Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serperoth posted:

Atarka's Command spoiled on Facebook

RG
Instant - Rare

Choose two:
- Your opponents can't gain life this turn
- ~ deals 3 damage to each opponent
- You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield
- Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain reach until end of turn
My first thought is "2 mana instant? I can put it on a stick!" because isochron scepter is one of those cards I always seem to try to slot into my modern decks. This seems drat good for standard though, ramp+damage early game or a great gotcha moment/skullcrack later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

That's a really good card.

Your options can be as simple as it being a Skullcrack for RG and that's actually a really good "getcha" pump, putting a land onto the battlefield at instant speed also seems like something they haven't done often outside of land having that ability themselves.

I could see burn maybe running these if R/G Burn becomes more of a thing, don't they play R/W and splash Black and Green for Bump in the Night and utility?

Lands can't do it themselves, Rosewater has said several times that he's tried to get a land with flash but it has the small problem of just not working in the rules.

The problem with splashing too many colors in burn is that the pain actually gets to you and allows you to be raced by aggressive decks and the mirror.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

tirinal posted:

Megamorph is the most phoned-in new mechanic in recent memory, so I doubt the forethought of it went much beyond "gently caress it, the deadline is tomorrow."

Honestly I feel like this one will shake out to be more interesting than it sounds. The basic concept of morph is that you can essentially flood the board and curve out earlier even with more expensive creatures in your deck, and flip them when it's convenient. Megamorph is basically the opposite, in that you're going to be playing out small/medium creatures as morphs and flipping them to get a bonus. Salt Road Ambushers is a very good example of a creature that you just won't Megamorph a lot of the time, because it will cost the mana to play it face down and then an extra mana to flip it face up, and 4 extra mana and a turn to get a +1/+1 counter on a guy isn't actually that useful a lot of the time.

I get the feeling that we'll just be seeing a lot less morphing, outside of decks looking to take it later.

Elyv posted:

The white, black, and green ones all have watermarks. Still weird that the whole cycle either does or doesn't, though.

Maro has explained that this is usually due to them not wanting off-clan watermarks in intro/duel decks. I think it's a bit weird, and so does everyone else, but it just means we get half-watermarked cycles.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lancelot posted:

here's a screencap so you don't have to sit through the community manager attempt to inject inflection into his voice like a real human

Well, it's cooler then the U/W command at least

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Lands can't do it themselves, Rosewater has said several times that he's tried to get a land with flash but it has the small problem of just not working in the rules.

The problem with splashing too many colors in burn is that the pain actually gets to you and allows you to be raced by aggressive decks and the mirror.

I was more referring to lands that blow themselves up to put lands on the board, like Fetches and Evolving Wilds, but I get you.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Should also feel good in response to a Rhino.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

I was more referring to lands that blow themselves up to put lands on the board, like Fetches and Evolving Wilds, but I get you.

I want to see a functional reprint of Flagstones of Trokair.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So far 2 cards from this set that are shoe in's for Modern play.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I want to see a functional reprint of Flagstones of Trokair.

flagstones of tarkir

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Time to make a RG monsters modern deck

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Time to make a RG monsters modern deck

Why? I think Atarka's Command is a good card, but I don't think it's particularly good in Monsters.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

So far 2 cards from this set that are shoe in's for Modern play.

I'd hesitate to say shoe-ins, but I like having sets where new cards actually make an impact in Eternal formats.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

Why? I think Atarka's Command is a good card, but I don't think it's particularly good in Monsters.

Yeah this is a Zoo card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Yeah this is a Zoo card.

Zoo/burn, I'd say. Zoo probably utilizes it better because it should be pretty easy to get 5-6 damage out of it in Zoo, but burn is happy with untargetted skullcrack + the upside of randomly dealing an extra damage with a swiftspear or whatever if you don't need to stop lifegain and the burn decks already run green anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Narset at 48 bucks on TCGplayer... Sigh.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Narset at 48 bucks on TCGplayer... Sigh.
It's gonna be drat hard to not pick UW for the PR, just because that foil narset is gonna be worth $100+ to some idiot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

It's gonna be drat hard to not pick UW for the PR, just because that foil narset is gonna be worth $100+ to some idiot.

