Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Esroc posted:

A few pages late but I love tackling the assumptions behind the Legendary "form".

Broly's supposed legendary transformation is nothing more than an SSj "3rd Grade/Stage", or "Ultra" SSj as it is called by a lot of American fans. The same form used by Trunks against perfect Cell and briefly by Goku in the Time Chamber. Vegeta uses a lower-power version called "2nd Grade/Stage" specifically because of the 3rd grades drawbacks. Namely, its bulky size makes you slow as hell. But despite everything they are still not transformations in and of themselves, they are merely what happens when anyone forces 100% power output. This is the exact same phenomenon we see with Freiza at the end of his battle with Goku, and Master Roshi when he whips out his Kamehameha. Cell does it as well but I can't remember when or why. The temporary bulked up form happens anytime a fighter pushes their ki to 100%, regardless of transformation or species.

What this means is that technically there is a "Ultra" Super Saiyan form for every form.

Now what makes Broly special is that he somehow found a way to force all his ki into usability without taking both the speed hit and the naturally body degrading aspect of cramming 100% of your ki reserves into your goddamn muscles like a squirrel hoarding acorns. Normally if anyone else tries to use 100% of their power at all times it will eventually burn them out, which is why even powerful fighters like Beerus only fight at a low percentage of their true power. But Broly is unaffected and thus can use 100% of his power all the time any time. Thus his SSj 2/3/4 forms are always Hulked Out.

In conclusion, there is no "Legendary Super Saiyan" form. Broly was only given that moniker because he was kind of scary as gently caress and had a habit of destroying everything he touched when he transformed, just like the fabled Legendary Super Saiyan.

The guide books written by the people who designed Broly specifically point out that LSSJ is a form all its own, and not "Ultra". It works differently because according to Broly movie canon, he flat out IS the LSSJ, or its reincarnation, and isn't beholden to manga/anime rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shyrka posted:

We'd probably have been better off without power levels because it would allow every villain to have its own Ginyu Force style group without it seeming bullshit that there's now a half dozen dudes stronger than freeza that are just being minions instead of conquering galaxies. And the later arcs were diminished by not having Ginyu equivalents I think we can all agree.

It also means we could have sperg arguments about 'Who would win' between various villains without power levels settling the question out the gate. I mean, was the villain from The Big Boss weaker than the villain from Enter the Dragon? If Bruce Lee had a power level we'd know for sure!

Well, to be fair, even before the concept of power levels showed up there was a clear progression in terms of strength. The first villain that outright hands Goku his rear end is Mercenary Tao. So Goku trains under Korin for a couple of days then comes back and slaps Tao around. Three years later, Goku is perfectly equal with Tenshinhan. After that fight, Goku almost gets killed by King Piccolo even before KP had gotten his youth back. Then Goku drinks the Ultra Divine Water or whatever its called, then fights King Piccolo again when KP is younger and stronger, and beats him. He goes to Kami's Lookout and can't land a single hit on Mr. Popo and Kami sends him flying with a single flick of his finger, so he trains there for three years. Kami enters the next tournament disguised as a human and fights Piccolo Jr., and its pretty clear that Piccolo Jr. is stronger. Then Goku fights Piccolo and they're evenly matched and there's an epic battle. Oh, and also Mercenary Tao comes back as a cyborg, but gets beat by Tenshinhan like he's nothing. And Tenshinhan loses to Goku even when Goku isn't going all-out yet.

So, who's stronger: Mercenary Tao or Piccolo Jr.?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dragon Ball Heroes also just got a new thing for Revival of F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-BFZDjfQdI

Featuring Jaco as well.

Why the gently caress is Xenoverse not getting this?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Kurui Reiten posted:

The guide books written by the people who designed Broly specifically point out that LSSJ is a form all its own, and not "Ultra". It works differently because according to Broly movie canon, he flat out IS the LSSJ, or its reincarnation, and isn't beholden to manga/anime rules.

Except that the real Legendary Super Saiyan was a Golden Oozharu, reincarnation only happens to good souls (or Goku pulling strings) and the LSSj presumably was far from a good person, and rejecting the manga and anime just isn't a good excuse. So regardless of what the creators of their Hulk ripoff state, they are still bound by anime or manga canon.

In short, they may have created him. But they're wrong.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Esroc posted:

A few pages late but I love tackling the assumptions behind the Legendary "form".

Broly's supposed legendary transformation is nothing more than an SSj "3rd Grade/Stage", or "Ultra" SSj as it is called by a lot of American fans. The same form used by Trunks against perfect Cell and briefly by Goku in the Time Chamber. Vegeta uses a lower-power version called "2nd Grade/Stage" specifically because of the 3rd grades drawbacks. Namely, its bulky size makes you slow as hell. But despite everything they are still not transformations in and of themselves, they are merely what happens when anyone forces 100% power output. This is the exact same phenomenon we see with Freiza at the end of his battle with Goku, and Master Roshi when he whips out his Kamehameha. Cell does it as well but I can't remember when or why. The temporary bulked up form happens anytime a fighter pushes their ki to 100%, regardless of transformation or species.

