Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone post Ricky Muir's speech TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Muir's speech was outstanding. I've come around on him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The way Muir got into parliament was ridiculous but he's done better than a shitload of people in there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So the intergenerational report both skins over climate change AND includes statements that climate change may be good for the environment.

quote:

Labor leader Bill Shorten pointed to assertions in the report that some economic effects of climate change "may be beneficial - where regions become warmer or wetter this may allow for increased agricultural output".

"Can the Prime Minister confirm that the government believes that climate change may be beneficial?" he said.

Mr Abbott dismissed the opposition's attacks as "politicking", accusing Mr Shorten and environment spokesman Mark Butler of "disfiguring" debate.

"Do justice to this report," Mr Abbott said.

"We have a clear…we have a strong and effective policy to deal with climate change."

The Intergenerational Report grants 11 mentions to climate change, arguing "governments must continue to plan for the economic and environmental effects of climate change". While it says there may be economic benefits to climate change, it says there may also be falling crop yields and increasing damage to infrastructure from extreme weather.

Not worth the paper its printed on.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

Queensland's new government will sell some public assets but denies this conflicts with its dogged opposition to these type of transactions under the former LNP government.

Labor Deputy Premier Jackie Trad says assets such as unused land and vacant buildings will go under the hammer.

She insists Labor isn't backflipping on its anti-privatisation promise made during the recent state election campaign.

"What we said was that we would not sell assets that deliver dividends to the Queensland state budget, that made sure we had money to deliver the infrastructure and the services for the future," she said on Thursday.

"What Labor committed to at the Queensland election was not selling our strategic assets."

Ms Trad said the assets Labor was open to selling weren't state-owned companies and wouldn't involve job or revenue losses.

The deputy premier gave the example of selling old public housing properties and using the money to build new public housing.

Ms Trad said the new government had directed departments to stop the process of asset sales but hinted some major sales could still go ahead because the previous government had signed contracts.

"Where that can be done, where contracts have not been entered into, where it will not be problem for the public purse for those contracts to be broken - we have stopped those asset sales," Ms Trad said.

The privatisation issue sunk the last two state governments - first Labor, then the Liberal National Party - at the 2012 and 2015 elections, respectively.

Throughout the January election campaign, now Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk's overarching promise to voters was that "Labor will not sell your assets".

I guess QLD Labor are... selling assets anyway?! :psyduck:

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
There doesn't seem to be a transcript of Muir's speech so we'll have to wait for Hansard, but the quotes in this article make it sound like the whole thing should be worth a read

quote:

Ricky Muir has used his inaugural speech to mount a passionate defence of penalty rates, describing what it's like to lose sleep when the cost of living rises by $20 a week.

The Australian Motoring Enthusiast, who was elected to Parliament on a miniscule primary vote that was boosted by a favourable preferences deal, defended the current electoral system from attack by the major parties and said he would fight to prevent the 4WD and car culture being "legislated out of existence".

Senator Muir has spent eight months in the Senate before delivering his first speech – thought to be a record - but when it came it was warm and self-deprecating.

He thanked veteran TV host Mike Willesee for the train wreck interview in which he failed in numerous attempts to explain what the automotive aftermarket is.

He said Willesee had taught him a lesson: "Just to be myself".

That person, he said, was a rural Victorian family man who had spent a childhood "below the poverty line" but dreamed of leaving school at age 16 and getting straight into manual work, most recently a timber mill worker.

"I wanted to work in earth-moving or on a farm, in manufacturing, a factory, as a mechanic, with tools, wear stubbies, hi-vis and have the constant pale shade of a singlet embedded on my otherwise tanned skin," he said.

But the working life came with the challenge of surviving in working class Australia.

"I have a long history of living at the receiving end of legislative changes, of feeling the squeeze of new, or higher taxes, feeling the pressure and even losing sleep when you realise that the general cost of living just went up a tiny $20 dollars a week. To everyone sitting in this chamber, if you think $20 a week is nothing, or just a pack of cigarettes and or a few beers, you have never lived in the real world," he said.

"I have been the beneficiary of penalty rates. I worked shift work and weekends not for the love of the job but because there was financial incentive to do so.

"This is called disposable cash and in my case this was spent on hobbies such as riding dirt bikes with my wife and children, buying camping supplies as it was an inexpensive way for us to go on holidays, maintaining my 4x4 and competing in affordable grass roots motorsport.

