Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

boxen posted:

Double check the fine print on your coupons... all of the ones I've seen lately aren't valid for "tool storage" items.

Ah, crap, you're right. There goes the 20% off coupon. The coupon on the black cart is specifically for the black cart, so no worries there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Uthor posted:

Ah, crap, you're right. There goes the 20% off coupon. The coupon on the black cart is specifically for the black cart, so no worries there.

Reminder that this sort of thing is based on how much the cashier happens to give a gently caress. Act innocent and they might let you through. Worst case, you say "actually I guess I'd rather get something else, then" and go get the black one for which you have a coupon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Be charming, smile and joke with the cashier and they almost always let you use the 20% off on top of the sale price. You just can't stack coupons.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, there's a HF near me that always has clueless teenagers working and chatting away on their cell phones at the register. When I finally decide to bite the bullet on a 44" or 56" toolbox, I'm going to go late on a weekday and bring a 20% off coupon, just in case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

I was going to get myself a HF tool cart because my tool box is maxed out. I got a coupon in the mail for the 4 drawer black cart for $108 and a 20% off coupon that would make the 5 drawer red cart $152.

I don't really need the extra space that the red cart affords, but I'm wondering if it would be higher enough quality to justify the $44.

Thoughts?

Depends on what you're using it for/what your future plans are. I bought the black cart recently to put JUST my "regular" tools in, and keep all the specialty stuff/duplicates in my regular boxes. I've started pimping it out with poo poo, so I have even more storage space. Still not 100% sure I like where everything is at, but I'll figure that out eventually.

FYI there's a multi-year-running thread on GarageJournal about pimping these carts. Some of the idea are pretty good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, that's like twice as much tools as I currently own.

I'm outgrowing my current tool box that I've had for like a decade, and only because I picked up few torque wrenches and impact sockets and a couple of Big loving Hammers.

I think that will suit me fine for now as long as it's not going to just fall to pieces. I don't really want to dedicate the space or money for a big box that I'm going to only use like 20% of.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yeah, that's like twice as much tools as I currently own.

I'm outgrowing my current tool box that I've had for like a decade, and only because I picked up few torque wrenches and impact sockets and a couple of Big loving Hammers.

I think that will suit me fine for now as long as it's not going to just fall to pieces. I don't really want to dedicate the space or money for a big box that I'm going to only use like 20% of.

Then go for the cart. Plenty of space to put your current box on the bottom shelf for "overflow" if you need it later.

And it's pretty solid - I'm not at all concerned about it holding up, although I was before I got it. I asked on here and found the GJ thread before I bought the thing.

It even comes with drawer liners. So you're pretty much good to go right out of the box

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Motronic posted:

It even comes with drawer liners. So you're pretty much good to go right out of the box

Score! I was already thinking about how to keep everything organized. I have (poorly) cutout foam right now to keep stuff from rolling around, but I like those bins you are using.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm kinda torn on tool storage. I really want the HF 44" box. With all the poo poo I've acquired, I think I could fill most of it and really appreciate having the organization. The thing is, I don't really have a second set for mobile use. Every time I want to hit the yard, I'd have to move a bunch of tools into a bag or the original blow-mold case. I guess that's not a huge deal as I'm not really making weekly trips anymore, but it would be a pain in the rear end every time I had to move them. The 44" HF box is down to $349 this weekend though and my tax return is going to be showing up before too long. I've got a pretty good spot in the garage for it, but it's currently being occupied by an engine and transmission. That should be out of the way in a month or so, though. Decisions...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Motronic posted:

FYI there's a multi-year-running thread on GarageJournal about pimping these carts. Some of the idea are pretty good.

Link?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Guess what quote isn't.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I didn't like the red cart because the lid didn't go all the way vertical, it only opened like 80 or 85 degrees. Did not appear to be mis-assembled. Black one is a nice height, too.

Re: drawer liners: someone on GJ once recommended yoga mats, which turned out fantastic. They're oil resistant (:btroll:) and tough. I get mine at Five Below, which means they cost way less than what Harbor Freight wants for liners, and they come in about 30 colors (some are only seasonal though).

There's a joke in there about yoga people and tools but I'm not smart today. v:v:v

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 6, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, I was too lazy to find it earlier.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137365

Splizwarf posted:

I didn't like the red cart because the lid didn't go all the way vertical, it only opened like 80 or 85 degrees. Did not appear to be mis-assembled. Black one is a nice height, too.

There's a fix for that. It's in the thread. Snap on hinges that fit directly, and they're only like $16.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks, I don't live in the land of harbor freight but inspiration is always nice.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Thanks, I don't live in the land of harbor freight but inspiration is always nice.

I'm sure Machine Mart do similar stuff here. Or someone like Sealey or Draper will sell similar.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Question for any one who knows more than me.

I have found an air compressor that attaches to my folks JD 110 garden tractor, the tank is in good shape, but the compressor is hosed. I need to replace it but I need an Air powered head unloader.