What this means is that technically there is a "Ultra" Super Saiyan form for every form.

Now what makes Broly special is that he somehow found a way to force all his ki into usability without taking both the speed hit and the naturally body degrading aspect of cramming 100% of your ki reserves into your goddamn muscles like a squirrel hoarding acorns. Normally if anyone else tries to use 100% of their power at all times it will eventually burn them out, which is why even powerful fighters like Beerus only fight at a low percentage of their true power. But Broly is unaffected and thus can use 100% of his power all the time any time. Thus his SSj 2/3/4 forms are always Hulked Out.

In conclusion, there is no "Legendary Super Saiyan" form. Broly was only given that moniker because he was kind of scary as gently caress and had a habit of destroying everything he touched when he transformed, just like the fabled Legendary Super Saiyan.

I like your explanation, even if it is just fanon. It does a good job of making sense of this anime bullshit. Good job, sir or madam.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Esroc posted:

Except that the real Legendary Super Saiyan was a Golden Oozharu, reincarnation only happens to good souls (or Goku pulling strings) and the LSSj presumably was far from a good person, and rejecting the manga and anime just isn't a good excuse. So regardless of what the creators of their Hulk ripoff state, they are still bound by anime or manga canon.

If you're trying to argue Broly's status in normal canon, it's "He doesn't exist", the end. If you're trying to argue Broly in general, you have to use the information supplied for that canon. That information flat out says "This is how Broly works, and this is who he is", and for that particular instance it's true. Did the original LSSJ work differently in the series? Sure, but for Broly's specific line, that's how it worked and that's how it works.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Esroc posted:

On the other hand a bunch of quasi official sources such as games and fanbooks have touched on the idea that Broly has a form all his own. It has been named as legendary a handful of times and has distinctive visual characteristics and power up animation that differentiate it from lower forms.

It could just be the same thing as trunks taken to absurd degree, but you are left explaining why it is so much more powerful that it outdoes a ssj2 in a straight up fight, has no speed loss, has the cool 'tarnished gold' colouring and so forth.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes. I'm glad you understand how narrative structures work. You start off with one event and then everything builds on to it.

It was a GameFAQs post. Thanks for the unnecessary snark, though!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Esroc posted:

The Golden Oozaru is an anime only creation, its literally something they just flashed up on screen because Vegeta monologuing isn't all that interesting.

Ironically it is more canon that Bardock was the original Super Saiyan than the idea of the great golden ape being a thing outside of GT. I'm guessing Bardock didn't reincarnate as Broly, so it was probably someone after him if they're trying to keep to the idea of reincarnation.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Caros posted:

On the other hand a bunch of quasi official sources such as games and fanbooks have touched on the idea that Broly has a form all his own. It has been named as legendary a handful of times and has distinctive visual characteristics and power up animation that differentiate it from lower forms.

It could just be the same thing as trunks taken to absurd degree, but you are left explaining why it is so much more powerful that it outdoes a ssj2 in a straight up fight, has no speed loss, has the cool 'tarnished gold' colouring and so forth.

Kurui Reiten posted:

If you're trying to argue Broly's status in normal canon, it's "He doesn't exist", the end. If you're trying to argue Broly in general, you have to use the information supplied for that canon. That information flat out says "This is how Broly works, and this is who he is", and for that particular instance it's true. Did the original LSSJ work differently in the series? Sure, but for Broly's specific line, that's how it worked and that's how it works.

Keep in mind that when I go off on these Dragonball rants or any rant about a media propertym such as Star Wars for example, I abide strictly by "what is shown, not what is stated." Dialogue is often contradictory, or outright wrong. Outside writers who aren't the exact creator himself or ultranerd fans themselves often don't know anything about what they're writing about and are just given bullet points and told to come up with a script. Therefore in my opinion my "shown not told" philosophy is justified.

Everything we see except maybe the trippy color pallet supports LSSJ just being a finely tuned 100% Maximum Power form as used by several characters throughout the series.

Caros posted:

The Golden Oozaru is an anime only creation, its literally something they just flashed up on screen because Vegeta monologuing isn't all that interesting.

Ironically it is more canon that Bardock was the original Super Saiyan than the idea of the great golden ape being a thing outside of GT. I'm guessing Bardock didn't reincarnate as Broly, so it was probably someone after him if they're trying to keep to the idea of reincarnation.

