually traded them for Elspeth's + cards at that value) and then acquired more when they were 10 bucks again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

I preordered Sorin, Solemn Visitor for $10.50, because everyone tried to argue he sucks for not being as good as Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (a totally irrelevant card to the conversation). I sold those off for 30 bucks value (I actually traded them for Elspeth's + cards at that value) and then acquired more when they were 10 bucks again.

By the time he was done trading, he bought a huge house and two vintage decks, all from a $42 investment!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I once traded away a Scavenging Ooze for four Goblin Guides.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

By the time he was done trading, he bought a huge house and two vintage decks, all from a $42 investment!

And then I lost it all betting the farm that enemy fetchlands were in Dragons of Tarkir.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Will Narset's -2 work with Temporal Trespass? The card is going to the exile zone either way.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

qbert posted:

Will Narset's -2 work with Temporal Trespass? The card is going to the exile zone either way.

My intuition is it works like when you whip back Ghost Dad. Maybe that's why they nerfed TT so hard...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

qbert posted:

I think it works the same way Ghost Council worked with Whip of Erebos?

You're replacing "Exile Temporal Trespass" with "Exile Temporal Trespass"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Yeah but the rebound cast will still end up exiling it. Not that anyone is implying that it wouldn't.

-2, take another turn, rebound, TT is exiled and was a time stretch. Pretty cool.

EDIT: whoops wrong post.

EDIT2: whoops doesn't work. I blame PV

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 4, 2015

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

The issue, of course, is that DTK is a new "block," so they're less likely to do that the way they did with FRF.

Jace isn't that good in Vintage because he's 4 mana to cast. Dack Fayden pitches to Force just as well and steals your opponents Moxen.

Jace and Dack are very different cards. You'd be correct in saying that Jace isn't as good as he would be because he's 4 mana to cast. He's still Jace.

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'
If a spell moves itself to another zone as a part of its resolution (as Arc Blade, All Suns' Dawn, and Beacon of Unrest do), rebound won't get a chance to apply.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The answer is no, actually. It doesn't work. See the Gatherer ruling on Cast Through Time:

6/15/2010 If a spell moves itself into another zone as part of its resolution (as Arc Blade, All Suns' Dawn, and Beacon of Unrest do), rebound won't get a chance to apply.

I wonder if the Exile effect was tacked onto Trespass for Narset? Otherwise it seems kind of a pointless restriction.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 4, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's the same reason you don't get to shuffle a Zenith back into your deck when you used Snapcaster to get it out of the graveyard.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder if the Exile effect was tacked onto Trespass for Narset? Otherwise it seems kind of a pointless restriction.

Maybe, but this wouldn't be the first time they've done that, see Temporal Mastery. It makes sense as a catch all to prevent abuse.

rabidsquid posted:

It's the same reason you don't get to shuffle a Zenith back into your deck when you used Snapcaster to get it out of the graveyard.

I don't see the connection, intuitively I don't understand why it shouldn't work like the Obzedat/Whip interaction. Flashback overrides everything else and says the spell is exiled, so obviously you won't shuffle in a Zenith. Whip says you have to exile the creature if it would leave the battlefield for any reason, and if that reason is it's being exiled by another effect, it just gets exiled by the effect. I don't see why this should be different (yes I understand that it IS by fiat but it seems more ad-hoc than anything you could arrive at on your own just by looking at the rules).

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 4, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Doesn't Wizards just make it a rule to exile every "Take and extra turn" spell these days? All the Commander players who have to deal with Time Warp complained.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

If you cast Treasure Cruise delving away all the other Cruises in your graveyard do you lose 10 to the new kolaghan?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

that is some busy as hell art, i'd like to see it blown up

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SCG has sold out of Narset at $45. Its FIFTY now. :lol:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

If you cast Treasure Cruise delving away all the other Cruises in your graveyard do you lose 10 to the new kolaghan?

The delve is part of the payment. So no.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The cards aren't in the yard when the spell gets put on the stack so I am pretty sure you wouldn't.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nope. Kolaghan's effect is put on the stack above Cruise, and all the other cruises have been delved away as part of the cost of casting Cruise.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

The answer is no, actually. It doesn't work. See the Gatherer ruling on Cast Through Time:

6/15/2010 If a spell moves itself into another zone as part of its resolution (as Arc Blade, All Suns' Dawn, and Beacon of Unrest do), rebound won't get a chance to apply.

Those aren't the same though, unless I'm forgetting what arc blade does.

E: nm, I did :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

No, because Kolaghan only affects creature/planeswalker spells?

Edit: Wow, a lot of people above me don't know how the card works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
replace TC with gurmag angler for the question then!!

• Locked thread