Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
So what is the end result of this report going to be? Ferguson saying "oops I'm sorry this happened to you" and then nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

So what is the end result of this report going to be? Ferguson saying "oops I'm sorry this happened to you" and then nothing?

They repealed several illegal fines during the DoJ investigation. So that at least.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All these report excerts tell me that I would die from rage if I actually take the time to read it holy loving poo poo they turned upholding the law into a loving business.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Legally, what can be done to the Ferguson P.D. if anything.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All these report excerts tell me that I would die from rage if I actually take the time to read it holy loving poo poo they turned upholding the law into a loving business.

There is basically something outrageous on every page. It is that bad. Like really, the fact that they were making racist "jokes" is the least upsetting stuff going on there.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The report indicates it is A LOT bigger than just the PD; they were just the orcs to the greater evil of Mordor. But they could dissolve the police department and have another entity extend coverage until they reincorporate it at a later time. But that's really about all that is going to fix this, no amount of sensitivity training is going to help the fact the laws they are enforcing exist just so the government can plunder the community

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

I'm kind of out of the loop—was the investigation summed up in the report done following the Michael Brown case or are they independent of each other? Like, would this poo poo never (or much later) have been uncovered were it not for the Brown killing? If so, Jesus, how many other police departments is this stuff SOP at?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It likely won't exist soon. If they comply with the justice department the city can't afford the department, if they continue the judgement against the city will bankrupt it.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm kind of out of the loop—was the investigation summed up in the report done following the Michael Brown case or are they independent of each other? Like, would this poo poo never (or much later) have been uncovered were it not for the Brown killing? If so, Jesus, how many other police departments is this stuff SOP at?

The report alludes to neighboring municipalities doing the same things so...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So is the Fed going to seize control of the Ferguson PD like they did the LAPD back in the day?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seriously. I heard the Racist joke thing and I was kinda disappointed, as yeah it's tasteless as poo poo, but like I've made stereotypical jokes about races before among my peer group. It's wrong but that on the grand scheme of things is tame. Since that was what leaked I wasn't expecting too much.

But Jesus Christ. I had to stop reading after the first like 10 pages or so. I literally started getting lightheaded and angry.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I find it pretty fitting that the DOJ's logo is a bald eagle that looks like it's about to take a big dump on the shield of justice

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm guessing like 90% or more.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

There was the DoJ investigation as to whether Darren Wilson violated Michael Brown's civil rights when he shot him; and then there is the separate investigation as to whether the police and local government violated the civil rights of the protestors (which expanded into the larger community due to reporting by WaPo at the time). Basically had they not killed Brown and had the protests the latter stuff that we are discussing would not have been brought to the light like this. Of course, if this stuff hadn't been going on the town wouldn't have been a powder keg prior to the shooting.

And the indication is this is regular practice for the area. On top of that there have been reports for years about states, counties, and cities doing this stuff to make up for revenue loss after tax cuts (Virginia is a big example). And of course the black communities have been reporting this poo poo targeting them for years that people shrugged off.

It is a widespread problem, if not one of the same degree everywhere.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 4, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So how are our friends and colleagues from across the aisle handwaving this?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

zoux posted:

FERGUSON ON EDGE: Prosecutors consider criminal charges against Michael Brown family members...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

Like, if they had any intellectual integrity and commitment to their principles at all, the GOP and the rest of the right would be going apeshit over this. It is exactly the sort of conditions they claim they fight against. The greater St Louis area consists of 90 municipalities. 90! That's 90 city halls, 90 duplicated services, dozens of police departments, dozens of licensing and registration agencies, etc etc. All this duplication and waste means they are desperate for revenue to fund all this. There is no system of accountability - it is a perfect storm for all kinds of abuse, waste, fraud, and generalized unfairness. So you get this setup where police go around competing with each other to shake down residents. Where new laws, rules, and regulations are created explicitly to shake down residents. Where any dissent is met with brutal violence and a rigged system to punish any who would speak out. Rights are routinely trampled in the name of seizing money to fund petty bureaucrats.