In Dragonball all things are canon. And nothing is without canon. It is only the manner in which it is canon that is up for debate.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How do I play Supersonic Warriors?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
:filez: ?

Holy gently caress, there's DBZ Hair Wax? Wow.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just read the first chapter of that three part Revival of F manga.

The first thing he does upon being revived is kill one of his random henchmen. :allears:

StrifeHira posted:

Shin Budokai: Another Road, as previously mentioned, has one version of it which involves Trunks gathering the past warriors (who've already beaten Buu) and goes into things like Future Gohan getting the Elder Kai powerup after Past Gohan breaks the Z Sword, a side-trip to Namek for Cooler shenanigans, and Buu eventually absorbing Babidi. It's... neat, but has some hangups.

Dragon Ball Heroes has a different take on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4FOnaQusA

Somehow I ended up asking the same question in less than a few pages. :downs:

But thanks. I didn't know all those details about that game.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
^^^ No prob.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Featuring Jaco as well.

God do I love the little music snippets Heroes gets. It's all so energetic. :3:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

DLC, probably. It WILLget Jaco at the very least (sort of already has, in Japan). Also Heroes is an Arcade Card Game, it's easier to make new expansions for it.

Esroc posted:

Broly stuff

I'll throw my two :goonsay: cents in since by Beerus, why not, we're all DBZ nerds here. OK, I'll say this, I think "Legendary" Super Saiyan is a different form, or rather different offshoot, of Super. This is due to how I think Super Saiyan sort of works: Saiyan gets really REALLY angry, and they draw power from the angry. Anger enough to go beyond the more primal strength of the Oozaru. The different levels are different ways of accessing that strength, drawing power from the greater and greater depths of the anger. The different "stages" of Super 1, with more buff being just trying to draw strength out of that same "base" anger, suffering some decrease in speed as a result, and where Goku and Gohan's ability to stay in Super Saiyan was complete mastery over that anger; they could draw strength from it, but they were in complete control. Super 2 and 3 are greater depths, with 3 drawing from a more primal anger. In this way, the strength of Super Saiyan actually does come from within the users themselves, and the Elder Kai unlocking Gohan's full power was merely letting that "power from rage" come out in full force without the need to actually use the Super Saiyan rage.

What does this have to do with "Legendary" Super Saiyan? Simple; it's like that Super Saiyan rage, but draws from a far less "stable" source of rage. "Legendary" Super Saiyan is basically a Saiyan giving in to the rage and instead of them controlling it, it's controlling them. A psychotic, gleefully destructive force drives them, and in essence can "infect" the other forms with the same source. Hence why Broly is all buff even in Super 3 and 4. The side-effect is that one turns out like, well, Broly. Cackling mad and wanting nothing more than to crush everything they see like a bug, especially the source of what's making the dude so angry.

As a bonus, I'll throw in an idea about Super Saiyan God. It's the complete OPPOSITE of Super Saiyan, and in effect the polar opposite of "Legendary" Super Saiyan; instead of drawing strength from one's own rage, it comes from the desire for justice and protecting peace pouring into the Saiyan from others. Think of it being like, Super Saiyan comes about from a desire to avenge some wrong done to the Saiyan (death of a friend, threatening a loved one, etc.), Super Saiyan God comes about from a desire to defend and protect through the pure-hearted Saiyans that unlock it. This explains why everything about the transformation is the reverse of the usual Super Saiyan trends; thinner and leaner instead of bulkier and buffer, calming transformation instead of a blaze of gold, etc.

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 5, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Who says we're not getting it? Xenoverse is already sort of a single/multiplayer version of Dragonball Heroes in your living room, I expect us to fully go down this path to essentially get more and more if the popularity remains high for it.

Xenoverse 2 is lining up to be absolutely killer or the biggest DBZ disappointment since Ultimate Tenkaichi.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Firstborn posted:

It was a GameFAQs post. Thanks for the unnecessary snark, though!

Sorry, didn't seem too off from your normal posts. You're welcome, I guess. Gotta keep that SA experience real.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

StrifeHira posted:

As a bonus, I'll throw in an idea about Super Saiyan God. It's the complete OPPOSITE of Super Saiyan, and in effect the polar opposite of "Legendary" Super Saiyan; instead of drawing strength from one's own rage, it comes from the desire for justice and protecting peace pouring into the Saiyan from others. Think of it being like, Super Saiyan comes about from a desire to avenge some wrong done to the Saiyan (death of a friend, threatening a loved one, etc.), Super Saiyan God comes about from a desire to defend and protect through the pure-hearted Saiyans that unlock it. This explains why everything about the transformation is the reverse of the usual Super Saiyan trends; thinner and leaner instead of bulkier and buffer, calming transformation instead of a blaze of gold, etc.

