Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Jesus Christ what is happening.

Guys, I don't want to backseat mod but this thread's getting real weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dattserberg posted:

Really wondering how FSU's QB situation is going to play out going into next season. We should all discuss this or your own school's QB situation. Like, let's do this immediately, all of us.

Whoever starts for us next year will promptly lose his job to Malik Henry.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dattserberg posted:

Really wondering how FSU's QB situation is going to play out going into next season. We should all discuss this or your own school's QB situation. Like, let's do this immediately, all of us.

Thanks to Harbaugh, Michigan suddenly has a flood of quarterbacks. It's going to be a real fight for the starting spot. Freshmen Wilton Speight or Alex Malzone may end up starting over junior Shane Morris, who has a lot of work to do to be a credible alternative.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Girls are gross, post sweaty mens.

Pro Day pics:

Adam "Slow-Mo" Humphries managed to pull a 4.49 40 somehow.

And a throwback pic for good measure from 1969.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 5, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dattserberg posted:

I'm honestly super excited about BG's situation at QB this year. Matt Johnson will have his last year coming back from that hip injury, and James Kanapke wasn't spectacular last year but he got thrown into the fire when Johnson went down and held the fort pretty drat well (280 completions, 483 attempts, 3173 yds, 15 TD, 12 INT) considering the hand he was dealt, and being a freshman. We also have Clayton Nicholas now available at QB after transferring in from Texas Tech. BG is not loaded in a lot of areas but they are super deep (for the MAC, anyway) at QB and WR right now and that should make the next few years really entertaining.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 5, 2015

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Jesus Christ what is happening.

Actually,

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

This needs a gif where it just slowly magnifies until your screen is nothing but his face.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dattserberg posted:

Jeremy Johnson to Duke Williams is gonna own fools. A few people are trying to sell Sean White as a legit challenge for the job but my impression is that he's just playing the role -- perfectly competent backup that they're gonna talk him up in the spring to push the frontrunner who was never really in doubt.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Ohio State has three of the best four quarterbacks in the Big Ten or possibly the top three depending on how high on Connor Cook you are. After Cook the next best quarterback is unquestionably Christian Hackenberg and the rest of the Big Ten's quarterbacks are probably NSFW.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Ohio State has three of the best four quarterbacks in the Big Ten or possibly the top three depending on how high on Connor Cook you are. After Cook the next best quarterback is unquestionably Christian Hackenberg and the rest of the Big Ten's quarterbacks are probably NSFW.

Christian Hackenberg was complete garbage last year, there were a bunch of guys better than him. Anyone who still thinks he is good hasn't watched him since his freshman year. It's possible and maybe even probable that his line just wrecked him but he was horrible.

I've said this a bunch of the times but the third best QB in the conference who actually played any meaningful time was Gary Nova.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Dattserberg posted:

Braxton Miller - owns
J.T. Barrett - Owns
Cardale Jones - OWNS

Stephen Collier, Joe Burrow, Torrance Gibson - haven't played in college but probably own.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Dattserberg posted:

Michigan has like 6 guys going for the job, so...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dattserberg posted:

Arizona's got this Anu Solomon. He's definitely not the classic 'RichRod QB' but he's good. Threw for 3,700 yards and 28TDs to 9INTs. He faded down the stretch a bit, though, and ended up completing 58% of his passes. I imagine he'll improve in his sophomore season, perhaps both as a passer and a runner.

As for the rest of the Pac-12 South....

ASU and UCLA have to deal with new QBs. I think ASU's Mike Berkovici is mostly a known quantity at this point, having stepped in for Taylor Kelly when he got injured, and then after Kelly got benched in the Territorial Cup game. UCLA's Jerry Neuheisel (Rick's son, naturally) was UCLA's hero against Texas when Brett Hundley was hurt. He's probably going to start next season, but who knows.