This is the exact thing they warn about when it comes up "hey maybe the banks shouldn't be allowed to defraud customers" or "hey maybe gays should have equal rights" or "hey maybe we should have universal health insurance" or "hey maybe we should try and do something about the nut who killed 20 kids". The situation in Ferguson is its most naked form.

Think we will hear a peep?

They only care about Federal and, to a lesser extent, State Government waste. The local government? No problem, since it's local it can't possibly be wasteful.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Holy poo poo Ferguson PD plays the meow game except with citations:

https://twitter.com/antoniofrench/status/573231455033159680

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Theoretically, how large of a temper tantrum will the right wing throw if the Ferguson PD is seized by the Fed or placed in financial limbo?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PupsOfWar posted:

did u know people like you are a nontrivial part of the reason the rural poor vote Republican

I was kidding, honestly. But why is that? Aren't most Americans spiteful?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/573234626191216640

Also

https://twitter.com/foxnewslive/status/573174863990419457

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
More:

DOJ posted:

In every canine bite incident for which racial information is available, the person bitten was African American.

DOJ posted:

For example, we discovered emails circulated by police supervisors and court staff that stereotype racial minorities as criminals, including one email that joked about an abortion by an African-American woman being a means of crime control.

DOJ posted:

The report stated that the acting prosecutor had reviewed the City’s “high volume offenses” and “started recommending higher fines on these cases, and recommending probation only infrequently.” While the report stated that this recommendation was because of a “large volume of non-compliance,” the recommendation was in fact emphasized as one of several ways that the code enforcement system had been honed to produce more revenue.

DOJ posted:

FPD officers routinely conduct stops that have little relation to public safety and a questionable basis in law. FPD officers routinely issue multiple citations during a single stop, often for the same violation. Issuing three or four charges in one stop is not uncommon in Ferguson. Officers sometimes write six, eight, or, in at least one instance, fourteen citations for a single encounter. Indeed, officers told us that some compete to see who can issue the largest number of citations during a single stop.

DOJ posted:

One commander told us, for example, that when he admonished an officer for writing too many tickets, the officer challenged the commander, asking if the commander was telling him not to do his job. When another commander tried to discipline an officer for over-ticketing, he got the same response from the Chief of Police: “No discipline for doing your job.”

RACISM'S OVER GUYS

There's always going to be the porcine blue line.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

JT Jag posted:

They only care about Federal and, to a lesser extent, State Government waste. The local government? No problem, since it's local it can't possibly be wasteful.

Is there a version of this graph adjusted for population growth, i.e. government employees per capita or something like that?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Literally the only link about it on the Drudge Report. Hillary's e-mail scandal is far far more important than civil rights that deal with bleaugh people.

Oh and in other news, that was fast.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i think the point is that you have some unknowing crankness in you until society shifts in an unexpected direction and suddenly you're the dinosaur for thinking that implanting smartphone chips into infant skulls is bad and wrong

I love how this is probably how our generation is going to dress as old people.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
If the Ferguson PD did dissolve, wouldn't all of the officer's just get jobs at other PD's? Isn't that what happened to the PD Wilson worked at before?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raenir Salazar posted:

I love how this is probably how our generation is going to dress as old people.

A lot of our generation dresses like that today, why would we stop?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Is there a version of this graph adjusted for population growth, i.e. government employees per capita or something like that?
Its the best one of that kind that I can find. The fact that federal employment has remained completely stagnant since World War II ended compared to significant State and huge Local Government growth is the takeaway though. A lot of things that would have once been/used to be federal programs have, over the last 50 years, been delegated to the States or even further down in order to keep the Federal budget low.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

haveblue posted:

A lot of our generation dresses like that today, why would we stop?

I honestly don't know, I just assumed dressing like old people if what you do when you get older!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Literally the only link about it on the Drudge Report. Hillary's e-mail scandal is far far more important than civil rights that deal with bleaugh people.

