Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

I took surveys like that in school a few different times when I was a kid. I don't know of any of my friends that were actually honest on there.

sure, but bad data is better than no data. and scientists who do survey work are well aware of unreliable data provided by respondents - if you average it out over a large enough data set it'll come out roughly accurate as long as your statistics are right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Guavanaut posted:

They do have ways to catch people out though, like fake drugs on the survey.

As a child I was an overachiever and so I worked hard to give plausible but untrue answers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

Are khat, coca, and papaver somniferum going to be regulated "like any other plant" too?

I appreciate what he's doing, and it's definitely a step in the right direction, but there does seem to be an over-focus of "it's just a plant" on cannabis. The usefulness of coca, for example, has been known for centuries.

Cocaine, unlike marijuana, is actually approved for medical use and has been since before WWII. In the US it's schedule II, which puts it on level with Adderall, Ritalin and opium.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's still not the same as what the Christian plant fan is proposing for marijuana though. That would be something like "cocaine available on prescription only, but importation and sale of coca leaves as a supplement is fine," which currently is not the case.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

sure, but bad data is better than no data.

I disagree, because people tend to take bad data more seriously than common sense.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
EDIT: side note, one fun human interest story that's been bouncing around the news, a dude up around Annacostia walked into a police station and demanded his weed back. He'd been arrested the previous week on a non-drug charge, and once he got out of jail marijuana had been legalized, and the new law says that marijuana (under two ounces) is just normal personal property, so gets returned just like your wallet and cellphone. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...1b89_story.html

Apparently there's an entire think tank in DC dedicated to "thinking up creative ways around congressional impositions". This group, Appleseed, is advocating for DC to declare the need to regulate marijuana an "emergency", allowing the city to draw on its slush-fund that has money from previous years. That way they'd avoid the prohibition by Congress of using any 2015 funds to implement a tax and sales settup. This idea has been bandied about casually a lot, but this is one of the few times I've seen it discussed in print.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/looselips/2015/03/04/buzzkill-say-goodbye-to-the-pot-consensus/

Meanwhile the Initiative 71 head, Adam Eidinger (who the Post has described, somewhat affectionately, as a "political gadfly") is now going around wearing a revolutionary "Phrygian Cap" and promising that 4/20 is going to be epic in DC. Presumably massive civil disobedience in the form of the biggest smokeouts DC's seen in ages. Again, this is likely to get way funnier before it stops being funny.

He's also the guy reopening his Capitol Hemp store that was previously shut down by the cops, over in Adams Morgan.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 5, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Apparently there's an entire think tank in DC dedicated to "thinking up creative ways around congressional impositions". This group, Appleseed, is advocating for DC to declare the need to regulate marijuana an "emergency", allowing the city to draw on its slush-fund that has money from previous years. That way they'd avoid the prohibition by Congress of using any 2015 funds to implement a tax and sales settup. This idea has been bandied about casually a lot, but this is one of the few times I've seen it discussed in print.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/looselips/2015/03/04/buzzkill-say-goodbye-to-the-pot-consensus/

Meanwhile the Initiative 71 head, Adam Eidinger (who the Post has described, somewhat affectionately, as a "political gadfly") is now going around wearing a revolutionary "Phrygian Cap" and promising that 4/20 is going to be epic in DC. Presumably massive civil disobedience in the form of the biggest smokeouts DC's seen in ages. Again, this is likely to get way funnier before it stops being funny.

He's also the guy reopening his Capitol Hemp store that was previously shut down by the cops, over in Adams Morgan.

I was going to make a joke about how horrible his hat is, but then I notice his facial hair and now I'm in a existential depression. There is no god.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I was going to make a joke about how horrible his hat is, but then I notice his facial hair and now I'm in a existential depression. There is no god.
This is what i imagine absurd alhazred looks like irl, just with a pony tail coming out the back of the hat.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That picture is a little blurry but the optimist in me makes me think it's a Phrygian cap and he's wearing it as a statement.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 5, 2015

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
Another lawsuit has been filed against Colorado, this time by sheriffs in Colo, as well as Nebraska and Kansas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/05/colorado-marijuana-lawsuit_n_6808358.html

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LogisticEarth posted:

That picture is a little blurry but the optimist in me makes me think it's a Phrygian cap and he's wearing it as a statement.

