Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Why the gently caress is Xenoverse not getting this?

Heroes has literally no gameplay beyond moving cards on a table and playing Simon with less buttons. It's nothing but skins for something on the Tenkaichi graphics engine. So less effort overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm digging the visor-scouter. I want one in Xenoverse.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mordaedil posted:

Everyone needs a super form. Nameks, earthlings, Freeza's, Majins, Androids and Cells.

In Xenoverse? Three of these are canon already, and one has been featured in a movie and GT.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I get Frieza Clan transformations. I do. And I get why people want SSJ 3, but in canon, 2 people have hit that, and one is a fusion.

So let's say you have a Namekian transformation. Every time you want to "transform", you do what, exactly? Find a wounded Namekian and merge with them every fight? And then, it's a permanent thing. Same with Majins- their transformations are meant to be semi-permanent, not something you power up to and revert back to at the end. It wouldn't work with Xenoverse mechanics. I'm perfectly happy with everything the way it is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I remember the old Budokai games had Namekian transformations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

I get Frieza Clan transformations. I do. And I get why people want SSJ 3, but in canon, 2 people have hit that, and one is a fusion.

So let's say you have a Namekian transformation. Every time you want to "transform", you do what, exactly? Find a wounded Namekian and merge with them every fight? And then, it's a permanent thing. Same with Majins- their transformations are meant to be semi-permanent, not something you power up to and revert back to at the end. It wouldn't work with Xenoverse mechanics. I'm perfectly happy with everything the way it is.

You can get access to Ginyu's body change as a technique. It's a bit silly to say that they're not willing to bend canon in favor of gameplay mechanics.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I remember the old Budokai games had Namekian transformations.

Did you literally transform, or was there a powerup called "Fuse with Kami"? Because if it was the latter, Kaioken is available to everyone.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

New Leaf posted:

There's nothing wrong with letting players hit SSJ 3 really, the game's about living out your dreams of being Goku so why not, just let it be a regular SSJ transformation with no inherent benefit outside of looking a particular way for gameplay sakes.

Namekians could either get bigger, or just say they fuse or something. The problem with only Saiyans in the game having a transformation is that it gives them infinite Ki to be super cheesy. As long as there's a way to let anyone have the cheese mode, it's fine.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Aurain posted:

There's nothing wrong with letting players hit SSJ 3 really, the game's about living out your dreams of being Goku so why not, just let it be a regular SSJ transformation with no inherent benefit outside of looking a particular way for gameplay sakes.

Namekians could either get bigger, or just say they fuse or something. The problem with only Saiyans in the game having a transformation is that it gives them infinite Ki to be super cheesy. As long as there's a way to let anyone have the cheese mode, it's fine.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's kinda the point of the show, isn't it? Saiyans are super cheesy and nobody else gets their benefits, but they have their own poo poo going on that makes them cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Of course, but there's got to be some incentive for people to not be the overpowered win everything race, even though in the source material, Saiyans are literally that.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Let Humans unlock potential, Namekians turn giant, Freeza go form 4, Majin's go Kid. There's the super forms. Come one Xenoverse 2, let's have All The Transformations, All The Time.

Or heck, given Revival, let Freeza's go gold too.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 5, 2015

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, so, since the engine of Xenoverse apparently has trouble with model changes or something, we can work around this.

Saiyans get Super Saiyan mode.

Frost Demons go Super Frost Demon mode, like Freeza in the new movie.

Majin...uh...get buff? Like Super Buu.

Namekians also get buff, like Lord Slug.

Humans...uh...Great Saiyaman, but not a Saiyan?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Humans get Unlock Potential which is something that already exists in the game and is literally adult Gohan's power increase that is identical to Super Saiyan in every way.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hardly use stamina at all, so I'd hate if my Freeza Clan guy got stuck with a super form that gives them infinite stamina while it lasts or something. We totally need giant Namekians, though. And playable Kais and demons.

Mordaedil posted:

Either way really. I just hope they don't go for the Lakers reference, because nobody outside of the US will get that and I kinda loved the fact that their jokes so far have been sort of ubiquitous of nationality.