It looks like this --->

I have no idea where to begin searching for this, as the compressors themselves are rare as gently caress. Luckily the tank is in decent shape.

If you're just looking to make it work rather than a factory restoration and you aren't afraid of a little fab, there's a couple sealed-shaft compressors in the Bendix catalog that would work, use an air governor and look vaguely correct if painted green. But beyond that I'm not much of a tractor guy, I know there's a couple around here though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This is not chat. Opps.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 7, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I went and bought the black four drawer tool cart, woo! Unpacked it and there's a lovely spot of rust on the front poking out through the paint, boo!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tommychu posted:

If you're just looking to make it work rather than a factory restoration and you aren't afraid of a little fab, there's a couple sealed-shaft compressors in the Bendix catalog that would work, use an air governor and look vaguely correct if painted green. But beyond that I'm not much of a tractor guy, I know there's a couple around here though.

That's exactly what I need. I'll do some digging. I don't need factory perfect but it would be nice for portable air.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I unpack in the store or out front on the sidewalk, I don't give a gently caress how big it is. Trying to return something for damage after it's left the store isn't my cup of tea.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

I unpack in the store or out front on the sidewalk, I don't give a gently caress how big it is. Trying to return something for damage after it's left the store isn't my cup of tea.

Yeah, I didn't think about it. I picked the box that wasn't torn to shreds, so was assuming it was fine inside. I had a friend help me get it home; gonna try to load it back up into my car by myself to take it back.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Anyone here ever use or hear of Grey Pneumatic sockets? They are super cheap on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Grey-Pneumatic-1226M-26-Piece-Length/dp/B003TSS4I0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425702602&sr=8-2&keywords=grey+pneumatic

Im most likely going to buy a few sets because I just cant justify spending a stack on sockets from Snappy even tho thats where I got all my chromies from.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 7, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Preoptopus posted:

Anyone here ever use or hear of Grey Pneumatic sockets? They are super cheap on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Grey-Pneumatic-1226M-26-Piece-Length/dp/B003TSS4I0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425702602&sr=8-2&keywords=grey+pneumatic

Im most likely going to buy a few sets because I just cant justify spending a stack on sockets from Snappy even tho thats where I got all my chromies from.

Only ever heard very good things about them.

I wouldn't bother buying Snap-on impact sockets. I have a few sets and they're really not all that. They're quite soft and they rust loving instantly, despite their black oxide coating. My 8-year-old cheap Genius impact sockets are in MUCH better condition overall than my 3-year-old Snap-on impacts.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Honestly, all my HF impact sockets have held up wonderfully to YEARS of abuse. There's no point in spending the extra money.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

I haven't used them, but I have all their duo socket sets in my wish list. I've heard nothing but good things about all of their stuff.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That's exactly what I need. I'll do some digging. I don't need factory perfect but it would be nice for portable air.

They're also a fairly modular design, so you could get one straight out of a truck junkyard and convert it to a sealed-shaft with just a drive end plate and seal, but a lot of these things (especially the higher output ones) use a tapered shaft so it's a bit of a crap shoot vs. just calling a shop like mine and saying "gimme a sealed straight-shaft TF550". But these things are a bit pricey so the junkyard route has its merits there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tommychu posted:

They're also a fairly modular design, so you could get one straight out of a truck junkyard and convert it to a sealed-shaft with just a drive end plate and seal, but a lot of these things (especially the higher output ones) use a tapered shaft so it's a bit of a crap shoot vs. just calling a shop like mine and saying "gimme a sealed straight-shaft TF550". But these things are a bit pricey so the junkyard route has its merits there.

I didn't even think about looking in a junkyard at the heavy duty trucks. I just picked up a welder, and maybe after some practice and getting confident, I could make something. Worst case scenario, I can just now rework every thing, I at least have the brackets that it mounts on to the machine with, so its just a matter of fiddling.

Edit: The bigger reason why I am trying to rebuild this is for the CFM, a gas motor seems to outwork an electric in terms of duty cycle. It would be nice to find something that will allow me to run a sand blaster - if I can get the CFM up to what I need it to be.

Edit again: I was just looking at the HP ratings, and the biggest model only uses 6 HP and 31.2 CFM - but didnt say the pressure, I am assuming 90.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 7, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

but didnt say the pressure, I am assuming 90.

