Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
TSM or c9 will win playoffs regardless of standings because they're the only teams in NA that can reliably win best ofs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Marin Karin posted:

agreed. we should also end lcs now and get to the more important competition, piglet vs lustboy in brood war.

Lustboy can make the lateral move to Starcraft pro, take down Flash in the WCS finals, and gain his power. Then he can retire to HotS and beat up Idra for the next few years.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Short interview with GBM about his change in style and some stuff about the west

He thinks Pobelter could do well in OGN out of all the NA mids, which is interesting.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sexpansion posted:

I'm going to go ahead right now and say that I think either Liquid or TIP is going to be the #1 team at the end of the split.

The last time I remember such confidence in this thread is when people were claiming that Dig was a lock in for 10th place.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

TSM or c9 will win playoffs regardless of standings because they're the only teams in NA that can reliably win best ofs though.

The worst part is TSM will lose a few games and people will act like they're the underdogs despite never missing a LCS playoff finals.

Thinking back, the only teams to go to the playoff finals in NA are TSM, C9, and Coast.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 4, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Short interview with GBM about his change in style and some stuff about the west

He thinks Pobelter could do well in OGN out of all the NA mids, which is interesting.

Pobelter already speaks the language and is really good and seems to be the most gated by his dumb team

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

He also absolutely creamed Korean solo queue recently and was in high challenger I am pretty sure.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
On the one hand, you've got a promising young talent who speaks english and will play for peanuts compared to established players.

On the other hand, you've got a hasbeen with a clearly unstable personality.

Roll a 20.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Marin Karin posted:

agreed. we should also end lcs now and get to the more important competition, piglet vs lustboy in brood war.

I think Lustboy said Piglet was briefly a SC pro, although he never played in any real significant matches. In the mean time we can watch Lustboy crush NA solo queue players in SC.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Wat: https://www.facebook.com/winterfoxgg/posts/964792280198888

tl;dr: Altec to Support, Paragon (current coach) to ADC

Why didn't they just bring back Gleeb? It seemed like that was a solid botlane.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Imagine has 4 loving games with the team and they're gonna bench him?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
That's a pretty huge conflict of interest to just have the coach replace one of the players in lineup. Like what the gently caress.

"Scarra didn't like how Link played his signature Gragas in Week 9 so he's benching him for the playoffs and implementing a strict Scarra-only Gragas policy for all future CLG drafts."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

That's a pretty huge conflict of interest to just have the coach replace one of the players in lineup. Like what the gently caress.

"Scarra didn't like how Link played his signature Gragas in Week 9 so he's benching him for the playoffs and implementing a strict Scarra-only Gragas policy for all future CLG drafts."

Altec asked to switch, so this isn't really like that. It is weird that the coach is going to ADC though.

Typical Pubbie posted:

On the one hand, you've got a promising young talent who speaks english and will play for peanuts compared to established players.

On the other hand, you've got a hasbeen with a clearly unstable personality.

Roll a 20.

I am not sure how much of that is them not getting the sunk cost fallacy or how much is Keith still being in school and not being able to scrim as much / live in the house.

edit: WFX Piglet incoming.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What's the point of being more vocal when no one can understand you Altec.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Haha the gently caress is going on

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

I am not sure how much of that is them not getting the sunk cost fallacy or how much is Keith still being in school and not being able to scrim as much / live in the house.

That's a good point and the only reason I can think of not to start Keith, but the press release made no mention of scheduling conflicts with school.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I guess WFX didn't want to be outdone by their Elements. :psyduck:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just pointing out the Riot ESPN wanna be Prime Time League is coming on in one minute from this post.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

holy poo poo WFX what are you doing

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Doing their best CLG impression

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
lol that WFX roster change

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted to like WFX, but man, what the hell.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Soooo... Why aren't more people playing Hecarim? He seems an INSANE lategame carry.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Calax posted:

Soooo... Why aren't more people playing Hecarim? He seems an INSANE lategame carry.

Haven't seen him be a game winning carry in the top lane yet, seen him do well, but he can't hold a game on his own

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
That Winterfox change is pretty strange. No idea what they're thinking or if it will work.

Someone broke down CLG's early game to show how strong it is - amazing how much they get ahead early

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Calax posted:

I think enough people are playing Hecarim as it is, at least if you look at LCK and LPL. He's not magic, if your top sucks at flanking, and can't reliably get to the backline and tie up key people, he just ends up running around at top speed doing nothing. I'll never get tired of watching rainbow Hecarim homeguard tp ganks, but with the current state of top and the way laneswaps still do come in, Hecarim isn't a champion you can just slot into any comp.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Hec needs to build expensive damage items to get rolling and if he gets behind he just fails a dive on the enemy carry and gets instapopped. A lot of succeeding on Hec is good tp coordination and most teams in the west don't have that.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Disinterested posted:

Hec needs to build expensive damage items to get rolling and if he gets behind he just fails a dive on the enemy carry and gets instapopped. A lot of succeeding on Hec is good tp coordination and most teams in the west don't have that.

