Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Seething whitelatino-hot rage FURIA is my guess.

Fixed.

But seriously he is like the creepy fangirl and he is totes a fan the the republican party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Seething white-hot rage is my guess.

It happens to people he likes, too. Just anybody he draws a lot. As he keeps drawing, he makes things more hideous. People start out fine and then he just slowly morphs them into hellspawn.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
He has a problem with lower jaws.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

So Wormbama is an erect penis and Hilary is a deflated cock and balls.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Eschers Basement posted:

Two things that will always amaze me:

(...)

#2:

That someone who has devoted their lives to cartooning can actually be a humorless, spiteful gently caress.
You must be new to this thread.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

For some reason I read this comic as 'vote against Obama by assassinating him'. I'm assuming it's not that.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ague Proof posted:

For some reason I read this comic as 'vote against Obama by assassinating him'. I'm assuming it's not that.

It's 'vote against Mexicans by shooting them'. Also assassinate Obama. Also lactation fetish.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

muir has been masturbating to the thought of assassinating Obama for a while now

I don't even read Day by Day but I know this much about it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ague Proof posted:

He's referring to the Fredrick Douglass quote, "A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ThatPazuzu posted:

I could piss a more recognisable Hilary Clinton into a snow bank.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ague Proof posted:

It's the John Wilkes voting Booth.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Eschers Basement posted:

Two things that will always amaze me:

#1:

Some cartoonists assume their audience is so uninformed that they have to actually spell things like that Neville Chamberlain was "1938 ... British Prime Minister"

What amazes me is that the cartoonist thinks he needs to spell it out, when poor old Neville's corpse gets dragged out every single time someone tries to use diplomacy instead of just sending in the bombers.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Who's kid is that?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Pilchenstein posted:

America's still covered in snow. Do it, coward.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

What does Muir think Obama's long-term plan is, here? What's the goal? What does he stand to win?

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Note the portrait of Bill on the left.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ThatPazuzu posted:

With a black eye.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Pilchenstein posted:

Is that a :toxx:?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's referring to the Fredrick Douglass quote, "A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box."
Somehow I don't think Fredrick Douglass is the sort of person Muir would quote so I will say it was just a coincidence.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

It's the little things, like Bill being covered in lipstick kisses in the photo

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Fojar38 posted:

Can't wait to see this caricature every day until 2024.

I think you mean

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CampingCarl posted:

Somehow I don't think Fredrick Douglass is the sort of person Muir would quote so I will say it was just a coincidence.

The quote is frequently falsely attributed to Larry McDonald, who may have been a Democrat but he was from Atlanta and ran on a campaign of being against "forced integration" so I have a feeling Muir would totally like that guy

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Sardine Wit posted:

I think you mean

That honestly looks infinitely better than what Ramirez did.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe I'm missing the loathsomeness in this particular cartoon, then. Seems to me, after glancing at the linked news story, that the police and social workers performed their job poorly, at least according to that one detective, and are being admonished for it. Mac's on the ball as far as that's concerned.

It's the question of exactly how he thinks they hosed up. A bunch of sleeping cops and social workers with a box of free condoms for the girls could read as a the authorities ignored the cases because they assumed they were just girls out partying or involved in relationships that their parents didn't approve of but were otherwise consensual. You could also read it as a broader condemnation of how authorities handle teen sex these days; teaching kids about sex (providing condemns) and not flipping the gently caress out if they have it is equivalent to being asleep on the job. So of course a bunch of girls got raped and abused because that is the natural consequence of not imbuing kids girls with a bunch of fear and shame about sex; they go out and become big sluts who get raped and abused because that is what happens to sluts. Considering Mac's history and politics, which version seems more likely? British Asay, indeed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Selachian posted:

What amazes me is that the cartoonist thinks he needs to spell it out, when poor old Neville's corpse gets dragged out every single time someone tries to use diplomacy instead of just sending in the bombers.

It's always fun asking those people which British prime minister declared war on Germany in 1939.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

muir has been masturbating to the thought of assassinating Obama for a while now

I don't even read Day by Day but I know this much about it

I'm perpetually grateful that everything I know about Muir suggests that he would never do any of this crazy poo poo in the real world and this cartoon is just an outlet for his various fantasies and seething resentments. That said, the omnipresence in his strips of crazy internet talking points, violent power fantasies, skewed sexual norms, unconcealed bigotry and misogyny, and a massive persecution complex are all suggestive of a deteriorated connection to reality probably caused by social isolation. Consider this, the characters in his strip are a family with the main character clearly being a stand-in for Muir himself, yet his "wife" in the strip is really his ex-wife. She's a perfect rightwing womanchild sexdoll who should be middle aged but is still depicted as a young woman (possibly because he hasn't seen her "inspiration" in years). She also has a "sister," a horrible liberal bitch, that might be based on a real person, but seems like a composite of everything Muir resents about women. I suspect that the sister character is also based largely on his ex-wife and has been assigned all the aspects of the real woman that Muir just couldn't cope with. The kids are purely imaginary (and frequently forgotten about), but represent the life he feels he should be having (but isn't). Everything about how they're depicted (or not), suggests that Muir hasn't been around children in a very long time. Zed's black friend is clearly just a sock-puppet Muir created for himself and certainly is not based on a real person he knows or knew. Black friend and black friend's white wife are basically the same characters in every respect as Zed and Waifu. His dad is just Sam Elliot.