Don't lie to me he got it from a papa smurf costume set.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

EDIT: side note, one fun human interest story that's been bouncing around the news, a dude up around Annacostia walked into a police station and demanded his weed back. He'd been arrested the previous week on a non-drug charge, and once he got out of jail marijuana had been legalized, and the new law says that marijuana (under two ounces) is just normal personal property, so gets returned just like your wallet and cellphone. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...1b89_story.html

While this is funny, I really don't want there to be any sort of major 4/20 event here. Anything that plays into the stereotypical stoner culture just hurts the movement, especially in DC. I'd rather see the head of the movement wearing a nice suit, and talking about how nothing will really be different culturally, just people will be able to smoke when they want rather than....... that.

Otherwise, it gives opponents the ability to roll their eyes and go "See, look what happened, we legalized it and EVERYONE'S SMOKING OUTSIDE AND CAUSING A MESS JUST LIKE WE PREDICTED"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Yeah, DC is just not the type of town where a big rear end smoke-in will do anything other than antagonize everyone.

e: if anything they should have organized a great big snow fort / snow man / sledding smoke-out today, I bet that would go over a lot better than something on 4/20 considering nobody is doing anything serious in DC today anyway.

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 5, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SgtScruffy posted:

While this is funny, I really don't want there to be any sort of major 4/20 event here. Anything that plays into the stereotypical stoner culture just hurts the movement, especially in DC. I'd rather see the head of the movement wearing a nice suit, and talking about how nothing will really be different culturally, just people will be able to smoke when they want rather than....... that.

Otherwise, it gives opponents the ability to roll their eyes and go "See, look what happened, we legalized it and EVERYONE'S SMOKING OUTSIDE AND CAUSING A MESS JUST LIKE WE PREDICTED"

Freedom is fine as long as they are exercising it appropriately according to the puritan principles of discretion and conformity.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I think that guy's been smoking cannabis.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is always interesting in marijuana legalization polls, are there any other issues where women are less likely to take a progressive position?

Hard to tell. I tried doing some brief research on this via Gallop, but most of the articles I've found regarding gender splits in politics are either about general party affiliation (Women are slightly biased towards voting Democrat) or abortion (Gender doesn't seem to make much of a difference for this one - there's a slight pro-choice slant for women, but it's not by a huge amount).

According to Wikipedia, the major issues that men and women differ significantly (10-25 percent) on are:

quote:

Increased role of government
U.S. military intervention
Healthcare and welfare
Firearms restrictions
Affirmative action to achieve racial equality

Unfortunately, their reference for that one has no link.

Women ARE significantly more likely to be religious, so that might have something to do with it?

http://www.pewforum.org/2009/02/26/the-stronger-sex-spiritually-speaking/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 5, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is always interesting in marijuana legalization polls, are there any other issues where women are less likely to take a progressive position?

KillHour posted:

(Women are slightly biased towards voting Democrat)
In the UK, there's a slight bias in the opposite direction, women are more likely to swing Conservative.

It's been that way for a long time:

Although it seems to have been reduced to a very slight lead recently:

Afaik it still exists for things like drug legalization and same-sex marriage/adoption (before the latter ones passed).

I'm not sure why that is.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

Everything you just said is true. He should also totally get a haircut, hippie.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey, we took care of the decrim and legalized possession and growing. I don't think that a desire to be cautious moving forward from here is at all in the same realm as "get a loving haricut, hippie" :jerkbag:

I mean DC is home to the political class that are some of the stuffiest, most egocentric, meddlesome, and moralizing hypocrites in the entire nation. Not only that, but they are explicitly able to gently caress with DC's governance to a degree that can not be found anywhere else in the country. They're also vindictive and petty and take offense easily. Smoke-outs around the capitol / mall / white house / etc are just going to piss em off and I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that.

I'd hate to see something stupid happen that causes congress to get up in our poo poo and kick us down for another four or five years.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

How are u posted:

Hey, we took care of the decrim and legalized possession and growing. I don't think that a desire to be cautious moving forward from here is at all in the same realm as "get a loving haricut, hippie" :jerkbag:

I mean DC is home to the political class that are some of the stuffiest, most egocentric, meddlesome, and moralizing hypocrites in the entire nation. Not only that, but they are explicitly able to gently caress with DC's governance to a degree that can not be found anywhere else in the country. They're also vindictive and petty and take offense easily. Smoke-outs around the capitol / mall / white house / etc are just going to piss em off and I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that.

