Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Awesome! posted:

and the default sorting is good enough that i just use it exclusively.

this does not apply to the equipment box! the auto sorting there is retarded and i never use it

It's utterly retarded for armor sorting, yes, but I almost never make armor besides strict upgrades (I don't have a farming/egg armor set for instance) and the way it sorts weapons is fine so I still use default autosort

Also having watched the whole video I gotta say brad didn't do too bad, he didn't even cart once in his first large monster fight, which is all the more impressive considering that seltas is on the whole a but harder than g Jaggi

Also I thought Jason outside of explaining armor sets did a really good job explaining relevant systems to brad without overwhelming him, and also emphasized the most important rule of any mh newbie: if you're looking for something and don't know where it is or how to get it use a loving guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Man I don't get you people who sell poo poo, quests don't even cost money to take any more

It blows my fuckin mind that people would sell anything they find in this game, I've lost count of the number I've times I've needed an obscure bug or plant or low rank carve for something to ever even conceive of selling items I find

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Toxxupation posted:

Man I don't get you people who sell poo poo, quests don't even cost money to take any more

It blows my fuckin mind that people would sell anything they find in this game, I've lost count of the number I've times I've needed an obscure bug or plant or low rank carve for something to ever even conceive of selling items I find
When you get to the point where it's 60,000z for a weapon and 50,000z for a set of armor, and you're working on multiple weapons at once, you're going to run out of money. I've just started running some charms and you get lovely weapons you can sell for 20,000z a pop, so I'm hoping my money problems are over.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Elysiume posted:

When you get to the point where it's 60,000z for a weapon and 50,000z for a set of armor, and you're working on multiple weapons at once, you're going to run out of money. I've just started running some charms and you get lovely weapons you can sell for 20,000z a pop, so I'm hoping my money problems are over.

I'm already there and at 217k z :shrug:

If I ever needed cash I would just do any of the quests I skipped when skipping up to HR7 or do more caravan quests I hadn't done

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Etrips posted:

What's the fastest way to get some speed nectar? I've been selling all my nectar up until this point :(

The Wycoon sells Speed+ Nectar sometimes, if you're willing to spend caravan points on it. You don't need as much to level speed as you do the other stats, fortunately, but it's still kind of costly. Otherwise, just gather on missions and stock up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anyone got an easy way to get spider webs or nets? I can dupe them at the melder but that's all I've found.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just melding and farming every time you run past one

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Rascyc posted:

Anyone got an easy way to get spider webs or nets? I can dupe them at the melder but that's all I've found.

Wycoon sometimes sells Spider Web.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Jack Van Burace posted:

So I'm at a point now where I'm working on the Magala glaive and I need a few of shagaru's resources to upgrade it. Problem is, it has to be an HR shagaru magala and the only way I can see to get at him is to redo the HR7 urgent quest, which I just barely got through solo. Is there a better quest to fight him in or is that about it for the HR version?

Which resources, exactly? :shrug:

Rascyc posted:

The Wycoon sometimes sells them for cheap.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Toxxupation posted:

If I ever needed cash I would just do any of the quests I skipped when skipping up to HR7 or do more caravan quests I hadn't done
I don't know, I upgraded like seven weapons in a fairly short period of time and it cleaned me out. I just dropped another 160k on weapon upgrades, and can probably get the materials way before I get the money for the other weapons I want to upgrade.

e: I have 11 chargeblades and 2 bows

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Thanks. I guess that just leaves screamer sacs then for making sonic bombs as the only annoying combination for me. I'll meld dupe those.

Elysiume posted:

I don't know, I upgraded like seven weapons in a fairly short period of time and it cleaned me out. I just dropped another 160k on weapon upgrades, and can probably get the materials way before I get the money for the other weapons I want to upgrade.

e: I have 11 chargeblades and 2 bows
You can make a ton of money just selling monster parts.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 5, 2015

Pesayeth
Feb 28, 2015
Unfortunately that happens for a number of other upgrades as well, where certain monster parts are needed at specific ranks where they are unavailable. If online play is not a possibility for you, you have two options: Attempt to get a S. Magala Guild Quest and level it to high rank to farm it, or do the Caravaner's Challenge quest which can reward and carve high rank materials. The first option takes more preparation and luck, but the Caravaner's Challenge quest is quite difficult, even for those at low G Rank.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm trying to take up Gunlancing again. All of my current gunlances run out of green in about ten shells give or take, depending on how many hits I'm getting off, though. Is it reasonably okay to continue fighting in yellow sharpness until the monster buggers off and gives me space? That's a lot of sharpening to do if not. :(

Also, any particularly good gunlances to go for available to HR5/C7?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rascyc posted:

You can make a ton of money just selling monster parts.
That was how this conversation started.

