Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ErIog posted:

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that literacy tests were racist like the modern SAT is racist. That wasn't the case. The tests were literally impossible to pass, and whether not to give one was up to the discretion of poll workers. They also had "grandfather" provisions that were literally, "if your grandfather was able to vote then you don't have to take the literacy test." The end result is that white people were never given the tests, and if they were ever given the tests then the person administering the test would give them the answers.

White people were never "capable of getting at least a mediocre education to finish the things." The tests had specifically ambiguous wording so that whichever answer a person wrote could be deemed wrong. There was never any rigor or knowledge being tested. The entire system was a sham, and everybody knew it.

Oh, I know. I guess I'm not stating the obvious things which is also what Dr. Pepper and Toxic Slurpee were highlighting. People not in this thread are saying that literacy tests are needed when in theory they are discriminatory and in practice they are discriminatory...AS HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

I wonder what "Proper Americans" (Read typically white conservatives) are most afraid about :

1) That when they're no longer in the majority the new majority will do to them what they did

2) That the new majority won't and will thus show that they're better.

Of course if it was 2 I'm sure they'll just claim it didn't happen because 'We helped them see the right way.'

You could have stopped at "they're not longer the majority." That's it, really. They're losing power and it's terrifying because they won't get to control everything and create second class citizens to exploit for cheap labor. White people being rounded up into death panel camps isn't going to happen and they already have all the money so all they're really standing to lose is power.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Doctor Butts posted:

I really don't get the push back against standardized testing because it has been going on since I was at least in 8th grade. Teachers in certain subjects would take like a week or two to go over the poo poo for the tests. When I hear this PARCC poo poo I don't get what the fuss is about.

Standardized tests today are far different than in the past. My mother taught elementary school for quite a while, and she says back in the nineties she could have read all the tests in the afternoon if she wanted to. There was no security because they weren't so important. Likewise, they didn't spend huge amounts of time on them. It was a side thing you did for a week in spring. Now, everything is about testing because test results determine funding, and it forces people to teach the shallowest forms of learning all year long in order to prepare for the test. My favorite example was when I saw students being prepared for the HSAP (exam first given in 10th grade that everyone has to eventually pass to graduate) math portion, and they were teaching how to find the equation of a line from two points. This is a very important skill in Algebra, but here's what they were taught: Type the points into your calculator and choose "linear regression." That's an effective technique and it makes sense to me as a mathematician, but it requires no knowledge of Algebra at all. Similarly, you can "solve" algebraic equations by choosing the multiple choice answers and plugging them it (and with a calculator, you don't even have to know how to do that, since you can just store the values). The overemphasis on testing forcing teaching to get watered down and simplified at the expense of actual learning.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It seems like a good way to turn struggling students into the 'enemy' of the teachers which could create all sorts of perverse incentives. If you've got a student who has broken a rule, let's say he accidentally brought a book of matches to school in his pocket after a weekend camping trip, will it affect the punishment if he's a high or low scorer on the tests? You don't want to punish someone who's pulling your scores up, and if there isn't a significant penalty for expelled students, maybe it'd help the school if this one kid got left behind.

There have been plenty of stories about poor students being transferred to other districts to avoid pulling down scores and other various shenanigans.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It seems like a good way to turn struggling students into the 'enemy' of the teachers which could create all sorts of perverse incentives. If you've got a student who has broken a rule, let's say he accidentally brought a book of matches to school in his pocket after a weekend camping trip, will it affect the punishment if he's a high or low scorer on the tests? You don't want to punish someone who's pulling your scores up, and if there isn't a significant penalty for expelled students, maybe it'd help the school if this one kid got left behind.

