Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Finally a politician willing to embrace the sovereign citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My immediate reaction to any poll showing the Libs closing is wtf Australia what is wrong with you.

My second reaction is relief. No way that Abbott can win re-election, but if he sits higher in the polls then the Libs will find it harder to replace him, and Bishop or Turnbull would be much harder to beat at the federal election.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Introducing bitdiggercoins!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Joe Hockey is Capitalist Goku?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

My immediate reaction to any poll showing the Libs closing is wtf Australia what is wrong with you.

Diagnosis: Australian.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

katlington posted:

We're all going to die.

Consumers of australia lend me your upvotes.

I'm a sovereign consumer :suicide:

Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks › Strangecoin: hockeynomics

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Anidav posted:

Joe Hockey is Capitalist Goku?

Someone buy Anidav a Peta Krillin av, tia

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
George Brandis is Krillin
Malcolm Turnbull is Piccolo
Scott Morrison is Vegeta
Joe Hockey is Nappa
Julie Bishop is Android 18
Christopher Pyne is Yumcha
Tony Abbott is Captain Ginyu

:shrug:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

They're using liberals 2014 midyear lol.

Chris Bowen posted:

The previous policy that this document refers to is not the policy of the previous Labor government. The previous policy in this document is from the mid year economic forecast (Myefo) which the treasurer himself brought down, including $14bn of extra spending, including $9bn to the Reserve Bank, the doubling of the deficit.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Mad Katter posted:

This was through Paradise Community Church. I've never been religious, but I wound up there one and found it absolutely terrifying. It's a well oiled and high tech brainwashing/money extraction machine.

When I drove past it for the very first time I had just assumed it was a school or TAFE grounds, it's so loving big.

Cartoon posted:

As Chris Pyne outright excludes any possibility of not being a wrecker unless he can get a good kicking in.

ASIO must get super bored having to sift through endless meta-data tags threatening to put down that poodle.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

So uh anyone else watched the new friendlyjordies? It's talking about a method of farming that offers a really simple answer to land turning to desert, proven techniques to reverse it which would also make a massive impact on climate change -- to the point where it could bring atmospheric CO2 levels back to pre-industrial levels while increasing food production.

Jordies for ref
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=durydz6Fh9M

Here's the ted talk he's referencing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

Having watched both I'm just kinda marinating at the moment and trying to find out more info.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Susan Ryan Age and Disability Discrimination Commissioner  says the IGR is great news because grey army. :raise:

e

quote:

The Greens are going to move to change the charter of budget honesty to ensure the parliamentary budget office does future intergenerational reports rather than directed by treasurer.
Seems like a good idea even if it would just result in a different government department being sabotaged.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 5, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The intergenerational outcast has a fundamental assumption at its core for its forecasts that everyone needs to know. The assumption is for the next 35 years it will be continual uninterrupted growth with no recessions.

Summary:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Birb Katter posted:

Apparently TPP is 49-51 LNP / Lab. Oh, the leftist media has been waging jihad against the LNP

Can someone tell what exactly is the "leftist media" in this country anyway?

The ABS and SBS, okay sure. They're also the only TV news which isn't utter crap.

But what else? Anything?

Tommofork posted:

So uh anyone else watched the new friendlyjordies? It's talking about a method of farming that offers a really simple answer to land turning to desert, proven techniques to reverse it which would also make a massive impact on climate change -- to the point where it could bring atmospheric CO2 levels back to pre-industrial levels while increasing food production.

Jordies for ref

Having watched both I'm just kinda marinating at the moment and trying to find out more info.

Post it here when you do, please. This seems like the good stuff.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Gorilla Salad posted:

The ABS and SBS, okay sure. They're also the only TV news which isn't utter crap.

But what else? Anything?

Post it here when you do, please. This seems like the good stuff.

ABC has been shown to have a slight right bias and that is as left as we have aside from things like Crikey etc

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Whatever media the (conservative) person doesn't like

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Tommofork posted:

Jordies for ref

This seems about as likely as the mining industry going back to working with slaves and pick axes.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

open24hours posted:

This seems about as likely as the mining industry going back to working with slaves

I thought that was what Gina is lobbying for?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gina's an idiot though. A slave is a lot more expensive than a truck.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

I thought that was what Gina is lobbying for?

Indentured servants. Get it right.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Tommofork posted:

Jordies for ref

This is pretty astounding stuff. And it's got evidence 40 years old! Holy poo poo. I wonder what it'd mean for so much of Australia.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's junk, the guy is the agricultural equivalent of an activated almond. If running sheep could green the desert we'd have green deserts by now.