"That disposable cash ended supporting Australian manufacturers in the aftermarket industry, local businesses, communities and retailers helping create and maintain Australian jobs."

The Coalition has tasked the Productivity Commission with reviewing workplace conditions and it will consider penalty rates.

Senator Muir said he had been "fed up" with the two-party system when he decided to stand for election but vowed not be an obstructionist in the Senate and denied that the Senate was "dysfunctional and unworkable".

But he delivered a warning to the major parties to leave alone the system which has enabled micro-party candidates like him to join the crossbench on the back of preference deals.

"There has been plenty of commentary of how the voting system is broken and un-democratic which in my eyes completely misses the point. For my crossbench colleagues and I to be elected, people had to be voting for parties other than the major parties, and they did. A huge 24 per cent in the Senate … the system is not broken, and does not need to be fixed," he said.

Senator Muir paid tribute to his wife Kerri-Anne and five children who were in the gallery to watch his inaugural speech.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Muir's maiden speech to parliament was even better than Julia Gillard's maiden speech, from what I've read. Really hope he can live up to the big talk in the same way Gillard did.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The way Muir got into parliament was ridiculous but he's done better than a shitload of people in there.
The way most people get into parliament is pretty ridiculous to be honest.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
More reasons to like Ricky Muir: https://twitter.com/muir_ricky

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBFnGnV0Dv8

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
:golfclap:

I got five minuets in, but will definitely listen to the rest later.

He's got a good person behind him somewhere.

Tirade posted:

More reasons to like Ricky Muir: https://twitter.com/muir_ricky

:haw:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

cpaf posted:

Muir's maiden speech to parliament was even better than Julia Gillard's maiden speech, from what I've read. Really hope he can live up to the big talk in the same way Gillard did.

So you want Muir to be a neo-liberal shill with no principles?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

thatfatkid posted:

A much better PM than the one who knifed him.

thatfatkid posted:

And then Julia Gillard goes on to water the tax down as much as possible to please the mining companies. She really was the personification of everything terrible about the ALP.

You seem to strongly dislike Julia Gillard and / or Labor

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

hiddenmovement posted:

Keep in mind that we are currently in the middle of Stolen Generation 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Aboriginal child removal rate was 4.9% in 2013, up from 1.1% in 2004. Non-Indigenous went from 0.3% to 0.6%. The Intervention continues. He was so, so sorry. :allears:

https://newmatilda.com/2014/11/20/removal-aboriginal-children-crisis-point-and-rising

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 5, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

thatfatkid posted:

So you want Muir to be a neo-liberal shill with no principles?

I'm just happy Auspol has fallen in love with a folksy straight-talker and are happy to put aside the small matter of him passing Morrison's Migration Act amendment

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cpaf posted:

I'm just happy Auspol has fallen in love with a folksy straight-talker and are happy to put aside the small matter of him passing Morrison's Migration Act amendment
Muir got hosed over by that, don't even try to compare him to a Labor Senator who would rubber stamp stuff like that.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

quote:

The Intergenerational Report grants 11 mentions to climate change, arguing "governments must continue to plan for the economic and environmental effects of climate change". While it says there may be economic benefits to climate change, it says there may also be falling crop yields and increasing damage to infrastructure from extreme weather.

How is this real. How can this actually be released in a 'serious' report by an actual national government.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Yeah but guys, you never know, this continual heating of the earth might mean we could grow mangoes in Tasmania, so swings and roundabouts.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
poo poo is crazy as gently caress

The Article posted:

A small fleet of brightly coloured Vietnamese fishing boats based in Darwin are believed to be replacing the orange lifeboats used by the Customs and Border Protection department to tow back asylum seeker boats that make it to Australian waters.

Fairfax Media understands that 10 red, blue and green wooden boats have been bought by the Customs department from Dragon Industries Asia as "tow back" boats in a multi-million dollar project.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fruity Gordo posted:

Aboriginal child removal rate was 4.9% in 2013, up from 1.1% in 2004. Non-Indigenous went from 0.3% to 0.6%. The Intervention continues. He was so, so sorry. :allears:

https://newmatilda.com/2014/11/20/removal-aboriginal-children-crisis-point-and-rising

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't consciously think when clicking on an article about indigenous Australian children being stolen, "Man, there's no way anyone can somehow make this about Israel!", but it's always there at the back of my mind; so I live my life in a state of constant surprise.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

You Am I posted:

Muir got hosed over by that, don't even try to compare him to a Labor Senator who would rubber stamp stuff like that.