We know the real Muir has no hot wife or adorable kids, no black best friend, or dad who's a cowboy. Does he have real parents he can call for advice? Does his ex-wife ever check up on him? Does he have a best friend he can get a beer with? Does he have any real world friends at all? How long has it been since he had a real relationship with a woman? Or a social life that extended beyond the internet? Does he have anyone at all, or is he utterly, hopelessly alone? His deteriorating art, word salad dialog, fractured narratives, and delusional worldview all seem to suggest a man in a state of acute mental illness. I used to be able to laugh at the ridiculousness of the strip or get offended by the loathsome opinions, but these days I have trouble begrudging a sick man what may be his only outlet.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd just like to say, speaking as a person who has struggled with severe mental illness for my entire life: gently caress Muir, he deserves neither your sympathy or your pity.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Duckbag posted:

I'm perpetually grateful that everything I know about Muir suggests that he would never do any of this crazy poo poo in the real world and this cartoon is just an outlet for his various fantasies and seething resentments. That said, the omnipresence in his strips of crazy internet talking points, violent power fantasies, skewed sexual norms, unconcealed bigotry and misogyny, and a massive persecution complex are all suggestive of a deteriorated connection to reality probably caused by social isolation. Consider this, the characters in his strip are a family with the main character clearly being a stand-in for Muir himself, yet his "wife" in the strip is really his ex-wife. She's a perfect rightwing womanchild sexdoll who should be middle aged but is still depicted as a young woman (possibly because he hasn't seen her "inspiration" in years). She also has a "sister," a horrible liberal bitch, that might be based on a real person, but seems like a composite of everything Muir resents about women. I suspect that the sister character is also based largely on his ex-wife and has been assigned all the aspects of the real woman that Muir just couldn't cope with. The kids are purely imaginary (and frequently forgotten about), but represent the life he feels he should be having (but isn't). Everything about how they're depicted (or not), suggests that Muir hasn't been around children in a very long time. Zed's black friend is clearly just a sock-puppet Muir created for himself and certainly is not based on a real person he knows or knew. Black friend and black friend's white wife are basically the same characters in every respect as Zed and Waifu. His dad is just Sam Elliot.

We know the real Muir has no hot wife or adorable kids, no black best friend, or dad who's a cowboy. Does he have real parents he can call for advice? Does his ex-wife ever check up on him? Does he have a best friend he can get a beer with? Does he have any real world friends at all? How long has it been since he had a real relationship with a woman? Or a social life that extended beyond the internet? Does he have anyone at all, or is he utterly, hopelessly alone? His deteriorating art, word salad dialog, fractured narratives, and delusional worldview all seem to suggest a man in a state of acute mental illness. I used to be able to laugh at the ridiculousness of the strip or get offended by the loathsome opinions, but these days I have trouble begrudging a sick man what may be his only outlet.

hey man, source your quotes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A therapist would have a field day with DbD, but hell if Muir would hire one himself and he actually probably doesn't have anyone in his life who would do it for him :smith:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Typical Pubbie posted:

Who's kid is that?

Naomi is nursing her new son, the one she just gave birth to but has not named yet. It was a short pregnancy, but the baby developed very quickly; I think he's some kind of vampire-human hybrid like Renesmee Cullen. No wonder Anatoly was freaking out about the labor - Bella almost died giving birth and had to be vamped just to survive!

E: This means that the DbDiverse has Twilight vampires, which has some ... interesting implications.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 5, 2015

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Muir was once married? Is this confirmed?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'd just like to say, speaking as a person who has struggled with severe mental illness for my entire life: gently caress Muir, he deserves neither your sympathy or your pity.

My mental illness is just chronic depression, but :smith::respek::smith:.

In any case, he may not deserve my compassion, but that doesn't stop me from giving it.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Did Muir actually make a topical reference?

Obama brings in millions of immigrants to cancel American voters, engulfing the average man in a hideous war that destroys the survivors just as much as it harms the ones who die. When the troops perish, fighting in a war run by corrupt policy-makers who will never pay the price for their own policies, fighting for a cause they no longer believe in, it's just the status quo. The survivors lose all semblance of caring about the overall political issues along with their ability to fit into "normal" society -- leaving them like Zed and Waifu, completely unable to assimilate or let go of what they've seen and done?

Or is he simply name-dropping the book without having read it? I could go either way.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Duckbag posted:

In any case, he may not deserve my compassion, but that doesn't stop me from giving it.

Yeah.. assuming mental illness may be a leap, but somehow now after all that long rant clicking things into place I do kind of feel sad for him. Even with his strangely loyal followers, I can't imagine he's very happy. The strip always seemed like fantasy to the nth degree, but it is actually slightly sad to think about now.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's always fun asking those people which British prime minister declared war on Germany in 1939.

It was Margaret Thatcher, right?

In all seriousness, Neville Chamberlain's policy platform would delight modern Republicans, what with his love of budget surpluses and rearmament, and going to war after rearming. Then again with the military doctrine of "you go to war with the army you've got, not with the army you'd like to have" I can see why they'd hate him so much for that one thing. There's an interesting three-part series about Neville Chamberlain here, goes into detail about how he was quite nearly exactly the man that everybody says they wish he'd been, iirc even more hawkish against Germany than Churchill was.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keep in mind that this is Ramirez drawing Hillary two years before she possibly wins the election. Remember that Obama looked vaguely human when Ramirez drew him in 2007/2008.

Look at his caricature of Hillary now, and imagine what it'll look like by 2023 :stare:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Duckbag posted:

Depression, Body Image issues, and Generalized anxiety represent! :smith::respek::smith::respek::D

But yeah, I do feel for Muir, regardless of his issues. Maybe it's mostly his fault, but poo poo, people get trapped in bad habits and lifestyles and then it's hard to get out. I don't know if that's the same in this situation, but then sympathy isn't usually based on merit.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Duckbag posted:

I suppose my feelings for Muir can be likened to crab mentality, but honestly, some crabs are total assholes and don't have any business leaving the bucket. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxOBInMi3l0

Chris Muir walks the rainy streets

'One day I'll find the half-japanese redhead of my dreams...'

• Locked thread