Oh and in other news, that was fast.

So wtf is he looking for? If he shows up he is going to be arrested and put on trial, and he is high enough profile by now that it won't be able to be some secret trial, it will have to be public. By "Fair Trial" does he mean "Trial where I have assurances the president will pardon me at the end"?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

If the Ferguson PD did dissolve, wouldn't all of the officer's just get jobs at other PD's? Isn't that what happened to the PD Wilson worked at before?

Hard to blackball cops like this when that color causes them to open fire so frequently.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

zoux posted:

I dipped into a Hot Air comments section to see what the consensus is. There are three reactions:
1) It's Holder's DOJ thus lies.
2) Black people are criminals naturally.
3) A deliberate misreading: "The population heavily skews African American, of course they will comprise most of the arrests!"

I can't help but note there isn't a lot of conservative commentary yet, at least not on the "professional" level, meaning outside of comments sections. This I suppose is that buffer of time during which they get their talking points aligned.

e:

:ohdear:

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 4, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The token conservative on my facebook just posted "DARREN WILSON VINDICATED"

Meanwhile, NYC enacts sharia law. Can't wait to see the reactions to that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

So wtf is he looking for? If he shows up he is going to be arrested and put on trial, and he is high enough profile by now that it won't be able to be some secret trial, it will have to be public. By "Fair Trial" does he mean "Trial where I have assurances the president will pardon me at the end"?

Yeah its kind of telling he can't state exactly what element of a fair trial he's negotiating over, but the government refuses to give him.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

haveblue posted:

"Indoctrinating our kids to like Muslim's because they get extra day's off from school for their holidays!" I want to see parents send their kids to school on these days in protest.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Here's a good conservative line. If Ferguson wasn't full of spend happy liberals, the police wouldn't issue more citations. So really, this is just a big government issue.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 4, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

thats nice.

Von Sloneker posted:

I dipped into a Hot Air comments section to see what the consensus is. There are three reactions:
1) It's Holder's DOJ thus lies.
2) Black people are criminals naturally.
3) A deliberate misreading: "The population heavily skews African American, of course they will comprise most of the arrests!"

I can't help but note there isn't a lot of conservative commentary yet, at least not on the "professional" level, meaning outside of comments sections. This I suppose is that buffer of time during which they get their talking points aligned.

e:

:ohdear:

my guess is alot of 3, a descent amount of 1 and a massive undertone of 2. I am curious how the FPD is going to try to cover their asses.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

pengun101 posted:

thats nice.

my guess is alot of 3, a descent amount of 1 and a massive undertone of 2. I am curious how the FPD is going to try to cover their asses.

Why would Ferguson PD care? No one is going to get in any trouble, and the Doj will just tsk-tsk at them until someone louder comes along yelling BENGHAZI and everyone will forget about it.

Reminder that 6 cops who literally shot at black people like zombies in Dawn of the Dead won't go to jail.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fried Chicken posted:

Kindle version of Eric Foner's Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution is only $3.79 now. Hell of a deal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2&pf_rd_i=typ01
Already gone, I woulda bought it :(

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dexo posted:

I'm guessing like 90% or more.

Yeah, have you guys never been to court or had to pay any kind of ticket/fine? The racial stuff is upsetting but everything else is only depressing in how unsurprising it is. Why does my $50 ticket have a $60 "court fee"? Because gently caress you, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lemming posted:

Ideally it's just the feds hauling off most of the city and police to some fedmax or a gas chamber, but realistically yeah don't expect much in the long term because even dissolving the PD isn't going to come close to fixing the root issue. Maybe if the Feds seize the entire greater metropolitan area and just clean house completely and start charging people under RICO or whatever they can for what was basically a city-wide shakedown nothing's going to get fixed.

The DoJ needs the authority to issue employment bans to LEOs. IE: Most of Ferguson would receive temporary bans with the masterminds of this horrible poo poo being barred from any sort of law enforcement work for life. Including any elected positions like Sheriff.

• Locked thread