Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry :( I've seen a similar thing - for me it was in a young rat who never thrived. I think it was a neurological issue. I don't think they suffer. It seems to go quick :(
I wouldn't worry about the cagemates. Rats are pretty susceptible to brain tumors and issues. I highly doubt it was anything infectious. Very distressing to see though I know.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Thankyou. I've never seen one go out like this it was really horrible, I dont know how I manage to have one 4 year old rat when stuff like this can happen.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
4 years is very impressive. Does s/he still walk around?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Big Bug Hug posted:

4 years is very impressive. Does s/he still walk around?

Yeah she shows no sign of blindness or deafness and has no mobility problems at all, nice clear eyes, good energy level, and a shiny pretty coat. Only sign of aging a bit is maybe she pees outside her cage a bit more often than she used to but thats all.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
That's crazy, every rat I've had reach 3 has had hind limb degeneration to some degree. Have you had her since she was a baby? Sorry for the questions, I'm curious!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Big Bug Hug posted:

That's crazy, every rat I've had reach 3 has had hind limb degeneration to some degree. Have you had her since she was a baby? Sorry for the questions, I'm curious!

Naw its fine, shes a freak, I had the hind leg situation many times but not with her, I've had her since she was probably about 4 weeks old.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I've been ratless for about a year after my last two had a series of strokes (at least, that's my guess.) Figured I was ready for more, so I just picked this girl up from the pet store.

She was incredibly friendly and brave, and was willing to eat out of my hand within an hour of getting to her new home. Unfortunately, all the other friendly babies at the store were male, so I'm holding off on getting her a companion for the moment.

Also unfortunately, I don't think the breeder who sold the babies to the store took very good care of them, because she's kind of sniffly and I'm thinking she may have myco. :sigh: Oh well, I'm impressed enough by her demeanor that I'll just deal with it as best I can if it doesn't clear up.

I'll post more pics tomorrow.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I moved cross country in October with my pair of rats, both past 2 years old and in apparent great health. In the next few weeks, one rapidly deteriorated and I took her to the vet :smith: the other also suddenly became thin and elderly, but is totally trooping along and doing great. Unfortunately we moved to the rat middle of nowhere and I couldn't pin down any breeders remotely close, so I picked up a pair of babies from Petsmart to keep my last rat company. My main problem is they are still terrified of everything, super skittish, and have no real interest in me at all, it seems. I give them treats constantly, take them out of the cage and feed them constant treats then as well, but they still absolutely do not want to come out of the cage of their own volition. One of them will occasionally run out to sit on my hand if I sit at the cage door long enough but that's about it, and they tend to run to the back of the cage more often than not even if I'm putting their food in. I've had them for a little over three months and they've definitely gotten better than being wide-eyed and terrified of being touched at all, but I thought they might be more confident now.

It's pretty disheartening; my first pair of rats were from Petsmart and they were instantly chill and cool with everything, and my last pair even more so, being from a breeder. I'm not really surprised that they're so skittish, but I'd really like them to warm up to me and be able to hang out outside the cage and play. It seems like they'd be happy just being left to their own devices in the cage. Is there anything I can do to help, or is it just a matter of time/personality? Do some rats never come around?

mareep fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 15, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

redcheval posted:

Do some rats never come around?

My rats are from a pet store that was near my old apartment a state away. It's almost been 2 years and they wont leave the cage of their own volition. Other than that, they're very friendly.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
My rats don't leave the cage of their own volition either. But once they're out they seem to enjoy it. They're just lazy boys.

Take 'Em out anyway :)

Edit: I think I've only had 2 rats ever that would actually beg to come out. It probably comes down to very early socialization and personality. Those rats came from a breeder who lavished attention on them before I brought them home.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 14, 2015

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I've honestly only had one rat (out of... a bunch over ~3 decades) who didn't beg to come out. :shrug: Sometimes it took a while for them to come around, though.

My photo's broken? Erm... Sorry about that. Shows up fine here, but I'll try flickr this time. Hopefully this will work better.

20150211_221657 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

I've decided on the name Myia (after the ancient greek philosopher because I'm a terribly pretentious git.)

