Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I saw some tweets mentioning a wing coming off, that would explain the "fuel leak". Not confirmed as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Still, I thought the East Coast would be more hosed...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well, that looks like a write-off.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

Did ground get a hold of the plane?

I didn't hear. Though I didn't finish the entire recording.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, that looks like a write-off.

and the passengers in row 36 are probably happy about that outcome, all things considered

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
Looks like there might be some cheap slightly used A380s on the market soon*, Emirates wants to ditch their current inventory in favour of a 200 plane fleet of XWB powered A380neos.

https://news.yahoo.com/emirates-airline-eyes-order-50-70-a350-787-091203298--sector.html

* Well, 20 years or so, when airbus can finally deliver them

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mazz posted:

Great post for a pictures thread but couple things to sperg on as befitting the thread:

- I don't think any of the Hs still have the M61s in them anymore, probably due to effective range issues. Neither the U or the Js ever had them.
- They are dropping the 40mm in favor of a 30mm in the Js because IIRC they have regular ammo issues as it's not ubiquitous anymore.
- The AWACS doesn't do SIGINT, the various RC-135s or EC-130s handle that.
- Not sure the current AC-130s have much more in the way of intelligence then a couple FLIR balls and the appropriate radios. The 130Ws might.
- The upcoming 130J is adding a side mounted radar alongside wing pylons for small diameter bombs, plus a ramp based griffin/viper strike system. The J is a whole lot more dangerous then the Hs or Us.

Out of curiousity what is the protocol for when they run out of letters to designate variants?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Did ground get a hold of the plane?

Eventually it always does.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Eej posted:

Out of curiousity what is the protocol for when they run out of letters to designate variants?
Block numbers or a new designator, I'd imagine. Missiles can have a configuration number (e.g. AIM-120C-7).

The only ones really in trouble are the AIM-9X Sidewinder and AH-1Z Viper.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Godholio posted:

Eventually it always does.

Most of the time, anyway.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

phongn posted:

Block numbers or a new designator, I'd imagine. Missiles can have a configuration number (e.g. AIM-120C-7).

AH-1ZZ Top Viper.

you're welcome.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Eej posted:

Not entirely sure, the Huey and Cobra as mentioned are probably going to hit that wall soon enough, so we'll have to see.

For the AC-130 though its really just the A, H, U, W, and J I think. They jumped around because the SOCOM birds had the U and W designation IIRC (MC-130W and the AC-130W are interchangable, like the Harvest Hawks), and the H/J are standard hercs.

Psion posted:

AH-1ZZ Top Viper.

you're welcome.

:hfive:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SybilVimes posted:

Looks like there might be some cheap slightly used A380s on the market soon*, Emirates wants to ditch their current inventory in favour of a 200 plane fleet of XWB powered A380neos.

https://news.yahoo.com/emirates-airline-eyes-order-50-70-a350-787-091203298--sector.html

* Well, 20 years or so, when airbus can finally deliver them

And if you want to be ready to fly them, go to a mall in Abu Dhabi.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

And in other breaking aviation news...

quote:

Harrison Ford Seriously Injured in Plane Crash
Actor Harrison Ford was seriously injured Thursday when a vintage World War II training plane he was piloting crash landed on a Mar Vista, California, golf course.

The actor was stabilized and taken to a local hospital. Sources said he sustained cuts to head. There was no word on other injuries or what caused the plane to crash. It appeared he was flying solo.

His injuries were originally described as "critical," but sources emphasized they are better characterized as serious, including lacerations to the head and possible fractures.

Howard Tabe, an employee at the Penmar Golf Course, said 'There was blood all over his face ... Two very fine doctors were treating him, taking good care of him. I helped put a blanket under his hip."

The plane crashed on the golf course just west of the airport shortly after takeoff from the Santa Monica Airport, according to Ian Gregor of the Federal Aviation Administration, NBC Los Angeles reported.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/harrison-ford-injured-plane-crash-n318301

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

quote:

The actor was stabilized and taken to a local hospital. Sources said he sustained cuts to head. There was no word on other injuries or what caused the plane to crash. It appeared he was flying solo.

Really? Trying to figure out of that's an unfortunate pun or intentional.

Edit:

Oh man, the LAFD tweet is even better.

quote:

*UPDATE: 1233 Rose Ave* 1 small aircraft down on Penmar Golf Course near the Santa Monica airport. Solo occupant, an adult male being...

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm Solo,
I'm Flying Solo
I'm Flying Solo, Solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

I'm so sorry...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
PBS Newshour specifically avoided saying Solo when they reported on the crash and I'm really disappointed in them

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm Solo,
I'm Flying Solo
I'm Flying Solo, Solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

I'm so sorry...

The best part of that video is the upper left corner.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It looks like he was flying back to the airport after some sort of failure and landed short. Turning back to an airport after an engine failure is pretty much the worst thing you could do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ri66ZBObnM

[/armchairpilot]

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

It looks like he was flying back to the airport after some sort of failure and landed short. Turning back to an airport after an engine failure is pretty much the worst thing you could do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ri66ZBObnM

[/armchairpilot]

He put it down on a golf course instead of a house or something in the middle of LA so he did quite well.

edit: looking at google earth, Penmar golf course is less than 1000ft from runway 3 so yeah he did fine.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 6, 2015

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm Solo,
I'm Flying Solo
I'm Flying Solo, Solo

[video type="youtube"]NOPENOPE NOPE[/video]

I'm so sorry...

