Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

Is there any special trigger for the office theft messages? I didn't steal anything this game but I'm at the last visit to SI and still got the office bandit e-mails.

You're not the one stealing office supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shumagorath posted:

Is there any special trigger for the office theft messages? I didn't steal anything this game but I'm at the last visit to SI and still got the office bandit e-mails.

There is also an actual office bandit, which is where the first email in the chain comes from in the first place. Jensen just, er, contributes to the matter, which causes you to get more than you would if you didn't do anything. :v:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

CJacobs posted:

There is also an actual office bandit, which is where the first email in the chain comes from in the first place. Jensen just, er, contributes to the matter, which causes you to get more than you would if you didn't do anything. :v:

Is that the same guy who is stealing Nu-Poz?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does the integrated Missing Link account for the fact I'm coming in with way more than eight Praxis points? I got all my weapons and loose mods back but my augs are a loving mess now.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

You guys might get a kick out of this. So Eidos had that joint GDC "sponsored session" where they showed off the new TressFX 3.0 technology (as part of the Dawn Engine for the next Deus Ex projects). For whatever reason Vice's Motherboard covered this and released a couple screenshots.

:wtc:

I never asked for this haircut

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't remember any lines from IW being memorable at all besides the chamber boy one, so not sure if it has an analog or not.

i dont remember a single line from invisible war but there are certain parts of it that are stuck in my minds eye as well as anything from the first dx. the coffee houses, the virtual pop star, the reveal of the heads of the illumaniti, the omar, and etc.

invisible war is a flawed game but i dont think its as bad as people say. its much better than the new thief game, especially on dry turf

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fix the augs being lame, the maps being cut into itty-bitty pieces for the sake of the Xbox, and the universal ammo system and you have a pretty solid game.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Blue Raider posted:

i dont remember a single line from invisible war but there are certain parts of it that are stuck in my minds eye as well as anything from the first dx. the coffee houses, the virtual pop star, the reveal of the heads of the illumaniti, the omar, and etc.

invisible war is a flawed game but i dont think its as bad as people say. its much better than the new thief game, especially on dry turf

FWIW, the virtual pop star NG Resonance was voiced by Free Dominguez, who is the singer for the industrial band Kidneythieves. I remember one of their songs being used in a preview trailer for the game, and I want to say any time you hear one of NG Resonance's songs in the game, it's one of theirs. They unfortunately haven't released anything in a couple years, but it does make me wonder what music will actually sound like in 50 years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holo NG wasnt too bothered by the brutal murder of real NG by a crazed cyborg.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't remember any lines from IW being memorable at all besides the chamber boy one, so not sure if it has an analog or not.

The chamber boy line only happens if you play as a male Alex D. It was the first time I'd ever seen homosexuality in a videogame, to give them credit.

Volt Catfish posted:

the maps being cut into itty-bitty pieces for the sake of the Xbox

This had more to do with the engine being lovely and unfinished because they guy who was developing it left the company and they were too far into development to switch engines so they just had to make do. It's so bad that switching maps makes the entire executable close and relaunch (which is why the screen flickers when you play it on PC and why your difficulty setting resets every time you enter a new area) and every weapon uses the exact same texture file :pseudo:

SpelledBackwards posted:

FWIW, the virtual pop star NG Resonance was voiced by Free Dominguez, who is the singer for the industrial band Kidneythieves. I remember one of their songs being used in a preview trailer for the game, and I want to say any time you hear one of NG Resonance's songs in the game, it's one of theirs. They unfortunately haven't released anything in a couple years, but it does make me wonder what music will actually sound like in 50 years.

The same Free Dominguez who worked on the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance soundtrack? :monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaQK63HqgPw

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Sleeveless posted:

The chamber boy line only happens if you play as a male Alex D. It was the first time I'd ever seen homosexuality in a videogame, to give them credit.
Likewise not counting cheesecake lesbian bondage in GTA III. But against DX:IW's credit, it was presented only as deviant behavior.

quote:

The same Free Dominguez who worked on the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance soundtrack? :monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaQK63HqgPw
I guess so! She also guested on a recent KMFDM album. I just assumed all this time that the female voice I heard was the band member Lucia, until I read more recently that it was Free.