I'd hate to see something stupid happen that causes congress to get up in our poo poo and kick us down for another four or five years.

I was sincerely agreeing with you that the way people behave after legalization matters as far as how it gets perceived going forward. My hippie comment was a half joking jab at people who would see that picture and think the same thing but with no irony at all.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Noted shitlord Kevin Sabet has posted an interview with the current ONDCP drug tsar. It goes something like this:

quote:

Botticelli: “As a person in recovery, I don’t want to be walking down the street and smell marijuana smoke. I don’t want to be walking down the street and see one more temptation because there is a marijuana dispensary down the street. We are already inundated through every vehicle in this society about issues around substance use and using drugs. I, as a person in recovery, don’t want more of that. I want less of it.”
http://learnaboutsam.org/why-new-white-house-drug-policy-chief-opposes-medical-pot-legalization/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

KingEup posted:

Noted shitlord Kevin Sabet has posted an interview with the current ONDCP drug tsar. It goes something like this:
http://learnaboutsam.org/why-new-white-house-drug-policy-chief-opposes-medical-pot-legalization/

Welp, better ban alcohol again.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

As a person in recovery, I don’t want to be walking down the street and smell marijuana smoke. I don’t want to be walking down the street and see one more temptation because there is a marijuana dispensary down the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPHlAbAf2I

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

It is, and he is indeed wearing it as a statement.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
DC Cannabis Campaign apparently had a brainstorm overnight. Now, in order to make a political point without breaking District law, they're advocating the #dimebagmarch, having people swarm DC on 4/20 carrying under 2oz of marijuana each. Presumably inspired by the "open carry" pro-guns protests in other parts of the US:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

And that statement is "Look at me, I'm a pot smoking lawn gnome!" because nobody except massive history nerds knows anything about those hats.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

His statement is "Teabaggers ruined the tricorn hat as a symbol of liberty, so I'm going to dress up as a smurf because the French Revolution."

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

His statement is "Teabaggers ruined the tricorn hat as a symbol of liberty, so I'm going to dress up as a smurf because the French Revolution."

It's All About Branding(tm)(c)(r)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cross post

site posted:

Spent part of my probation yesterday filling my up my kitchen with this

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

And that statement is "Look at me, I'm a pot smoking lawn gnome!" because nobody except massive history nerds knows anything about those hats.

Those hats scare the poo poo out of conservatives, and they will always will. The meaning behind them has never died.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Those hats scare the poo poo out of conservatives, and they will always will. The meaning behind them has never died.

I think you're confusing conservatives with some weird suicide cult. It's just a hat. And I say this as someone who used to be around a LOT of conservatives.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

KingEup posted:

Selfish.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Texan GOP champ:

quote:

As a Christian, I recognize the innate goodness of everything God made and humanity's charge to be stewards of the same.

In fact, it's for this reason that I'm especially cautious when it comes to laws banning plants. I don't believe that when God made marijuana he made a mistake that government needs to fix.

Regrettably, that's not the course we have pursued on more than one occasion. In the name of protecting the public, certain substances have been declared evil and contraband. So evil are these substances that state and federal agents are empowered to enforce laws with little to no regard for constitutional protections of individual rights, the sanctity of one's home or the right to travel freely.

You would think that our country's history with alcohol prohibition - an era marked by bootlegging, organized crime, government corruption and a rise in crime in general - would have prevented us from making the same mistake again.

But our current "war on drugs" policies, though well intended, have accomplished the exact opposite, spurring a proliferation of ever-changing exotic designer drugs and a disregard for constitutional protections in the name of eliminating drugs at any cost. Just think of no-knock warrants, stop-and-frisk, civil asset forfeiture and billionaire drug lords.

The time has come for a thoughtful discussion of the prudence of the prohibition approach to drug abuse, the impact of prohibition enforcement on constitutionally protected liberties and the responsibilities that individuals must take for their own actions.

