Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

nuru posted:

Is there more to this "bone broth" bullshit than fleecing hipsters for all they can to sell them broth/stock?

Kobe Bryant's physical therapist said she made him "bone broth" and he recovers from injuries super fast because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pretty much all of the broth I've ever had is bone broth. Because I take bones. And I make broth out of them.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I think the fad has some merit. If I can get good soup in a coffee cup from a drive-thru window I'd support such an establishment.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

The time has come. Coconut Monkey can now release the long awaited Gravy Trader.

Ahh memories. :allears:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Republicans posted:

I think the fad has some merit. If I can get good soup in a coffee cup from a drive-thru window I'd support such an establishment.

Hearth! Big ol' cup for $4. I am about it; unsure whether August I will feel the same.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vegetable Melange posted:

unsure whether August I will feel the same.

Gazpacho time.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Someone should buy and operate this restaurant: http://westreammedia.com/ad_details/16511-Cape_Dorset_Korean_Restaurant_for_sale

It's like a $4000 flight directly north, each way, from southern Canada.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 6, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
"As of the 2006 census, the population was 1,236 an increase of 7.7% from the 2001 census."

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

"Professional Kitchen"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

"Professional Kitchen"

I've cooked in way worse kitchens.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've cooked in way worse kitchens.

But how can it be any kind of asian restaurant without a wok burner. HOW

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

But how can it be any kind of asian restaurant without a wok burner. HOW

It's in the NWT. No one there knows what a wok is, but will also not even flinch if you've just got an open fire (inside or out) with a ring over it to use for yours.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Pretty much all of the broth I've ever had is bone broth. Because I take bones. And I make broth out of them.

I love using beef knuckles to make the base for my pho broth. I wasn't aware that there are stocks that don't use bones. What do they use instead?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Secret Spoon posted:

I love using beef knuckles to make the base for my pho broth. I wasn't aware that there are stocks that don't use bones. What do they use instead?

I assume vegetable broth doesn't involve bones. Not sure if that counts here though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sex Hobbit posted:

I assume vegetable broth doesn't involve bones. Not sure if that counts here though.

Vegetable broth is still a broth. It's jus in a class by itself.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Was that a pun or a lucky typo

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Was that a pun or a lucky typo

I hope it was a pun. Its a good pun.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

nuru posted:

Is there more to this "bone broth" bullshit than fleecing hipsters for all they can to sell them broth/stock?

Aside from the angle of people who do not speak a single blessed word of italian calling it "brodo" and not "broth" because just drinking some goddamned broth made sometime this week is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy way way WAY too to-the-point in TYOOL 2015, where in order to compensate for the marvels our forbears have built for us at hellacious cost, we must act like the dumbest motherfuckers on earth?

Not really. It's refreshingly straightforward by food fad standards.

My first Actual Grownup Culinary job was in a cafe with a strong local emphasis. I miss that. I miss people eating poo poo grown in the county, or at least the state, and liking it. Local was a really fun gimmick and I hope it comes back. :(

pile of brown posted:

Kobe Bryant's physical therapist said she made him "bone broth" and he recovers from injuries super fast because of it.

"My client had a strained ligament, so I fed him some easily digestible protein and lipids and salt and water while he was resting and then he got better"

He got better? By eating BONES?!?!? WHAT IS THIS SORCERY

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Secret Spoon posted:

Yeah that's kind of :thejoke:

I know there are some Korean dishes designated as "both broth" or "bone soup", but I don't know what the difference is. In this case it sounds to me like someone found a clever way of marketing regular stock to shitheads who don't know how things are made, by appealing to the ongoing offal fads.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Secret Spoon posted:

I hope it was a pun. Its a good pun.

Thank you. It was deliberate.

Since we've got some experienced pastry chefs in here, I need some advice. Inspired by watching Masterchef Australia and New Zealand (both of those blow the US version out of the water), I've talked my roommate into attempting a Croquembouche as part of the side festivities for a dear friend's second wedding. In competition, they get three or three and a half hours to make one by themselves. We'll have two people and ample time, and are planning to do the caramel and spun sugar on-site after making pastry at home.

