Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

This Is only $540 and there is literally zero menu's to dive through. He'll have to get a keyboard to play it but it's a really cool little box for the price, in fact I might just have to pick one up.

Outside of that though the best bet would be a micro/minbrute or bass station 2.

Whoa, hadn't seen that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

A Winner is Jew posted:

This Is only $540 and there is literally zero menu's to dive through. He'll have to get a keyboard to play it but it's a really cool little box for the price, in fact I might just have to pick one up.

That looks tight. If I were in the market for a monosynth atm, it'd be the Grenadier because god drat. It is 1-osc though.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

My friend was over at mine and after playing around with my shruthi xt he decided he wants a mono synth with as many controls accessible on the front panel/needing as little menu digging as possible. I didnt really have anything good to recommend him though, any ideas? his budget would be ideally 500, maybe max 1k but he did wince a little when I asked if he'd go that high.

shruthi xt's aren't on sale anymore, otherwise i'd have built him one.

e: I forgot about the ms-20mini. ha. is there a better option?

If any of you are the DIY type, the Eagle files are still available on the Mutable Instruments GitHub, and the BOM including Digikey and Mouser part numbers can be found here. With a bit of legwork, elbow grease and about $350 you can have your own from-scratch Shruthi XT. The most expensive part would probably be the PCB (there are plenty of single-board batching services out there) and laser cutting for the case (Ponoko looks decent). Perhaps ask Olivier if he's still got some filter kits kicking around, If so you'd only have to worry about the control board. Or you could try ebay.

It's a drat shame they stopped making the XT kits. As far as I can tell there's not much else out there in that price range that's as knobby and can provide so much tonal variety and cool features in a single box.

snorch fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 4, 2015

waneb
Oct 11, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

My friend was over at mine and after playing around with my shruthi xt he decided he wants a mono synth with as many controls accessible on the front panel/needing as little menu digging as possible. I didnt really have anything good to recommend him though, any ideas? his budget would be ideally 500, maybe max 1k but he did wince a little when I asked if he'd go that high.

shruthi xt's aren't on sale anymore, otherwise i'd have built him one.

e: I forgot about the ms-20mini. ha. is there a better option?

There is a group buy thread for the Shruthi XT PCBs here: http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/5999/shruthi-xt-pcb039s-group-buy-

frspp in that thread appears to be shipping the control and filter boards at the moment, and there is another user working on a new case design.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Startyde posted:

That looks tight. If I were in the market for a monosynth atm, it'd be the Grenadier because god drat. It is 1-osc though.

This thing sounds loving lush. Filterbanks are amazing. I'd like that paraphonic jobbie at least $200 more if it had a resonant hp filter in series with the lpf.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Anyone know where to find custom knobs?

I know of:
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/category-s/189.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=189&show=360&page=1
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/Guitar-Effect-Pedal-Knobs-s/25.htm
https://store.djtechtools.com/chroma-caps-knobs-and-faders

I have a midi grid with 64 knobs that I'd like to be able to adjust quickly. I'm almost considering shaving knobs down so they're like flat arrow heads, or if need be, modifying the pots to be faders.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

This Is only $540 and there is literally zero menu's to dive through. He'll have to get a keyboard to play it but it's a really cool little box for the price, in fact I might just have to pick one up...

just bought one :puckout: the sound is really nice; i'm excited to run my 202 (& maybe 303) through its delay. or maybe everything through it's delay. move over Pye Corner Audio...

still gonna buy a centrepiece synth....

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

question is: with an internal delay, does it pass the Sizone Threshold of Effect Usage on Synths?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Hmmmmmm.........

Depends on context.

See, here's the thing, if you need to run your lovely toy bass line toy that has a single oscillator and no modulators through a poo poo ton of external effects just to get some tone out of it, then you're no better than a guitarist, worse in many ways.

If your carefully crafted, geniusly routed synthesizer patch gets the tiny bit of polish it needs to really amaze, rather than just wow, say by a bit of stereo expansion or "rounding of the edges" provided by tasteful use of (preferably internal) effects, then that is a different story.

And, as has been made abundantly clear by my recent foray into littlebits synthesis, and how necessitated the delay bit is because it's all you have, there is a difference between using an "effect" as a synth module (a practice which has precedence all the way back to the spring reverb in the vcs3) and using effects to alter the final sound of a preset.

