Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

A Spider Covets posted:

this is what i'm wondering. is there any standard for games that get on there? what other kinds of bizarre titles have made their way into the previously-unsullied e-shop

the e-shop has lots of indie games but they are typically actual games, and not... whatever meme run qualifies as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't a game made with RPG maker base assets make it into the wii shop at one point?

Ambivalent posted:

for real though, FFTactics is one of my favorite games of all time....

Version is a hard question because the PS1 translation is really really rough in some spots and some concepts are just flat out not conveyed well at all, but the Lion War (PSP and iOS) translation got really worked to crank up the 'knaves' and 'thous'.

I did like how it turns political squabble/succession crisis -> being used by the church to advance its power -> being used to advance political power -> actually being used to advance magical power, it is like a huge cynical double double feint that teaches you the world is poo poo and nobody believes what they say, everyone is exploited - even the exploiters - and our world is a sin-cursed hell

should i spoiler that

I was really confused to learn FF12 and something called Vanguard Story(I think) are supposed to take place in the same universe as FF tactics, because those games look nothing like it in any way shape or form and strike me as having pretty dramatically different tones.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't a game made with RPG maker base assets make it into the wii shop at one point?

I was really confused to learn FF12 and something called Vanguard Story(I think) are supposed to take place in the same universe as FF tactics, because those games look nothing like it in any way shape or form and strike me as having pretty dramatically different tones.
Vagrant Story, and yeah they all take place in the same world of Ivalice, just many millennia apart.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the difference in tone actually makes sense in those games too imo, FF12 is the mythical Atlantean past of FFT alluded to by things like the airship graveyard and that one forest that talks about how moogles are extinct, while Vagrant Story is the future after FFT where the world is undergoing its equivalent of the Renaissance and religion and magic are on the wane; I think Vagrant Story is only a few hundred years in the future though, there are items in the game that belonged to Agrias and are made of Orlandu's bones that are described as sacred relics

They're also all three pretty good games, and they do have some content similarities (they all have plots that involve a lot of power plays and political machination for ex)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but Maxis just got shut down.

Giantbomb posted:

SimCity developer Maxis is undergoing a major shift within EA, one that will see the closure of its primary Emeryville location. According to a statement from EA, an undisclosed number of employees have been either reshuffled or laid off as a result of the restructuring. Maxis will continue on as a brand within EA, but development responsibilities of existing franchises have been distributed among multiple other internal studios.

The full statement from EA on the closure is as follows:

Today we are consolidating Maxis IP development to our studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne locations as we close our Emeryville location. Maxis continues to support and develop new experiences for current Sims and SimCity players, while expanding our franchises to new platforms and developing new cross-platform IP.

These changes do not impact our plans for The Sims. Players will continue to see rich new experiences in The Sims 4, with our first expansion pack coming soon along with a full slate of additional updates and content in the pipeline.

All employees impacted by the changes today will be given opportunities to explore other positions within the Maxis studios and throughout EA. For those that are leaving the company, we are working to ensure the best possible transition with separation packages and career assistance.

Founded in 1987, Maxis was responsible for a wide variety of Sim games over the years, from the original SimCity on through the early installments of The Sims. Though development responsibilities for The Sims had split off to a separate studio--called, appropriately enough, The Sims Studio--as of 2006, Maxis continued to work on various major projects for EA, including Spore, and 2013's troubled SimCity reboot.

As someone who counts the original SimCity and some of its sequels among his favorite games of all time, this is a horrible thing to have to write about. Say what you will about the current state of SimCity and post-Will Wright Maxis, it's a terrible thing to see a studio with so much great history get broken down into component materials like this. Here's hoping everyone affected by the layoffs finds work quickly.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

drat

wonder if it has anything to do with how sims 4 turned out? i know there was negative reception at launch but i have no idea what the numbers were like.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

drat

wonder if it has anything to do with how sims 4 turned out? i know there was negative reception at launch but i have no idea what the numbers were like.
Sims is a different company. It's probably related to Sim City's poor reputation.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Maxis must have had a warchest bigger than the Catholic Church's for them to survive seven years after Spore

Also lmao at the guy who owns the rights to trollface, I guess copyright trolling with memes now is a thing that happens

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's kind of surprising that EA is still around considering everything that they touch turns to poo poo. Must be all that sweet Madden money.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lovely games can still be commercial successes. Spore made a lot of money over time. The Sims were all massive sellers. Even Sim City 5 turned a profit, and Sim City 4 sold copies for years.

It takes a really expensive failure like an MMO to sink a company.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FactsAreUseless posted:

It takes a really expensive failure like an MMO to sink a company.

How did KOTOR not sink EA?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

KOTOR wasn't an MMO, Taintypants.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

I have absolutely no idea how TOR didn't do more damage, since it was a notorious flop financially. Maybe it eventually broke even.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Or maybe Lucas Arts was sharing part of the burden.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
I don't know why, today I remembered I had a bugs bunny game on the gameboy. There was no save so you had to leave it on and paused. My parents thought I had carelessly left it on overnight and shut it off losing all of my progress.