Any general advice other than "don't" ?
What's a really good choux pastry recipe ?
Any tips for our advance prep and transportation ?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mllaneza posted:

There's only one choux pastry recipe. Don't burn your loving fingertips off with the caramel, wear gloves, and make sure you have parchment paper taped down to everything so you don't have to scrub caramel off the floors/tables.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

have parchment paper taped down to everything so you don't have to scrub caramel off the floors/tables.

most important part for sure. fingertips can kind of grow back but you're never getting the time back that this can take!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Don't prematurely fill the pastry, or you will have a soggy time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Honest baby, this never happens, I swear!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mllaneza posted:

Thank you. It was deliberate.

Since we've got some experienced pastry chefs in here, I need some advice. Inspired by watching Masterchef Australia and New Zealand (both of those blow the US version out of the water), I've talked my roommate into attempting a Croquembouche as part of the side festivities for a dear friend's second wedding. In competition, they get three or three and a half hours to make one by themselves. We'll have two people and ample time, and are planning to do the caramel and spun sugar on-site after making pastry at home.

It's pretty ambitious unless you have a serious background in sugar art. Croquembouche is a bitch to assemble the first couple times because of the short workable time of the caramel and the massive structural failures that come from not getting it just right. I'd definitely make a practice one at home before trying to assemble one on-site at an event.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
The kitchen was pretty slow this afternoon so I had a good time playing with a new rare beef dish (which I will never be able to sell here). I'm enjoying these flat irons I'm pulling out of the shoulder clods I'm buying. Easy to work with and tasty.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's only one choux pastry recipe. Don't burn your loving fingertips off with the caramel, wear gloves, and make sure you have parchment paper taped down to everything so you don't have to scrub caramel off the floors/tables.

And keep a bowl of ice and water handy. Check.

I got horribly lucky when I went to taste my first batch of caramel a few years ago, running cold water knocked the caramel off my finger without taking skin or flesh with it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
On our old menu we had a mutant "cobb salad" which wasn't much of a cobb, but was quite tasty. It pissed off people who just wanted a regular cobb, though, so on the new menu we changed it back to the old cobb salad.

you're gonna want to grab a drink, a pencil and some scratch paper now because it gets a little odd here

The menu rollout got incredibly botched. With two hours notice the department head decided to do a "gradual rollout" whatever the gently caress that means, at first for the bar ONLY, not the restaurant 30 feet away. Then the new menu was brought to the restaurant... but only for lunch so in the midafternoon the new menu would dissolve and give way to the old reality.

We have been cooking two different menus for three food outlets and different times of the day for three months now and nobody can figure out why short of "enhanced interrogation" of the department head. There's just... no explanation, and it turns out that's a surprisingly intractable situation when your bosses boss decides explanation is for sissy gayboys.

So we have the old new cobb that was, and the new old cobb that is. The bar gets the new old cobb and the restaurant gets the old new cobb, unless its lunch and then the restaurant gets the new old cobb and room service gets the old new cobb unless they ask specifically for the new old cobb instead. We literally have a flow chart fixed to the pantry side to keep track of it in the moment.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have hosed up cobb salad. Death to America. :happyelf:

---

In related news I now have to work 7 days straight to cover the slumpsous' three day weekend. So, uh, yeah. Time to go. Not that it hasn't been a pleasure, 'cause it hasn't.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Willie, why haven't your crew dragged the department head into the walk in and beaten him with an onion wrapped in a service towel yet? I mean, the prep for that many menus has to be murdering food cost and labor at least a little bit, for no reason.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Willie, why haven't your crew dragged the department head into the walk in and beaten him with an onion wrapped in a service towel yet? I mean, the prep for that many menus has to be murdering food cost and labor at least a little bit, for no reason.

