Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think I figured out why I never get better at limited. Because I like playing with fun cards and half the time I never pull any and then I get bored and want to quit. Bulk rares don't have to be constructed quality. But they can't be Rally the Ancestors. (The actual rares I got were Scroll of the Masters, Howl of the Horde, Slow Turtle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean Durdle Turtle can be fun sometimes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Literally the most fun thing about that turtle is saying "Durdle turtle." The card is awful and Wizards should feel bad for wasting everyone's time with a card that exists just so Maro can mentally masturbate about successfully describing a really slow turtle attacking in MTG terms.

(I think its what I described plus drafting being very expensive.)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 5, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

Literally the most fun thing about that turtle is saying "Durdle turtle." The card is awful and Wizards should feel bad for wasting everyone's time with a card that exists just so Maro can mentally masturbate about successfully describing a really slow turtle attacking in MTG terms.

Oh come on, you've never cast kin-tree invocation with the durdle turtle out? It's better than just being a 5/9 defender, also I like having rares in limited that are less than first pick quality yet still playable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can't wait until someone inevitably says maybe the rares aren't for you or that not all rares are so bad or some nonsense instead of just making fewer, better cards.

e: welp, I was already beaten

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Re: "what is megamorph?"

Dragons like big things, so of course Morph in a Tarkir filled with dragons are going to be bigger. It's just common sense.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't do 'dragonmorph', where the unmorphed card gains Flying and is a Dragon in addition to its other types (as well as getting a +1/+1 counter). :getin:

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Starving Autist posted:

Have they explained the flavor of megamorph? I mean, in this block, morph is supposed to represent draconic "conealment magic", so is megamorph just that plus an extra bonus because they got the magic directly from the dragons? :shrug:

Megamorph is the most phoned-in new mechanic in recent memory, so I doubt the forethought of it went much beyond "gently caress it, the deadline is tomorrow."

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Angry Grimace posted:

The best part about Durdle Turtle was thinking Dragon Throne of Tarkir worked off of toughness, not power, and slapping that giant shelled sumbitch into the chair (in limited) and then realizing it didn't quite work the way you planned, but a +5/+5 overrun effect is still pretty good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Can't wait until someone inevitably says maybe the rares aren't for you or that not all rares are so bad or some nonsense instead of just making fewer, better cards.

e: welp, I was already beaten

That card is for one guy.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

the turtle is actually really insanely good against blue because it's an evasive creature in a color that doesn't get them and evasion is really good in ktk. welp see ya

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Meandering Towershell is at least funny (if you're not the one who opened it), which is more than you can say for a lot of rares.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Meandering Towershell is at least funny (if you're not the one who opened it), which is more than you can say for a lot of rares.

I think the problem is that a lot of cards simply don't do anything good, but they manage to be bad in a complex way, which necessitates putting them at rare.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

I like to call him Durdle the Turtle, because I grew up on Doctor Seuss.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chamale posted:

I like to call him Durdle the Turtle, because I grew up on Doctor Seuss.

Oh, the places he'll go!

Like the exile, then the graveyard, then the bulk bin.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I just want to know what Durdle Turtle is going to do in Dragons' future, hopefully he'll exist and be better.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Elyv posted:

I just want to know what Durdle Turtle is going to do in Dragons' future, hopefully he'll exist and be better.

The DTK durdle turtle durdles around until the end of your next turn, and then he returns to the battlefield, confused.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

they'll just remove all the words after the first period to represent alzheimers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I forced a guy to play out his Temur Ascendancy combo on MTGO. It took him literally 10 minutes to execute it (I already won game 1). He never even managed to even get his kill - he ran out of time as he was lining up a huge Nylea strike.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

I forced a guy to play out his Temur Ascendancy combo on MTGO. It took him literally 10 minutes to execute it (I already won game 1). He never even managed to even get his kill - he ran out of time as he was lining up a huge Nylea strike.

For anyone not familiar with MTGO it doesn't matter who won game 1 here, if you run out of clock you lose.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

For anyone not familiar with MTGO it doesn't matter who won game 1 here, if you run out of clock you lose.

The insane thing is that he conceded game 1 in less than 30 seconds, so it actually took him 25 minutes to set up a "guaranteed" win he couldn't actually execute.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Clearly the exercise in running the combo will do him only good. I'd say you did him a favour!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Despite bad rares being awful a high density of bomb rares seems even worse ala FKK.

Can we go back to limited formats with good removal at common please holy poo poo wizards. I don't want flame slash and heat ray (i mean that would own but lets be honest its not gonna happen) but if we could have even like i dunno doomblade or dark banishing hell I'll even take hideous end (but preferably without the rest of zendikar) and maybe a banishing light or journey to nowhere at common.

I would even be okay with vendetta.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I still love how they did it in my opinion correctly in Innistrad: common removal was plentiful, but at the same time reasonably conditional.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Atarka's Command spoiled on Facebook

RG
Instant - Rare

Choose two:
- Your opponents can't gain life this turn
- ~ deals 3 damage to each opponent
- You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield
- Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain reach until end of turn

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In this standard I am definitely willing to splash green for Skullcrack.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Serperoth posted:

RG
Instant - Rare

Choose two:

Oh this is my jam. Lava Spike+ramp in one card?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I finally read Uncharted Realms, and I think Narset's and Ojutai's interaction is adorable. I expected Ojutai to erupt into a towering rage when Narset found the forbidden scrolls. Instead, he basically said, "You have snatched the pebble from my hand, grasshopper. It is time for you to leave." :3::hf::smaug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Serperoth posted:

RG
Instant - Rare

Choose two:

Looks like it slots straight into modern burn pretty well. Skullcrack at the bare minimum, while being 2 mana for 4+ damage if you have any attackers in play at all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It can also usually do 4 damage if you don't need to prevent lifegain.

redux
Apr 23, 2008
Perhaps most importantly, none of its modes target so its a little bit of a bonus against Leyline of Sanctity.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
here's a screencap so you don't have to sit through the community manager attempt to inject inflection into his voice like a real human

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I love how goofy the dragon poses are.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I love how goofy the dragon poses are.

At least Ojutai and his clan can pose better for the camera. These guys are all stiff and like, "Do we really have to do this?"

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
it's cute, they have little horn mantles like atarka does :3:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Atarka's Command should really be the food version of Ashnod's Coupon

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Serperoth posted:

RG
Instant - Rare

Choose two:

This is a sick card.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Huh, so this command cycle will have some costing < 4. Very interesting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lancelot posted:

here's a screencap so you don't have to sit through the community manager attempt to inject inflection into his voice like a real human

Well, there is your new Modern-playable rare. "You mean I can ramp AND dome you for 3 on turn 2? Count me in."

Jesus Christ...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's a really good card.

Your options can be as simple as it being a Skullcrack for RG and that's actually a really good "getcha" pump, putting a land onto the battlefield at instant speed also seems like something they haven't done often outside of land having that ability themselves.

I could see burn maybe running these if R/G Burn becomes more of a thing, don't they play R/W and splash Black and Green for Bump in the Night and utility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

Well, there is your new Modern-playable rare. "You mean I can ramp AND dome you for 3 on turn 2? Count me in."

Jesus Christ...

my friend plays small zoo budget. This card can easily be 5+ dmg on t3.

• Locked thread