Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Niton posted:

A bunch of the non-r&d respondants, as well as Randy, brought up that Insects should never be blue. Which is still true, but R&D let it slide one time, and that single Blue Insect is one of the pillars of eternal formats.
Still not completely correct, since it says they're supposed to green when they're actually black. At least, if they actually have qualities shared by many insects. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I actually did the art for the FoW reprint and I asked them why they needed Ojutai doing such a smug pose, as I thought the rough draft looked like a typical counterspell.

Ken Nagle pulled me into his secret sky fortress (not an underground lair because the ground is the graveyard and there lies dredge!!!!) and relayed to me the secret cardboard wizard code, "the Crow caws at midnight"

I ran this through Google translator from English to German to Russian and then back to English and it said Force of Will Reprint!!!!

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

The new Zurgo seems amazing. I need to go buy a playset of bloodstained mires because man I want to play Mardu heroes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
What would the EV of a pack of DTK be at release if they reprinted Force of Will in it? :signings:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gyshall posted:

Here is a man

gently caress, I wanted my Alesha Tiny Leaders deck to be B/R only, but I don't know if I can justify that now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Well that certainly is a 2/2 for 1 in red with upside :stare: The only question is how many you're prepared to run given it's legendary, I suspect the answer will be either 3 or 4 because it's amazing.

Nice to see a shoutout to Ironclaw Orcs too, a weirdly iconic card in its own way.

Entropic posted:

I hope they put an uncommon build-morphs-around-me card like Secret Plans in this set.
Do you think Salt Road Ambushers looks OK as that? It seems like it would have been good in Khans but there'll be less unmorphing if the costs are this high.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

What would the EV of a pack of DTK be at release if they reprinted Force of Will in it? :signings:

< 5$?

They reprinted 5 100 dollar fetches and made them modern legal, and they're all 10.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Well that certainly is a 2/2 for 1 in red with upside :stare: The only question is how many you're prepared to run given it's legendary, I suspect the answer will be either 3 or 4 because it's amazing.

I'm thinking 3 will be a good number. As long as you keep dashing him, you should almost never lose him. I can see running 4 of though.

God Zurgo is such a good card now.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

RME posted:

this will go great in my edh deck

Elder Dragon Highlanders of Tarkir

Seriously, gonna get to sketching up a list for my Ur-Dragon EDH deck. It will happen, I can tell.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This entire block has been good for Ur-Dragon edh so far.

We haven't even seen the other three dragonlords yet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

This entire block has been good for Ur-Dragon edh so far.

I look forward to seeing the other 3 x/y's for 6 with combat abilities and Not Much Else

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I hope they will be the Red Eyes Black Dragon, the Blue Eyes White Dragon, and I dunno, Cyber Dragon (not actually a dragon).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

We're missing Atarka, the blue regent and Otujai in the list of 'possibly playable' dragons to go.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

We're missing Atarka, the blue regent and Otujai in the list of 'possibly playable' dragons to go.

I won't be surprised if there's a surprise red dragon mythic since red-dragon badasses is a standard MTG thing. Granted, there's only 4 unrepresented mythics here if you count Ojutai and Atarka.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I won't be surprised if there's a surprise red dragon mythic since red-dragon badasses is a standard MTG thing.
Surprise! Sarkhan turns into a dragon!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

Surprise! Sarkhan turns into a dragon!

Gonna laugh if new Sarkhan is Nissa Revane of Dragons.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nice to see a shoutout to Ironclaw Orcs too, a weirdly iconic card in its own way.

Speaking of how far we've come, Ironclaw Orcs was literally a 4 of in a deck that was at least tier 1.5 at one point.

I feel old.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cernunnos posted:

It depends on if the card is instantly banned in modern or not. I feel like fows would drop like a rock if they were printed at standard large set quantities but not modern legal. Anyone smart would just wait out a price drop at that point too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Gonna laugh if new Sarkhan is Nissa Revane of Dragons.
I was thinking more he'd be the Living Guildpact of Tarkir

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Is it likely that there's gonna be a cycle of multicolor charms for each of the dragon broods?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

Speaking of how far we've come, Ironclaw Orcs was literally a 4 of in a deck that was at least tier 1.5 at one point.

I feel old.

When Sligh first came out it was dominant, because that deck invented the idea of a mana curve.

