Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Did they nerf Seduction?
Previously, I couldn't go more than a month without an event popping up if I was actively trying to seduce someone. Now it's years at a time without anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Did they nerf Seduction?
Previously, I couldn't go more than a month without an event popping up if I was actively trying to seduce someone. Now it's years at a time without anything.

I think it got nerfed right after Christmas.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
First time playing Ironman, and the save function is busted. It keeps saying "cannot save for unknown reasons."

I have 30GB of disk space left and I'm using the default savename the game gave me. Google's got nothing.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
^ Yeah, its weird. I wound up having to reinstall to get it to work.

Anyway, I'm thinking Intrigue might be overpowered; just shot from middling duke of Brandenberg and Brunswick to Holy Roman Emperor and King of Germany because I somehow lucked out and captured the Emperor in an intrigue event. Then I just went over to the faction tab, hit install as Emperor faction ,and won the war in a day because he was in my dungeon.

I spent 200 years scheming and plotting, clawing rights away from the Emperor , and making quick landgrabs during civil wars, now all of a sudden I run everything. :psyduck:

It's my first ironman game too.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Torrannor posted:

Do the holy orders still spawn even if I mend the schism, or do I have to wait until the 12th century?

I think that if Catholicism has been reduced to a heresy, the Holy Orders won't spawn. It's been a while since I looked at the scripts though.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Dang man, anyone have any advice for surviving as Catholic Moravia? I finally got Great, then had to turn catholic because I let priests run all over my lands, but now my levies are tiny and my troops seem to suck super hard. :(

At least i have castles so I'm really difficult to seige, but I can't win any wars like this. Are pagans just unbeatable before a certain time?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

OH GOD ORTHODOX CLOWN CAR :gonk:

I was playing the Sultanate of Rum, and Byzantium declares Holy War on me for Nicaea. I call in the Seljuks, but they refuse until I say "pretty please", at which point they start sending their troops to, apparently, wherever a blind man is pointing to on a map. I'm slightly outnumbered, but with the help of some mercenaries and sieging Constantinople, I'm finally able to beat them and even get 100% warscore. Towards the end of the war, a rebellion breaks out inland, so I send my severely reduced army to deal with it.

At which point the Basileus dies and the new one immediately declares holy war again.

Then they call in Hungary. I send my army west to take out their (currently) small army before the Hungarians can arrive, and as I'm beating them, literally within seconds of victory, the Hungarians show up and it turns into a rout for me. They follow and smash my army to nothingness.

Now I have 12,000 Orthodox stomping around, -50% warscore, Seljuk isn't returning my calls, the original rebellion is still going on, and I have no levies. And, oh yeah, I have a decadent relative hiding out in the Seljuk Empire (so I can't arrest him) who everybody loves (so I can't kill him), so my decadence is approaching 50% with no signs of stopping.

At least I got this sweet Necronomicon to help! :cthulhu:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 5, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Speaking of savegames, do y'all never share funny/cool ones? I mean, this world is so hosed that I'm super spoiled for choice; Do I want to continue with my own game, try out one of the little things I created, maybe try something else that popped up without my intervention?

Also I think it's incredibly amusing how loving Lombardy, once again, hasn't changed at loving all. Like, jesus christ is that thing hard-coded to be the most boring country ever if you're not playing? Is it always just going: "Hey, I really want Sicily but I can't take it on. Guess I should just wait here until I hit MilOrg4 and can get to the pagans instead of say, hitting Africa."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkj2zj1t9qdvyv1/800_11_17.ck2?dl=0

Actually, for next CK2 DLC I want the nation customizer and randomizer from EUIV. Get this done Please!!!!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Speaking of savegames, do y'all never share funny/cool ones? I mean, this world is so hosed that I'm super spoiled for choice; Do I want to continue with my own game, try out one of the little things I created, maybe try something else that popped up without my intervention?

