Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everyone, please follow Aida's example and workout, to be healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
If only we could say positive things about her piloting too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hey, she hit something lately! Sure it was a beam shield but that still counts.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
I have a small question, Where did the Suit which Manny offered Mask came from? Did the crew steal that for G IT labs too?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sunburnedcrow posted:

I have a small question, Where did the Suit which Manny offered Mask came from? Did the crew steal that for G IT labs too?

The new suits were seemingly provided by the Venus Globe Hermes Foundation guys to go after the Full Moon Ship. Same with the Perfect Pack.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

So the one Manny stole is basically new? I was trying to remember it from the last episode but there are just so many loving robots I probably can't even match half of them to a name.

Also:

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, you have no idea how hyped I am for the G-Lucifer remaining a hero suit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gils posted:

So the one Manny stole is basically new? I was trying to remember it from the last episode but there are just so many loving robots I probably can't even match half of them to a name.

Also:

It was a new unit, yeah. So was Kerbes' unit. (Fare thee well, Recsnow.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

It was a new unit, yeah. So was Kerbes' unit. (Fare thee well, Recsnow.)

I'm surprised the Recten/Recsnow still hasn't gotten a kit announced. Even the Cait Sith has one coming.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically, the Megafauna crew took a look at that G-IT Labs hangar they captured and went 'yeah, we'll take all of that, thanks'. They still have a couple of suits waiting in the wings, like that tiny tripod version of the G-Lucifer and that big fat atmospheric re-entry machine.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Ka0 posted:

If only we could say positive things about her piloting too.

Perhaps the traditional piloting method with the control panels are holding her back. I think a system that traces her physical mobility would do wonders for her piloting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Level Slide posted:

Perhaps the traditional piloting method with the control panels are holding her back. I think a system that traces her physical mobility would do wonders for her piloting.

Are you suggesting that she should acquire the No-Bell Gundam? Ouch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ryas posted:

Like she said, she's putting on a strong front. Seeing him take off his wig and reveal his sunken head caught her off-guard and shocked her, but she realized what he had meant by "bodysuits" and was preparing herself mentally. Even then, you can see her arms tense up as he's undressing, showing her discomfort despite her unchanging expression. Not to mention the music during that scene was fantastic at setting the mood, it was a really good scene I feel.

I get what the show was going for - I just don't think that's a good way to portray her reaction personally. If she knows nothing about body suits, there's really no reason that just revealing he's wearing a wig is going to tip her as to what one is. Even if she was getting some inkling of what they are from it though, it really shouldn't have been enough to prepare her for the reality of the situation - because that is a really hosed up thing she just saw. Especially for someone from a less technologically advanced society like Aida was mostly raised in (Capital Territory are the only ones with the tower or anything nearly as advanced beyond mobile suits and ships apparently). And especially for someone as emotionally open as Aida normally is. And no, I don't think La Gu challenging her emotional maturity is going to change what her core reaction is before anyone points out that she's just acting in front of him.

Having her react with shock to the sight of a deformed body doesn't make her weak, because strength is in facing up to the things that make you uncomfortable, not being kind of blase to them. Which she already does anyway, making the choice to have her react with shock to the wig and then discomfort to the body suit all the weirder to me.
It's a really minor thing and I wouldn't have even really thought of it if I hadn't seen that post, but I just can't find the sequence all that well put together when I think about it personally, because the reactions are so out of order and odd to me.

I'm also kind of sad that Venus Globe is behind us now, because I think Tomino came up with some cool concepts for it between their technology and society and there was really no time to explore them. During the last episode I was wondering why La Gu and the G-IT pilot with the weird purple hair were so over the top in their styling, but it makes a lot more sense when you find out that some (maybe most?) Venusians are physically decrepit and dependent on an external body suit to maintain any kind of physical health. Having them wear elaborate wigs, make up and other external accoutraments to mask their frailty and make themselves feel better about is a really cool bit of design and makes me wonder whether the girl always doing push ups is doing them to stave off physical frailty or to cover it up too. Is she doing them in a body suit? Is the pink haired girl so concerned about her make up because of it? And so on.

That's kind of G-Reco all over though. Cool concepts that just aren't given enough time to really be explored properly. Humanity being a few tiny clusters all dependent on a life-line from outer space, a religion centered on the worship of tangible objects like the tower and the Kashiba Mikoshi and so on are all kind of left by the wayside without really exploring them so that we can move on to the next thing as quick as possible. I've seen people saying that Tomino only got 26 episodes because that's all he wanted, not because it was an order from higher up - and that he only wanted 26 because he didn't think he could really deal with more at his age. Which is a crying shame if true. Completely understandable, but still a shame, because if he'd gotten someone to help him direct the show at a full 50 episodes or something I really think the show could have been a lot better than it's turning out in my opinion.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 1, 2015

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

About La Gu:
I don't think everybody in Venus Globe wears a body suits. He's loving 200 years old. While they can keep somebody alive for that long, their body wastes away. The lady that hit her head while welcoming the Megafauna crew last episode had a dress with low neckline, making covering a bodysuit impossible. There also don't seem to be any bodysuits in Towasanga, even though they should have the same problems as Venus Globe.

-e-
The people in the house Bellri hid behind were also fine.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 1, 2015

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

tsob posted:

And especially for someone as emotionally open as Aida normally is. And no, I don't think La Gu challenging her emotional maturity is going to change what her core reaction is before anyone points out that she's just acting in front of him.