"Where does Freeza's race come from?"
"They mostly live in Los Angeles."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's kinda the point of the show, isn't it? Saiyans are super cheesy and nobody else gets their benefits, but they have their own poo poo going on that makes them cool.

The new movies has Freezer turn gold. Just let Namekians do the same.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pyroi posted:

Okay, so, since the engine of Xenoverse apparently has trouble with model changes or something, we can work around this.

Saiyans get Super Saiyan mode.

Frost Demons go Super Frost Demon mode, like Freeza in the new movie.

Majin...uh...get buff? Like Super Buu.

Namekians also get buff, like Lord Slug.

Humans...uh...Great Saiyaman, but not a Saiyan?

The whole model change issue is probably something they'll have sorted out by the sequel, after all Budokai Tenkaichi 1 didn't have transformations either

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

The new movies has Freezer turn gold. Just let Namekians do the same.

I'm afraid only the albino Namekians could transform. :(

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've been playing a bunch of XenoVerse and I want to rewatch the series + movies. What's the watching order for Dragonball Z? As in where do the movies come in and what movies do I watch?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
All the movies are non-canon to the series, so if you want to follow just the actual canon you can skip them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you're going strictly by the canon, then you're going to have to skip a lot of movies, because most of them fit in very poorly.

For instance, you wouldn't be able to watch any of the movies pre-Namek since Goku has the Kaioken in most if not all of them, but his friends are still alive. Dead Zone also contradicts the Raditz battle.

It also depends on if you're watching the original or Kai.

Here's a guide thing.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
One movie I can remember fits into continuity without any hassle is the Bojack film. It's pretty easy to slot it in some time shortly after the Cell Games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that guide is basically 'watching the bardock OVA just after Vegeta dies is a cool way to get pumped for the frieza fight, none of the other movies fit in at all, bye.'

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Brony Hunter posted:

One movie I can remember fits into continuity without any hassle is the Bojack film. It's pretty easy to slot it in some time shortly after the Cell Games.

This is just one of the many reasons Bojack is one of the best movies. Wrath of the Dragon also fits in really well as being right after Buu, but unfortunately, it is hands down the loving worst. Broly 3 also fits into the same post-Buu period, and Broly 2 is pre-Buu.

Broly 1, Return of Cooler, and Android 13 "supposidly" all take place during the ten days to the Cell Games. Of them, only Android 13 is good.

Dead Zone's only problem is that Krillin meets Gohan but doesn't recognize him at the start of the Saiyan Saga. It's really great, as is Lord Slug, Tree of Might, and World's Strongest, which couldn't have happened because everyone is alive but Goku hasn't gone Super Saiyan yet. Cooler's Revenge sucks and couldn't have happened because Goku can't instantaniously turn Super Saiyan.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Broly 1, Return of Cooler, and Android 13 "supposidly" all take place during the ten days to the Cell Games. Of them, only Android 13 is good.

Oh man, I forgot about that.

That's a hell of a week for Gohan. Fight loving legions of evil robots, travel across the galaxy a few times, forget how to go Super Saiyan, remember how, learn how to go beyond, watch your dad die, save the world yourself...

Kid's gonna need therapy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Watch the or Read the series. Kai preferably to get past all of the filler. Then watch Battle of Gods. You are now caught up in the canon stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Watch the or Read the series. Kai preferably to get past all of the filler. Then watch Battle of Gods. You are now caught up in the canon stuff.

The special with Vegeta's brother is also canon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The guide thing was more for episode placing.

