Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
... I'm getting completely shitcanned by Black Gravios. He's too tall to effectively IG fight, and I keep getting 2-shot combo'd as a gunner using my Dehn Morhan bow. This is the first time I've outright failed a quest multiple times like this, and I have no idea what to do. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

This is my first monster hunter game. I've toyed around with all the weapons and decided to commit to the Hammer for now. I noticed when I upgrade it, the hammer get's dull faster. I assume the first stage of dullness is still at least as good as the sharp base hammer?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

he's one of the easiest monsters in the game to IG because jumping on him is a breeze, seriously dude, you're not IGing right if you're having trouble jumping on him

LibbyM posted:

This is my first monster hunter game. I've toyed around with all the weapons and decided to commit to the Hammer for now. I noticed when I upgrade it, the hammer get's dull faster. I assume the first stage of dullness is still at least as good as the sharp base hammer?

um...what? could you link what weapon you're using? look it up on kiranico and link it

are you saying it goes to yellow sharpness faster? I'm confused

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

... I'm getting completely shitcanned by Black Gravios. He's too tall to effectively IG fight, and I keep getting 2-shot combo'd as a gunner using my Dehn Morhan bow. I have no idea what to do. :smith:

Black G's a big shithead. Go for mounts off of cliffs, he's got super low mount resistance. everything south of white sharpness bounces off his legs, so aim for the chest if you don't have white. If you do, go for the legs until they break, that makes it possible to hit them. Gunning him's definitely the way to go if you're good at it. the only attacks to be super scared of are the beam sweep and that undersweep he does and you can panic dive through both of those. Otherwise play it super safe, he's a big sack of HP and dumb poo poo but once you start getting breaks things get a lot easier

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

What's IGing?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Am I right in thinking the Regios blademaster stuff gives Minds Eye but Blunt Edge? Because this guy reccomended that I get Minds Eye and Razor Sharp at the same time and I don't think you could even gem for it.
Am I gonna need to clown suit?

Late, but no. It gives Edge Lore/Steady Hand (the new Mind's Eye + Razor Sharp skill) and Slow Sharpener, among other things. It's actually neat because you can throw Sharpness+1 on there easier and have both Sharpness+1 and Razor Sharp. Edgemaster/Honed Blade is good for the same thing and also comes with Attack Up (L) built-in.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Black Gravios is fun to gun unless it's G rank or apex regular Gravios. That slow walk with mini beams and fire farts will eat you alive if you aren't careful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LibbyM posted:

Sharpness is color coded (obviously?) If the upgrade has a short first section, its probably a sharper color than the lower level?

It could be that the upgrade you're looking at is a fork where it loses sharpness but gains tons of damage or affinity or something, but usually upgraded weapons are sharper than the weapons before them (either a new color, or a longer bar of the same color)

Bombadilillo posted:

What's IGing?

Insect Glaive. Its a weapon.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

um...what? could you link what weapon you're using? look it up on kiranico and link it

are you saying it goes to yellow sharpness faster? I'm confused

I think I was probably reading the display backwards is all, actually. Like, I was looking at it as progressing in dullness from left to right, like I was building up a dullness meter, when it actually drains from right to left, losing a sharpness meter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LibbyM posted:

I think I was probably reading the display backwards is all, actually. Like, I was looking at it as progressing in dullness from left to right, like I was building up a dullness meter, when it actually drains from right to left, losing a sharpness meter.

Yeah, sounds like that's the case.

Yellow < Green < Blue < White < Purple

So a little green followed by a little yellow is better than a big yellow bar, for instance.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

he's one of the easiest monsters in the game to IG because jumping on him is a breeze, seriously dude, you're not IGing right if you're having trouble jumping on him

For some reason every time I knock him over, I get knocked back and set on fire- even if he's in the middle of some other animation and not fire-farting. :shrug:

I'm working on making a better gunner set and hope this, and playing more cautiously, will work.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Insect Glaive. Its a weapon.

Boy is my face red.

Makes perfect sense now.

As a newbie, should I be looking up guides to find the best weapons I can get now or wait till I hit a wall. Should I grin Jaggi until I can get his armor set?

I've fallen in a deep maddening love with the switch ax.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Boy is my face red.

Makes perfect sense now.

As a newbie, should I be looking up guides to find the best weapons I can get now or wait till I hit a wall. Should I grin Jaggi until I can get his armor set?

Jaggi's a decent starter set, also maybe look at the velocidrome set. upgrade weapons when you start thinking you need an upgrade or if you see one you want

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So now that I'm in High Rank Caravan, are expeditions gonna be High Rank also? I need some HR Basarios parts.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Junpei Hyde posted:

So now that I'm in High Rank Caravan, are expeditions gonna be High Rank also? I need some HR Basarios parts.

You need to get to High Rank both online and offline to unlock High Rank Expeditions, which are seperate on the map.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Drythe posted:

His tail gives tail shells, of which you need 11 for the insect glaive :downs:

huuuRUGH

Anyhow, I went back to singleplayer for a little bit and carved through akantor and teostra without much issue (teostra did kill me once as I was getting up from a stun with his super explosion). Akantor was a cakewalk but strangely he is demolishing groups I hunt with online.