[EDIT: After reading a bit more about this it doesn't seem entirely settled and a lot more research is required before it will be. I remain skeptical though, as if it genuinely worked there is so much money to be made it seems unthinkable that it wouldn't have been adopted on a massive scale by now.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 5, 2015

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-05/constitutional-recognition-indigenous-people-racist-senator/6282972

some idiot posted:

Giving legal recognition to characteristics held by certain persons — particularly when those characteristics are inherent, like ancestry — represents a perverse sort of racism,

this guy posted:

Although it appears positive, it still singles some people out on the basis of race.

are you loving kidding me posted:

This is divisive... It is likely that some Australians do not respect the cultures, languages or heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples... What is the Parliament doing to these people when it asserts that the people of Australia respect Aboriginal cultures? It is casting them as 'un-Australian'.

:psypop:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
leftist media in australia is basically green left weekly, red flag and mike carlton's twitter account

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

open24hours posted:

It's junk, the guy is the agricultural equivalent of an activated almond. If running sheep could green the desert we'd have green deserts by now.

Are his results falsified or what?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-05/bali-nine-executions-not-this-week-indonesian-president/6281690

Ms Bishop had proposed to repatriate three convicted Indonesian drug criminals in return for the lives of the two men.

It is understood Indonesia did not accept the offer during a tense phone call on Tuesday between Ms Bishop and her Indonesian counterpart.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

I thought his point was that just running herds over them didn't work but you actually had to run herds over them in a specific way?

Note: I know nothing about agriculture and have no ability to judge the worth/worthlessness of this. So maybe I totally misunderstood.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
From the intergenerational report:

quote:

Governments must continue to plan for the potential economic and environmental
effects of climate change. Some economic effects may be beneficial — where regions
become warmer or wetter this may allow for increased agricultural output

:psyboom:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

We are all going to die :suicide::hf::suicide:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

Are his results falsified or what?

Not that I know of, but they haven't been able to be consistently reproduced and a lot of what he discusses is anecdotal.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
gently caress that's frustrating.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

These are literally Andrew Bolt talking points.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lyonhelm got in because people thought he was the LNP right? Any chance he'll retain his seat next time around?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

katlington posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-05/bali-nine-executions-not-this-week-indonesian-president/6281690

Ms Bishop had proposed to repatriate three convicted Indonesian drug criminals in return for the lives of the two men.

It is understood Indonesia did not accept the offer during a tense phone call on Tuesday between Ms Bishop and her Indonesian counterpart.
Apparently Abbott is trying to get Joko Widodo on the phone. I really hope they've given him the playtime Barbie one again. Otherwise :rolldice:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

katlington posted:

We're all going to die.

quote:

So how can the government help? Well we need to enable consumers. Consumers are on the march, consumers are changing the world through the use of technology. They are disintermediating every day life and government and regulation, and consumers need to be empowered. They need to be sovereign. We’ve got to facilitate change rather than restrict change and that is a problem facing governments everywhere in the world

Consumers of australia lend me your upvotes.

The consumer is king *dreams of raising consumption tax, smashing the poor ie those with the highest marginal propensity to consume*

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

katlington posted:

Lyonhelm got in because people thought he was the LNP right? Any chance he'll retain his seat next time around?

I would say his chances are so close to zero they might as well be zero. No one outside of political diehards even know who he is.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
In other news, rich person manages to avoid a recorded conviction for four counts of cocaine possession, only has to pay $2500 with no recorded conviction. This is for possession of more than 12 grams.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That's unfair, Lion Helm didn't get in just because people mistook the LDP for the Liberals. He was also first on the ballot and has spent years doing preference deals with other microparties.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

hooman posted:

I thought his point was that just running herds over them didn't work but you actually had to run herds over them in a specific way?

Note: I know nothing about agriculture and have no ability to judge the worth/worthlessness of this. So maybe I totally misunderstood.

Yep. The thing I don't get is how you actually start to reestablish the grasslands in the first place. :confused: I think I might buy his 2013 book, it seems really loving weird but kind of cool. Not sure why he's keen on cattle tho tbh, since modern breeds are still terrible in terms of carbon output biologically. Though that's probably bc of diet also. I'd be more likely to run sheep, alpaca and goats bc of their meat, dairy and fibre and lower carbon footprint, but I think we already knew that :v:

Permaculture is also p great for drought prone areas, hugelkultur in particular. Chuck a hugelkultur bed in every backyard, encourage cereal farmers to rotate crops instead of forcing them to destroy their land by producing unfeasible yields of the same poo poo in the same fields year on year, etc

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Mithranderp posted:

In other news, rich person manages to avoid a recorded conviction for four counts of cocaine possession, only has to pay $2500 with no recorded conviction. This is for possession of more than 12 grams.

Let's keep this bandwagon rollin'

Police Officer assaults driver, rams vehicle, accuses the person he assaulted of being the person who rammed the car in a false report, resulting in false imprisonment. Also pressures a junior officer into backing his false report.

So what sentence does the flagrant abuse of granted power carry? A strict jail sentence to "set an example" that corrupt behavior in our police force won't be tolerated? Don't be silly.

Fined $7000. Suspended sentence.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/former-senior-police-officer-who-attacked-driver-has-shamed-the-force-20150305-13vym4.html

• Locked thread