Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

Philistine.

[Edit: I've been dreaming about buying cheap land on the west coast of Tasmania and doing the same thing for a while now, but my girlfriend is passionately against it (and probably with good reason) so it remains a dream.]
Shittest house in the nicest street you can find is still a good way to go.

You can do whatever you want to the house but a good location is always a good location.

Sell it down the line for a slice of Tasmanian lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Auspol: Where if you stare at the Cartoon long enough, eventually it stares back into you.

Rack me up as another 'move into isolation and start a solar-powered orchard where I can grow a huge-rear end beard and be the inspiration for a slasher film' auspoller.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Wouldn't New Zealand be a better choice for isolation?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aaronicon posted:

start a solar-powered orchard where I can grow a huge-rear end beard and be the inspiration for a slasher film

I'm not sure you know how beards or orchards work :crossarms:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

NTRabbit posted:

I'm not sure you know how beards or orchards work :crossarms:

Not true, Apple trees are indeed solar powered

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Auspol March - Only poor people buy houses. The rich live and poo poo in the woods

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
RAR'ed the Housing bubble thread here: http://www.filedropper.com/whyaustraliaisscrewed

I didn't the edit the html so that each page links normally together, you'll have to click individually on each page.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Apart from a crash, I've been holding out hope that either I manage to get a job where I can work from home (in the Brave New Internet Gig Economy) or that society sort of shifts that way anyway over the next 10-15 years. I would no issue living in the countryside. As long as it was near mountains or the sea, gently caress moving out to the endless plains of wheat.

I know that makes me sound super finicky but I was in the Dandenongs a few years ago and happened to be looking at a real estate window. I'd assumed the place would have been inflated halfway to hell by treechangers, but nope, you can still get a 5-bedroom farmhouse for $500,000. Unless it's just that I'm from WA and I'm overestimating how hungry the general public is for leafy green mountain living?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The problem with leafy green mountain living in the South East of Australia is that you are surrounding yourself with fuel in the most fire prone region on the planet.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Gough Suppressant posted:

The problem with leafy green mountain living in the South East of Australia is that you are surrounding yourself with fuel in the most fire prone region on the planet.

And it will probably only get worse with the effects of climate change!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Gough Suppressant posted:

One of the things I checked put before moving. If you go to the right area, it's less of a worry.

Of course, major bushfires tend not to occur in the same place time after time, so it's still a bit of luck. There are ways and methods of reducing your risk (don't plant eucalyptus trees that literally explode during a fire right next to your house) and other species that don't burn as much (fruit trees, succulents and the like).

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Frogmanv2 posted:

One of the things I checked put before moving. If you go to the right area, it's less of a worry.

Of course, major bushfires tend not to occur in the same place time after time, so it's still a bit of luck. There are ways and methods of reducing your risk (don't plant eucalyptus trees that literally explode during a fire right next to your house) and other species that don't burn as much (fruit trees, succulents and the like).

You're going to die in a firestorm which will be found to have been avoidable if not for massive budget cuts 12 months prior.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Smegmatron posted:

You're going to die in a firestorm which will be found to have been avoidable if not for massive budget cuts 12 months prior.

I think you'll find it's greenies who cause all the fires and country road deaths by stopping trees being cut down.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Mountain drivers will kill you long before the bushfires do.

The Dandenongs particularly combines the worst aspects of suburban Melbourne drivers and single lane roads with walls of rock on one side and cliff edges on the other.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Australia is undoubtedly the lucky country. Only through inexplicable good fortune and random chance has it reached its present prosperity, in spite of the Australians.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

OK then maybe move to the inner "city" of one of the larger towns like Newcastle or Bendigo. You can scoff at that if you want, but I assure you, when you grow up in Western Australian country towns, the gold rush era towns in the eastern states feel like European UNESCO world heritage sites.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I plan on buying my cheap-rear end house in the Balkans. Maybe a little holiday apartment on Lake Bled.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Move to Eaglehawk just north of Bendigo. You're close to bushland and yet not that far away from a major population centre. Plus they have a duck pond.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Zetsubou-san posted:

Move to Eaglehawk just north of Bendigo. You're close to bushland and yet not that far away from a major population centre. Plus they have a duck pond.

NO MOSQUE NO MOSQUE NO MOSQUE (no thnx)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zetsubou-san posted:

This sounds like a classic real estate over sell. I bet the duck ponds is just swarming with geese.

gently caress geese.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Majestic posted:

My wife and I have just bought our first home, though our experience is highly atypical, since my mum left me a large chunk of money when she passed away a couple of years ago. We've been able to buy a good sized house in a high end area, and we're actually paying less per month than we were in rent. I may well just be an example of the cognitive bias Sulla mentioned, but I have to say that there are definitely some strong emotional positives to owning a home.

I spent most of my childhood moving between rental homes, often when we didn't want to move, but were forced to. I haven't had awful experiences renting as adults, but being forced to deal with rear end in a top hat property managers who really don't seem to care if you're alive or dead is a pretty tedious experience. My wife having a garden she can plant things in, knowing that she'll be able to see the results in ten years, is bringing her a lot of happiness. There is just a general feeling of permanence that "owning" a home (or having a bank own a home) gives that renting cannot.

