Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

gently caress Your Website posted:

Animoog is a must-have imo

Wait til it's on sale, though. It just was, but it also went on sale around the first of the year last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Animoog is a must-have imo

Yeah. The interface design is great, and I actually think it's easily one of the best-sounding iOS synths as well.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Any recommendations for a portable keyboard for the iPad? I was considering the Korg Nanokeys2, but the Keith McMillen QuNexus has some cool extra features, and would work with synth gear as well.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I'm going to start reading this thread over for good sport but I thought I'd pitch in ahead of time to see if anyone has some experience tracking bass guitar for use with Logic Pro on a MacBook later. My band is self-produced and with the iPad Air I was lucky enough to get for Christmas, I will hopefully be able to do a little cheap with getting tracks perfect.

I know there isn't a Logic app for iPad (besides the controller) but I have heard that GarageBand can record to usable file types to be exchanged with Logic. Any recommendations on alternate apps are welcome. What I'm really looking for now is the best interface for recording bass guitar. Even on the MacBook we have had troubles with getting levels right and my bass often becomes an R-bass'd out lifeless mess. I'd like to be able to improve on it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stabbing Spork posted:

Any recommendations for a portable keyboard for the iPad? I was considering the Korg Nanokeys2, but the Keith McMillen QuNexus has some cool extra features, and would work with synth gear as well.

Having had them both, the extra cost is worth it to go for the QuNexus, if for no other reason than build quality. Plus it does CV which is an added bonus. I'd say the nanokeys are almost overpriced for their quality. They're fine for what they are, but mine didn't last long in a backpack.

Edit: they both play and feel pretty different, so I recommend getting your hands on a QuNexus before buying to make sure it's right for you. It takes some adjustment to get used to playing on one. The nano's keys are basically just buttons, can't remember if they have any velocity capability.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 27, 2014

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I'm going to start reading this thread over for good sport but I thought I'd pitch in ahead of time to see if anyone has some experience tracking bass guitar for use with Logic Pro on a MacBook later. My band is self-produced and with the iPad Air I was lucky enough to get for Christmas, I will hopefully be able to do a little cheap with getting tracks perfect.

I know there isn't a Logic app for iPad (besides the controller) but I have heard that GarageBand can record to usable file types to be exchanged with Logic. Any recommendations on alternate apps are welcome. What I'm really looking for now is the best interface for recording bass guitar. Even on the MacBook we have had troubles with getting levels right and my bass often becomes an R-bass'd out lifeless mess. I'd like to be able to improve on it.

What app you use probably matters a lot less than what interface you use. What interface you use will probably determine what app you use, but recording direct bass audio frankly isn't that tough.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

What app you use probably matters a lot less than what interface you use. What interface you use will probably determine what app you use, but recording direct bass audio frankly isn't that tough.

As long as it can trade back and forth with Logic when I move poo poo to the Mac.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Looking for an ipad/iphone 6+ app that will basically serve as a rhythm band for my guitar playing. Metronomes are obvious choices on the app store but I'm looking for something that can give me a good 'classic rock' backing drum section at a moments notice.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The drum grid in Garage Band?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MoDrum is more electronic dance oriented, but would be perfectly suitable for backing drums for solo practice.

You can make fantastically complicated patterns really quickly.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Having had them both, the extra cost is worth it to go for the QuNexus, if for no other reason than build quality. Plus it does CV which is an added bonus. I'd say the nanokeys are almost overpriced for their quality. They're fine for what they are, but mine didn't last long in a backpack.

Edit: they both play and feel pretty different, so I recommend getting your hands on a QuNexus before buying to make sure it's right for you. It takes some adjustment to get used to playing on one. The nano's keys are basically just buttons, can't remember if they have any velocity capability.