This is where I disagree. Aida's only had a few moments where she openly broke down in front of someone else. Most times when something evokes a strong emotion from her, she lets it out in private. She puts on a strong front in order to hide how weak she really is. This has been her core character from episode one, and this applies to this scene as well. Heck, they even talk about it right there. As a politician, Aida must keep a strong face when she's in public, she understands this and has demonstrated it repeatedly throughout the show. She's not blase about La Gu's condition. She's absolutely horrified and you can even see her eyes beginning to water when she looks down at La Gu's emaciated legs, before she manages to put her game face back on, she just doesn't let it out until she's on the trip back to Earth, where she lets out the tears she wanted to cry when she first saw the state of La Gu's body.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ryas posted:

This is where I disagree. Aida's only had a few moments where she openly broke down in front of someone else. Most times when something evokes a strong emotion from her, she lets it out in private. She puts on a strong front in order to hide how weak she really is. This has been her core character from episode one, and this applies to this scene as well. Heck, they even talk about it right there. As a politician, Aida must keep a strong face when she's in public, she understands this and has demonstrated it repeatedly throughout the show. She's not blase about La Gu's condition. She's absolutely horrified and you can even see her eyes beginning to water when she looks down at La Gu's emaciated legs, before she manages to put her game face back on, she just doesn't let it out until she's on the trip back to Earth, where she lets out the tears she wanted to cry when she first saw the state of La Gu's body.

She immediately went and played squash just to remind herself that even though she was from space, she was still healthy and still a regular human. Seeing la gu messed her up pretty bad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope Chuchummy is in the next episode. He's my favorite character.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gyobu got too excited because the Mack Knife kit starts shipping tomorrow that he designed a new Mack Knife, Covert Forces Edition.

With shield booster!

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Is that a Wolf Shirt emblem?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Are you suggesting that she should acquire the No-Bell Gundam? Ouch.

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

She'd work better in a Gunbuster imo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Let's be honest, it ain't easy to fault Rockpie's taste.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

i wish i was rockpie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NotALizardman posted:

i wish i was rockpie

Ashes in space?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

yeah :downs:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some bits of character animation stood out more than usual this week, so that was cool. I'm glad that Raraiya was able to goof around with Noredo again.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

:smith:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everybody is going to die.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think my favorite little bit was the little flashes of the pilot photos as they scrolled up the people on the deck of the ship. Yet again, makes me want a squad tactics gundam game.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Everybody is going to die.

I'm still holding out for my happy ending.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Why did the death of that random guy screw Bellri up so much? Was he really the first ally of Bellri to eat it?

I've largely given up on really getting what everyone is fighting about, what they want to accomplish, and who's on whose side, but I'd at least like to be able to get the basics of the main characters' stories.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Why did the death of that random guy screw Bellri up so much? Was he really the first ally of Bellri to eat it?

I've largely given up on really getting what everyone is fighting about, what they want to accomplish, and who's on whose side, but I'd at least like to be able to get the basics of the main characters' stories.

It's not hard at this point.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bell was upset because the guy he was trying to babysit got iced, after he tried to get him back away from the front.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's not an unreasonable way to react, but it seems odd and overwrought coming from episode 23 Bellri. They made such a big deal about how all these schmucks didn't know how awful war was, and then Bell goes and reacts like it's his first rodeo. Also, what the hell was with the gibbering fools "going toward the light?" That was really weird.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There's less factions at play now then there were before, because now it's just the Capital Army and the Dorette Fleet and the Amerian Army in a 3 way battle around earth.

The Megafauna is ostensibly still attached to the amerian fleet but is really under aida's command now. The GIT team is allying with the Capital Army. They're the only real outliers now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's not an unreasonable way to react, but it seems odd and overwrought coming from episode 23 Bellri. They made such a big deal about how all these schmucks didn't know how awful war was, and then Bell goes and reacts like it's his first rodeo. Also, what the hell was with the gibbering fools "going toward the light?" That was really weird.

Bellri was also upset cause he's realizing his machine is incredibly good at killing things when he really doesn't want to be doing that. The bit about light is really simple allegory for how easy it is to get caught up in conflict.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was a bit clunky but worked just fine, I think.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

There's less factions at play now then there were before, because now it's just the Capital Army and the Dorette Fleet and the Amerian Army in a 3 way battle around earth.

The Megafauna is ostensibly still attached to the amerian fleet but is really under aida's command now. The GIT team is allying with the Capital Army. They're the only real outliers now.

I get that stuff, but I don't necessarily know who is with what team until they start shooting/taking orders from someone I properly recognize. I also don't know which ship is which, by name or sight. Until this episode, I thought of the Full Moon and the Crescent interchangeably. And forget the suits beyond the major ones.

e: There's also various Venusian forces that are taking sides, and I have no clue who they are or which sides.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I get that stuff, but I don't necessarily know who is with what team until they start shooting/taking orders from someone I properly recognize. I also don't know which ship is which, by name or sight. Until this episode, I thought of the Full Moon and the Crescent interchangeably. And forget the suits beyond the major ones.

There's a lot but most of them share their own factional design aesthetics. The megafauna is a real hodgepodge but the Amerians only have the Montero/Grimoire/Jahannam/Hecate and the Capital army use the Mack Knifes and Wuxias. The Dorette fleet is only fielding the Moran and El-Morans now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also the only venusians still in the picture right now are the GIT team, who are allying with the Capital Army.

• Locked thread