Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

you see, it is alright because they allow ethiopians to play in the army band.

equality!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Also I will never not find it hilarious how Israel's the most ironic state irt to its treatment of those it deems 'lesser'.

Like lol dudes, your nation was literally founded b/c of the holocaust.

WELP! Time to go invite suffering on others based on ethnoreligious grounds!!!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gravel Gravy posted:

Hey guys I have been hearing reports of a genocide of black Jews. Does anyone care to comment?

An NGO tasked with assisting Ethiopian Jews before their immigration to Israel had some of its doctors either force or mislead women about the necessity/health risks of using Depo Provera, a common long-term birth control therapy.

There was a big outcry about it, and suggestions of a wide-ranged conspiracy, after which a high official in the Israeli Health Ministry clarified to doctors that they really, really need to make sure that their patients know what they're taking and why before they prescribe refills.

This has become "Israel is literally genociding black Jews" in the eyes of low-information anti-Israelis.

That's it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That sounds a lot like genociding black jews, tho.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

No see it was just a small mixup because Israel can do no wrong, apparently.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OH no it was an NGO. Welp, investigation over.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nutranurse posted:

Also I will never not find it hilarious how Israel's the most ironic state irt to its treatment of those it deems 'lesser'.

Like lol dudes, your nation was literally founded b/c of the holocaust.

WELP! Time to go invite suffering on others based on ethnoreligious grounds!!!

It's not ironic if you think that the problem Jews had is that they weren't organized enough, well-armed enough, or had a territory to call their own, which is what Zionists thought the real Jewish problem was. Part of being highest on the totem pole is getting to poo poo on people below you.

By the way, I don't want to suggest that Ethiopian Jews don't suffer absurd amounts of official and popular discrimination in Israel. There's been several lockouts at a long-term Immigrant Center down South of the country due to their conditions, exorbitant fees, and lack of prospects. They're underrepresented pretty much anywhere other than the lowest rungs of employment (if they are employed), and recently suffer the risk of being confused for those damned Sudanese Eritrean Muslim Christians out to kill whitey and being attacked by mobs for it.

But those are actually verifiable claims that don't seem monstrous enough for some people, so you hear less of that and more "genocide :byodood:".

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

why do you hate me so much
because you post bad

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

some of its doctors either force or mislead women about the necessity/health risks of using Depo Provera

Oh the irony.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Mute posted:

because you post bad

to each according to his abilities my friend

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Absurd Alhazred posted:

...genocide :byodood:..

Well this is all the confirmation I need, thanks.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

An NGO tasked with assisting Ethiopian Jews before their immigration to Israel had some of its doctors either force or mislead women about the necessity/health risks of using Depo Provera, a common long-term birth control therapy.

There was a big outcry about it, and suggestions of a wide-ranged conspiracy, after which a high official in the Israeli Health Ministry clarified to doctors that they really, really need to make sure that their patients know what they're taking and why before they prescribe refills.

This has become "Israel is literally genociding black Jews" in the eyes of low-information anti-Israelis.

That's it.

what about forcing ethiopians into the whole "prove you are really a jew via this battery of degrading tests" rigmarole

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

euphronius posted:

that's cause it sorta is

seriously though it's a super hosed up thing to do, especially since it destroys the trust people have for doctors/healthcare/vaccinations/etc

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

Hey guys I have been hearing reports of a genocide of black Jews. Does anyone care to comment?

Guess who did it? Israel

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not ironic if you think that the problem Jews had is that they weren't organized enough, well-armed enough, or had a territory to call their own, which is what Zionists thought the real Jewish problem was. Part of being highest on the totem pole is getting to poo poo on people below you.

By the way, I don't want to suggest that Ethiopian Jews don't suffer absurd amounts of official and popular discrimination in Israel. There's been several lockouts at a long-term Immigrant Center down South of the country due to their conditions, exorbitant fees, and lack of prospects. They're underrepresented pretty much anywhere other than the lowest rungs of employment (if they are employed), and recently suffer the risk of being confused for those damned Sudanese Eritrean Muslim Christians out to kill whitey and being attacked by mobs for it.

But those are actually verifiable claims that don't seem monstrous enough for some people, so you hear less of that and more "genocide :byodood:".

I like how you can admit that a general culture of bigotry and hatred exists and is directed towards Israel's Ethiopian Jews, and yet find it impossible to think that some Israelis would take Israel's usual brand of hatred and elevate it to literal nazi levels of abuse.