Also I think it's incredibly amusing how loving Lombardy, once again, hasn't changed at loving all. Like, jesus christ is that thing hard-coded to be the most boring country ever if you're not playing? Is it always just going: "Hey, I really want Sicily but I can't take it on. Guess I should just wait here until I hit MilOrg4 and can get to the pagans instead of say, hitting Africa."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkj2zj1t9qdvyv1/800_11_17.ck2?dl=0

Actually, for next CK2 DLC I want the nation customizer and randomizer from EUIV. Get this done Please!!!!

nation customizer doesn't make a lot of sense for CK2 since so much of your gameplay experience is invested in your current character, which already has a customizer.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
When I started my current game I was under gavelkind succession but soon changed it to primogeniture, but my successions keeps behaving like gavelkind's still in effect. The law menu says I have primogeniture. Unfortunately the options to change succession laws have been greyed out for one reason or another (wars or hateful vassals), so I haven't had a chance to see if I can fix the issue somehow. I can't tell if it's a glitch or if there's some rule I don't know about. I'm getting tired of losing my lesser kingdoms.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

snoremac posted:

I'm getting tired of losing my lesser kingdoms.

Those kingdoms are almost all certainly under gavelkind while your main title is under primogeniture. There's different shields for each title in the law screen.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I'm Byzantine Emperor and I want to educate my heir as a Hindu or Buddhist to pick up some achievements, but I can't get anyone to come to court to do it. I've only got about two counties of India with Hindus in them that I can interact with, and they are totally uninterested in marrying me or teaching my kids. The achievement wiki seems to take for granted how easy this is.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Uuuugh. Playing as the High Chiefdom of Ilmen from the Charlemagne start. Mostly it's pretty easy, but I have a bunch of problems, and the Chiefdom of Murom is all of them. A few questions

1) how does such a tiny-rear end chiefdom get 3k troops?
2) how the hell do their 3k troops, without any defensive terrain bonuses, absolutely destroy 4.5k troops including a tribal army?
3) why can't I declare a subjugation war against them? I have the 'Become King of Rus' ambition and they hold a bunch of territories in Rus.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Mercenaries, maybe? Although it beats me how they'd get enough money to hire those.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'm guessing there Baltic and your Slavic

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gimmick Account posted:

Yo, Paradox, your Ruler Designer DLC has issues! I just found out that you cannot actually remove beards and have that choice stick. Whenever I reload the game after that, it puts a beard back onto my ruler's chin. Changing from one type of beard to another works, though.

Fix it, please~

Working as Designed, will not fix

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Groogy posted:

Working as Designed, will not fix

I notice women are beardless, and have no option for beards.

You know what must be done.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Rumda posted:

I'm guessing there Baltic and your Slavic
Yes. What does that change?

edit: problem solved. I just kept assassinating their chiefs until there was a boy-chief. That cut their army size in half, then I stomped all over them. Moscow acquired. Now to figure out how to convert to Eastern Orthodoxy.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 5, 2015

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

OH GOD ORTHODOX CLOWN CAR :gonk:

I was playing the Sultanate of Rum, and Byzantium declares Holy War on me for Nicaea. I call in the Seljuks, but they refuse until I say "pretty please", at which point they start sending their troops to, apparently, wherever a blind man is pointing to on a map. I'm slightly outnumbered, but with the help of some mercenaries and sieging Constantinople, I'm finally able to beat them and even get 100% warscore. Towards the end of the war, a rebellion breaks out inland, so I send my severely reduced army to deal with it.

At which point the Basileus dies and the new one immediately declares holy war again.

Then they call in Hungary. I send my army west to take out their (currently) small army before the Hungarians can arrive, and as I'm beating them, literally within seconds of victory, the Hungarians show up and it turns into a rout for me. They follow and smash my army to nothingness.

Now I have 12,000 Orthodox stomping around, -50% warscore, Seljuk isn't returning my calls, the original rebellion is still going on, and I have no levies. And, oh yeah, I have a decadent relative hiding out in the Seljuk Empire (so I can't arrest him) who everybody loves (so I can't kill him), so my decadence is approaching 50% with no signs of stopping.