Even in Korea they often fail to make any TP plays with the Hecarim. Its a gamble and it sucks if it doesnt pay off.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by every Hecarim I've seen so far except for Keane's insane game he played on it Mid back in Challenger Series ages ago. None of the recent top lane Teleport/Ignite Hecarim's have done anything impressive in my opinion.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

They've fed pretty impressively.

(Altec you son of a bitch you were my flex.)

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
it's loving garbage to play a tank right now because you don't do anything and also aren't ever that tanky but it's way too risky to play melee top that actually wants a damage item because you'll get swapped on and have 8 cs at 6 minutes. So hecarim is ok but ultimately he's too risky if you dont build straight tank and thats kind of lovely. Meanwhile you can be any ap that your mid laner didn't dibs and farm safely in a frozen lane. I think hecarim is really strong solo lane right now but you just aren't allowed to play it. In solo q you can get bodied by like some cheese stuff but you can really see the power.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

watching any LCS top laner play soloqueue Hecarim vs the likes of Blem & company is hilarious

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

it's loving garbage to play a tank right now because you don't do anything and also aren't ever that tanky but it's way too risky to play melee top that actually wants a damage item because you'll get swapped on and have 8 cs at 6 minutes. So hecarim is ok but ultimately he's too risky if you dont build straight tank and thats kind of lovely. Meanwhile you can be any ap that your mid laner didn't dibs and farm safely in a frozen lane. I think hecarim is really strong solo lane right now but you just aren't allowed to play it. In solo q you can get bodied by like some cheese stuff but you can really see the power.

This is really the overall problem with pro top lane. Basically any top lane pick has to be comfortable with a possible lane swap dump getting taken on them which blows.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
That wouldn't be as much of an issue if pro teams were willing to aggressively counterswap and force the other team to take the conventional lane match ups, but they really value that dragon even though early on it isn't worth anything, compared to when it gave you gold. So the team that gets swapped on just takes the swap and takes dragon as the consolation prize and pro top laners get left with nothing.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Libertine posted:

I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by every Hecarim I've seen so far except for Keane's insane game he played on it Mid back in Challenger Series ages ago. None of the recent top lane Teleport/Ignite Hecarim's have done anything impressive in my opinion.

The play in the Samsung vs. GE Tigers games last night was pretty solid, but definitely showed the weakness of getting behind.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

wodin posted:

The play in the Samsung vs. GE Tigers games last night was pretty solid, but definitely showed the weakness of getting behind.

I just finished watching that series now and I've caught up on all the LCK games now where he's been played. Watching him it seems like every fight starts with a ton of potential and then he gets to the backline but takes a lot of damage on the way, and he might be able to burst a carry faster than another top laner and get to them at speeds which are hard to react to, but then what? If the other team is tankier you basically just lose the outlast fight. He also really struggles in a lot of lane matchups and suffers from requiring a core item build that is really expensive.

I also think Teleport/Ignite is really dumb universally, and I am not sure why anyone (even the pros doing it) think it's more valuable than running a second mobility spell (either Flash or Ghost) with Hecarim, both of which would help him get to the backline (or escape from) those tricky scenarios that define almost the entirety of his late game play.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ what the poo poo is even happening with witnerfox right now lmao

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Altec must have really really hated laning with Imagine.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Avalon is clear and away the worst player on Winterfox so instead of having him replaced, Altec breaks under pressure trying to carry the two okay at best Korean imports they brought in and moves to support. Their coach was on IM during Season 2 and couldn't cut it as a pro player back then before becoming a coach. If Winterfox has the money, they should just throw it at players from Samsung. Maybe they can free Spirit and throw him in the top lane.

Helios seems to have brought the CJ Entus stubbornness about roster changes along with him from Korea, huh?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
There are like at least three amazing Korean players WFX could probably import from China if they were willing (or able) to pay them. They could probably get Flame for the right price for god's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Winterfox is a team that should be putting everything in place to compete for the top of the NA LCS, but instead they are just doing all the most head-scratching things to compete for the floor of the division.

They should have just absorbed the better parts of Fusion along with Gleeb after Fusion failed out of the CS.

Get Gleeb and Maknoon, and if helios didn't like playing on a team without his brother just bring in the fuckin Nintendude.

I just feel like Pobelter and Altec are extremely good homegrown NA players who are constantly surrounded by lovely imports weighing them down like loving anchors and I feel bad for both of those guys.

• Locked thread