I've noticed people online don't really upgrade their armor. I'm sitting at 410 defense without buffs or anything and most people I see are like, 300-320 at most. With food and armor essence I'm over 450 so nothing I've seen thus far one-shots me. Akantor's sonic cannon thing was one-shotting everyone else in the group, though, including one group that insta-failed the quest because the three other guys all stood in the giant death-scream.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Boy is my face red.

Makes perfect sense now.

It happens :cheeky:

You don't need to look up weapons. Go to "The Man" aka the blacksmith. Go to Craft Weapons and look at everything he can make. Can you make something? Make it. If you can't, don't. Make all the weapons you can always. Have one of everything. Also go to Upgrade Weapons and upgrade anything you can. Upgrading through the trees usually costs fewer resources than crafting something outright, but sometimes upgrading through a few levels isn't worth it and its easier to just craft outright.

But always be crafting weapons. They're very easy to come by. Killing each boss once or twice for your key quests should give you the mats you need.

Armor is the other story. Armor requires far more mats because you almost always want a full set, not just one piece. (Because set bonuses; you know about those right?) So armor is the opposite of weapons. Always be crafting weapons, but don't bother ever crafting armor until you NEED to. Like, craft one decent low rank armor set (Jaggi and Veloci are fine) and then upgrade that set with armor spheres and don't bother crafting a new armor set until monsters are 2-shotting you. Then go ahead and craft the best single possible set you can at that level, and wear that until it doesn't work anymore.

Switch axe is love.

Junpei Hyde posted:

You can do both Low Rank Expeditions and High Rank Expeditions now; they're separate icons on the map.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Alxprit posted:

You need to get to High Rank both online and offline to unlock High Rank Expeditions, which are seperate on the map.

Ah. Low Rank Online's easy enough to solo, right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bombadilillo posted:

Boy is my face red.

Makes perfect sense now.

Jaggi armor set is a pretty good first upgrade, yeah. For the first 7 ranks or so you can get away pretty easily with just picking whatever weapon upgrades are available to you with the biggest numbers on them; after that point you'll suddenly have access to a ton of new gear options that obsolete your current ones pretty nicely -- up to that point, as long as your equipment is sufficient enough to kill whatever you're running into I wouldn't stress very hard about min-maxing or farming for every single incremental upgrade

Also, don't worry about being stingy with Armor Spheres to upgrade the armor you craft -- I wouldn't use them on your current stuff if you're about to craft Great Jaggi armor, for example, but once you do feel free to burn them all upgrading its defense. They become very, very common as you continue to progress and the defense upgrades make a big difference

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

Ah. Low Rank Online's easy enough to solo, right?

Once you've hit high rank offline and crafted your first decent high rank weapon and armor, definitely. I was blowing through quests in 5~ minutes

edit: also, it's a good opportunity to grab some palicoes! Once you've hit high rank and unlocked the new palicoes with new skills and stuff they'll start appearing on low rank quests, too, so you might as well expand your cat army while you're knocking out low rank stuff

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

goferchan posted:

Jaggi armor set is a pretty good first upgrade, yeah.

That lovely King's Frill won't drop, because Jaggi invariably goes down before I can break his face :(

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Practice other weapons, particularly something that specializes in smashing faces AKA Hammers/Horns/Great Swords?

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Mango Polo posted:

That lovely King's Frill won't drop, because Jaggi invariably goes down before I can break his face :(

What I did for this was simply not attack it at all, just mount it successfully 3 times and his face will break every time the moment the 3rd mount completes.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Briefly touching on carve versus capture chat, it looks like a case by case basis. There are some materials where just 2 slots for a capture is still better than 3 carves, some materials where 2 versus 3 slots for each method is close and some where you will have to be quite lucky on capture rolls to beat carves. In general I would say capture is better but always check, so you only have to kill 20 Zinogres instead of 30.

Edit: I looked only at rare stuff. Crooks, gems, mantles etc.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I capture by default, because in general the materials that you're more likely to get from capturing than carving lean towards the rare end of the spectrum, and it's always easier to go back and farm the common stuff from killing if you find yourself short.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maximum Chenergy posted:

So to anyone else who hasn't already done this, by the time you can feasibly make the G rank final form of the Dalamadur (or the Brachy) glaive, you're basically only a few quests shy of getting the Crimson Fatalis glaive, which is better than both of those in every single possible way. It's got more slots, more affinity, more purple sharpness, (more raw than Brachy), and more blast than both of those. It's really absurd.

Also in general: As an intro glaive to G-Rank get someone to host Chameleos for you, it's the easiest thing in the world to make and will literally last you the rest of the game.