Sigh, Metal Gear is a series of games I've never played since the original NES, and I'm worried I'll never get to experience all their greatness since I have no access to any new or old Sony consoles. Maybe I should seek out some LPs that span the 20 years I've been missing out on... just bought GTA SA, VC, and IV over the holidays on a Steam sale. I've got 15 years to catch up on there since the first three GTA games. :dukedog:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SynthOrange posted:

Holo NG wasnt too bothered by the brutal murder of real NG by a crazed cyborg.
She wasn't too bothered by much of anything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Omar were fantastic. They gave you the same discount for everything from a common delivery job to handing over the planet. :allears:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Blue Raider posted:

Looked at strictly on it's own, Invisible War is a decent shooter/RPG with some flaws. As a sequel to the original Deus Ex, it sucks donkey anus.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

This had more to do with the engine being lovely and unfinished because they guy who was developing it left the company and they were too far into development to switch engines so they just had to make do. It's so bad that switching maps makes the entire executable close and relaunch (which is why the screen flickers when you play it on PC and why your difficulty setting resets every time you enter a new area) and every weapon uses the exact same texture file :pseudo:
Wait... as in different spots on a single texture map file for each weapon, or the same exact texture for each weapon? I never noticed the difficulty reset. As for the engine, what I heard was that the guy wrote an amazing lighting system (as shown off by that little statue and the overturned lamp in the Trier apartment) but it ran like total rear end if you lit a room bigger than a shoebox.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

Likewise not counting cheesecake lesbian bondage in GTA III. But against DX:IW's credit, it was presented only as deviant behavior.

I guess so! She also guested on a recent KMFDM album. I just assumed all this time that the female voice I heard was the band member Lucia, until I read more recently that it was Free.

Sigh, Metal Gear is a series of games I've never played since the original NES, and I'm worried I'll never get to experience all their greatness since I have no access to any new or old Sony consoles. Maybe I should seek out some LPs that span the 20 years I've been missing out on... just bought GTA SA, VC, and IV over the holidays on a Steam sale. I've got 15 years to catch up on there since the first three GTA games. :dukedog:

Metal Gear's started coming out on PC recently, including REVENGEANCE, the game in question.

You should play it. It's sort of like Deus Ex, after all. You're a cyborg, you can sneak or fight through multiple areas, non-lethal takedowns, optional lengthy conversations with AIs on the subject of consciousness...

It's just instead of slowly planning your approach to a level, you rush in and stab everyone to the greatest game soundtrack ever. Of all time.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Wait... as in different spots on a single texture map file for each weapon, or the same exact texture for each weapon? I never noticed the difficulty reset. As for the engine, what I heard was that the guy wrote an amazing lighting system (as shown off by that little statue and the overturned lamp in the Trier apartment) but it ran like total rear end if you lit a room bigger than a shoebox.

All of the weapons use the same texture sheet, but certain parts are used in different ways.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
To respond to my own whining about Missing Link and Praxis points earlier: I didn't realize that the section was still meant to be played Factory Zero so taking away all your augs was kind of a balance issue. When I got everything back at the end it was loving comical how much stuff had to be left on the floor.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Completed the original Deus Ex with no mods. Very fun and very solid game. Now replaying through it with Biomod but with shifter's skill rewards activated.

But my 1st priority will be to finish Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Shumagorath posted:

To respond to my own whining about Missing Link and Praxis points earlier: I didn't realize that the section was still meant to be played Factory Zero so taking away all your augs was kind of a balance issue. When I got everything back at the end it was loving comical how much stuff had to be left on the floor.

Theoretically it's an nice opportunity to re-spec your augs, but you're probably Cyborg King Of The Universe anyway by that point.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

blackguy32 posted:

Completed the original Deus Ex with no mods. Very fun and very solid game. Now replaying through it with Biomod but with shifter's skill rewards activated.