The Bible warns about excessive drinking, eating and sleeping (Proverbs 23:21), but it doesn't ban the activities or the substances or conditions associated with them - alcohol, food and fatigue. Elsewhere, feasting and wine are recognized as blessings from God.

Scripture stresses respect for our neighbor's liberty and conscience, moderation for all and abstinence for some.

Should we be concerned for our friends and neighbors who abuse a substance or activity? Yes, we should help them through sincere and voluntary engagement, but not with force and violence.

Is there a place for prohibition? Yes, a prohibition of aggression (Romans 13). Our laws should prohibit and penalize violent acts. This is the jurisdiction of the magistrates under the new covenant - harm to one's neighbor.

Civil government should value everything God made and leave people alone unless they meddle with their neighbor.

- State Rep. David Simpson, a Longview Republican, represents Gregg and Upshur counties (District 7) in the Texas House. http://www.news-journal.com/news/2015/mar/07/simpson-the-christian-case-for-drug-law-reform/

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Still enjoying noted shitlord Kevin Sabet's baffling sense of scale.

You may recall how he all but totally ignored massive wins on election night for Oregon, Alaska, and DC to instead focus on the mortal blow to potheads when East Bumblefuck, CO, announced they wouldn't zone any space for weed shops and their residents would instead be forced to drive several minutes to get past their limits and to store.

Similarly, now he's declaring a turning point in the madness by crowing that the Navajo Nation has decided not to legalize marijuana for now. Yup, it's been not even a month since over a million people in Alaska and DC had massive changes to their weed laws, and he's stoked that 300,000 people, whose territory spills into three states, none of which allow marijuana, have decided not to legalize for now. EDIT: Oh, even better, it's one single lawmaker in the Navajo Nation has introduced a bill to affirm that they aren't planning to change.

Then there's DC, and Kev's response to the news that the nation's capital weathered a showdown with Congress, and you can now completely legally (per local law) smoke and grow weed while staring out your window at the White House or the Capitol.

quote:

Kevin Sabet @KevinSabet · Mar 5

DC pot law scaled back dramatically- legalizers bummed says @washingtonpost. Doubt DC even counts as legal anymore. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4a99_story.html

Kevvie is on the ball: being forced to smoke and cultivate your marijuana only on property zoned residential, while being able to only carry 2oz, is pretty much the same as "totally illegal".

I'm not personally clear on the degree to which this is his honest personal perspective, or if he just enjoys the money and influence of his little organization so much that he's willing to grasp at every straw that could possibly build his case.

The "Smart Approaches to Marijuana" organization that he and formerly drug-addled ex-senator Patrick Kennedy run has a real leg-up in the media, because it's one of few really prominent anti-weed groups that's not explicitly the US government. All over the US there are hundreds of groups big and small trying to roll back the drug war, whereas the anti side largely has the entire weight and inertia of the US government, and after that it's pretty much Kev and five interns, and after that places like a PTA meeting in suburban honkeyland. So if you're a journalist and need the "other side of the story", really your only options are to call the DEA, talk to some local busybody nobody cares about, or email Kev.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KingEup posted:

Texan GOP champ:

I never thought I'd live to see a Republican talking about the sanctity of marijuana. It's an interesting argument, but it's also a bit surreal. :pwn:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I never thought I'd live to see a Republican talking about the sanctity of marijuana. It's an interesting argument, but it's also a bit surreal. :pwn:

My dad's super Christian and smokes a lot of pot. He also worked in construction for 40 years, so there's that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Is he also pro-union/labor?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lmao, of course he isn't.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

Lmao, of course he isn't.

Does he support only his union (the only moral one), or is he one of those guys who think unions make it impossible to fire anybody and hold back hard workers like him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah, but he's kind of mad at his union right now because the person they had help him figure out his retirement lost him a poo poo ton of money.

He very rarely if ever talks about politics. The only reason I even know he's republican is because he watches Fox news and listens to conservative talk radio.

Edit: His job (before he retired) was also seasonal, so he collected unemployment 4 months out of the year. I've never heard him say anything negative about social programs like that. I'm really not even sure why he's Republican. Maybe because my mom is a member of the FYGM brigade? :iiam:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 8, 2015

• Locked thread