That's pretty much how it played out back when I was in high school ~15 years ago. If you were a A student you walked on water and they made sure you were fully prepared and ready for that magical test taking. If you were a D student and they could find a way to get you out of class for test week, well just think of it like an extra spring break because you won't be missing any class work! But I always thought that a lot of high school teachers ended up being pretty clique-centric in one way or another anyway, this just gave them extra incentive to do what was already coming naturally.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My local school district (and more recently, other districts around the state) has been going through a long, drawn out scandal for years over exactly this sort of thing, with criminal charges having been recently filed against the former superintendent ("dereliction of duty" for "failing to investigate" but there is every reason to believe she was fully aware of and supported the data scrubbing).

http://www.dispatch.com/content/topic/special-reports/2012/counting-kids-out.html posted:

The Allegation
Columbus City Schools employees - and perhaps others in schools throughout the state - are accused of falsifying students' records to improve their schools' standing on state report cards.

The Method
School workers withdrew students they knew to be still enrolled, deleted their absences, and then re-enrolled them. The district is accused of choosing children with many absences or low test scores.

The Motive
By withdrawing and re-enrolling students, employees can break a student's string of "continuous enrollment." Only the test scores of students who have been enrolled nonstop from October through the time they take state tests in the spring are counted in a school's overall test-passing rate.

Hormples
May 3, 2002

ARRGHH!!
MY BONES!!

This stuff cropped up on my feed, all from the same dude.

Hrm, yes, it must be the illegals siphoning off the veteran benefits.

Sounds like a good way to get shot tbh.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cool I can get behind this, so when are the national Stop Blaming Black People and Stop Blaming Muslims and Stop Blaming Hispanics months?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Cool I can get behind this, so when are the national Stop Blaming Black People and Stop Blaming Muslims and Stop Blaming Hispanics months?

All "Stop Blaming Minorities" holidays have been combined, and are celebrated on February 29th in odd-numbered years.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Jurgan posted:

test results determine funding
What a sound policy. Allocate resources where they're least needed.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

S-U-P-E-R posted:

Is this the same Chicago that's been going through a crime stats juking scandal for the past year or is it some other Chicago?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Spatial posted:

What a sound policy. Allocate resources where they're least needed.

Bah, stop making excuses! Those poor schools just need more motivation to turn things around!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jurgan posted:

Bah, stop making excuses! Those poor schools just need more motivation to turn things around!

Maybe we can have the students from the poor schools mop the floors at rich schools to get some extra tuition money.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe we can have the students from the poor schools mop the floors at rich schools to get some extra tuition money.

That sounds like communism.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"Listen Kevin, you can either do my part of the project or my accuracy at the urinal is going to drop dramatically."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Picturing this actually happening was upsetting, but worryingly not very difficult.

Which makes me consider all the social bullshit I'm either jaded to or blind to.

:yum:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I'm pretty sure Newt Gingrich proposed that in 2012.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I'm pretty sure Newt Gingrich proposed that in 2012.

He did. And his audience loved it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Even worse I believe he suggest schoolchildren do this, the sins of the father I suppose!.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Can you imagine being the one to have to explain to these kids why they're doing that? To look into a kid's eyes and tell them this is for their own good, that they're empowering themselves through education while they're bent over a mop bucket at a mollycoddled magnet school?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

S-U-P-E-R posted:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/14/despite-recent-shootings-chicago-nowhere-near-u-s-murder-capital/

http://heyjackass.com/category/2014-chicago-crime-murder-stats/

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
The correct response is clearly:

"I've checked your facts and found them to be without merit."

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I think a Zionist friend just favorably compared Israel to Sparta.

It may be a better comparison than they realize http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helots

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

TerminalSaint posted:

I think a Zionist friend just favorably compared Israel to Sparta.

It may be a better comparison than they realize http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helots

Gonna enjoy watching you lose to the Persians, motherfuckers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Can you imagine being the one to have to explain to these kids why they're doing that? To look into a kid's eyes and tell them this is for their own good, that they're empowering themselves through education while they're bent over a mop bucket at a mollycoddled magnet school?
Sounds like a good way to start a class war. Newt is an accelerationist.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Gonna enjoy watching you lose to the Persians, motherfuckers.
:drat:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zoroaster Was Right

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I was having lunch with some of my colleagues the other day and one of them announces that he sure as hell isn't voting for "Who Cares Hillary." So I asked him if he was referencing the "what difference does it make" thing and of course he was, admitting he had forgotten the exact quote.