I played Ironclaw Orcs two years ago in a Legacy Tribal Wars tournament that had a special price for anyone who went 2-1 with a deck using only cards from the first five sets in Magic history. That one didn't work, but I managed to go 2-1 with a land-destruction Bird tribal deck the next week. I had to run Bird Maiden because those early sets do not have many birds.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

Is it likely that there's gonna be a cycle of multicolor charms for each of the dragon broods?

Commands?

or is that :thejoke:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This is actually exactly what Mardu Legends needed oh my god

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

Commands?

or is that :thejoke:

I forgot about those :downs:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chamale posted:

When Sligh first came out it was dominant, because that deck invented the idea of a mana curve.
As I understand it the top deck at the time also used Necropotence, which helped it out a bunch.

Also how about him in a Sligh tiny leaders deck

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chamale posted:

I played Ironclaw Orcs two years ago in a Legacy Tribal Wars tournament that had a special price for anyone who went 2-1 with a deck using only cards from the first five sets in Magic history. That one didn't work, but I managed to go 2-1 with a land-destruction Bird tribal deck the next week. I had to run Bird Maiden because those early sets do not have many birds.

I'm actually shocked that there were 5+ unique birds in the first 5 sets(were ABU considered one set for this?) across all the colors.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chamale posted:

Haha at first I was like hey that's not the most terrible card but then I noticed that there was a weird blotch beside the mana symbol...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The errata on that card. Human Bird :stare:

That's some Shambleshark poo poo.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

So between Zurgo, Swiftspear, Foundry Street denizen, and lightning berserker, sligh is looking like it is going to be pretty good after this set for a while. add in dragon fodder and outburst and there is a really good base right there.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fiend Computer posted:

So between Zurgo, Swiftspear, Foundry Street denizen, and lightning berserker, sligh is looking like it is going to be pretty good after this set for a while. add in dragon fodder and outburst and there is a really good base right there.

Denizen is part of M15, unfortunately, and won't survive rotation without a reprint. That said, there's also stuff like Heelcutter, Wild Slash, and Break Through the Lines.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Count Bleck posted:

The errata on that card. Human Bird :stare:

That's some Shambleshark poo poo.

The original Simic creature was neither blue nor green, huh...

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Its incredible adorable right now reading Reddit comments saying you don't want multiples of the new Zurgo in your deck.

At least you guys assessed 3 as a fair number.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

bhsman posted:

Denizen is part of M15, unfortunately, and won't survive rotation without a reprint. That said, there's also stuff like Heelcutter, Wild Slash, and Break Through the Lines.

Ah right, I forgot about that. Well, I get to live the dream for six months at least. And like you said, there are some other good options.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rimusutera posted:

Its incredible adorable right now reading Reddit comments saying you don't want multiples of the new Zurgo in your deck.

At least you guys assessed 3 as a fair number.

like you don't want multiples at all? are they saying you should only run one?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You can only have one on the battlefield so why would you ever want more than one in your deck?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Swagger Dagger posted:

You can only have one on the battlefield so why would you ever want more than one in your deck?

Because you'd like to actually draw it in your opening hand in a decent number of games. You don't want 4, since drawing multiples sucks, but only having 1 isn't that great either since you won't get to open with it very much.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fiend Computer posted:

The problem with Sligh is that the last set had Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods and the current set has a billion cards with incidental life gain or lifelink and you now have to play green to get a Skullcrack effect.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

forbidden lesbian posted:

like you don't want multiples at all? are they saying you should only run one?

Besides the "Guys, Isamaru was a 4x in Zoo" comments, the highest I've seen was 2x. And yeah, the logic is you can't play more than one.

What is statistical probability of drawing it every opening hand.

What is removal.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
In the short term I probably only want 2 to help replace Firedrinker, but beyond that I could see him as a 4-of much like Isamaru in the old Ravnica Zoo lists.

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with Sligh is that the last set had Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrow and Anger of the Gods and the current set has a billion cards with incidental life gain or lifelink and you now have to play green to get a Skullcrack effect.

The good news is that everyone still insists on running taplands and enemy painlands for some reason. :v:

EDIT:

The legendary drawback doesn't seem too awful unless you draw three of them, you often want to sandbag a creature (especially a hasty one) and Bile Blight makes multiples of the same creature unattractive anyway.

Given the choice, I would rather draw 3 copies of Zurgo in a game than 3 Firedrinkers with how prevalent red is becoming.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The legendary drawback doesn't seem too awful unless you draw three of them, you often want to sandbag a creature (especially a hasty one) and Bile Blight makes multiples of the same creature unattractive anyway.

• Locked thread