Its a heads in beds hotel, they could give a gently caress less about food cost.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Menu change time!! Brisket can kiss my white hairy rear end... It's out the loving door.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
mods pls namechange to "Brodo Faggins", thank

Liquid Communism posted:

Because it'll be difficult to get another job with an assault charge, the hotel owner has Greg Abbott on speed dial, and I'm too pretty for jail.

There's a lot of people gonna leave soon on account of different flavors of the same poo poo sundae and I don't want to be one of them, I really don't, I really want to give things a chance to get better. I am just savvy enough at this point in the game to recognize thats The Depress making me feel like I deserve this, somehow. I'm pretty sure I don't, though!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Menu change time!! Brisket can kiss my white hairy rear end... It's out the loving door.

SEE NOW THATS HOW YOU DO A loving MENU CHANGE RIGHT THERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgjaeHGi9IA

So......... pulled pork, then? :unsmigghh:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

mllaneza posted:

I got horribly lucky when I went to taste my first batch of caramel a few years ago, running cold water knocked the caramel off my finger without taking skin or flesh with it.

A dude in my school's baking program did that too. He managed to drag his molten caramel-covered finger across the side of his mouth when he realized this was too hot to put in it so he ended up with kind of a glasgow half-smile scar on his cheek and one gnarly finger.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Was going through my phone just now while telling stories and came across this gem: I got a pan seared salmon order (side spinach only, hes watching his figure) sent back because it wasn't "well done enough" except it *was* well done. It was too well done but whatever I remake it and gently caress that fish up, burn it so hard that the sear doesn't have any texture beneath the slimy smutty layer of albumen so thick I may as well have whipped out my dick and jizzed on it. That got sent back too. So we flip poo poo, and put our heads together on how to deal with this because now we're getting creative while being loving pissed off. We take ANOTHER entree portion and microwave it for four minutes, then we cover it in oil and throw it on the grill to bask in a mighty flareup for three minutes a side, then we finish it under a loving creme brulee torch. It is the only time in my career I have purposely hosed with a customer's meal because of emotions. It looked like this going out:

Homie sneers at the server that it took three tries to get salmon "right"

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is it weird that I think that looks pretty good? I love a black and blue steak but I'll tolerate up to medium well if the charred crust is nice and thick.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

Is it weird that I think that looks pretty good? I love a black and blue steak but I'll tolerate up to medium well if the charred crust is nice and thick.

I mean, you read what he did underneath that "crust", right? What in the actual gently caress, ahahaha.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Willie Tomg posted:

Was going through my phone just now while telling stories and came across this gem: I got a pan seared salmon order (side spinach only, hes watching his figure) sent back because it wasn't "well done enough" except it *was* well done. It was too well done but whatever I remake it and gently caress that fish up, burn it so hard that the sear doesn't have any texture beneath the slimy smutty layer of albumen so thick I may as well have whipped out my dick and jizzed on it. That got sent back too. So we flip poo poo, and put our heads together on how to deal with this because now we're getting creative while being loving pissed off. We take ANOTHER entree portion and microwave it for four minutes, then we cover it in oil and throw it on the grill to bask in a mighty flareup for three minutes a side, then we finish it under a loving creme brulee torch. It is the only time in my career I have purposely hosed with a customer's meal because of emotions. It looked like this going out:

Homie sneers at the server that it took three tries to get salmon "right"

Incredible. I wonder if that guy cooks his fish in his dishwasher at home.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had a regular customer once who wanted his steaks well done to the max. He was never happy until one time, out of spite, we microwaved and deep fried his steak before throwing it on the char broiler. He never found out what we did, but he asked us to do it like that every time, so we did.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

What is going on with the 9th pans behind that counter? Some of them are just partially wrapped and on ice? Is that asparagus jammed in the ice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

infiniteguest posted:

What is going on with the 9th pans behind that counter? Some of them are just partially wrapped and on ice? Is that asparagus jammed in the ice?

The hotel refuses to put in proper refrigeration, so they fill an old hot well with ice 3 times a day. It may be the most mismanaged property in the company, but has almost 100% occupancy year round, so nobody in corporate seems to care.

• Locked thread