I wonder if Goku can use Spirit Bomb as a SSGod.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if Goku can use Spirit Bomb as a SSGod.

Xenoverse says so, and I think one of his attacks in Heroes is the Spirit Bomb, so probably?

Oh man, what if that's how they beat Freeza in the new movie? The Spirit Bomb FINALLY works against him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Betting it will. You can even see Time Patrol Trunks. We will probably get Revival of F DLC

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wouldn't it be more efficient to sell XV2 featuring Revival of F content?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Esrocs explanation contradicts the guide books but so does Dragon Ball Heroes SSJ4 Broly retaining his hulkness. Esrocs explanation does the best job of reconciling that apparent contradiction I think :shrug:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pureauthor posted:

MMOs can be expensive to make. It could be better for ROI of X1 to pump poo poo into it and keep it alive rather than make a sequel that may potentially be a costly failure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Super Saiyans are bullshit.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Featuring Jaco as well.

It just now realized the skinny purple guy is wearing scouter shades. That's loving rad

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

XV won't be getting a sequel for 2 or 3 years even if it does get one, at which point that movie will be 2 or 3 years old naturally. They'll make money on DLC for it though so that'd definitely the best option for them I'd imagine.

That said, I'm sure they're amazed at how well XV has done so XV 2 is probably going to happen. Hope the character creation is much better though. It's okay for Frieza's if you want a final form one, but everything else is pretty limited. All of the hair cuts for Humans/Saiyans are garbage.

e: typo

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 5, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Everyone needs a super form. Nameks, earthlings, Freeza's, Majins, Androids and Cells.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

By the way, what exactly was it that sparked the recent comeback of DBZ stuff with new content from AT and movies and everything?

Mordaedil posted:

Everyone needs a super form. Nameks, earthlings, Freeza's, Majins, Androids and Cells.

Given Super 13 and Super 17, I for one never want to see anything related to android super-modes ever again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

By the way, what exactly was it that sparked the recent comeback of DBZ stuff with new content from AT and movies and everything?

Given Super 13 and Super 17, I for one never want to see anything related to android super-modes ever again.

Let's instead pretend the difference is the same as between Android 19 to 17 to 16.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 5, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cell's super mode was best. It made him shiny and even more perfect. Frieza's is okay, it looks dumb, but just imagine the TFS puns we're going to get in a decade or so.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If they don't make it a Saints Row reference, I don't know if I'll be able to contain my screams. Either way really. I just hope they don't go for the Lakers reference, because nobody outside of the US will get that and I kinda loved the fact that their jokes so far have been sort of ubiquitous of nationality.

At least more and more so from early episodes.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Pureauthor posted:

My guess would be the response to DBZKai.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twiddy posted:

My guess would be the response to DBZKai.
The lukewarm response that failed to meet their expectations?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Endorph posted:

The lukewarm response that failed to meet their expectations?
Wasn't the American response more positive? Mind I don't have any numbers about that. If it's not that then what was it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragon Ball is neat, recently hit a notable anniversary at 30 years, and probably does well enough to carry on making things for even if it's not a barn burner in 2015. There probably aren't many people who hate Dragon Ball, and after 30 years, there are plenty of people who will see it and get nostalgia and take interest again for a while.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Battle of the Gods did a lot of things right. That's my only explanation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twiddy posted:

Wasn't the American response more positive? Mind I don't have any numbers about that. If it's not that then what was it?
i dont know how ti did on tv but in terms of dvd sales, the dragon boxes - which were just the original series slapped onto a DVD set with no frills - did way better than the DBZ kai DVDs

toriyama felt like doing something, so he did battle of the gods

people liked it

it isn't any more complicated than that

and I mean, it's not like DBZ was dead. Even before battle of the gods happened, games were coming out constantly. The DBZ cardarcade games (like DB: Heroes) were a big success in Japan. It isn't like Yu Yu Hakusho is suddenly relevant again, DBZ was is and forever will be a cultural touchstone on par with, say, Batman in the US.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 5, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cause we need stuff for DLC and sequels, cause seriously Online and Heroes(along with all of Dragon Ball, most of the Movies, Neko Majin Z, and some of GT not already in XV) has enough content for at least two more games depending on both what gets added in DLC and how packed XV2 will be

Covok
May 27, 2013

From everything I've seen of DB: Heroes, it looks like it loves to take a fanfiction writer's pen to DBZ. I mean you got Super 17 merging with Android 16, SS4 Broly, and evil Bardock. The reason I bring this up is I can't tell if this would be good or awful if it got added to Xenoverse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite thing from those trailers is Trunks going Super Saiyan 3 and then using his sword to kill the bubblegum monster who can't be harmed by being slashed at all. They nailed his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

He infused his sword with Haki, duh.

• Locked thread