USC has Cody Kessler, who put up some good numbers. 3,900 yards and 39TDs to 5INTs. Utah has Travis Wilson who will probably get hurt at some point in time. Colorado has Sefo Liufao. He's okay I guess? I dunno, the entire team is a dumpster fire.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Connor Cook is cool and good and it's been fun watching him steadily improve over the seasons.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Every good QB in QB Texas A&M's history looks goofy as poo poo

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina is definitely in for a heated quarterback battle that will no doubt extend into fall practice. Due to the defense being historically bad last year, garbage time pretty much didn't exist and we weren't able to get any of our backups meaningful experience behind Dylan Thompson. Connor Mitch is the natural heir apparent since he's the most talented QB on the roster, but there's ~*rumblings*~ that his work ethic is terrible, so who knows. After him, we've got a couple of walk-ons and Brendan Nosovitch, who was actually moved to TE last year to get some more playing time and almost transferred before getting shifted back to QB. He's got more game experience than anyone else, but kind of seems like a one-note Wildcat guy. There's also Lorenzo Nunez, a true freshman. Nunez has a lot of hype and is supposed to be a more physically gifted Connor Shaw, but he's quite raw and true freshmen tend to do poorly in Spurrier's offense unless they're someone like Marcus Lattimore or Alshon Jeffery.

Gonna be fun/terrifying to see how this all plays out.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

Christian Hackenberg was complete garbage last year, there were a bunch of guys better than him. Anyone who still thinks he is good hasn't watched him since his freshman year. It's possible and maybe even probable that his line just wrecked him but he was horrible.

I've said this a bunch of the times but the third best QB in the conference who actually played any meaningful time was Gary Nova.

I didn't say he was good, I was just pointing out how dire the Big Ten QBs are. Who's better than Hackenberg? Nate Sudfeld is probably the closest and he sucked last year too. After that you've got comedy options like Leidner, Stave, and Armstrong. Other than Leidner there aren't even really any good runner/lovely passers coming back.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Our QB situation is very concerning. We have Tyrone Swoopes who, on his worst days last season, looked like maybe the worst QB I have ever seen starting in the P5. We also have RS freshman Jerrod Heard, who was an absolute dual threat monster in high school but by some accounts is struggling with Shawn Watson's west coast playbook. Jerrod Heard would probably murder the world if he was at TCU right now, but I'm not super hopeful that we'll have a working version of the ultra-simplified uptempo offense that would best suit Heard. We also have true freshman Kai Locksley, whose strengths are similar to Heard, but I don't see him getting in the picture this year.

I don't much like Shawn Watson.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech's got interception machine Davis Webb and glass-jaw Pat Mahomes, plus Iowa transfer Nick Shimonek.

So here's the catch: Webb has a 5 yard bubble around him because he's recovering from surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. He's not able to go 100%. Pat Mahomes is on the baseball team and spring practices are mostly scheduled around his availability. He'll be in California with the baseball team this weekend and will not practice.

It's nice to have, by all reports, a decent 3rd string QB, though. That way we're not bringing in Vinny Testeverde Jr if both Webb and Mahomes go down in season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm really optimistic about Baylor's QB situation - a big shock, I'm sure. Seth Russell was Petty's backup for the past two years, showed promise in a lot of garbage time snaps, and by all accounts sounds like the man to beat for the job this year. Not as big an arm as Petty, but much, much faster and shiftier. I could see us running an offense similar to either what TCU did last year or what we ran when RG3 was around - only I like our supporting cast better than TCU's or RG3-era Baylor's. Backing him are Chris Johnson, a dual-threat guy who hasn't been talked about lately but was very highly recruited a couple years back, and Jarrett Stidham, one of the best QBs in last year's class. I liked Petty a whole lot, but I'm looking forward to seeing what any of these guys can do. No reason to think Briles won't get his yards out of whoever starts.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 5, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

McElwain/Nussmeier have a track record of QB success, so I'm excited to see what they do with Treon and Will Grier.

Harris is the probably the day one starter, and Grier redshirted last year. Grier supposedly had more upside during recruitment, but Harris beat him out in Summer B in spite of Grier being an EE.

I think the building blocks are there for some success next year, but I think UF is still probably a 2 or 3 year project. We just don't have the numbers up front, and we definitely need some QB depth. I'm not sure Grier or Harris are the ones to really take off, but we will see soon enough I reckon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Our QB situation is very concerning. We have Tyrone Swoopes who, on his worst days last season, looked like maybe the worst QB I have ever seen starting in the P5. We also have RS freshman Jerrod Heard, who was an absolute dual threat monster in high school but by some accounts is struggling with Shawn Watson's west coast playbook. Jerrod Heard would probably murder the world if he was at TCU right now, but I'm not super hopeful that we'll have a working version of the ultra-simplified uptempo offense that would best suit Heard. We also have true freshman Kai Locksley, whose strengths are similar to Heard, but I don't see him getting in the picture this year.