Kids today have it easy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Bugs Bunny Lost in Time for PS1 was a legit good game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently, it made money. According to that last article:

Bitgamer posted:

A surprise entry in that top five is EA’s Star Wars: The Old Republic, which made $165m worldwide in revenue over 2013. That figure is comprised of subscriptions, expansion packs and microtransactions. Overall, the Star Wars MMO has a 6% market share.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Apparently it's really easy for an mmo to remain profitable, or at least just profitable enough to keep the servers afloat. As long as you have a few thousand subs and/or a cash shop then you don't need too much to keep the servers in maintenance mode. I'm sure there's enough die-hard SW fans out there to keep the userbase from completely flatlining.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Apparently, it made money. According to that last article:

they turned it around when they went f2p, not the first time but when they removed all the horrible f2p restrictions

f2p is great with getting people who are bad with money to subsidize games for poorer and cheaper people

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EA is just one of those companies that everybody hates but will continue to exist until the end of time. Sim City has brand recognition. that game made money despite a launch that would have had to try pretty hard to be more embarrassing. what's going to replace it, exactly?

do not buy EA games, you will regret it!!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Maxis died when Will Wright decided he was more interested in building robots and fundraising for Republican politicians than making videogames. EA is just finally getting rid of the corpse.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I miss Will Wright :(

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Apparently it's really easy for an mmo to remain profitable, or at least just profitable enough to keep the servers afloat. As long as you have a few thousand subs and/or a cash shop then you don't need too much to keep the servers in maintenance mode. I'm sure there's enough die-hard SW fans out there to keep the userbase from completely flatlining.

I kinda like TOR, I always come back to it when I don't have an ongoing session. They actually put a shitton of feature the last few years. The relationship between EA and Disney seems pretty tight and rumor for a sequel in 3 years...

rdit: And I thought the game made it's money in the first year.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 5, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TOR is kind of weird for me cause it's the only MMO I've played (not counting pseudo-MMOs like Path of Exile) and a lot of the stuff that bugs me is stuff that seems to be just generally accepted practice in MMOs but I suspect if I'd played a lot of them I'd realize how derivative it is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

EA is just one of those companies that everybody hates but will continue to exist until the end of time. Sim City has brand recognition. that game made money despite a launch that would have had to try pretty hard to be more embarrassing. what's going to replace it, exactly?

do not buy EA games, you will regret it!!

i am boycotting ea for their lovely business practice of never releasing any games worth buying

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

i am boycotting ea for their lovely business practice of never releasing any games worth buying
Same.

Ubisoft at least has really good budget games.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
I love ea sports games (used so they are <10% original cost)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
EA has a pretty reliable cycle of booms and busts, now that they've had a big crash and restructured it's time for the upswing where they actually make some good games and win people over before getting too greedy and crashing all over again.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Maxis died when Will Wright decided he was more interested in building robots and fundraising for Republican politicians than making videogames. EA is just finally getting rid of the corpse.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

new av owns

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i liked the canticle for leibowitz one

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ah, similar to my wwe boycott

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A Spider Covets posted:

drat

The Maxis that got shut down was the original founding studio over in Emeryville, which most recently created the infamous SimCity reboot. That's what's probably to blame here.

The Sims 4 was developed by The Sims Studio over in Redwood Shores, and apparently they're unaffected and still beavering away on virtual dollhouse things.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm finally playing mother 3 through for the first time and i just got to Leder's big exposition dump. okay, I guess. :shrug:

I think overall, it's a good game, but not as good as Earthbound for a lot of reasons. Like, the kind of game that the series is riffing on sort of didn't exist anymore when they made it, they tried to be hugely emotional right out of the bag, a lot of it is inappropriate creepy rather than weird and cool creepy. I dunno. It's still a really good game in my opinion and i am glad I played it. I like getting the 16 hit combos. I shouldn't have waited so long so i would have appropriate expectations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I'm finally playing mother 3 through for the first time and i just got to Leder's big exposition dump. okay, I guess. :shrug:

I think overall, it's a good game, but not as good as Earthbound for a lot of reasons. Like, the kind of game that the series is riffing on sort of didn't exist anymore when they made it, they tried to be hugely emotional right out of the bag, a lot of it is inappropriate creepy rather than weird and cool creepy. I dunno. It's still a really good game in my opinion and i am glad I played it. I like getting the 16 hit combos. I shouldn't have waited so long so i would have appropriate expectations.

first you poo poo on FF9, now you're making GBS threads on Mother 3. you're pushing your luck with me, bicyclops!!!!!

at least you like it, but really, it's so much better than EB and much more coherent

also does EB have kids doing shrooms?? no!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

f2p is great with getting people who are bad with money to subsidize games for poorer and cheaper people

basically, apparently DDO and that lovely lord of the rings mmo turned into money printing machines when they went f2p and immediately quadrupled their monthly returns

convincing your true believers to give you a thousand dollars a month is the new monthly fee

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zombies' Downfall posted:

basically, apparently DDO and that lovely lord of the rings mmo turned into money printing machines when they went f2p and immediately quadrupled their monthly returns

convincing your true believers to give you a thousand dollars a month is the new monthly fee

LOTRO had a better implementation of the "pick poo poo up off the ground" quest archetype than WoW

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a shame LOTRO is so similar to WoW as to make people not bother since they're already playing WoW, since it does a lot of the basic WoW stuff better than Blizzard, and as a bonus, the writing is merely kind of boring instead of brain-damagingly stupid.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
LotRO had the best cosmetic armor system in any MMO before it, and no MMO after it has copied it since, which is one more big negative in the corner of MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

It has a coherent, well written story, which Earthbound really didn't, in lieu of having a bunch of poo poo lying around riffing on Dragon Quest games. Earthbound told the same story more or less, but was less structured about it. I don't think either one is superior to be honest. And I'm not sure how you can use the lack of reference to its genre contemporaries as a negative when those don't exist for Earthbound either. Nobody playing either game in 2015 is going to be operating in the same context that Earthbound was when it was released. You're using 1995 standards of artistic relevance for Earthbound and 2015 ones for Mother 3

also as for the inappropriate vs cool creepy, you're aware Earthbound is the game where the final boss fight is you going back in time to abort the fetus of an evil alien god-monster, right? i'm not sure what definition of inappropriate, weird, creepy or bad that wouldn't fall under

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 5, 2015

• Locked thread