Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Just bring a Glaive and spend the entire fight jumping on them. It's not very glamorous but it gets the job done. Black Gravios starts turning into Duramboros - a giant HP wall. Thankfully he's super easy to ride, so just keep jumping at him and breaking random bits.

i mean, i beat it, it's just a huge piece of poo poo. never doing that one again if I can help it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rascyc posted:

You might be thinking of sleep bombing, in which case you want to make sure the most powerful type of bomb hits the enemy first.

Also applies to using bombs to get breaks. Since the damage is ignores defense, you can use bombs to help shatter some of those high defense hitzones. For example, I bring along bombs to help deal with Gravios' wings as melee. Mostly because they're difficult to reach, however.

Only reason to distribute your bombs in such a situation is to make sure you can apply enough damage to all of the parts you want to break.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Crowbear posted:

So what's the deal with this post-G3 stuff? The elder gave me an ancient text or something and I'm not sure what I have to do to progress from here.

Doing hunts unlocks the symbols, a full one gives you a new hunt, including new subspecies and apex fights and poo poo. When you fill out one he gives you another. Finishing these is the Silver/Gold crown some people have. Rajang is Silver crown, finishing them is the Gold.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Seems like once you hit high rank and the new Palicoes with new abilities start appearing, they're not exclusive to high rank quests. just grabbed a level 16 stamina palico with an ice-attack team skill while cleaning up old low-rank quests that unlock shop upgrades and stuff. By the way, at first I thought going back and doing those would be tedious but after losing over and over to a high-rank fight it's actually VERY cathartic to go back and kill a vanilla Khezu in like 3 minutes. Save a few so you can treat yourself

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

goferchan posted:

By the way, at first I thought going back and doing those would be tedious but after losing over and over to a high-rank fight it's actually VERY cathartic to go back and kill a vanilla Khezu in like 3 minutes. Save a few so you can treat yourself

When I eventually get to the late end of High Rank/early G-Rank I'll probably spend some time doing all of the gathering hall quests I skipped. In single player I'm pretty much doing everything as I get it or not too far afterwards. Especially when a scary monster comes up, I just wanna delay fighting it as much as possible.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Tamayachi posted:

My best moment so far is fighting the double Velocidrome HR quest, burning them both down to nothing and then rolling out of the way only to see one of them headbutt the other one and killing it in my stead.

I love goofy poo poo like this. Today I killed Emerald Congalala with my kinsect. He had just puffed out his chest, so I shot him right in the belly to get my orange essence. He just deflated. I was giggling for a while after that.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Randy Mythbuster posted:

I love goofy poo poo like this. Today I killed Emerald Congalala with my kinsect. He had just puffed out his chest, so I shot him right in the belly to get my orange essence. He just deflated. I was giggling for a while after that.

I've broken Zinogre's horns several times with my Kinsect and it's always so satisfying.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Not quite sure how, but I managed to beat the first Tigrex fight without carting or anything. Must've been dumb luck or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zodack posted:

I've broken Zinogre's horns several times with my Kinsect and it's always so satisfying.

I love it when my kinsect gets the kill or otherwise fucks up a monster. I think I've even gotten a tail with it once. It's great.

In unrelated news, Nyctgems do not exist. I'm not even going to keep using this glaive the moment I get Dala (or Fatalis to outright replace it), but I'm nevertheless compelled to take it one more stage up so I can be better at killing things until I replace it. Bah.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Does Palico equipment matter at all for the ones you send out on Meownster Hunter expeditions, or is it only for your main/sub Palico?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Thoom posted:

Does Palico equipment matter at all for the ones you send out on Meownster Hunter expeditions, or is it only for your main/sub Palico?

I don't think you can equip reserve cats (who are the only ones who can Meownster hunt).

I want to test out LBGs on a hunt with my brothers, am I alright just using the seregrias one to start with and using normal 2? Thinking of making the Rath Soul armor for it, since all I need is the two gems.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Thoom posted:

You can only put equipment on your 1st stringers, and you can't send your 1st stringers on Meownster Hunter, so no.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Every time I set a shock trap underneath a sleeping wounded monster, and then it doesn't trip it despite waking up literally on top of it, I want to cry. Then it runs away again and I'm left looking like a doof.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Every time I set a shock trap underneath a sleeping wounded monster, and then it doesn't trip it despite waking up literally on top of it, I want to cry. Then it runs away again and I'm left looking like a doof.