I asked him if he even knew the question she was answering when she spoke the famous words and, of course, he didn't. When I recounted it for him, demonstrating that she was not callously saying that the deaths of her diplomats and CIA colleagues didn't matter and in fact literally said the opposite, he suddenly became really insistent that it's absolutely critical to know whether there was a protest leading up to the attack, that having this information would have changed history as we know it and it was woefully irresponsible of the Secretary of State to not have been aware of it.

It was a frustrating discussion, but I like to think he realized how ignorant he looked, or at least that our other colleagues did.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You could have stopped at "they're not longer the majority." That's it, really. They're losing power and it's terrifying because they won't get to control everything and create second class citizens to exploit for cheap labor. White people being rounded up into death panel camps isn't going to happen and they already have all the money so all they're really standing to lose is power.

Oh I know that's what they're afraid of, but what aspect of it are they more afraid of?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Taerkar posted:

Oh I know that's what they're afraid of, but what aspect of it are they more afraid of?

It's just the whole idea in general that scares them. A primal lizard like fear.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodnose posted:

I was having lunch with some of my colleagues the other day and one of them announces that he sure as hell isn't voting for "Who Cares Hillary." So I asked him if he was referencing the "what difference does it make" thing and of course he was, admitting he had forgotten the exact quote.

I asked him if he even knew the question she was answering when she spoke the famous words and, of course, he didn't. When I recounted it for him, demonstrating that she was not callously saying that the deaths of her diplomats and CIA colleagues didn't matter and in fact literally said the opposite, he suddenly became really insistent that it's absolutely critical to know whether there was a protest leading up to the attack, that having this information would have changed history as we know it and it was woefully irresponsible of the Secretary of State to not have been aware of it.

It was a frustrating discussion, but I like to think he realized how ignorant he looked, or at least that our other colleagues did.

Yes, there were. This prompted an employee to write an "apology"on the website which prompted some "OMG Obama apologizes for our right to free speech!!" comics and legitimate concerns

Duh

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 6, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

The lack of total control is the thing that scares them the most.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Duke Igthorn posted:

Yes, there were. This prompted an employee to write an "apology"on the website which prompted some "OMG Obama apologizes for our right to free speech!!" comics and legitimate concerns

The State Department tweets were in response to a demonstration in Egypt, not Libya.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brawnfire posted:

I teach in Asia where the kids do have to do that. You know what it leads to, in my case? A dirty-rear end school and kids who hate cleaning.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

I teach in Asia where the kids do have to do that. You know what it leads to, in my case? A dirty-rear end school and kids who hate cleaning.

Heart: Broken.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

On the schools/testing talk, my mom currently works as the registrar/data clerk at one of the county middle schools. Part of registering a new student includes verifying that they are actually in the school's district. More than once she's had someone come to register their kid who was actually in the city school district but had been told by the city schools that they weren't because the kid didn't have good test scores and grades and they wanted to shove the kid off on the county.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The way schools are districted is one of the most disgusting things about the United States.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

The way schools are districted is one of the most disgusting things about the United States.

Well look now, son, if they didn't want substandard schools they shouldn't have been born poor!

I have been seeing a ton of loving Choose Life billboards all over AZ lately. They started right after the Superbowl.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have been seeing a ton of loving Choose Life billboards all over AZ lately. They started right after the Superbowl.
Maybe they were supposed to be delivered to Seattle.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe they were supposed to be delivered to Seattle.

:wow:

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Well look now, son, if they didn't want substandard schools they shouldn't have been born poor!

Ugh those are loving terrible. Sure, billboard, fetal heartbeats start 18 days after conception :bahgawd:

As a person whose wife is currently pregnant, I would never force that upon someone in a million years. Pregnancies are loving rough, and I'm sure it would be even worse if you don't even want the kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I was reading the news today. ABC had a story about this Salvation Army South Africa ad:

I absentmindedly scrolled down the page, not realizing what was about to happen.

:negative: