Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
I have one of everything except the transport but now I'm really tempted to double up for the first time.

Obviously the easy answer is the Aggressor since that's the point of the IG-2000 upgrade card but is it worth buying another Scyk? Already people seem to be a bit down on the StarViper so might give a second one of those a miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The only thing I have bought more than one of is the Y-Wing, because they're the coolest.

I'm not totally sure if the BTL-A4 upgrade card is worth it, since the 360 fire arc of a turret can be really useful.

Then again, BTL-A4 + Autoblaster Turret basically = Space A-10 Warthog.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Halverine posted:

I have one of everything except the transport but now I'm really tempted to double up for the first time.

Obviously the easy answer is the Aggressor since that's the point of the IG-2000 upgrade card but is it worth buying another Scyk? Already people seem to be a bit down on the StarViper so might give a second one of those a miss.

The Starviper has the same problem as the defender of costing too much to kit out to be worth taking more than one, it feels like. Interceptors with heavy scyk titles and a mix of the cheaper cannons (flechette, ion, and mangler) seems like it could be a fun build, but since I only have one scyk and won't have the funds to buy more for a couple weeks, I can't do more than speculate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You could just proxy a few scyks and have some casual games and test things out that way?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

With more freetime I certainly could! Part of the not buying anything is also being in the middle of a move, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I need to try the Starviper with having Xizor with VI. As far as I could see, you can't really PtL with him because the choice of possible green maneuvers is too low and his low PS makes it impossible to arc-dodge against Soontir/Whisper/Echo/A-Wings etc. Still, that's 32 points and for that, the Imps have Soontir with PtL and auto-thruster and a MUCH better dial. I guess you could have Xizor work in conjunction with a swarm/big ship to hand off hits to. The Starviper feels like an E-Wing, but lacks a Corran Horn-like pilot ability which is the only reason why you would take the E-Wing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endman posted:

The only thing I have bought more than one of is the Y-Wing, because they're the coolest.

I'm not totally sure if the BTL-A4 upgrade card is worth it, since the 360 fire arc of a turret can be really useful.

Then again, BTL-A4 + Autoblaster Turret basically = Space A-10 Warthog.

I was going to try a list that consisted of Kavil + Unhinged + PtL + Autoblaster with 3x Syndicate + Unhinged + Autoblaster + BTL-A4, but we literally didn't have enough Y-Wings between myself and my opponent to do that because he also wanted to fly 2 Ys in his list.

The Aggro Wing (4x Syndicate with Agromech and Blasturret) worked out alright, although it seems like just taking 2x Y and then having something else to use up those 56 points works a lot better, since the opponent doesn't get to focus exclusively on the Ys.

Basically, Most Wanted is the best thing to ever happen to the Y-Wing. The day of Y-Wing hegemony has arrived, and it is now.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The day of Y-Wing hegemony has arrived, and it is now.

Praise the Force, I've waited so long.

Now if only Most Wanted was available in Australia/not out-of-stock on Book Depository.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The day of Y-Wing hegemony has arrived, and it is now.

This is the best news I could have received today. Thank the maker.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
For reals. I haven't been excited to try a new list out since Rebel Aces, but now that S&V is out I'm enjoying it again.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Rebel Y-Wings still need a ton of help but it's fun that Y-Wing fans can get a little mileage out of their minis by flying Scum.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

Endman posted:

Praise the Force, I've waited so long.

Now if only Most Wanted was available in Australia/not out-of-stock on Book Depository.

At the very least The Combat Company has some that didn't go to pre orders I believe, even though their website has it listed as out of stock. You could contact them and get them to confirm.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I painted my M3-a Interceptors to match my scum Headhunters. I haven't decided if I want to try drawing the Black Sun insignia on with a micro pen or just leave them as they are.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

They look really cool as they are dude

Ran this tonight and smashed two lists:

IG88B — Aggressor 36
Predator 3
Advanced Sensors 3
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Inertial Dampeners 1
Autothrusters 2
IG2000 0

IG88C — Aggressor 36
Predator 3
Advanced Sensors 3
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Inertial Dampeners 1
Autothrusters 2
IG2000 0

I didn't play against anything super competitive but the IG88s are pretty fun to fly

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'm very tempted to pick up a pair of IG-88s. They seem like a lot of fun and you get a lot of build options even though you're only running two ships.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Important video on the new meta, lot of insight

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chance II posted:

I painted my M3-a Interceptors to match my scum Headhunters. I haven't decided if I want to try drawing the Black Sun insignia on with a micro pen or just leave them as they are.

These look wicked as is but if you think you can add the Black Sun insignia then I say go for it.

I don't even know where you'd place it though since they don't look like they have much open space on them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I usually play rebels, but I only have one Z-95. Should I buy some more, enough for a swarm?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Tried my S&V list out today

+++ Emon and Pals (100pts) +++

++ Scum and Villainy (Standard) (100pts) ++

+ Y-Wing (57pts) +

PS 5 - •Drea Renthal (27pts) [BTL-A4 Y-Wing, Ion Cannon Turret (5pts)]

PS 7 - •Kavil (30pts) [Autoblaster Turret (2pts), Opportunist (4pts)]

+ Firespray-31 (43pts) +

PS 6 - •Emon Azzameen (43pts) [Intelligence Agent (1pts), 3x Seismic Charges (6pts), •Andrasta]

Drea did not perform, but I mostly attribute that to being focused down by Corran Horn and two B-Wings on the second turn. Emon was fun, but seems like he might be missing something to keep him in the fight, I was thinking about finding room for Inertial Dampeners or something.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Endman posted:

I usually play rebels, but I only have one Z-95. Should I buy some more, enough for a swarm?

I've had luck and a good time playing both XXXZZZ and Two Bs with HLC and AS with Three Zs. That said, I would only get more if they sound fun to fly, which you might be able to extrapolate a bit from the one you have.

Endman
May 18, 2010

parabolic posted:

I've had luck and a good time playing both XXXZZZ and Two Bs with HLC and AS with Three Zs. That said, I would only get more if they sound fun to fly, which you might be able to extrapolate a bit from the one you have.

I've had fun with the one I've got, so I reckon I'll grab another two. XXXZZZ sounds pretty fun and I've already got the three X-wings from a combination of the core set, x expansion and rebel transport.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endman posted:

I've had fun with the one I've got, so I reckon I'll grab another two.

Grab Most Wanted! That way you get two Zs and what you need to start paying Scum.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those Z's don't come with Rebel pilots and ship tokens though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Unless you intend to play in a tournament, that really doesn't matter.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Unless you intend to play in a tournament, that really doesn't matter.

True, and I do have a passionate, almost sexual love for the Y-wing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Really wanna try N'Dru + Clusters + predator

8 dice opening attack on 1 ship for 24 points :getin:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endman posted:

True, and I do have a passionate, almost sexual love for the Y-wing.

I'll say it again: Y-Wing lovers, buy Most Wanted. It's the best thing to ever happen to us. :swoon:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'll say it again: Y-Wing lovers, buy Most Wanted. It's the best thing to ever happen to us. :swoon:

Just ordered Most Wanted. I am braced for the year of the Y-Wing.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I finally found a place in Mississippi that does X-Wing (only 90 minutes from me!) so I just pulled the trigger on ordering Scum. Gets here Friday!

My wallet... :smithicide:

e: I want to run this:

IG-88C
Veteran Instincts
Advanced Sensors
Autothrusters
Inertial Dampers
IG-2000
Heavy Laser Cannon

IG-88D
Veteran Instincts
Advanced Sensors
Autothrusters
Inertial Dampers
IG-2000
Heavy Laser Cannon

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 4, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I never know if its worth taking the HLC on the Aggressor or not. Sure, you get 4 dice at range, but if you are flying the IG-88B (and honestly, why wouldn't you? Free gunner!), if the enemy is at range 1 you lose the gunner shot. Unless you went crazy and got the HLC and the Mangler, but that seems rather expensive.

Maybe this:

IG-88B (36)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Autoblaster (5)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

IG-88C (36)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Autoblaster (5)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

:v:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My other thought was swapping the Inertial Dampers for a Hot Shot Blaster and then dropping the HLC for...something? Proton Bombs? Go full-on knife-fighter and take Autoblaster? Playing in close means I get slightly less benefit from Autothrusters but I'm more able to arc-dodge with the hard-3 Segnors and boosts so it probably balances out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

To be honest the Mangler is perfectly workable and the 1-3 range is nice and functions well with the cannon-only gunner of the B.The problem with VI on the Aggressor is that you are still not hitting the PS 9 sweetspot in which there are most of the arc-dodgers (Soontir, Jake, Whisper for example).

I kinda like the setup I was running, with the IG-88B and D (although I would get B and C now tbh), running manglers, PtL, FCS (for the gunner-like ability) and Hot-Shot Blasters with Munition Failsafes.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

overdesigned posted:

I finally found a place in Mississippi that does X-Wing (only 90 minutes from me!) so I just pulled the trigger on ordering Scum. Gets here Friday!

My wallet... :smithicide:

e: I want to run this:

IG-88C
Veteran Instincts
Advanced Sensors
Autothrusters
Inertial Dampers
IG-2000
Heavy Laser Cannon

IG-88D
Veteran Instincts
Advanced Sensors
Autothrusters
Inertial Dampers
IG-2000
Heavy Laser Cannon

You're probably down in the Gulf but we have the Starkville Hobby Club that I go to and Tupelo Sports Cards has a pretty big x-wing following.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I really think after playing B&C, that B&D is the way to go. Segnor's with a turn template is ridiculous, you can take the HLC and have four dice range 1-3 (just use primary at range one), and use advanced sensors to boost before looping to get your evade token. And also fly around the board like a crazy man.

B is really nice with Manglers, but I just feel that D gives you more options and can really prevent your opponent from having any idea where you're going to go.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
7 points left on this, not sure what to take:

IG-88B (36)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Blaster Turret (4)
R4 Agromech (2)

Syndicate Thug (18)
Blaster Turret (4)
R4 Agromech (2)

Total: 93

I think the Aggressor might be the anchor those two Ys need to shine, since it's pretty sturdy and packs a punch. I could just take the Ys up to PS4, or make one of them Kavil.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
7 free points and a cannon slot means HLC, right? More dice for when their shields are up; switch to the Mangler once those crits can land.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It has a mangler cannon

I would pick up Autothrusters for sure and drop FCS for Advanced Sensors, then upgrade one of the Thugs

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Chance II posted:

You're probably down in the Gulf but we have the Starkville Hobby Club that I go to and Tupelo Sports Cards has a pretty big x-wing following.

Starkville is about the same distance as the place I found in Hattiesburg--I'm in Meridian. I couldn't find anything in Jackson or Tuscaloosa, but maybe I need to look harder. Meridian appears to be essentially a gaming ghost town.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Meridian? I'm surprised there isn't anyone from the base doing anything. We have a lot of members come from the airforce base in Columbus at the Starkville club. I actually live about an hour from either Starkville or Tupelo so I feel your pain about the drive. I think that the problem with games in MS is more organizational than lack of interest.

Edit: I think I remember there being a game shop (Crimson Castle or something) in Tuscaloosa that did Magic and 40k but that was before the big storm a few years ago. I don't know if they are still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I really like FCS compared to Advanced Sensors if you are going to take the B: having a guaranteed TL for the second shot is nice.

• Locked thread