Putting a trap next to the monster's back is usually where you want to put it, it should trigger as soon as it's placed.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

weird bleep posted:

Putting a trap next to the monster's back is usually where you want to put it, it should trigger as soon as it's placed.
Yeah it's just a little awkward when there's wings and random poo poo strewn around everywhere. Just an experience thing, I'll get it eventually. For such a gigantic creatures I am surprised I have to be semi-precise about it.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is there any benefit to not taking my cat helper with me on hunts? It seems all positives, so I'm not sure why I would leave him behind.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

You can only put equipment on your 1st stringers, and you can't send your 1st stringers on Meownster Hunter, so no.

Derp. Small embarrassment, great relief.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TARDISman posted:

Not quite sure how, but I managed to beat the first Tigrex fight without carting or anything. Must've been dumb luck or something.

I just did the same thing on a fight that I was expecting much worse out of (Apex Seregios.) Only took about 12 minutes, at that. It was definitely dumb luck, though. A number of instances where his RNG failed on him and he just let me stand under his dingus, swinging away. I don't even know how I let myself even try it. I think I was cocky because of a spoilery buff the game gives you specifically for the fight/type of monster.

LibbyM posted:

Is there any benefit to not taking my cat helper with me on hunts? It seems all positives, so I'm not sure why I would leave him behind.

The guy who does gaijinhunter wrote about how he prefers to leave the cat(s) behind so the monster focuses entirely on him. Sounds kind of like a hard mode if you ask me, but there's the benefit of knowing the monster will direct its attacks towards you 100% of the time, instead of who-knows-what direction.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

A thunder insect glaive requires that I get a bunch of expedition quests or that I fight Rajang. I hate both of these options.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow I didn't think you could make a fight with a giant snake dragon annoying and not radical but boy the Najarala fight sucks and is bad. Cool mounting animation though.

edit: Thinking about it, it's mostly the god-awful camera's fault, really.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

CJacobs posted:

Wow I didn't think you could make a fight with a giant snake dragon annoying and not radical but boy the Najarala fight sucks and is bad. Cool mounting animation though.

edit: Thinking about it, it's mostly the god-awful camera's fault, really.
Just wait until Dalamadur.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Apparently I am really bad at this game or something. But how often are you supposed to farm stuff up and upgrade armor? I just reached the guild hall quests and still wearing chainmail gear, but now anything big just chunks 1/4 of my life off of me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Etrips posted:

Apparently I am really bad at this game or something. But how often are you supposed to farm stuff up and upgrade armor? I just reached the guild hall quests and still wearing chainmail gear, but now anything big just chunks 1/4 of my life off of me.

Guild Hall is where the multi-player quests are and they don't scale for the amount of people, so that'd be half your trouble.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Always upgrade your armor. Also even in the best armor you can expect to get 2-3 hit by endgame poo poo, and 1-2 shot as a gunner.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Guild Hall is where the multi-player quests are and they don't scale for the amount of people, so that'd be half your trouble.

Well, that would explain why a great jaggai just dumpstered me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Alxprit posted:

When I eventually get to the late end of High Rank/early G-Rank I'll probably spend some time doing all of the gathering hall quests I skipped. In single player I'm pretty much doing everything as I get it or not too far afterwards. Especially when a scary monster comes up, I just wanna delay fighting it as much as possible.

Right now I'm trying to just plan out what I need for my next upgrade and do quests accordingly. It's weird (but it's ok, and kind of cool) to play an RPG where you can't really grind to make things easier -- you might spend some time gathering materials but even though preperation is important it's still always possible to gently caress up the execution

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

FrickenMoron posted:

Always upgrade your armor. Also even in the best armor you can expect to get 2-3 hit by endgame poo poo, and 1-2 shot as a gunner.

Ok so how do I go back to farm more stuff? Right now the best gear available to me requires Seltas stuff or the velocidrome things. Do I just use the expedition ability?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Etrips posted:

Ok so how do I go back to farm more stuff? Right now the best gear available to me requires Seltas stuff or the velocidrome things. Do I just use the expedition ability?