Thanks for the info, I'll find a place to try out the QuNexus before buying one.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thanks for the input! I grabbed Gadget, and it's a ton of fun to play around with so far. I'll probably end up with at least one other one by the end of the year, since it's hard to resist the call of the sales, but I think this is a good start.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Animoog and Filtatron are on sale. Go forth and burn your offerings to the synth gods :getin:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Camel Audio, makers of Alchemy, are closing their doors and you can no longer buy their IAP. Never bought a Alchemy myself but still, pour a forty.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

drat, that's unfortunate. I got a lot of use out of Alchemy over the years. Time to backup the ten gigs of libraries I bought.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

What's the hot modern interface for Thunderbolt iPads these days? I see iRig is putting out a second model with a gain control. I may or may not be going to NAMM this month and can't wait to look around for any and every iPad accessory. I remember they were a hot ticket item a couple years ago when I got to go. I'd really like to get started trying to produce on this thing.

I'm kind of bummed out by the reaction from my band, though. My frontman wishes I had returned it and used they money to get a used MacBook so he could pirate Logic Pro 9 for me. However, at this point, I'm over trying to take the Logic tracks and do any re-recording with them; I'm probably going to focus on learning the in's and out's of self-production, and maybe I'll get the chance to use it to produce my surf rock band if we ever get together.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Full DAW production is still very much the realm of computers though; I wouldn't really advise teaching yourself production with Cubasis or Auria. iPads are good at a lot of things, but definitely more on the old gear emulation/weird sound maker/sketch producer/MIDI controller side of things rather than the production side.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Full DAW production is still very much the realm of computers though; I wouldn't really advise teaching yourself production with Cubasis or Auria. iPads are good at a lot of things, but definitely more on the old gear emulation/weird sound maker/sketch producer/MIDI controller side of things rather than the production side.

Agreed. Though Berklee Online will be offering a "Music Production with the iPad" course in the spring, which both impresses me and makes me cringe.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Yamaha just put its arpeggiator/drum pad apps on sale, by which I mean they are giving them away. (US only, sorry.)
One is a MIDI controller that is regularly 3.99 and the other comes with a load of tones built in and is regularly 7.99

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 22, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Also, Casio just released a CZ softsynth and it's pretty good (though pricey at 20$). At least it allows for 4 instances of polytimbrlity.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

It's the later (read: period where guests start arriving) half of the NAMM event and we can expect a lot of new iPad gadgetry, as well as sales on existing gadgets. Everyone keep a sharp eye out, I just wish I could have made it to NAMM to do a live trip report.

Also, the Korg Gadget and Module, and their respective expansions, have now all gone on sale. I believe they are now something around half-price (Gadget is currently 19.99)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Gadget is my Sketchpad for when I have ideas away from home, so thanks for the heads up. I wish it out putted midi though.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Are there any apps that create a tape delay effect?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FLUX:FX

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Thanks man.

:eyepop: £15! I might try and find a cheaper app but FLUX looks really good.

Edit: AUFX:Dub looks like it might be good. Anyone a fan?

UncleBlazer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 2, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Space echo might be what you're looking for but I haven't used it in a year so I don't remember too well. Haven't used Dub myself.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FLUX:FX is a wonderful app with lots of different effects, so if you just need tape delay, it might be overkill. It's also very very resource hungry and has pegged the CPU on my Air 1 before. Kymatica is a great dev and I would probably own all of their effects if I didn't have flux.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Mac VST version of Sunrizer is out for $50. It trades presets back and forth with the mobile version.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'd use Sunriser on the iPad a whole lot more if it didn't insist on starting with that damned iTar 2 patch every launch. Not that it's a bad patch, but it's a bit of menu diving to get to an init patch when I want something quick.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
loving most iOS synths do that and it's pretty annoying.
I would like to take this opportunity to point out 3 things.