I don't much like Shawn Watson.

Remember when Texas ran the zone read? Good times, good times

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Elotana posted:

Every good QB in QB Texas A&M's history looks goofy as poo poo

Seriously what is that tire tread thing Adidas keeps doing on jerseys? Is that for the fit? Notre Dame's had that same oddball pattern when they were Adidas and I think Akron does now too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I didn't say he was good, I was just pointing out how dire the Big Ten QBs are. Who's better than Hackenberg?

There are a bunch of guys. Tommy Armstrong and CJ Brown were way better as runners and also better as passers, even though neither is a very good passer (Brown is actually outright horrible, but still a more efficient passer than Hackenberg). Leider was a more effecient passer (on way fewer attempts) and a much better runner. Jake Ruddock was a much better passer and he lost his job. Stave was better when he actually played. The Big Ten is a QB wasteland but Hackenberg was one of the absolute worst QBs in the entire country. You just happen to know his name because he got a lot of hype coming out of his Freshman year.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
LSU's QB situation will probably resemble a sitcom for the billionth year running. Jennings will start, forever cementing Jordan Jefferson's place in LSU lore as the not-worst QB at the school. Harris will ride the pine, despite being more talented in every way, because he can't recite the playbook backwards.

Fournette & Williams' legs will fall off at some point before the season is done.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I want the 90's to come back. Huge shoulder pads. Those giant neck pad things. Cut off jerseys. Also jerseys that had huge holes in them. Also just the movie The Program to be on a lot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dattserberg posted:

Iowa's is up in the air. CJ Beathard (sadly not pronoucned how it is spelled) looks to have the starter. They released a depth chart AFTER the bowl game pretty much entirely to assure him that he was their starter next year and convince him not to transfer. This is kinda awkard because in theory Iowa also returns a guy who has started for the better part of two years in Rudock, who now suddenly goes into his senior year as a backup. Rudock by all accounts is a good kid and he was never an outright bad player, but he also wasn't good and he just doesn't have the arm to be better than that. As a result he's also completely terrified to throw downfield, which neuters an offense that's already way too heavy on short passes. Beathard is probably a little more mistake prone, but he also has a much better arm and is willing to take shots down the field, which hopefully opens up the offense a bit. He also is more athletic so you could maybe see some zone read type stuff here and there like Greg Davis keeps hinting at, but I'll believe that when I see it. I have no idea what to expect from Beathard because he's only played a few games and was up and down, but I think starting him is the right plan. He might be an unknown, but his ceiling is much higher and we've pretty much already established beyond a doubt that Rudock isn't a guy you can build a good Big Ten offense around.

Where it gets a little more dicey is the backup situation. If Rudock transfers (Michigan has been rumored, but it seems pretty likely that he's going to want to go SOMEWHERE to play his senior year, and he's an excellent student who could easily graduate early and play right away). If he stuck around he'd be a really ncie backup, but without him who knows. They have RS FR Tyler Wiegers, who was a 4 star recruit but had crappy offers and hasn't generated much hype so far, and then a couple true freshman, both of whom have seen speculation that they could move to a different postion. I actually kinda like one of them, Ryan Boyle, but he's raw and probably needs a few years to develop as a passer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I want the 90's to come back. Huge shoulder pads. Those giant neck pad things. Cut off jerseys. Also jerseys that had huge holes in them. Also just the movie The Program to be on a lot.

Yeah I'm good with all of this.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

soggybagel posted:

My two favorite players of all time happened to also play in that era...and they rocked that poo poo!

Keith McCants

Percy Snow

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Cut offs are making a comeback.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Instead of talking about something depressing like VT's QB situation, I'll be happy that 5 medical redshirts got approved today. VT gets a 6th year from DT Luther Maddy(all-conference level DT), starting CB Brandon Facyson(freshman AA), and a TE and 2 OL that will factor in the 2 deep.