And after that... The Nameless Mod.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Prenton posted:

Theoretically it's an nice opportunity to re-spec your augs, but you're probably Cyborg King Of The Universe anyway by that point.
It is nice, but apart from using the wall-punching aug once in desperation I don't think my approach to solving problems was going to change radically. My approach is to keep Praxis points in reserve until I run up against a scenario that a particular aug makes easier, and I found I turned the same essentials on very quickly.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is Foxiest of the Hounds bugged in the Director's Cut? I just finished it and could have sworn I never set off an alarm. Would shooting a camera count? 2% of players have it so I must have done something wrong.

Guess I'll be doing a commentary run in NG instead of NG+ as I heard it definitely doesn't work there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

Biomod but with shifter's skill rewards activated.

Whoa whoa whoa, whats up?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
HR was a lot worse for the lack of some Dragon Tooth Sword equivalent weapon. Having a cut scene every takedown didn't count. The fully upgraded pistol + the cover system is maybe my favourite gun in any game though

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you're going to have swords and don't want to implement a Jedi Knight / Ninja Gaiden combat system then canned animations are just fine. DX1 and IW's melee wasn't any better than HR, especially if it's a single click or keystroke to kill in the case of the Dragon's Tooth.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

you should play invisible war too. its flawed as gently caress but very much in the canon and made by many of the same ppl as the first

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jose posted:

HR was a lot worse for the lack of some Dragon Tooth Sword equivalent weapon. Having a cut scene every takedown didn't count. The fully upgraded pistol + the cover system is maybe my favourite gun in any game though

A fully upgraded pistol/revolver basically turns the game into Alpha Protocol. Crouch behind cover, shoot 10 guys in the head from behind the cover instantly, and then trundle forward until the next cutscene dialogue battle. Of course, HR has the benefit of being a good video game as well, but still.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i always felt like hr could use another hub area. i know there were a few planned that didnt make the cut unfortunately.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I didn't mind the takedown animations, but I can understand why they didn't go with things like actual melee attack animations. It can look really weird. Even in a first person melee game like Dishonored, which does it fairly well, it can still look pretty goofy unless you're just doing back stabs with locked animations, like the takedowns, but without the cutscene teleport.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, whats up?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unified-deus-ex.

I had to tinker with the ini file a little bit but it works.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

The punch through walls augmentation was cool but it would have been cooler if you could upgrade it to punch through doors as well

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Taking the melee and speed augs and being a baton-wielding, bionic EMP killing machine in Invisible War was fun. I wish someone would unfuck the engine like people are doing with Deadly Shadows. :(

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TWIST FIST posted:

The punch through walls augmentation was cool but it would have been cooler if you could upgrade it to punch through doors as well

it was a gimmick, albeit one i enjoyed greatly

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Shumagorath posted:

Is Foxiest of the Hounds bugged in the Director's Cut? I just finished it and could have sworn I never set off an alarm. Would shooting a camera count? 2% of players have it so I must have done something wrong.

Guess I'll be doing a commentary run in NG instead of NG+ as I heard it definitely doesn't work there.

The wiki says that destroying a camera nullifies the award, yes. Interestingly, the EMP grenade is OK.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Holy poo poo, that speech analyzer thing is cool.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fuschia tude posted:

The wiki says that destroying a camera nullifies the award, yes. Interestingly, the EMP grenade is OK.

I also think (didn't see it mentioned in that wiki) that all the tripmines in the Missing Link chapter can nullify the trophy. I'm pretty sure I didn't destroy any cameras but I know I destroyed one or two of those mines around and it's the only thing I can think of that hosed up my trophy (PS3)

Got it on the regular edition, couldn't get it on the director's cut.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Taking the melee and speed augs and being a baton-wielding, bionic EMP killing machine in Invisible War was fun. I wish someone would unfuck the engine like people are doing with Deadly Shadows. :(

I don't think it's even possible to mod Invivisble War because of how it was coded.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

you should play invisible war too. its flawed as gently caress but very much in the canon and made by many of the same ppl as the first

Why was it hated so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They realized how much people liked hiding in Paul's closet so they made every level that size.

• Locked thread