Yeah absolutely and that's a tremendous glowing recommendation for him as a parliamentarian. He's completely incompetent and totally unreliable but boy does he spin a great yarn about his dad who did it real hard back when we lived in shoeboxes in the middle of the street.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

You Am I posted:

Wait, what?

If an ALP senator would rubber stamp it, why did they need Muir's vote?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

cpaf posted:

Yeah absolutely and that's a tremendous glowing recommendation for him as a parliamentarian. He's completely incompetent and totally unreliable but boy does he spin a great yarn about his dad who did it real hard back when we lived in shoeboxes in the middle of the street.

He was lucky. We would have dreamed of a shoebox. It would've been luxury.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Lid posted:

He was lucky. We would have dreamed of a shoebox. It would've been luxury.

We couldn't afford dreams, we just collapsed in an unconscious heap for four hours.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

tithin posted:

You seem to strongly dislike Julia Gillard and / or Labor

Yeah and?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I am so mad at Qld Labor now. Almost makes me wanna go to the next greens meeting.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

cpaf posted:

I like Ricky for the same reasons that I liked Tony Windsor - in an ocean of 24-hour bullshit and talking points they're an island of plain speaking and it's clear that although he's not yet too politically savvy (hence getting hosed over in the Migration Act negotiations), he's a good person and is trying to do what he thinks is right. He's lived the working class life and seems genuinely committed to actually representing their interests, which puts him leagues ahead of the Senators from the majors.

Also he did this bit talking about the challenges of youth unemployment which is pretty honest as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDztSM_89A

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Anidav posted:

I am so mad at Qld Labor now. Almost makes me wanna go to the next greens meeting.

Did you lose a vote at a YL meeting?

It's a pretty common pathway to the Greens. Join ALP YL, lose a vote, say 'gently caress it' and join the Greens.

Join the Greens, realise that the average age is 60 and it's full of baby boomers interested in niche issues. Realise they don't actually do much of use. Quit them and start a blog and a parody twitter account.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 5, 2015

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hey! That twitter account is 100% serious :mad:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They are selling assets now. Government is only a mere month old. I had small hope but I should probably rid of my new ALP government soft spot.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm already in the green :v:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Anidav posted:

They are selling assets now. Government is only a mere month old. I had small hope but I should probably rid of my new ALP government soft spot.

There not selling goverment assets, as you know they promised not to, so instead they're just selling goverment assets.

Any confusion on the difference is your fault. Labor is blameless.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Tirade posted:

I like Ricky for the same reasons that I liked Tony Windsor - in an ocean of 24-hour bullshit and talking points they're an island of plain speaking and it's clear that although he's not yet too politically savvy (hence getting hosed over in the Migration Act negotiations), he's a good person and is trying to do what he thinks is right. He's lived the working class life and seems genuinely committed to actually representing their interests, which puts him leagues ahead of the Senators from the majors.

Also he did this bit talking about the challenges of youth unemployment which is pretty honest as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDztSM_89A

Isn't this just a love letter to the personality politics that has defaced Australian government over the last few decades? Who cares if he's a good person or whatever when he has already done more harm than he possibly could do good? Why does this thread readily (and correctly) permanently condemn politicians for mistakes and decisions and go misty-eyed over this loving idiot?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What they said is that there's certain things they can't legally back out of and they're open to selling buildings and land that is sitting idle.

Calm down.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It rubs me the wrong way. Just like the koala cull.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why would they need those when the boats have been stopped?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Why would they need those when the boats have been stopped?

That's an on water matter and can't be discussed

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

cpaf posted:

Isn't this just a love letter to the personality politics that has defaced Australian government over the last few decades? Who cares if he's a good person or whatever when he has already done more harm than he possibly could do good? Why does this thread readily (and correctly) permanently condemn politicians for mistakes and decisions and go misty-eyed over this loving idiot?

Because he's an actual blue-collar Australian not a bland generic member of the political elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

It rubs me the wrong way. Just like the koala cull.

Show me on the dead Koala where Labor touched you.

• Locked thread