20150213_191804 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

There she is in her new home. She spent the last three nights there alone. :smith:

She's quite tiny.

20150213_162939 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

But very brave!

20150213_162933 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

She actually was eating out of people's hands within an hour of getting home!

10888349_10155180193750293_2537579065112967970_n by ben_templeton, on Flickr

Myia 1 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

But I picked up a companion for her today! :)

20150214_150534 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

She's a teeny bit older and not as brave, but she's still sweet. I'm probably going to name her Damo. (Again, pretentious git.)

20150214_150502 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

As soon as Damo got into the cage, Myia was ecstatic! Hopping and bouncing all over the place, trying to get Damo to play.

20150214_150430 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

Damo was more interested in exploring her new surroundings, though. But I'm sure they'll get along well once she's settled.

20150214_150425 by ben_templeton, on Flickr

I'm pretty content right now. They're going to cost me a ton in vet bills (they always do :unsmith:), but I've got the money already set aside so it won't be a hardship.

Did those photos show up fine, I hope?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
They are super adorable :3:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
I have no idea how you can keep your face out of those pictures, because all I want to do is gather them up and smoosh my face into their fur. Babby rat fur :3:

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Oh my goodness those rat babies :3:

In the past couple days I've been taking out the more skittish of the two and sitting with her on the couch. Being able to run around a little more without the cage to run back to has helped a little. Neither is begging to come out yet, but she's already much friendlier and runs to the cage front instead of fleeing when I open the doors. All four of my last rats were incredibly chill and would sleep on my feet or shoulders while I worked. But just getting these guys to play will be cool :)

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I haven't had ratties in years, so I thought I'd stop in to check out the pictures. I'm loving Damo and Miya! :kimchi: Oh and hello again old rat thread peeps. :wave:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Welp, finally had to throw away my rat's first house. They had taken the roof off and chewed the holding slots for it so it couldn't be put back together. That thing survived three cages.

I'll never find something like that ever again. :smith:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
:( Took one of my boys to the vet today because he was/is very lethargic, not eating, and, was sniffling a little. The vet's not sure he'll make it. He's only a year-and-a-half. He gave us antibiotics to try but he didn't sound very optimistic. Sepi didn't even struggle a little when I gave him his first dose.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dovetaile posted:

:( Took one of my boys to the vet today because he was/is very lethargic, not eating, and, was sniffling a little. The vet's not sure he'll make it. He's only a year-and-a-half. He gave us antibiotics to try but he didn't sound very optimistic. Sepi didn't even struggle a little when I gave him his first dose.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I also had a boy with same symptoms, about 18 months old as well. I took him to several different vets but nobody could figure out what was wrong and antibiotics didn't help him unfortunately.

I really hope that your boy gets better.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I also had a boy with same symptoms, about 18 months old as well. I took him to several different vets but nobody could figure out what was wrong and antibiotics didn't help him unfortunately.

I really hope that your boy gets better.

How long did it take? He's not eating at all-I offered him his favorite and he didn't even lick it. When I lay him on his back (for a second) he doesn't struggle; he just lays there. He's my baby, my little cuddlerat;I don't want to lose him now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dovetaile posted:

How long did it take? He's not eating at all-I offered him his favorite and he didn't even lick it. When I lay him on his back (for a second) he doesn't struggle; he just lays there. He's my baby, my little cuddlerat;I don't want to lose him now.

About 2 weeks.

Most of the time my boy was sick I had to feed him myself, through a syringe, the same way you give them medicine.
It's very important that he gets at least some food and water. I recommend trying to give him baby food, it's very tasty to rats and has pretty good nutritional value and it's easy to put it into a syringe.

How is his breathing? Is it regular? Does he make sounds when he breathes?
If there are any problems with that it might be a good idea to have him somewhere where it's humid and warm.

EDIT: Also if you don't mind me asking, what kind of bedding do you use in your rat cage?
Like I said, none of the vets I visited could figure out what was wrong with my boy and I've been trying to figure it out myself.
I had a theory that it might've been because of the bedding I used but it's only based on a story of one other rat owner that I didn't even get to talk to myself.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 7, 2015

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

About 2 weeks.