You can redo quests through the Guildmarm. They're not one and done. And yes you can also do expeditions if there is a remark that the monster your hunting is in the area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just go to the guildmarm in the single player game world and select a quest you've already beaten to do it over again. You could also do one of the field tour missions if there aren't any with an objective that specifically points to the thing you want.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Guess I'm set on S. Zinogre Umbrage for now (not that I actually needed any). Got 3 from the single Zinogre in Fire Drill.

e: Actually they're all from the quest, since we didn't cap it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can redo quests. They're not one and done. And yes you can also do expeditions if there is a remark that the monster your hunting is in the area.

Oh well, poo poo. That makes things a lot easier. On another note, what are items that one should bring with them while hunting?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Etrips posted:

Oh well, poo poo. That makes things a lot easier. On another note, what are items that one should bring with them while hunting?

It can change depending on the monster you're hunting. Like if you're hunting something that can poison you, obviously you bring antidotes.

But in general, healing items, whetstones and cooked meat for stamina. Paintballs are usually in the blue box for pick up or you can buy/make more. Areas that are extreme cold or heat, you bring the opposing drinks which are also usually in the blue box but also buyable/creatable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Etrips posted:

Once you get to a state where you have enough of these:

Always bring:
- 10 potions
- 10 mega potions
- 10 herbs (for making more potions on the spot)
- 10 blue mushrooms (same)
- 10 honeys (for making those potions into more mega potions)
- 10+ Whetstones, just in case
- The max of the best pickaxe type you have available
- Bug nets, although I don't really know if you'll use them that often
- Antidotes/other status ailment cures not provided by the mission box

Maybe bring:
- If you prefer using meat to regain your stamina, bring meat, otherwise just stick to the rations
- Extra paintballs in case you miss with the freebie(s) they give you
- Poop bombs on missions with multiple big monsters, for scaring the extras off so you can hunt them one on one

The reason I say "once you get to a state where you have enough" is because once you do get a full loadout, you can save it as an item set. Then you can go to the box outside of the area where you depart for the quest and choose to equip the set to automatically refill everything, as well as dump any carves you got in the box.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 5, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Also bring:
1 Shock Trap
1 Pitfall Trap
5 Flash Bombs (especially for monsters like Rathian that are flashable out of flight)

And always bring:
10 Dung Bombs (these will instantly get you out of a grab, so they're good even in single target fights)

All of this stuff is farmable or buyable with the wycoon and isn't too hard to have. Traps are cheap, and if you're in multiplayer, you get a ton of time where your entire squad can slam the helpless monster.

And make sure to check which map the hunt is in, because you don't want to be the guy who forgets cold drinks in the volcano and slowly dies during the fight.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You guys realize this guy is fighting Great Jaggi right? ^^^^^^^^^ he doesn't need all that stuff not can he get most of it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If I was on Great Jaggi and read all that stuff I would never play the game again

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I went with the basics because I wouldn't believe someone who just did a quest one time and moved on would have the equipment to move on things like rath. :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I always bring Paintballs to mark the monster, one of each trap, materials to make two more traps, and tranq bombs. Not needed if you don't want to cap obviously, but traps are useful even if you're going for a kill - shock traps make it easier to take off tails and other parts, pit traps make it easier to break faces (monster dependant, some monsters respond differently to different traps).

I'll bring Flash/Sonic/Dung bombs depending on the monster(s).

Oh, and bring a Farcaster with your gathering set (just pickaxe/nets and heat/cold food if needed). Instant transport to base.

If a fight is really serious, you can bring out the heavy artillery - more materials to make advanced healing items, demon drugs, might pills, horns, super potion types, etcetc. Rarely needed, but when you're facing a new nasty monster that kicks your rear end, bringing all the things can let you schlub your way past it until you learn to fight it more cleanly/get better gear.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
My end game inventory typically looks like:
Book of Combos 1
Book of Combos 2
Potion x 10
Mega Potion x 10
Max Potion x 2
Powercharm
Powertalon
Armourcharm
Armourtalon
Well Done Steak x 10
Paintball x whatever
Farcaster
Whetstone x20
Honey x10
Herb x10
Blue Mushrom x10
Nullberries x10
Dung Bombs x10

With that I am ready for 85% of the fights in the game, just need to get drinks / antidotes / cleansers / deoderants etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If you're doing multiplayer it's always nice to bring a few lightcrystals so you can get your fellow players out of a jam sometimes.

• Locked thread