At least I got this sweet Necronomicon to help! :cthulhu:

As Rum, i fended off the first holy war with the help of your house-mercenaries (youre gonna be pretty dependant on them tbh) and some 4 weeks after i get a crusade from the pope.
Fortunatly all my friends joined in, and it was a gigantic brawl all over Rum until we hit 51% score and i white-peaced him because i saw some 30k more soldiers roll in from all over europe.
In hindsight, taking constantinople by fabricated claim maybe wasnt the best idea, but last time i took the whole of greece via right of conquest, the ensuing demesne-vassal-fallout was unbearable.
Aint got no time for crusades, busy killing off my decadent brothers one by one.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Opinion bonuses to vassals, potential battle advantage if they are holy warriors, CB availability.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I notice women are beardless, and have no option for beards.

You know what must be done.

poo poo how did that get past QA? Hotfix incoming!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody looking for a bitch of a game, I've been having a lot of "fun" taking the 769 Magyar kingdom and turning it into a republic. Oleshye up in northern Crimea is one of the best capitols you could have as a republic, especially since the black sea is free for the taking. Getting off the ground is a motherfucker though. Scandinavian pagans are way less dicks when you're transitioning. It doesn't help that my character got assassinated within months of forming the republic, and AI prince mayors are doing their best to run this poo poo into the ground.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

nation customizer doesn't make a lot of sense for CK2 since so much of your gameplay experience is invested in your current character, which already has a customizer.
Shifting around de-jure duchies, kingdoms or empires, throwing religions and holy sites around, making empires in different places or even changing hordes and where tribal lands are would be baller as heck. Also being able to customize characters on the fly without the tedium of having to add every single trait.

I already sometimes do that by using the "fractured world" thing and sometimes "life is tribal" but I end up having spent so much time setting up all kindsa cool poo poo that I then just wanna see what happens and end up home in Iceland just watching poo poo unfold.

Holy sites are the most tedious thing though, that and how limited defensive pagans and buddhists are. There really should be more ways of loving around with MA, especially because the "raiding temples" thing only really works for Norse pagans.

Really, all I want is more variety, preferably with several possible blobs for lategame and some more room for random poo poo.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Shifting around de-jure duchies, kingdoms or empires, throwing religions and holy sites around, making empires in different places or even changing hordes and where tribal lands are would be baller as heck. Also being able to customize characters on the fly without the tedium of having to add every single trait.

I already sometimes do that by using the "fractured world" thing and sometimes "life is tribal" but I end up having spent so much time setting up all kindsa cool poo poo that I then just wanna see what happens and end up home in Iceland just watching poo poo unfold.

Holy sites are the most tedious thing though, that and how limited defensive pagans and buddhists are. There really should be more ways of loving around with MA, especially because the "raiding temples" thing only really works for Norse pagans.

Really, all I want is more variety, preferably with several possible blobs for lategame and some more room for random poo poo.

I was thinking on my current game: it would be really cool and add a lot of variety if there was some decisions you could make when you reform the pagan religion.

An event when you reform where you can choose among a bunch of options, each one giving you advantages and disadvantages, like allowing/disallowing/forcing succession rules, changing your retinue type to this or that, allowing specific CBs etc.

Like, for example, you reform the Norse religion and there's an option to choose the "Valkyrie path", which would force absolute cognatic succession and allow female counselors etc.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, succession laws.

I'm partial to getting Feudal Elective and giving duchies in the kingdom to dynasty members, as to minimize risk of losing the title to outsiders.

But this isn't always possible, and things get hosed up fast as your kingdom/empire gets bigger or if you have a double succession in a short time.

So, should I be shooting for High CA for Primogeniture? What's the general consensus on "best" succession law (tanistry is great but I'm tired of playing Ireland)?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TorakFade posted:

So, succession laws.

I'm partial to getting Feudal Elective and giving duchies in the kingdom to dynasty members, as to minimize risk of losing the title to outsiders.

But this isn't always possible, and things get hosed up fast as your kingdom/empire gets bigger or if you have a double succession in a short time.

So, should I be shooting for High CA for Primogeniture? What's the general consensus on "best" succession law (tanistry is great but I'm tired of playing Ireland)?

Ultimo is easier to get (it does not requires high CA), so it is always a fast choice for getting rid of elective. Then later I will usually change to primo cause ultimo, while it does have some advantages, can be very dangerous (high risk of dying with a child heir).

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ultimo is easier to get (it does not requires high CA), so it is always a fast choice for getting rid of elective. Then later I will usually change to primo cause ultimo, while it does have some advantages, can be very dangerous (high risk of dying with a child heir).

Thinking about it ultimo would work great with a non married bastard dynasty. recognise son #1 at 16 then each new son that hits 16 you can assess against the current heir and decide who to go for and legitimise or leave merely acknowledged.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TorakFade posted:

So, succession laws.

Ultimo is great 90% of the time and will completely utterly gently caress you 10% of the time. It does keep things interesting that way, without all the headache Gavelkind and Elective bring. But if you die and your new ruler is 2 years old, your crown authority's going all the way back to autonomous vassals and there's gently caress-all you can do about it. If it's a large empire your vassals are going to set off a category five firestorm of civil war in every province of your realm fighting each other, the instant they regain the ability to. Meanwhile your own levies will go to poo poo as crown authority drops.

There's a reason AI feudal rulers go for Primo as soon as they can: it's the best. The downside is you usually only get to reign for 10-20 years per character and so never get to benefit much from long reign bonuses, and you have to micromanage your heir (and HIS heir if you live a while), never give him land or let him leave your realm or he'll completely gently caress himself up, and so on.

I think Elective is still usable later in the game when even if you don't get your chosen heir elected, it's still almost certain it'll be a dynasty member. But usually if you don't completely suck your vassals will go along with your choice. Here's the thing, though: If you're an Elective empire DESTROY ALL THE KINGDOM TITLES or else before long you WILL end up with unwanted vassal kings when Portugal decides to elect someone different from Hispania's choice or etc.

Masonity posted:

Thinking about it ultimo would work great with a non married bastard dynasty. recognise son #1 at 16 then each new son that hits 16 you can assess against the current heir and decide who to go for and legitimise or leave merely acknowledged.

This does work, but it's probably better to go Gavelkind and legitimize the first bastard that comes along that looks decent and only him (you can legitimize another if he dies later). The demesne size bonus is very nice.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ultimo is great 90% of the time and will completely utterly gently caress you 10% of the time. It does keep things interesting that way, without all the headache Gavelkind and Elective bring. But if you die and your new ruler is 2 years old, your crown authority's going all the way back to autonomous vassals and there's gently caress-all you can do about it. If it's a large empire your vassals are going to set off a category five firestorm of civil war in every province of your realm fighting each other, the instant they regain the ability to. Meanwhile your own levies will go to poo poo as crown authority drops.

There's a reason AI feudal rulers go for Primo as soon as they can: it's the best. The downside is you usually only get to reign for 10-20 years per character and so never get to benefit much from long reign bonuses, and you have to micromanage your heir (and HIS heir if you live a while), never give him land or let him leave your realm or he'll completely gently caress himself up, and so on.

I think Elective is still usable later in the game when even if you don't get your chosen heir elected, it's still almost certain it'll be a dynasty member. But usually if you don't completely suck your vassals will go along with your choice. Here's the thing, though: If you're an Elective empire DESTROY ALL THE KINGDOM TITLES or else before long you WILL end up with unwanted vassal kings when Portugal decides to elect someone different from Hispania's choice or etc.

This does work, but it's probably better to go Gavelkind and legitimize the first bastard that comes along that looks decent and only him (you can legitimize another if he dies later). The demesne size bonus is very nice.

Much higher risk of game over though if you die before a decent one comes along. With ultimo you will probably have older brothers who were better than nothing to take the throne. They'll probably even inherit in order of best to worst as each younger one is only legitimised if he is better than his predecessor.

I'm still a tribe at the moment though so I'm stuck with elective gavelkind until I'm ready to modernise. I'm Denmark but have most of England (plus Wales, Ireland and a bit of Brittany, plus Rome and another close by holding ) as well as my Scandinavian lands so I might switch sooner rather than later, give the tribal bits to one son and set the other up to inherit. I'm half tempted to take the game the Republic route though. A little scared to though as I've never played as one and don't want to lose all my hard work while I know as a feudal realm I can soon become a powerful empire. Or I can stay as I am and use my tribal armies to paint the map once great holy wars unlock. Holding Rome means it should be sooner rather than later.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Quick question, here: Does anyone know of a way to mod in gender-equality stuff /for republics?/ I can find a lot of stuff on it, but only for feudal lords...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Neopie posted:

Quick question, here: Does anyone know of a way to mod in gender-equality stuff /for republics?/ I can find a lot of stuff on it, but only for feudal lords...

Nope, hardcoded.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speaking of republics: Once I start hitting my vassal limit, how should I be handling expanding my realm? Start creating kingdoms that I hand out directly?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Defensive pagans get +80% defense when defending a pagan county. Also, Tribal armies are well over 50% Light Infantry, which is basically made of tissue paper. 4.5k against 3k defenders would be a slaughter.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Is it unusual for the Ilkhanate to have taken most of the Byzantine empire including Constantinople?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

A human heart posted:

Is it unusual for the Ilkhanate to have taken most of the Byzantine empire including Constantinople?

Not at all. I mean in most of the games I've seen the Ilkhanate they don't usually target the Byzantines, but if they do target the Byzantines they usually steamroll them like they steamroll everyone else.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Defensive pagans get +80% defense when defending a pagan county. Also, Tribal armies are well over 50% Light Infantry, which is basically made of tissue paper. 4.5k against 3k defenders would be a slaughter.
Aaaaaaaah, that'll be it. They were Suomenusko, I was Slavic. When I eventually beat them, not only were their army numbers down, but they came out to fight me in my lands.

Anybody got good ways for the Kingdom of Rus to go Christian? It's too far away to get sent missionaries, and nobody wants to come to my court.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Aaaaaaaah, that'll be it. They were Suomenusko, I was Slavic. When I eventually beat them, not only were their army numbers down, but they came out to fight me in my lands.

Anybody got good ways for the Kingdom of Rus to go Christian? It's too far away to get sent missionaries, and nobody wants to come to my court.

Ask a catholic leader if he or someone in his court will educate your heir.

Volkerball posted:

Anybody looking for a bitch of a game, I've been having a lot of "fun" taking the 769 Magyar kingdom and turning it into a republic. Oleshye up in northern Crimea is one of the best capitols you could have as a republic, especially since the black sea is free for the taking. Getting off the ground is a motherfucker though. Scandinavian pagans are way less dicks when you're transitioning. It doesn't help that my character got assassinated within months of forming the republic, and AI prince mayors are doing their best to run this poo poo into the ground.

this is loving impossible btw.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

My mighty West African Merchant Republic of the Canary Islands is still thriving, but I can't expand while the bloody Umayyads stay intact. They finally started building up Decadence after god knows how long at a permanent 0%, and have suffered a successful Crusade for Aragon and two Decadence revolts. I had thought that patience had finally paid off!

Unfortunately, the bastards just went on a Holy War and took back Aragon, and the complete idiots in charge of the Decadence Revolts, despite outnumbering the Umayyad Badshah's total levies (and some mercenaries he'd hired), kept refusing to consolidate and so got wiped out in little stacks of 7K men. Twice. It was so disheartening to watch it happen and there was nothing I could do except keep raiding Venice to annoy them.

Still, Decadence continues to accumulate and maybe the next time it'll shatter the Umayyads? Right?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Never attempt wars against pagans until you upgrade military technology. It will end in blood and tears every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

evilmiera posted:

Speaking of republics: Once I start hitting my vassal limit, how should I be handling expanding my realm? Start creating kingdoms that I hand out directly?

Yes. Turn your vassals into vassals of other vassals. Kings can take counts and below, sometimes dukes. Give your dukes and kings your lower vassals.

• Locked thread