I don't think it will be one of the prerelease promos.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

Zoo/burn, I'd say. Zoo probably utilizes it better because it should be pretty easy to get 5-6 damage out of it in Zoo, but burn is happy with untargetted skullcrack + the upside of randomly dealing an extra damage with a swiftspear or whatever if you don't need to stop lifegain and the burn decks already run green anyway.

The RG slots it into the Ghor-Clan spot, though they do different things. Potential tempo play vs. uncounterable pump.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

The RG slots it into the Ghor-Clan spot, though they do different things. Potential tempo play vs. uncounterable pump.

It actually slots into the Lightening Helix slot I think... And zoo was already playing some number of Skullcracks in the board.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

It actually slots into the Lightening Helix slot I think... And zoo was already playing some number of Skullcracks in the board.

My friend plays small zoo, he runs 4 path 4 bolt 3 helix 2 boros charm. We're going to cut 1 path 2 boros charms for 3 commands, at least that is the initial plan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

My friend plays small zoo, he runs 4 path 4 bolt 3 helix 2 boros charm. We're going to cut 1 path 2 boros charms for 3 commands, at least that is the initial plan.

Boros Charm is bad. Run Tribal Flames instead. Also you can't cut path because it's the only way you can interact with the card Deceiver Exarch.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 5, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I can't wait until someone uses the land mode to unexpectedly turn on Searing Blaze on their opponent's turn. It's gonna happen sometime.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I can't wait until someone uses the land mode to unexpectedly turn on Searing Blaze on their opponent's turn. It's gonna happen sometime.

Landfall only turns on if the land is under your control.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
Atarka's Command is going to do a lot of work in landfall (or equivalent) decks if Return to Zendikar really is the next set or the one after that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

did you read the command?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mcmagic posted:

Yes, and you use the land mode to put a land down.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

forbidden lesbian posted:

did you read the command?

Yeah but it seemed like he was saying the command turned it on for their opponent.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

mcmagic posted:

Right, and Searing Blaze is an instant so what is the confusion here?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Right, and Searing Blaze is an instant so what is the confusion here?

He seemed like he was implying that if someone played the command on their opponents turn that they could be "gotten" by turning on landfall for their opponent.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mcmagic posted:

He seemed like he was implying that if someone played the command on their opponents turn that they could be "gotten" by turning on landfall for their opponent.

Doesn't read that way to me. Reads to me more like they turn on their own Searing Blaze when an opponent rightfully expects Landfall to be a non-issue (absent fetches).

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty clear to me that he was suggesting you use it on your opponent's turn to have landfall active on your Searing Blaze. Kind of like cracking a fetch land to activate landfall, but less predictable.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

He seemed like he was implying that if someone played the Command on their opponent's turn that they would "get" their opponent by having landfall turned on for them.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
wotc post spoilers so we can stop talkin about this card :I

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
:siren: stop replying to mcmagic posts :siren:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
On CFB today Reid Duke said he thinks the new Sidisi might be good enough for Modern.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Attorney at Funk posted:

On CFB today Reid Duke said he thinks the new Sidisi might be good enough for Modern.
that would be cool. in what, junk?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Lancelot posted:

that would be cool. in what, junk?

Yeah he suggested it as a one-of in one of the G/B decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

If there is a good standard deck that features cards like Black Cat, Disciple of Phenax and the new Sidisi, I will eat my hat. I'm sure Reid Duke would kick my rear end with that pile of Jank though...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 5, 2015

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I have been monitoring Crucible of the Spirit Dragon since the spoilers and I have noticed a very steady increase in demand and a slight increase in price. Am I missing something that makes this card more desirable besides all the dragons in Dragons of Takir? I am somewhat a new player again (Just started again after a 10+ year break) but the only real use I can see for this card is to keep storing mana when you have nothing to cast while waiting for a dragon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sirbloody posted:

I have been monitoring Crucible of the Spirit Dragon since the spoilers and I have noticed a very steady increase in demand and a slight increase in price. Am I missing something that makes this card more desirable besides all the dragons in Dragons of Takir? I am somewhat a new player again (Just started again after a 10+ year break) but the only real use I can see for this card is to keep storing mana when you have nothing to cast while waiting for a dragon?

It's for commander and kitchen table.

• Locked thread