If you just want canon stuff, it'd probably be best to watch Kai (maybe Bardock's movie before the first episode) all the way to the episode before Uub, then Yo Son Goku + Battle of the Gods, then the last episode of Kai.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

history of trunks is also canon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If I ever get anywhere with that RPGmaker game for Dragon Ball that I said I was going to do, I'm going to have to sort out some way to fit the movies together with the show, best solution I can think of is to increase the amount of time it takes for Vegeta and Nappa to get to Earth(unfortunately that basically means they'd be taking 4 years to get to earth to account for all the Dragon Ball usages in Movies 2-4 as well as the one that brings Goku back to life) with Goku's initial absence from fighting Nappa being the result of him still recovering from injuries induced from one of the movies(probably World's Strongest cause he gets the crap walloped out of him in that one) instead of having to get back to Earth from King Kai's

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

drrockso20 posted:

If I ever get anywhere with that RPGmaker game for Dragon Ball that I said I was going to do, I'm going to have to sort out some way to fit the movies together with the show, best solution I can think of is to increase the amount of time it takes for Vegeta and Nappa to get to Earth(unfortunately that basically means they'd be taking 4 years to get to earth to account for all the Dragon Ball usages in Movies 2-4 as well as the one that brings Goku back to life) with Goku's initial absence from fighting Nappa being the result of him still recovering from injuries induced from one of the movies(probably World's Strongest cause he gets the crap walloped out of him in that one) instead of having to get back to Earth from King Kai's

This is actually a really smart idea. Nappa and Vegeta being in another galaxy entirely isn't very far fetched.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I always took the movies more as. "Replace this canon fight, with this one from the movie." So like Dead Zone would replace the Raditz fight, and i guess World Strongest and Tree of might would replace Vegeta and Nappa's fight. Though i guess it kinda falls apart quickly. Movies still rule.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

For this to work, would senzu beans just conveniently not be around?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

World's Strongest was a kickass movie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

World's Strongest was a kickass movie.

Hell yeah it was, particularly since Goku and Piccolo go toe-to-toe, and Piccolo almost legit kills Gohan.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Some Numbers posted:

The special with Vegeta's brother is also canon.

The what now?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yo! Son Goku and Friends Returns was a 30 minute animated special written by Akira Toriyama. One day, when Goku and friends were celebrating Mr. Satan's new hotel opening Vegeta's lovely brother Tarble shows up and asks for help.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Why doesn't Cooler's Revenge fit in canon in the first year after Trunks warns about the Androids? Goku supposedly got way stronger during that year.

Is it just because he didn't immediately go SSj? I guess that kind of makes sense but at the same time wouldn't he have been kind of reluctant to transform anyway? To avoid the Androids knowing about his SS transformation, I mean.

Android 13 makes no loving sense though I will give you that. The only way that could have worked is the 30 seconds between Goku getting over his Heart Disease and Vegeta and Trunks going into the Time Chamber.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vegeta had a brother that was very nonaggressive, almost pacifistic, so king vegeta sent him to a very small backwater planet and told him to exterminate everybody. either he would and things could go back to normal or he'd die and he'd be out of his hair.

instead he befriended the locals and married a weird alien.

then some of frieza's remnants started causing trouble, so he went to earth because he had heard that the person who defeated frieza was from there. then gotenks beats up the bad guys.

that's about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ElBrak posted:

I always took the movies more as. "Replace this canon fight, with this one from the movie." So like Dead Zone would replace the Raditz fight, and i guess World Strongest and Tree of might would replace Vegeta and Nappa's fight. Though i guess it kinda falls apart quickly. Movies still rule.

Lord Slug is King Piccolo, Cooler's Revenge is Freeza, Return of Cooler is Robot Freeza(as much of a non event that was in canon), Android 13 is aspects of Cell(android absorbs two others), Bojack is other aspects of Cell(Goku is dead and Gohan has to go Super Saiyan 2), Fusion Reborn is Buu.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Why doesn't Cooler's Revenge fit in canon in the first year after Trunks warns about the Androids? Goku supposedly got way stronger during that year.

Is it just because he didn't immediately go SSj? I guess that kind of makes sense but at the same time wouldn't he have been kind of reluctant to transform anyway? To avoid the Androids knowing about his SS transformation, I mean.

Gero said he stopped surveillance after the Saiyan Saga anyway. Sure Goku didn't know that, but did he have any reason to suspect they were watching at all? I don't think Trunks mentioned or even knew about that.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

then gotenks beats up the bad guys.

Oh HELL yeah!

• Locked thread