Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

preemptive :dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Is it the animated part, or the subject matter? I'm honestly curious.

I like the animation a whole lot, which is why I get tricked into watching animes from time to time and then I remember that the slavish devotion to form, the standard and ubiquitous stock character types, the lengthy and irritating melodramatic monologues and the antrocious pacing is the reason I cannot stand loving anime.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Talmonis posted:

Is it the animated part, or the subject matter? I'm honestly curious.

It's anime, you know anime. That ineffable quality that all of anime has, except for the anime that I've watched and liked. That aspect of anime.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Sorry for taking the "top spot"?

Don't back down. Never stop posting.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

this is my jam

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Badger of Basra posted:

instead of your anime bitchfest how about you answer my question :mad:

TV, a bit part in The Virgin Suicides, starred in a movie about Stephen Glass.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i think i preferred the first chat thread. we'll have to do better than we've been doing so far

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

Don't back down. Never stop posting.

Eh, I go where I'm needed. Apparently I'm needed here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

agr3eed R. Mute.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

KoldPT posted:

there isn't a single gundam show i'd recommend without caveats except MAYBE 0079 movies

I thought Turn A Gundam has pretty universal appeal, but you do have a point. I think a lot of it is due to age though, Mobile Suit Gundam holds up surprisingly well, but it's still just outright pretty creaky.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

R. Mute posted:

i think i preferred the first chat thread. we'll have to do better than we've been doing so far

I spent an hour and a half talking to a sedevaticanist today, just for the chat thread. It was not fun.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

r. mute have you done your marx madness bracket yet

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
We could talk about all the poo poo FPD won't get in trouble for doing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sinnlos posted:

I spent an hour and a half talking to a sedevaticanist today, just for the chat thread. It was not fun.

are we going to have to do loving research for our posts now

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I thought Turn A Gundam has pretty universal appeal, but you do have a point. I think a lot of it is due to age though, Mobile Suit Gundam holds up surprisingly well, but it's still just outright pretty creaky.

G Gundam is hilarious.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I voted for laclau instead of stalin

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

white base needs salt; doan's island; the g-armor

R. Mute posted:

it was bad

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

i have. i didn't know all of them, tho

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

DemeaninDemon posted:

everything

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sinnlos posted:

that is an oddly specific position to have a dedicated word, drat

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

R. Mute posted:

This new chat thread is shaping up to be a monster. :twisted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R. Mute posted:

You phony I knew it

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

are we going to have to do loving research for our posts now

I do because I admittedly am a huge loving weirdo, and in this case I have familial ties to some people that were very very angry about Vatican II and now I know why we don't talk to that branch anymore.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Zeitgueist posted:

everything

https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

I voted for laclau instead of stalin

:dogbutton:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

I do because I admittedly am a huge loving weirdo, and in this case I have familial ties to some people that were very very angry about Vatican II and now I know why we don't talk to that branch anymore.

Woah, Vatican 2 is out already? I didn't even see the first one!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

I like the animation a whole lot, which is why I get tricked into watching animes from time to time and then I remember that the slavish devotion to form, the standard and ubiquitous stock character types, the lengthy and irritating melodramatic monologues and the antrocious pacing is the reason I cannot stand loving anime.

As I get older this is increasingly my issue, though I have a love of melodrama regardless of the medium. There are a lot of things out there that we don't get here, (Slice of life, sports, etc.) that are a lot less formulaic then the usual imports. A good way to figure out if you might like it is to look at the eyes and facial features. If the people actually look Japanese (if they're supposed to BE Japanese that is), and realistic, it's a pretty good bet that it will veer away from the "Moe" poo poo that drives many folks up the wall.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

r.mute did you vote for Hobsbawm or Guevara?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's pretty hosed up, but it's happening more or less everywhere from one degree to another, so whatever. I'm pretty numb to it now.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

G Gundam is hilarious.

My secret shame is that I think I enjoy G Gundam unironically.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

r.mute did you vote for Hobsbawm or Guevara?

guevara por vida

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

You phony I knew it
i'm the real deal, zoux.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sinnlos posted:

You are doing God's work.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Do we think Obama will be more or less visible in his post-presidential life than W currently is?

He's going to be 55 when he leaves office, which should give us at least ~30 solid years of trollbama to endure/bask in.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's pretty hosed up, but it's happening more or less everywhere from one degree to another, so whatever. I'm pretty numb to it now.

Don't let these jackasses make you think you should be ashamed of liking G Gundam.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bradburypancakes posted:

Do we think Obama will be more or less visible in his post-presidential life than W currently is?

He's going to be 55 when he leaves office, which should give us at least ~30 solid years of trollbama to endure/bask in.

If Hillary appoints Obama to SCOTUS, it might actually kill Scalia. Two birds with one stone, I think it's worth the try.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Woah, Vatican 2 is out already? I didn't even see the first one!

Yeah, having language options other than Latin is fantastic. Also, no more dress code, more varied music, and better dialogues with members of other factions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My bet is Obama goes back to teaching.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sinnlos posted:

Yeah, having language options other than Latin is fantastic. Also, no more dress code, more varied music, and better dialogues with members of other factions.

better not say this in the liturgigoon thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The chicken just posted the real kicker that'll probably get a few of y'all pissed.

A judge encouraged it as a way to raise revenue.

Also Justice Obama has a nice ring to it.

• Locked thread