Toxxupation posted:

Elysiume posted:

Toxxupation posted:

Quests give crap money for rewards, and it doesn't make sense to me to definitely run a quest now for money rather than selling some materials and maybe running a quest later if you realize you need them.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So now that I have access to almost every monster in the game and craft pretty much anything I feel like messing around with a few weapons I never really tried much. So I want to make a good Glaive (I can probably make the Chameleos one right now) and a good set of armor to go with it. What skills should I be looking out for in an IG set? I'll definitely grab S+1 and maybe throw some Mounting on it just for funsies but I'm not sure if there are others that are real good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Elysiume posted:

That was how this conversation started.

Quests give crap money for rewards, and it doesn't make sense to me to definitely run a quest now for money rather than selling some materials and maybe running a quest later if you realize you need them.
Well I guess people can always fish for coinperch :)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowbear posted:

So now that I have access to almost every monster in the game and craft pretty much anything I feel like messing around with a few weapons I never really tried much. So I want to make a good Glaive (I can probably make the Chameleos one right now) and a good set of armor to go with it. What skills should I be looking out for in an IG set? I'll definitely grab S+1 and maybe throw some Mounting on it just for funsies but I'm not sure if there are others that are real good.

Honed Blade/Sharpness+1, Razor Sharp, Evade+2, Evade Distance, maybe HG Earplugs. Standard stuff, basically; the IG is pretty straightforward and aggressive. Also from what I hear Chameleos is a very good glaive, so yeah, that's a good choice.

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
So, since i got to High rank I have changed the way I hunt. I pretty much never engage the monster while it is enraged unless I have an opportunity to to topple it.

I do have one question though. I it it better to try and trap the monster in order to damage it while it is angry, or should I wait until its rage has subsided. I don't know if they take less damage while angry but it does feel like they aren't trapped for as long when enraged.

Other than that, my hunts aren't actually taking any longer, in fact, I save time in some cases since i'm spending less time running and having to heal or get knocked around.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I have about 20 weapons I'd like to make and have the materials for but they're like 90k each so uh yeah money is kind of tight if you make a lot of poo poo

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Moon Man posted:

So, since i got to High rank I have changed the way I hunt. I pretty much never engage the monster while it is enraged unless I have an opportunity to to topple it.

I do have one question though. I it it better to try and trap the monster in order to damage it while it is angry, or should I wait until its rage has subsided. I don't know if they take less damage while angry but it does feel like they aren't trapped for as long when enraged.

Other than that, my hunts aren't actually taking any longer, in fact, I save time in some cases since i'm spending less time running and having to heal or get knocked around.

Getting a mount is the way to go on enraged monsters, you can trap them but it won't last as long as it normally would.

Speaking of enraged monsters does anyone have any tips for taking down Monoblos? I'm about halfway through building his armor set and every fight just feels awful, like I'm missing some really glaringly obvious trick.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Honed Blade/Sharpness+1, Razor Sharp, Evade+2, Evade Distance, maybe HG Earplugs. Standard stuff, basically; the IG is pretty straightforward and aggressive. Also from what I hear Chameleos is a very good glaive, so yeah, that's a good choice.

HG is cool, Windproof is cool too so you don't get blown back by the wings of monsters you're trying to jump at

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Moon Man posted:

Get armor with the Challenger skill so you get enraged along with the monster and :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Misandu posted:

Getting a mount is the way to go on enraged monsters, you can trap them but it won't last as long as it normally would.

Speaking of enraged monsters does anyone have any tips for taking down Monoblos? I'm about halfway through building his armor set and every fight just feels awful, like I'm missing some really glaringly obvious trick.

He's kindof a jerk, but I find he's not too bad if you mostly hang out under him or around his back legs. If I'm right under him I can usually just keep on comboing and he misses me with most of his attacks.

If he ever does the tell for his charge move, don't run away he's way faster than you are. You can try to run parallel, but he can actually adjust pretty well to keep up with you. I find the best strategy is actually to roll towards him right as he's getting close, slightly to the side. Once you're behind him he can't do anything until he stops and turns around.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Misandu posted:

B.L.O.S

Bring Lots Of Sonic bombs. Abuse shock traps when enraged. Use flash bombs to buy yourself space. Being able to block is nice. Go for the legs.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Internet Friend posted:

Get armor with the Challenger skill so you get enraged along with the monster and :getin:

that is a fun skill and I'm enjoying it immensely

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
loving rear end in a top hat motherfucker gore magala

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Misandu posted:

Probably too specific but I farmed the armor set using a Hunting Horn with hearing protection/attack L and paralysis damage and he was a chump. Hearing protection is super good on that fight for how often he roars and also because he's probably the first monster whose roar staggers for significantly longer than than the roar animation. The combo of HH KO damage and paralysis was pretty great and in my like 7 times fighting him I got quite a few mount->stun->paralysis chains that let me just beat the poo poo out of his horn.

