Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've read the report and seen the video of the scene provided by Devolver and they're not very different. The fact they included that disclaimer and option to turn it off kinda deflates any argument that the report wasn't right about what was being depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jizz Festival posted:

The fact they included that disclaimer and option to turn it off kinda deflates any argument that the report wasn't right about what was being depicted.

It'd still be triggering even if it wasn't as bad as they said it was. It's just them being nice about it, like videos that put in elipsy warnings.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
On the one hand the facts of the report are more or less all true, and yeah the fact that the game has the option to disable it kinda catches them red-handed. Clearly they recognize themselves that there's some issue.

On the other hand the way I read the report made it sound to somebody who has never seen Hotline before like it was very graphically violent, when you can't really even be all that detailed with gore when the characters are like 8 pixels each.

They should probably just make a version that doesn't ask you which opening you want and forces the censored opening and then Australia will probably sign off on that. :shrug:

WickedHate posted:

It'd still be triggering

Are you seriously using 'triggering' in an unironic sense?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

On the other hand the way I read the report made it sound to somebody who has never seen Hotline before like it was very graphically violent, when you can't really even be all that detailed with gore when the characters are like 8 pixels each.
To be fair there, there is a lot of blood and the actions are pretty clear and vivid, even if not close up and detailed. Plus, there are times in the original game where you see heads with chunks taken out of them a lot when they come up as dialogue portraits, and I assume this one will have that sometimes too.

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you seriously using 'triggering' in an unironic sense?

Yes.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh boy here we go! This won't get the thread locked like last time!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jizz Festival posted:

I've read the report and seen the video of the scene provided by Devolver and they're not very different. The fact they included that disclaimer and option to turn it off kinda deflates any argument that the report wasn't right about what was being depicted.

...No, the Australian classification board described "thrusting motions" that straight up are not in the game even if you choose not to censor the scene for yourself. Are you crazy?

Dennaton did the right thing here, leaving the scene in but giving people who would be bothered by it the option to skip it. That's commendable on its own without having to loving lie about what's in it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh boy here we go! This won't get the thread locked like last time!

This is the PC thread. If you want to actually discuss the game go make your own thread.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If the sprite didn't thrust, you must adjust (the rating).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Anatharon posted:

:mario:Nobody cares how edgy or PC you are about rape:mario:

While I'm probably closer to the bleeding heart liberal type who would like to discuss this sort of thing, an internet comedy forum isn't really the place.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Every occasion people start arguing about the scene, this thread was closed. Don't start this poo poo again, you dorks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wait did they seriously leave "PRESS A TO RAPE" in? I feel like you can't really act surprised when that has consequences.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Can't wait to ruthlessly cave in the skulls of unsuspecting russian mobsters while wearing a tony the tiger face mask and listening to jamming electrobeats..

Only 5 more days!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Do you guys bitch like this when this happens in a movie or book? :allears:

Shut the gently caress up and either buy the game or don't. No one cares about your morality.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You're attempting to compare non-art to art. Apples to oranges, dude.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

yes

youre phrasing this like its some kind of clever gotcha, but literally yes

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context

Shut the gently caress up and either buy the game or don't. No one cares about your morality.

What people fail to realize is that in film and literature, you're not the one making it happen. You're just watching everything unfold. In games it's different because you're the one pulling the metaphorical trigger. Most people would rather avoid doing horrible things, but as more and more devs think they're making "cinematic experiences", they think the player needs to do these things. This only results in people getting pissed off, ridicule from people who don't want this poo poo in their games, and developers constantly wondering why people don't take them seriously as an art form.

Granted, Hotline Miami does puts you in the role of a complete psychopath, and I'm pretty sure to fully appreciate the game you have to not be exactly right in the head. But I do think It's kind of funny that there's a line that can't be crossed for Hotline fans.

But what do I know, I'm mostly in it for the music.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Can't wait 2 rape

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

1upclock posted:

What people fail to realize is that in film and literature, you're not the one making it happen. You're just watching everything unfold. In games it's different because you're the one pulling the metaphorical trigger. Most people would rather avoid doing horrible things, but as more and more devs think they're making "cinematic experiences", they think the player needs to do these things. This only results in people getting pissed off, ridicule from people who don't want this poo poo in their games, and developers constantly wondering why people don't take them seriously as an art form.

Granted, Hotline Miami does puts you in the role of a complete psychopath, and I'm pretty sure to fully appreciate the game you have to not be exactly right in the head. But I do think It's kind of funny that there's a line that can't be crossed for Hotline fans.

But what do I know, I'm mostly in it for the music.

But isn't that scene in question a goddamn act? Like aren't you acting? As in you play an actor filming a scene in a movie?