1: Sunrizer handles .scl scala tuning files. So you can use it to do microtunings and equal temperament and other non-tet12 stuff.
2: The Casio PD app now handles background audio. It's four parts polytimbrle, sounds a hell of a lot like a cz-1 and looks a lot like one too. It is a super good synth and more people should buy it so that Casio has an incentive to continue their recent return to pro audio endeavors.
3: Also on the microtonal front, Wilsonic is cool as hell.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
And I forgot about it until I was finishing a song last night but SoundScaper is also loving excellent. It's basically a circuit bent sampler, you load a sample then pick which memory addresses are active and how it cycles through it. It's also got some nice modulation and a filter section. It can play back 3 samples at once and has a really good visual stereo imaging interface. End result is that you get these crazy circuit bent sounding zen trip out ambient drones going on and you look down and 10 minutes have passed with out you even realizing it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

And I forgot about it until I was finishing a song last night but SoundScaper is also loving excellent. It's basically a circuit bent sampler, you load a sample then pick which memory addresses are active and how it cycles through it. It's also got some nice modulation and a filter section. It can play back 3 samples at once and has a really good visual stereo imaging interface. End result is that you get these crazy circuit bent sounding zen trip out ambient drones going on and you look down and 10 minutes have passed with out you even realizing it.

drat, thanks for the tip! Checked out some demos and bought this thang immediately, seems p. fantastic.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Something that happened a few months ago and I forgot about until just now: touchosc updated to include support for sysex messages. Your dreams of making patch editors for ios may yet some day become reality.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Something that happened a few months ago and I forgot about until just now: touchosc updated to include support for sysex messages. Your dreams of making patch editors for ios may yet some day become reality.

Sweet, I gave up trying to do sysex on Lemur ages ago. Maybe now I'll be able to do editors for non CC stuff and never use them either.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Sizone posted:

That's great to know. I always almost bought Lemur so I could get sysex, but then didn't because I already had touch osc.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

So here's something I've been kicking around, done 95% on Gadget: https://soundcloud.com/epaulet/kingfish

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theflyingexecutive posted:

So here's something I've been kicking around, done 95% on Gadget: https://soundcloud.com/epaulet/kingfish

I really like it!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Stabbing Spork posted:

Thanks for the info, I'll find a place to try out the QuNexus before buying one.

I got a QuNexus and am overall really pleased with it, though I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface on using its capabilities. It's pretty dang compact and very durable, have no problem carrying it in a small satchel with a tablet. Yesterday I was on a plane for a few hours and was messing around with some melodies by just plugging it into my phone and listening through earphones.

I use the ThumbJam app to play through, pretty happy with the body of sounds. I just can't figure out yet how to import microntonal scales, just intonation, etc. from Scala onto my iPhone.

Question for the thread: what's a good option for a speaker that I can plug into my phone so I can play my QuNexus out loud? Not looking for some huge blast, just something that puts out volume comparable to an acoustic guitar or so. Any reasonably compact option so I can jam with friends in the park?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I use the ThumbJam app to play through, pretty happy with the body of sounds. I just can't figure out yet how to import microntonal scales, just intonation, etc. from Scala onto my iPhone.

Open up iTunes, open the app page. On the bottom half of the page will be all the apps that can import or export files, click on the one you want to stuff something into (thumbjamb in this case), scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen, click I think it's "add file" browse over to the .scl files you want, add them then sync.

It's stupidly convoluted for how simple it is, iTunes is the worst.

Be forewarned that because it's sample playback, and because of how multisamples are handled, thumbjam does really weird poo poo to pitches when you try to play in microtonal scales. You really need to make your own samples, in scale, then put together an instrument pack for it, which basically defeats any convenience or ease of using it for non-12tet stuff (you need something that can handle microtonality to generate the sounds with in the first place, so why not use that). If sunrizer or z3ta will run on an iphone, they're way easier to work with for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Sizone posted:

Be forewarned that because it's sample playback, and because of how multisamples are handled, thumbjam does really weird poo poo to pitches when you try to play in microtonal scales. You really need to make your own samples, in scale, then put together an instrument pack for it, which basically defeats any convenience or ease of using it for non-12tet stuff (you need something that can handle microtonality to generate the sounds with in the first place, so why not use that). If sunrizer or z3ta will run on an iphone, they're way easier to work with for that.

z3ta is like $20, and Sunrizer like $3, so I got the latter now. I'm still not really clear on how to implement microtonal with Sunrizer, I see people noting that you can do so, but it's not in the manual from the developer. This will take some digging; anyone already done this successfully?

• Locked thread