The biggest thing I'd say is to really take advantage of the sand dune area which is usually the second place that he goes. You can do leaping attacks from both directions over the top of the dunes so just fight him at the top and mount him over and over.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I have spent roughly three million zenny on making 7 insect glaives, 2 bows, and fully upgrading two G-rank sets.

You will be selling your materials if you get serious about any sort of loadout.

PathAsc posted:

that is a fun skill and I'm enjoying it immensely

Challenger is easily one of the most 'efficient' armor skills you can run. Being a conditional boost means it's possibly not the best for any given situation, but you will get more mileage out of challenger (especially since it's got casual points on a variety of different sets) than many other offensive boosting skills in the game.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 6, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Emalde posted:

I have spent roughly three million zenny on making 7 insect glaives, 2 bows, and fully upgrading two G-rank sets.

You will be selling your materials if you get serious about any sort of loadout.

This. I haven't even fully built my Nargacuga X armor. 4 pieces, each upgraded to like level 5, and I've burnt well over 100k, with tons of room to level them more.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It might not be very good for HR..

But i'm so cute I don't even care :allears:

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Hypha posted:

Sonic Hermitaur when he is guarding for a stun effect.

Didn't know that one! That's great.

For selling parts, I always browse through all my parts and sell the excess for a quick few hundred thousand zenny. Like if I had 33 rathian scales, I'd sell down to where I keep 20 or 15 or so. I never sell absolutely all of a monster part, and also clearing out excess stacks of ores/crystals can make a quick buck if you've done a lot of farming.

Just never, ever sell earth crystals if you are ever considering upgrading an ancient shard weapon at some point.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
after switching to charge blade (using an arachnoscale) I tried one of those 7* hunt-a-thons and I was able to kill 8 kecha wecha in about 42 minutes

I think the charge blade is pretty good

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

cat doter posted:

after switching to charge blade (using an arachnoscale) I tried one of those 7* hunt-a-thons and I was able to kill 8 kecha wecha in about 42 minutes

I think the charge blade is pretty good

I finally added your fc, we should do some hunts together doter

I can lift your sorry rear end out of whatever HR hole you're in

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So i have an online friend ( Who i will refer to as T ).

T and i get going in monster hunter, and what we decide to do is blow through my Hunter Rating 1 stuff. Or so was the plan.

We get into the Gargwha egg delivery. We deliver two eggs no problem. Then we grab two more and head all the way to 1 when he stops and says:

T: "You know, its so tempting right now to just break my egg and launch you in the air"
Me: "Good thing youre not a dick then..."
T: *rolls and breaks his egg then launches me in the air with is greatsword*
Me: "You loving Prick! ( Laughing )"

*10 minutes of laughter later*

I end up chasing him down to prevent him from turning in a golden egg to complete the subquest, and finally after several broken eggs, we finish the quest.

I laughed so hard i could barely see.

TLDR: The Real Monsters In Monster Hunter Are Other People

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I finally added your fc, we should do some hunts together doter

I can lift your sorry rear end out of whatever HR hole you're in

do you have plat? I shot you a PM with my steam info too since it's easier to get a hold of me there

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Elysiume posted:

That might be worth giving up some heals for. Does anyone have that picture that shows the abilities your palico gets for each combination of first stringers?

e: Also is there a way to set palico loadouts because going to Sunsnug Isle before and after I go gathering is getting kind of tiresome.

Sorry for being late on this, but there's a Palico board in the back of your house in every town (even in Cheeko Sands).

I'm a career SA user (I've used it for maybe 150-175 hours across MHP3rd, MH3U, and MH4U) but I still feel like I'm hitting a skill wall. I love the weapon's mobility but I still have bad habits that I might be able to break if I branch into other weapons. I say this because I tried Hammer this morning against the first arena Kut-Ku and the drat thing carted me. I had a lot of fun slamming the doof's head in, but I found myself committing far too much in bad situations. Since Hammer's a slower and less mobile weapon, I figure I've become reliant on SA's dodging tech. It's just my style to run up to the monster and go nuts on them, but what are some other weapons I can branch off of that will help me learn to be a more careful hunter and thus be able to hit the monster more?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

cat doter posted:

do you have plat? I shot you a PM with my steam info too since it's easier to get a hold of me there

Yeah, just lazy, sorry dude, usually im not on steam too tho

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, just lazy, sorry dude, usually im not on steam too tho

not on steam!? then how are you supposed to play the best version of revengeance

also I don't see a friend request or anything, I dunno how this friend code poo poo works

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you each have to add the other person's friend code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Awesome! posted:

you each have to add the other person's friend code

I hate nintendo