Maddy's is most important as VT is likely fielding one of, if not the best DL in the country with him back in the middle. His loss was noticeable last year and it's great to get another year out of him as he'll be big against GT.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Crotch Bat posted:

Instead of talking about something depressing like VT's QB situation, I'll be happy that 5 medical redshirts got approved today. VT gets a 6th year from DT Luther Maddy(all-conference level DT), starting CB Brandon Facyson(freshman AA), and a TE and 2 OL that will factor in the 2 deep.

Maddy's is most important as VT is likely fielding one of, if not the best DL in the country with him back in the middle. His loss was noticeable last year and it's great to get another year out of him as he'll be big against GT.

The backups did a quality job by the end of the season, but his loss after the UNC game coincided with our defenses utter inability to stop poo poo up the middle until about the Duke game, add in Williams going down and welp. It was really nice to see all those guys get those cleared up.

Real sticking point is if Facyson can actually get healthy, by all reports his leg injury is still problematic for him almost a full year removed from the original diagnosis. He may never be able to get back up to speed (but we definitely need his playmaking so Chuck Clark can be a real FS like Gray has been mentioning since he arrived freshman year).

Also the QB situation isn't depressing because we actually have depth for once, but what is depressing about it is knowing Brewer basically has it locked up because he's a returning starter and it just seems super unlikely they put a true freshman in who won't arrive until June/July, and all reports are the freshman who RS last year aren't really going to cut it.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 5, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
GT's QB situation is looking very good. Justin Thomas is the best QB we've had since Joe Hamilton, maybe even better, in our system. He's got a better mind and better legs for the option than any QB Paul Johnson's ever had. Tim Byerly has performed well in the garbage time he's seen and for those two drives in the Duke game when JT hurt his ankle.

Quarterback is probably GT's strongest position going into next year, for once.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They are a bit. Or just tucking the jersey under. But I want that stupid black mesh jersey with huge air holes to come back.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Indeed, they are.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

UCLA's Jerry Neuheisel (Rick's son, naturally) was UCLA's hero against Texas when Brett Hundley was hurt. He's probably going to start next season, but who knows.

Nah Neuheisel will be third, if not fourth, on the depth chart next year barring some kind of crazy improvement in the offseason. He came in and saved the day against Texas, but Asiantii Woulard is a much better athlete and fits the system better. It'll be between him and Josh Rosen, one of the best quarterbacks coming out of high school, with most people thinking it'll ultimately be Rosen. There's bound to be some growing/freshman pains, but we bring a lot of guys back so he'll at least have an experienced O-line and the Pac-12's leading rusher to help take some pressure off him.

Fun problem to have compared to the situation we were in for like a decade under Dorrell and Neuheisel where every year we would have to decide between a walk-on and a couple of guys who physically can't throw the ball more than 15 yards downfield, only to have the guy named starter get hurt early in the season anyway.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I'm really excited about Alabama's QB situation in all honesty. Coker is the one that's had real snaps but I wouldn't expect that to mean much since they were mostly against FCS teams (although he did well against Florida). His decisions were garbage early in the season and he looked like the very archetype of a guy that gets overhyped for size and arm strength, but he seemed much calmer and more composed later on. Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell both showed just as much or more mobility and raw talent, and Bateman in particular looked good last spring while Cornwell was injured. Alec Morris was according to Saban actually third on the depth chart last year, he's more of a pure pro style guy though. And we have the #1 QB prospect in the country as an early enrollee. Gonna be a loving pitched battle for the starting position, the only downside being that the guy we start early on might not be the guy at the end of the year. But we're maybe the only team in the country that could perhaps go through quarterbacks like Ohio State did last year. If one of the young guys clearly beats Coker out in spring and our wide receivers step up and/or Adam Griffith becomes the kicker he was before he got hurt, we're going to be loving dangerous.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
what is the point of working out to get badass abs if you can't show them off to the world

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Percy Snow

is this a perspective trick or was Percy like 6'10" because holy poo poo he looks enormous :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
ISU's QB situation is fully settled and you'll excuse me I'm going to go cry in the corner looking at everybody on our depth chart except for our QB and WRs, who might be the only FBS caliber players on the roster.

• Locked thread