I think it's a poor decision from a financial point of view, but it's worth the loss of revenue from investments etc for us. As I said, our case is unusual, in that we've made no real sacrifices in terms of lifestyle, but I do think it's important not to underestimate some of the emotional benefits to owning your own place. You just shouldn't feel obligated to do it. If you're happy renting, then you should absolutely keep renting, you'll end up with more money in the long run.

Sorry to jump back like a dozen pages but I don't get to check the thread too frequently.
What you mentioned about your mother leaving you a bit of money, sadly, and I don't know if it's considered wrong to think this, but when my mother dies my brother and I will inherit a really decent rural property that either of us could quite comfortably live on, or make investments from afterwards even with capital gains tax considered. I don't know if it's a bad way of thinking to rely on this happening in the future? Granted it probably won't happen for another 25-30 years (hell, my mum will probably outlive me anyway). But honestly with so much information coming from both sides of the 'to buy or not to buy' is it really a safe thing to consider just sitting on my hands floating around and waiting for that to happen? In Sulla's post with pros+cons of home ownership (also :golfclap: to the person who lol'd @ "Ownership" in the name) honestly the cons seem to far outweigh the pros.

A lot of my friends have all bought into the sprawl of the outer western Suburbs in Melbourne and a couple of them have even got bought their second property, but their mortgages are loving huge and I have a small suspicion they're just doing the "BUYBUYBUY" thing because it's the thing to do. Idk, at the end of a 12 hour shift and I'm probably rambling. Honestly the whole thing scares the living poo poo out of me.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

dr_rat posted:

This sounds like a classic real estate over sell. I bet the duck ponds is just swarming with geese.

gently caress geese.

ducks.

and swans.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Julie Bishop apparently offered a prisoner swap deal to Indonesia for Chan and Sukumuran, offering to send over some Indonesians in jail in Australia for an even bigger drug bust.

In what loving parallel world does something as stupid as this actually get floated officially to another country? Jesus Christ.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Wouldn't those Indonesians in Aussie jails essentially be murdered by Indonesia, then? I mean, executed?

What the gently caress is wrong with the liberal party

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Wouldn't those Indonesians in Aussie jails essentially be murdered by Indonesia, then? I mean, executed?

They aren't even Australian though.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Who the gently caress even knows?

The impetus behind it seems to be Bishops belief that Indonesia loves executing people, just loving loves it, doesn't matter who, which I would imagine Indonesia finds pretty loving offensive.

Also there's the fact that the people concerned haven't been found guilty in courts in the country they would be sent to.

Australia does not do extradition to jurisdictions where people may face the death penalty unless a letter of understanding is sought(which apparently it is being, which makes it even more bizarre)

Just what in the gently caress does she imagine Indonesia sees as the value of the proposition.

That's not even considering the fact that prisoner swaps are generally what you talk about with terrorist groups or states you are at war with, with the intention of prisoner release.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Zenithe posted:

They aren't even Australian though.

gently caress I forgot about this

fuckwit nation

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Reminder: this is the same Julie Bishop who got moved from shadow treasurer because she is less competent than joe loving hockey

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I don't understand what she thinks Indonesia is getting from this.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Shut up, shut up, shut up

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
So what is people's advice for those who are interested in buying larger plots of land? If renting is so great, are there places to rent at around the 1 hectare size?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
We want Barabbas

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Sorry to jump back like a dozen pages but I don't get to check the thread too frequently.
What you mentioned about your mother leaving you a bit of money, sadly, and I don't know if it's considered wrong to think this, but when my mother dies my brother and I will inherit a really decent rural property that either of us could quite comfortably live on, or make investments from afterwards even with capital gains tax considered. I don't know if it's a bad way of thinking to rely on this happening in the future? Granted it probably won't happen for another 25-30 years (hell, my mum will probably outlive me anyway). But honestly with so much information coming from both sides of the 'to buy or not to buy' is it really a safe thing to consider just sitting on my hands floating around and waiting for that to happen? In Sulla's post with pros+cons of home ownership (also :golfclap: to the person who lol'd @ "Ownership" in the name) honestly the cons seem to far outweigh the pros.

A lot of my friends have all bought into the sprawl of the outer western Suburbs in Melbourne and a couple of them have even got bought their second property, but their mortgages are loving huge and I have a small suspicion they're just doing the "BUYBUYBUY" thing because it's the thing to do. Idk, at the end of a 12 hour shift and I'm probably rambling. Honestly the whole thing scares the living poo poo out of me.

Its pretty much the only way anyone our age is hoping to pay off their homes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Guy Sebastian's off to Eurovision, the Intergenerational Report Into Please Don't Mention Climate Change is out at noon, and Ricky Muir is speaking in the Senate.

Interesting day in Auspol.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
That TISM petition got us nowhere. Slacktivism is dead to me.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Guy Sebastian's off to Eurovision

OH GET hosed GET ABSOLUTELY hosed.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

lol

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Eurovision is one of things that is so bad it's just bad. I like kitsch as much as the next guy, but Eurovision is just a tragedy and if you enjoy it, ironically or not, you are a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Nam Taf posted:

OH GET hosed GET ABSOLUTELY hosed.

Can we trade Guy Sebastian to Indonesia for the drug smugglers?

• Locked thread