I've mentioned this before I think, but I'm kind of annoyed at how thoroughly the Fatalis glaives chump all the alternatives. The Fatalis one beats the Magala glaive in every possible way (lower affinity but even with its affinity the Magala has considerably lower effective raw damage), and the Dala glaive has better raw than Crimson Fatalis (even counting its affinity) but is otherwise worse while Brachydios is again just entirely dumpstered. Surprisingly the White Fatalis one, while still definitely the best lightning glaive, is the only one that isn't just better entirely than its alternative, since the Kirin glaive actually gets more Lightning damage, defense, and two slots over it, despite White Fatalis being so weird and special he's only available in DLC. Still, it seems like there should be some options here, but no, the Fatalis weapons (which, regardless of the fights, are some of the conceptually least-interesting monsters in this series because they're just dragons) are just better.

And just to make it worse, I think that the Fatalis glaives are some of the ugliest, least-interesting glaives you can get, with basically all the alternatives looking cooler. And all three are just recolors of each other, with some beard hair on the white one. Are all the Fatalis weapons like this, superior, uglier versions of the competition? Because looking at some of the other Fatalis weapons (hammer, bow, lance, and longsword), wow, these are some hideous weapons.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Just realized Shagaru Magara's stage's camp has a working bed, and there's nothing stopping me from bringing the mats for 10 farcasters. This feels so wrong.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zilla32167 posted:

Just realized Shagaru Magara's stage's camp has a working bed, and there's nothing stopping me from bringing the mats for 10 farcasters. This feels so wrong.

If you're having that much trouble bring max potion mats, imo

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

If you're having that much trouble bring max potion mats, imo

One of these things revives my cats, cures virus, gives time to sharpen, and is hard to punish. The other does not.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zilla32167 posted:

One of these things revives my cats, cures virus, gives time to sharpen, and is hard to punish. The other does not.

One of those things adds a minute per clear time every use and the other maybe a couple of seconds at most

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Can someone give me the lowdown on IG weapons? Apparently you can mess up by feeding your insects the wrong thing?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Which weapon are you using, again? I think only blunt attacks will break his frill. You also have a chance to get the special break items from a monster if you capture it, even if you didn't break the part. Make sure to talk to the cat standing by the door of your house and get the free starter pack of items available in the DLC menu; that should hook you up with more than enough traps and tranquilizer bombs and potions and stuff to keep you going until it becomes trivial to craft a bunch more.

Also, if you haven't already, some quests will explain how capturing works soon, but basically you beat on a monster until they're limping (for a lot of them it's pretty obvious, others have slightly more subtle tells) and then place a Shock Trap or a Pitfall Trap (usually you don't want to do this the second a monster starts limping, as most of the time their first instinct will be to run away to a new area -- follow them first, then find a good spot in that area to place a trap) and get them to fall into it, then throw two Tranq Bombs at them while they're trapped. If you're having trouble getting them to land in your trap try dropping some raw meat in as bait, or stand behind it and chug a potion (lots of monsters loooove to charge at you when you do this but in this case you can use that behavior to your advantage). 90% of the time if you need parts from a monster, it's gonna be more effective to capture it than kill it -- you don't get to carve it, but you get a lot more parts in your quest rewards. Capturing is definitely a good skill to get the hang of

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Etrips posted:

Can someone give me the lowdown on IG weapons? Apparently you can mess up by feeding your insects the wrong thing?

Since you're pretty fresh. Don't worry about it. Just stack speed for the early game. You won't need God bugs until late game.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Etrips posted:

You played Pokemon? It's basicAlly EV training except generates better skills in addition to better stats

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Toxxupation posted:

You played Pokemon? It's basicAlly EV training except generates better skills in addition to better stats

Haven't played pokemen since blue/red.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Since you're pretty fresh. Don't worry about it. Just stack speed for the early game. You won't need God bugs until late game.

Got it boss.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

One of those things adds a minute per clear time every use and the other maybe a couple of seconds at most

What I'm saying is, it seems odd that they put a working bed in that map but not any of the other arena-type maps I've seen

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zilla32167 posted:

jesus that's gonna be a 45 minute shaggy kill

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Etrips posted:

What your kinsect can evolve into depends on its Power, Stamina, and Speed. Certain evolutions require a certain amount of each stat. In particular, the "best" kinsect (the only one with Effect Extender, which doubles how long your buffs last) requires both Power and Stamina at certain levels by certain points, but since it's a Power/Stamina bug it doesn't get a Speed Up skill and since slow bugs are awful you also want to max its Speed while you go, and doing this pretty much requires a specific order of feeding it.

Note that you can only get that bug in G Rank. Using a glaive you aren't going to keep using that long? Just dump points in Speed, basically.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
FWIW, this is the ONLY bug staff diet you will need on an endgame glaive:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2xotw1/how_do_i_get_the_kinsect_with_the_effect_extender/cp21224

You'll know if you messed up somewhere because all the upgrade paths should be min / maxed. There's one upgrade where you have a choice of two evolutions, pick the one that's more minmaxed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Zilla32167 posted:

What I'm saying is, it seems odd that they put a working bed in that map but not any of the other arena-type maps I've seen

It's supposed to be the same base camp as the Heaven's Mount, only you're going out of it a different way. The game is not trying to tell you to use 11 Farcasters.

• Locked thread