Air brake systems normally run 120, but they're externally governed and you can get adjustable ones that go from 90-135 depending on model. Nice thing is all the Bendix compressors have a couple little flanges where you can bolt a D-2 with a gasket but the hole is also tapped for 1/8" NPT so you can remote mount it if you like.
e:And actually most of these are going to flow a little less than the spec says since they're designed to take air from the intake of the truck, after the turbo and intercooler for a little bump in efficiency. Might not be great for a blaster, but still likely a lot better than the one that's on there.
e2: the more I think about this the worse of an idea it gets; most of these things are designed to take an oil feed from the engine. There were some older ones that were totally independent, but I'm betting they're NLA or hard to find.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 7, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Eric the car guy did some pretty good reviews on them. Also like everyone else has said the HF 3/8 impacts are pretty good. Ive abused them with my impact many times. But I got an older PRO set from HF and now I never see the PRO 3/8s set. Also Oriellys cares the PRO version of what harbor freight has and is only a little more expensive. Almost at Grey Pneumatics level. To be honest I like the way the Grey Pneumatic stuff looks so im probably buying that 3/8s kit to replace my work set and bring the work sockets home.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just bought a $45 soldering station because I needed to do some audio gear repairs, and it's actually surprisingly not crap! It's got digital temperature control and low-voltage supply to the iron and everything, unlike the really cheap junk that just switches mains voltage on and off semi-randomly, directly to the iron.

Mine is branded "Selekta", but I've seen identical units with all kinds of different branding at widely varying price levels (up to $100). Apparently they're made by a company called Solomon, which I hope makes getting replacement parts a little less impossible than with no-name gear from China. From the looks of things, it takes standard-sized tips that also fit other non-magnastat/non-ceramic irons.

Now I'm gonna repair the poo poo out of my Technics turntable, hell yeah :science:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SouthsideSaint posted:

Eric the car guy did some pretty good reviews on them. Also like everyone else has said the HF 3/8 impacts are pretty good. Ive abused them with my impact many times. But I got an older PRO set from HF and now I never see the PRO 3/8s set. Also Oriellys cares the PRO version of what harbor freight has and is only a little more expensive. Almost at Grey Pneumatics level. To be honest I like the way the Grey Pneumatic stuff looks so im probably buying that 3/8s kit to replace my work set and bring the work sockets home.

If its good enough for Eric, its good enough for me :)

My main problem with HF stuff is that they are super thick walled. And if you actually look at them, you will see inconsistencies with thickness meaning one side of the socket will be a lot thicker than the other.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

If its good enough for Eric, its good enough for me :)

My main problem with HF stuff is that they are super thick walled. And if you actually look at them, you will see inconsistencies with thickness meaning one side of the socket will be a lot thicker than the other.

You are correct with that. But luckily all the pro 1/2 sockets don't have that problem. the 3/8 definitely does .

In other news I just went to sears and spent 50$ and got ten metric gearwrenchs and ten SAE gearwrenchs. A super good deal considering HF sells there's for 25$ for 6 I paid 25 for ten.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Faaark... Ratcheting spammers START at $15 a pop for one that's not going to shear instantly down here. :(

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ferremit posted:

Faaark... Ratcheting spammers START at $15 a pop for one that's not going to shear instantly down here. :(

What's your import tax like if you get some sent over?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If there was a way to do it, I'd send yah a box full of cheap quality tools.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I'm going to be doing some engine work on my car which requires removing the harmonic balancer, and my standard type puller simply won't work as the balancer on the LS engine has no threaded holes. I've never been a fan of loaner tools, so I've been shopping around for a 3-jaw puller set.

I'm kinda torn between this one for just over $50

And this one by OTC for about the same price, just without a case or the extra ring piece, which I don't think I'll need anyway.

Decisions, decisions....

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I haven't had to do that work myself yet, though between the two I'd lean toward OTC. I'm not a fan of noname "Professional" Grade stuff, and the OTC one has its own product info and, more importantly, service/support and replacement parts http://www.otctools.com/products/harmonic-balancer-puller#sthash.vdd2ZGh3.dpuf

The OTC one's also sold directly from Amazon, whereas the other is only by third party sellers. There's nothing wrong with third party sellers, but you need to remember that it's basically eBay with a suit and tie at that point. If it doesn't work for you, you'll have a much easier time doing a return if you order straight from Amazon itself

e: And as a bonus, the site gave me a good laugh. Their first entry under the "Specialty Tools" header is a 10lb sledgehammer

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 9, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Root Bear posted:

I'm going to be doing some engine work on my car which requires removing the harmonic balancer, and my standard type puller simply won't work as the balancer on the LS engine has no threaded holes. I've never been a fan of loaner tools, so I've been shopping around for a 3-jaw puller set.

I'm kinda torn between this one for just over $50

And this one by OTC for about the same price, just without a case or the extra ring piece, which I don't think I'll need anyway.

Decisions, decisions....

Get the OTC one. That tool in the other kit is specifically for Chrysler engines, from memory.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was using my Dremel when the cutting disk broke and a piece flew across the room, bounced off the wall, and got me right in the nose. Hopefully that will learn me to wear safety goggles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Uthor posted:

I was using my Dremel when the cutting disk broke and a piece flew across the room, bounced off the wall, and got me right in the nose. Hopefully that will learn me to wear safety goggles...

Facemask...