Most of the time my boy was sick I had to feed him myself, through a syringe, the same way you give them medicine.
It's very important that he gets at least some food and water. I recommend trying to give him baby food, it's very tasty to rats and has pretty good nutritional value and it's easy to put it into a syringe.

How is his breathing? Is it regular? Does he make sounds when he breathes?
If there are any problems with that it might be a good idea to have him somewhere where it's humid and warm.

EDIT: Also if you don't mind me asking, what kind of bedding do you use in your rat cage?
Like I said, none of the vets I visited could figure out what was wrong with my boy and I've been trying to figure it out myself.
I had a theory that it might've been because of the bedding I used but it's only based on a story of one other rat owner that I didn't even get to talk to myself.

It's a moot point now as he's passed on 30 minutes ago. I gave him water/baby food but he wsn't able to swallow much. At the least, he died in my arms so there's that bit of comfort I suppose.

His breathing was terrible; constant noise right up until he died.

I use a paper bedding; generic Care-Fresh basically.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Im sorry dovetaile :( That sucks. It was probably just a myco flare up that developed into pneumonia, like it sometimes does. It can be very hard to treat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dovetaile posted:

It's a moot point now as he's passed on 30 minutes ago.

I'm sorry for your loss. Rats live such short lives and they're so frail. It's sad. :(

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

My condolences, but at least he went out being loved. That's a lot more than most rats get in this world.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Is it normal for rats to never blink with one eye? One of my rats never seems to blink his right eye. I see him blink a lot with his left but never the right. Either he's really good at psyching me out or he literally never blinks that eye.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is it normal for rats to never blink with one eye? One of my rats never seems to blink his right eye. I see him blink a lot with his left but never the right. Either he's really good at psyching me out or he literally never blinks that eye.

I'd be more worried about a rat blinking a lot than not at all, every one I've ever had blinks pretty rarely. From what I've seen of other animals humans blink weirdly often so dont compare your pets to that.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yeah I never see my rats blink. He might have one irritated eye, or curly hair that gets in one eye? I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets red, weepy or swollen etc.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Rats only blink when you blink, but they blink faster.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Schrödinger's Rat Blink.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

So, Damo is pretty weird. Whenever I have her out playing, she's nigh-constantly working her jaw and tongue. It's not bruxing, since her teeth aren't grinding together, it's just opening and closing her mouth while running her tongue between her teeth.

Her teeth seem fine, and I can't find any health problems that would explain it. I've had a lot of rats over the years, but this is the first time any of them have had a habit (?) like this.

Maybe she's just kinda dumb? I dunno.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Only while she's out to play?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, haven't noticed her doing it in the cage yet.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I think your rat is just eccentric :)

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
Some German artist has set up a gun with a webcam mounted to it and will allow viewers to shoot at rats. All in the name of Protesting drone strikes in the middle east. It is sickening and I fail to see how the two compare to each other.....

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-03-14/internet-users-given-power-to-shoot-rat-using-their-keyboards-in-controversial-art-experiment/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

The country's animal welfare laws prohibit the infliction of pain, suffering or injury on an animal without reasonable cause, but as Mehnert will not be the person pulling the trigger, it is unclear if he can be held responsible if the rat is shot.
Yes he can, Jesus Christ. Unless Germany has some unusually unclear laws on criminal responsibility, which seems unlikely.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Holy poo poo someone tell me what I need to do to go save those rats right now

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
What an rear end in a top hat and failure at making a statement. It doesn't vilify the other participants who are making the choice to put a rat's life at stake, or really give them a choice relevant to the topic at all. The topic is nominally the drone strikes taking human lives. His life is the only one that's his to offer, so what does the piece ultimately say except that he considers the lives of other creatures disposable?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Hope someone shoots him.

loving retard.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

So, I'm hearing that the rat has been rescued, and is now in the possession of veterinarians.

Apparently the gun was an unarmed paintball gun, and it was all something of a publicity stunt to make people more aware of drone attacks. The rat was never at risk, thankfully. Hopefully he'll find a good home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

I have a new little fluffy shitlord. The camera didn't pick it up, but he is legit orange :3:

We're calling him Leonard.