You don't get to make a society based on a racial/religious hierarchy and expect that everyone will be treated equally and/or at all as human beings! Israel's definitely made 0 strides in amending its literal white nationalist ways, man. And it's a loving shame considering what spurred Israel into creation, but, eh, humans are real short sighted when it comes to race/religious hatreds.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

but forced sterilisation is pretty bad and monstrous, absurd

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Guess who did it? Israel

:monocle:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

if I recall, AA is and has been pretty critical of Israel on plenty of other things, so I'm inclined to at least accept they weren't genociding black jews intentionally and en masse.

also please leave IP out of chat thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just a tiny bit of genocide.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

nutranurse posted:

I dunno what you could argue for that would make Israel look good for that time they forced birth control and other sterilization methods onto their black immigrants exclusively, Absurd. Israel's an apartheid state, just own up to it! You'll be forced to within the next few decades!

Are people really asserting that Israel isn't an apartheid state in this forum?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

R. Mute posted:

because you post bad

:ironicat:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

Enough to season but not to rub.

Just a bay leaf of genocide.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Tewodros Was Right

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fade5 posted:

that's cause it sorta is

It is not at all.

quote:

seriously though it's a super hosed up thing to do, especially since it destroys the trust people have for doctors/healthcare/vaccinations/etc

Yeah, it is a breach of medical ethics and endangers public health. It is a bad thing. It's not genocide. I'm not letting people get away with misusing words for shock value, sorry.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

euphronius posted:

as far as genocides go, mandatory but non-permanent birth control is the slow boat you have to admit.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Are people really asserting that Israel isn't an apartheid state in this forum?

Only an Israeli which, tbh, is fair. It's like, what else would you expect? How do you think your regular ol' German living in Nazi Germany would've rationalized all the poo poo they're doing?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nutranurse posted:

I like how you can admit that a general culture of bigotry and hatred exists and is directed towards Israel's Ethiopian Jews, and yet find it impossible to think that some Israelis would take Israel's usual brand of hatred and elevate it to literal nazi levels of abuse.

It's not impossible. It simply is not the case. It's not a lack of imagination on my part, it's a lack of evidence on the part of the detractors. I refuse to believe things just because "well, it's possible, and Israel bad, so I will believe and defend it". It kills one's credibility.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It is not at all.

Yeah, it is a breach of medical ethics and endangers public health. It is a bad thing. It's not genocide. I'm not letting people get away with misusing words for shock value, sorry.
what do you call a breach of medical ethics and the endangerment of the public health of a specific ethnic group?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

but forced sterilisation is pretty bad and monstrous, absurd

I agree. That did not happen though, like, at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of act I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["genocide"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the act of Israelis involved in this case is not that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

what do you call a breach of medical ethics and the endangerment of the public health of a specific ethnic group?

I call it racist. I don't call it "genocide" because as a Belgian, you should know that has a very specific meaning.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

does isreal force cutting of pony tails, if no why not

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not impossible. It simply is not the case. It's not a lack of imagination on my part, it's a lack of evidence on the part of the detractors. I refuse to believe things just because "well, it's possible, and Israel bad, so I will believe and defend it". It kills one's credibility.

What about the testimonies of 35 ethiopian women who were forcibly treated with birthcontrol and not at all given an explanation of the risks or even its purpose? You don't need imagination when you've got the actual victims standing right in front of you talking about it!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
hey absurd how do you feel about the Palestinian Genocide?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

nutranurse posted:

Only an Israeli which, tbh, is fair. It's like, what else would you expect? How do you think your regular ol' German living in Nazi Germany would've rationalized all the poo poo they're doing?

I thought the rationalization for the German people was that they didn't know it was going on? I don't know really. But hey, who am I to judge, we threw the Japanese in Internment camps so how much better than Israel are we?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

forbidden lesbian posted:

hey absurd how do you feel about the Palestinian Genocide?

well you see its all a big misunderstanding nothing to see here

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReidRansom posted:

if I recall, AA is and has been pretty critical of Israel on plenty of other things, so I'm inclined to at least accept they weren't genociding black jews intentionally and en masse.

also please leave IP out of chat thread

Yeah, please. I'm going to stop now on my side of things. Sorry for contributing to yet another derail in the Chat Thread that is supposed to be about making fun of MIGF. :smith:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I thought the rationalization for the German people was that they didn't know it was going on?

Yeah that's pretty discredited. But there's a difference between knowing the exact details, of course, and knowing bad poo poo is going down.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

you cant derail a chat thread this poo poo is off-road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I thought the rationalization for the German people was that they didn't know it was going on? I don't know really. But hey, who am I to judge, we threw the Japanese in Internment camps so how much better than Israel are we?

Well I'm a black american so I'm more or less de facto morally superior due to generational suffering, so I'm absolved of that guilt!

But yeah, that japanese interment thing was pretty... not good. I still can't believe it happened and am kind of upset it's not something brought up more often, alongside the slew of other atrocities America's committed against its nonwhite citizens. :shrug:

• Locked thread