Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it will cost $2999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a feeling that the AppleWatch Edition is going to be way more than $3000

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

an ounce [28g or about 1.6 cubic centimeters] of gold in bar form is $1200

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

an ounce [28g or about 1.6 cubic centimeters] of gold in bar form is $1200

what does that have to do with the iwatch?

do you really think they're going to make any of them out of solid gold instead of just electroplating?

what conceivable reason would the have for doing that?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wank factor

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

do you really think they're going to make any of them out of solid gold instead of just electroplating?
http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-edition/
"Each has a watch case crafted from 18-karat gold that our metallurgists have developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold. "

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that said I bet there's going to be a fair aftermarket for plating them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

18-karat gold that our metallurgists have developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold

lol @ apple advertizing pure strain gold, specially crafted by our artisan metallurgists

also "crafted from" does not mean it's a solid gold chassis, it's a bullshit marketing term. i mean it could mean that, but it's absurd

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't see why that's so farfetched, if they were just plating it I doubt they'd even bother with a separate line for the edition since it would add approximately zero dollars to the price

e: also that steel link band is going to cost several hundred dollars on its own

watches be expensive, yo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is apple, who charge about 17x extra the actual difference in price of storage between iphone models

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the apple watch edition is 18k gold and will be 10k according to gruber

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

marco arment thinks apple is doing another $1000 ipad thing and it will be 5k

http://www.marco.org/2015/03/04/boring-apple-watch-edition-pricing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

I don't see why that's so farfetched, if they were just plating it I doubt they'd even bother with a separate line for the edition since it would add approximately zero dollars to the price

e: also that steel link band is going to cost several hundred dollars on its own

watches be expensive, yo

it doesn't have to add anything to the cost to be sold for 500% more and the number one way to do that is to make it a separate product line.

hell, given the bewildering choices apple has made the last few years it probably is made of solid gold. it'll be a luxury targeted product made for a market that wouldn't even glance at it.

hopefully they can sell it to aspirationals with no sense and too much credit and the sort of nouveau-riche assholes that still buy virtu and porche design

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

cremnob posted:

He's right.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cremnob posted:

this actually doesn't seem unreasonable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

watches be expensive, yo

i'm not arguing the cost, i'm saying i don't see why it would matter if it were solid gold rather than electroplated given that it's a hideous design and tacky looking as all hell. is "solid gold" versus "gold" really a differentiating factor for the armani-exchange wearing, 3 series bmw owning wannabies that are going to rush out to buy this thing?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

i'm not arguing the cost, i'm saying i don't see why it would matter if it were solid gold rather than electroplated given that it's a hideous design and tacky looking as all hell. is "solid gold" versus "gold" really a differentiating factor for the armani-exchange wearing, 3 series bmw owning wannabies that are going to rush out to buy this thing?

no because if those are the people you want you plate it and charge $100 more, not make out out of solid gold and charge thousands more, the thing I'm curious about is if there's an upgrade path since the swiss brands are really good at selling "and you can give it to your grandson" type longevity feelings around mechanical watches [ignoring the fact that in 50 years getting mechanical watches serviced will be ruinously expensive]

there's a reason there isn't a gold-plated normal version

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

the thing I'm curious about is if there's an upgrade path

this is an apple product, you already know the answer to that

the upgrade path is "buy a new one and sell your old one to poors on craigslist or give it to your kids as a toy"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is an apple product, you already know the answer to that

the upgrade path is "buy a new one and sell your old one to poors on craigslist or give it to your kids as a toy"

that works for $500 telephones but the market for watches over a couple grand is pretty firmly in "heirloom" territory

given that this is going to be the worst apple watch they ever make why would anyone besides russian gangsters and idle rich emiratis buy the first one?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

given that this is going to be the worst apple watch they ever make why would anyone besides russian gangsters and idle rich emiratis buy the first one?

as i have repeatedly pointed out nothing about the iwatch and especially the edition watch makes any goddamn sense, so who knows?

nothing about the design, formfactor, or potential use case in any way makes sense as a luxury product, but according to cremnob's tasseomancy that's what they're doing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the cremnobs of the world believe apple can invent a luxury market because rich people bought iphones and ipads, so clearly that means they can sell a first gen product that no one else is buying for 20x the price

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

really expensive watches are also one of the primary bribery delivery mechanisms, since the chinese government has started cracking down on gift-giving swiss sales there are off like 20%

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and for bypassing currency controls

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if you really, genuinely think that they are charging 10k for a gold watch then you are dumb

the number of people with crippling credit card debt who will buy the poo poo out of it to feel better about themselves is far too great to charge an amount that they can't afford in the more literal sense. so you can have 10k people buy it at $10k a pop, or 50k people buy it at $3k

you think it's targeted at rich people, but surprise, cause in reality it's targeted at poors. h t h

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

they've been hyping up the fact that everything is on a single chip and how it took tons of R&D to make that happen so i am betting heavily on it being upgradable. watch the Edition sell out and be backlogged for months because of constraints on gold or something absurd like that.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

triple sulk posted:

if you really, genuinely think that they are charging 10k for a gold watch then you are dumb

the number of people with crippling credit card debt who will buy the poo poo out of it to feel better about themselves is far too great to charge an amount that they can't afford in the more literal sense. so you can have 10k people buy it at $10k a pop, or 50k people buy it at $3k

you think it's targeted at rich people, but surprise, cause in reality it's targeted at poors. h t h

you are projecting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

they've been hyping up the fact that everything is on a single chip and how it took tons of R&D to make that happen so i am betting heavily on it being upgradable. watch the Edition sell out and be backlogged for months because of constraints on gold or something absurd like that.

yes, if you assume apple is going to completely turn their proven successful business models on end specifically for this one niche market product line, then sure it'll be upgradable

it makes sense in as much as it's the only way to sell a $10k watch that would otherwise be obsolete trash in a year

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

yes, if you assume apple is going to completely turn their proven successful business models on end specifically for this one niche market product line, then sure it'll be upgradable

it makes sense in as much as it's the only way to sell a $10k watch that would otherwise be obsolete trash in a year

they turned their business on its end to release a giant iphone. you think apple is still following some script that they haven't followed since before steve jobs died. The watch will be upgradable because they want people to see it as a luxury item and not a disposable piece of electronics.

Also this won't be niche it's going to sell like crazy even if you think it is stupid.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm definitely not saying it will be user-upgradeable just that there could at least be some kind of trade-in deal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

I'm definitely not saying it will be user-upgradeable just that there could at least be some kind of trade-in deal

that sort of kills the heirloom appeal though doesn't it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Also this won't be niche it's going to sell like crazy even if you think it is stupid.

the iphone 6+ is clear evidence this is true

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

can't wait to see battery life

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the iphone 6+ is clear evidence this is true

yes, my fundamental mistake is i keep assuming apple is still a company that wants to make good products

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yes, my fundamental mistake is i keep assuming apple is still a company that wants to make good products

The 6 and 6+ are both good products

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

nope they are selling like crazy because they are universally hated

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no they're market chasing trash designed to hoover up the idiots that finally got sick of sarnsung's poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nope they are selling like crazy because they are universally hated

they don't have to be good products to sell well, see samsung phones circa 2010-2013

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol

list of upgradeable apple products:
-:ins:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol

list of upgradeable apple products:
-:ins:

my old IIfx??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

they don't have to be good products to sell well, see samsung phones circa 2010-2013

yeah man it is totally the same, selling a premium priced phone and gaining massive market share is literally teh same as giving your phones massive subsidies through your bloated marketing budget

• Locked thread