My life is significantly worse now that I know this exists.

Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hermsgervørden posted:

My life is significantly worse now that I know this exists.

Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

Well I just found out that Airdrie (where I live) has to move their airshow because CYYC killed it. So I'm sad too. :(

Don't look up Hologram Girl from Star Wars Kinnect btw.

edit:

hobbesmaster posted:

He put it down on a golf course instead of a house or something in the middle of LA so he did quite well.

edit: looking at google earth, Penmar golf course is less than 1000ft from runway 3 so yeah he did fine.

I'm pretty sure Harrison Ford has been flying lovely old airplanes longer that most posters in this thread have been alive.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 6, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

phongn posted:

Thankfully with the -9X they're doing the Block thing and I think even the USMC has finally recognized that they need to give it up with Cobras.

Mazz posted:

Not entirely sure, the Huey and Cobra as mentioned are probably going to hit that wall soon enough, so we'll have to see.

For the AC-130 though its really just the A, H, U, W, and J I think. They jumped around because the SOCOM birds had the U and W designation IIRC (MC-130W and the AC-130W are interchangable, like the Harvest Hawks), and the H/J are standard hercs.

Sort of...there were also AC-130Es, they were converted from C-130Es during Vietnam and were later upgraded to AC-130Hs. The U designation got pulled out of AFSOC's rear end. The AC-130Js are the first gunship based on the -J model Herc, which explains that. The MC-130W designation also got pulled out of AFSOC's rear end, so when they turned all of those into gunships like you said with the Precision Strike Package (like you said, a variation on Harvest Hawk) the -W carried over even though there's really no basis for it.

Also all the H's are retired, last ones went to the boneyard at the end of last year.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

phongn posted:

For the AH-1 I think they skipped a whole bunch of letters to get there so it's no big deal.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A 1/22 scale A310 flying around inside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDtqUg8R6Jw

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

drunkill posted:

A 1/22 scale A310 flying around inside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDtqUg8R6Jw

That thing flys a lot slower than I was expecting at the beginning. I'm guessing based on the speed and some visual clues (the seams top and bottom, and some rippling especially along the bottom seam) that the fuselage is actually inflatable and filled with helium?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Locator posted:

That thing flys a lot slower than I was expecting at the beginning. I'm guessing based on the speed and some visual clues (the seams top and bottom, and some rippling especially along the bottom seam) that the fuselage is actually inflatable and filled with helium?

Yeah, it's mostly balloon.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Spaced God posted:

Yeah, like choppy water :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU8JMbe9ljU

Too bad the original version didn't have wheels. But the grandson of the designer fixed that, along with adding a more efficient wing and turboprops:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU8JMbe9ljU

Too bad the original version didn't have wheels. But the grandson of the designer fixed that, along with adding a more efficient wing and turboprops:

In fairness, as a marine guy I can tell you those seas are as flat as gently caress. The vast majority of open oceans have waves at LEAST 4m high. And that's a calm sea.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StandardVC10 posted:

For the AH-1 I think they skipped a whole bunch of letters to get there so it's no big deal.

AH-1 and UH-1 share model letters.

The first AH-1 is the AH-1G, since the UH-1 was up to the UH-1F when the Cobra came out.

:spergin:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drunkill posted:

That reminds me, how do aerodynamics scale down?

Small RC planes always look like they have to go blazingly fast to get lift compared to the real thing. I saw a RC Cessna once that would be doing like 600km/h on takeoff if it was a real plane.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Lift squares, but so does drag

So you get a 152 that needs 600 knots scaled to take off, but you also get a 152 that CAN do 600 knots scaled

marumaru
May 20, 2013

simplefish posted:

Lift squares, but so does drag

So you get a 152 that needs 600 knots scaled to take off, but you also get a 152 that CAN do 600 knots scaled

Ooooooh, neat, so smaller things have way less lift, proportionally, but also way less drag, and because most RC planes are made of very very lightweight materials and have proportionally strong engines they can go way faster, relatively?

(if you can't tell i'm pretty dumb when it comes to the physics of flight)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

That's because AH-1 and UH-1 are the same helicopter family, so the AH-1 is also blocked by all of the UH-1 variant codes.

The 'easy' solution would be to break all 4 of the HH-1 family out into their own base code, so that you don't have the Huey, Twin Huey, Venom and Viper fighting for the same variant code space.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Just what I needed to see after booking a flight on Delta, to New York.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slothrop posted:

Congratulations, your odds of having an issue on your flight are exactly the same as before you saw this picture, or before that plane went off the runway!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slothrop posted:

At least it's not a southwest flight to midway.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

Well I just found out that Airdrie (where I live) has to move their airshow because CYYC killed it. So I'm sad too. :(

My money is on the show moving to Springbank (YBW), check out the Snowbirds page and you'll see two days this summer that list Springbank on their schedule.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

hobbesmaster posted:

At least it's not a southwest flight to midway.

:vince:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

"Now arriving at gate 7...gate 8...gate 9..."