DolphinCop posted:

yes

youre phrasing this like its some kind of clever gotcha, but literally yes

You're loving retarded.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just think it's cool they put in a warning and the ability to skip it.

You're loving retarded.

Great, ableism too.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

But isn't that scene in question a goddamn act? Like aren't you acting? As in you play an actor filming a scene in a movie?

She's a five-hundred-year-old dragon spirit that just looks like a little girl. It's not pedophilia, see?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Jizz Festival posted:

She's a five-hundred-year-old dragon spirit that just looks like a little girl. It's not pedophilia, see?

I take it back. You're the retarded one.

WickedHate posted:

Great, ableism too.

gently caress off

EDIT: At least Hatred won't have to deal with this poo poo. Or is there rape in that game too? :qq:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The scene is in as a demonization of Jacket's actions within the context of the (fictional) movie "Midnight Animal." In reality (well, Hotline Miami's reality), Jacket saved the girl and took her home - but the movie is playing up his disgusting aspects in order to sell tickets. Taking it out would remove that message.

At the same time, sexual violence is on an entirely different level than normal violence, and some people are very bothered by it, particularly people who are already victims of it. Adding in the option to skip the scene preserves the artistic intent while also making the experience better for those who are affected. Dennaton did the right thing.

Thank you for reading my opinion.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

"Stop talking about this, but first let me get the last word in :smugbird:"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

So getting back to the music chat, I don't think there will be as many Perturbator songs in HM2 since a lot of his newer songs have vocals or movie lines and wouldn't fit as well.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Pirate Jet posted:

The scene is in as a demonization of Jacket's actions within the context of the (fictional) movie "Midnight Animal." In reality (well, Hotline Miami's reality), Jacket saved the girl and took her home - but the movie is playing up his disgusting aspects in order to sell tickets. Taking it out would remove that message.

At the same time, sexual violence is on an entirely different level than normal violence, and some people are very bothered by it, particularly people who are already victims of it. Adding in the option to skip the scene preserves the artistic intent while also making the experience better for those who are affected. Dennaton did the right thing.

Thank you for reading my opinion.

This is a great way of putting it. Thanks.

Sleeveless posted:

"Stop talking about this, but first let me get the last word in :smugbird:"

"I'm a big loving retard and I have nothing to add to this conversation but my smugnness. :smug:"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I now want to do violent murders and rapes, much like my personal hero, the nameless protagonist of hotline miami who wears animal masks

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lotta responses from someone who supposedly doesn't give a poo poo.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I now want to do violent murders and rapes, much like my personal hero, the nameless protagonist of hotline miami who wears animal masks

:hfive:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Jizz Festival posted:

Lotta responses from someone who supposedly doesn't give a poo poo.

I'm bored and this kills time.

Much like all the poor pixel victims I've rape-murdered in Hotline Miami. :devil:

EDIT: I also find lulz-worthy that people take a moral highground on a video game.

VVVV EDIT2: When I was a kid a friend of mine smashed his sister's finger in a door and broke off one of the digits. She's had a stumpy finger since. VVVVV

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 5, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Have you guys tried murdering anyone with a door in real life? You have to swing it open really goddamn hard.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've actually raped a few women, and let me just say the thrill of doing it IRL will never match what the game offers sadly

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't mind the scene being in myself, and I really like this element of the story. The issue of the digital comic that had "the Pig Butcher" murdering a bunch of innocent people really pissed me off because I thought they were retconning Jacket's story, but then the last page revealed it was the movie and it suddenly made a lot of sense. Very deep.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's not real on two different levels. ONe because it's an act, and two because it's a videogame! WOW!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
We can only hope the level is A+-impossible if you opt out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Anatharon posted:

:mario:Nobody cares how edgy or PC you are about rape:mario:

Mario frowns upon all of you.

It was only five more days too!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not being edgy, but don't knock rape until you try it

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Achievement Unlocked: Raped and Killed a girl in 1980

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I just forwarded this whole thread to the King of Australia and none of you are going to be able to travel there again.

edit: I think? Wait is 'oval office' a good term in Australia? I have no idea what this guy is saying to be honest.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Saint Freak posted:

edit: I think? Wait is 'oval office' a good term in Australia? I have no idea what this guy is saying to be honest.

I think it's a number of Welsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I personally think it's an interesting commentary on games that you can have a game where you brutally and graphically murder people, police officers, dogs, prisoners, unarmed people, wounded people, people who're begging for their lives and where you can gouge out people's eyes, beat them in the head with a bat until their brains fall out, burn them with boiling water, slash their throats, kick their head in against a wall, cut their limbs off and generally violently execute everyone you come across and that is perfectly fine. But the moment you throw in a scene of sexual violence (in a scene that assists and demonstrates some of the themes in the game no less) people flip out.

• Locked thread