In the interests of time I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are using the delay in the sense of using it as a module or part of the patch rather than using it as a facade to cover poor synthesis skills and I WILL ALLOW IT.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS K2600 VIDEO TUTORIAL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RUDESS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I VAST DOWN SOME GNARLY ALGOS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS GUITAR CENTER. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY I.T. JOB AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN I.T. CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CAT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I POST

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS K2600 VIDEO TUTORIAL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RUDESS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I VAST DOWN SOME GNARLY ALGOS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS GUITAR CENTER. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY I.T. JOB AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN I.T. CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CAT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I POST

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
5'ed close thread

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yup we've officially peaked. It's downhill from here.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
This is called the "Decay"

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The TC-Helicon days are behind us. These are our synth twilight sparkle years.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sizone posted:

The TC-Helicon days are behind us. These are our synth twilight sparkle years.

It's spelled SparkLE

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Which is actually a really good VA drum machine now that 2.0 came out and made it like a Reaktor lite.

Scatterfold posted:

just bought one :puckout: the sound is really nice; i'm excited to run my 202 (& maybe 303) through its delay. or maybe everything through it's delay. move over Pye Corner Audio...

still gonna buy a centrepiece synth....

Nice.

I've been put on hold to buy anything else by the wife until our trip to Europe is over, but once that's done I have soo much poo poo to buy for both my guitar and synth poo poo.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 5, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Startyde posted:

:golfclap: New thread title right here

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Startyde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMW2XZQCeI

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Hmmm... in my right hand I too have a massive organ.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
knobs are important for doing sounds

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It's actually the buttons that are important, but try telling this thread that.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Startyde posted:

I don't know how many times I've seen this twisted into a new context and it just never gets old.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Littlebits logic expansion kit finally came in today.

I'm now capable of making the same evil noises with, like 300$ worth of magnetic snappy things as I could with 20$ worth of cmos chips, an old microcontroller scavenged from a printer and junk drawer passive components. I...I don't regret my decisions and littlebits are still neat as all hell.

Bonus content: baby playing a Yamaha DD-55 with a spatula

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sizone posted:

It's actually the buttons that are important, but try telling this thread that.

Nope, buttons are The Man keeping you down from true sound. Just patch cables: no buttons, knobs, faders, joysticks, keys etc.. In order for the purity of voltage to be maintained without the intrusion of the profane hands of humans it must be only the sacred voltage passing through the finest boutique cables.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of the man anyone want my moog sub 37 for 1200 bucks

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Verrrrry tempting... do you have any photos?

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard

how loving rad is it

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Dishman posted:

how loving rad is it

well, it has buttons AND knobs so...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Oldstench posted:

well, it has buttons AND knobs so...

Therefore :krad:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
steinberg_forum.jpg:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

stillvisions posted:

Nope, buttons are The Man keeping you down from true sound. Just patch cables: no buttons, knobs, faders, joysticks, keys etc.. In order for the purity of voltage to be maintained without the intrusion of the profane hands of humans it must be only the sacred voltage passing through the finest boutique cables.

We are in complete agreement here. What you are over looking is that you need the buttons to patch digital synths and stuff like matrix-6s.
What you are also missing is the knob/button penis/clitoris gag.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's extremely loving rad

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Sizone posted:

We are in complete agreement here. What you are over looking is that you need the buttons to patch digital synths and stuff like matrix-6s.
What you are also missing is the knob/button penis/clitoris gag.

*analog purist screaming about digital, warmth and why Nyquist is wrong goes here*

Oh, speaking of digital, Mutable Instruments Elements sounds freaking awesome; thankfully all Mutable stuff is a pain to keep in stock so I get to mull that over for a few months before the local shop gets any in stock.

Also today's project was to build a cover for the modular; got tired of having to carry the thing into storage or take out all the patch cables because of cats. A piece of scrap acrylic, an exacto knife and a heat gun, and it's good to go!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

It's extremely loving rad

I'm interested. Why on earth are you selling it?

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
I bought my first synth, it's a minibrute.

What do I do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Mid_Ben posted:

I bought my first synth, it's a minibrute.

What do I do now?

Complain about it.