Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was the first episode I've ever gotten to see the day it aired, and sadly it was a disappointment. Still funny, but it felt forced to me in a way that the show usually doesn't, particularly the ending. In fact Dennis' entire performance felt forced, which was a bit of a surprise since he's normally so good/natural at coming across as deeply disturbed just beneath the surface veneer of normalcy.

I did love that if they'd gone with a Frank/Charlie pairing they'd have gotten the 200 points by picking the top and bottom answers though. Like maybe-father, like maybe-son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
jeez were we watching the same episode? I haven't laughed this hard in a while. This was exactly as fun as I thought it would be.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

i though it was pretty weak too. another sub 20 min episode as well

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Jerusalem posted:

This was the first episode I've ever gotten to see the day it aired, and sadly it was a disappointment. Still funny, but it felt forced to me in a way that the show usually doesn't, particularly the ending. In fact Dennis' entire performance felt forced, which was a bit of a surprise since he's normally so good/natural at coming across as deeply disturbed just beneath the surface veneer of normalcy.

I did love that if they'd gone with a Frank/Charlie pairing they'd have gotten the 200 points by picking the top and bottom answers though. Like maybe-father, like maybe-son.

This is a recurring sentiment every time a season of sunny is aired, hop on a few dozens pages backwards and you'll see many people apprehensive about certain episodes in season 9, one the season is over and people get to watch/rewatch/binge-watch everything suddenly becomes peachy and even relatively weak episodes are regarded as classics.

There's just something about this show that doesn't work as well with the weekly gaps between episodes and the build-up of anticipation.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I watched Season 1-9 in the space of a few days and it was amazing. I'm enjoying Season 10 a lot and this episode was great but I will agree with the people saying Dennis was a bit weak, the ending especially.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Weird how they just started using the word "cock" this season. I guess when no one's watching they don't have to worry about offending sponsors.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

that was about the most perfect representation of a pissed off game show host I could imagine

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Aye Doc posted:

that was about the most perfect representation of a pissed off game show host I could imagine

Yeah Keegan nailed it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aye Doc posted:

Ray Combs also had a good one.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I never got to see Combs do it, but Steve Harvey always knocked it out of the park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArQQWAFkcQ0

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Harvey is a jabroni.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like this season has to end with Dennis in a mental institution.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I realized after I saw Frank's score that they could've just gone with Charlie for the 5 points, nice touch there.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'll say it every time he's mentioned, but Steve Harvey is a goddamn national treasure.

It definitely felt like Key was channeling him a little bit in the episode, and it was great. Also, Dennis going into the fetal position at the end was hilarious.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

FELD1 posted:

I'll say it every time he's mentioned, but Steve Harvey is a goddamn national treasure.

It definitely felt like Key was channeling him a little bit in the episode, and it was great. Also, Dennis going into the fetal position at the end was hilarious.

Well, first off, Steve Harvey is a horrible comedian, and horrible person. Second, of course Key was channeling him. Steve Harvey is the current host of Family Feud.

The episode was mediocre. Everything felt extra rushed, and there were only a couple jokes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dennis' mental deterioration throughout the season has been so prominent it must payoff eventually, in this last one the focus on his neurosis was not even truly comical.

I've got a feeling that the CharDee relationship + Dennis' breakdown are going to pay off in the season finale. Less of a feeling more of a hope really.

Also, I'm afraid of gameshow rules.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

The episode was mediocre. Everything felt extra rushed, and there were only a couple jokes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Super Deuce posted:

I was excited for this episode the whole season (I absolutely love Family Feud), but it just fell super flat for me. Didn't help that it was only 20 minutes again. And Dennis having a freak-out about not being the best was already covered enough in the group dating episode, I felt.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel the episode might have ended better if they ended up having Charlie play fast money at the end for whatever reason, but loving up the last answer leaving them with 199 or something. They showed that kind of thing in the CharDee MacDennis episode, where he couldn't answer 'Denis is rear end in a top hat. Y Charlee hat?' even though he wrote that question himself.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was excited for this episode the whole season (I absolutely love Family Feud), but it just fell super flat for me. Didn't help that it was only 20 minutes again. And Dennis having a freak-out about not being the best was already covered enough in the group dating episode, I felt.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel the episode might have ended better if they ended up having Charlie play fast money at the end for whatever reason, but loving up the last answer leaving them with 199 or something. They showed that kind of thing in the CharDee MacDennis episode, where he couldn't answer 'Denis is rear end in a top hat. Y Charlee hat?' even though he wrote that question himself.

I was looking for the same. Charlie gets everything right with normal answers, then the last one is something where the obvious answer is cottage cheese and he says something about rats instead.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

FELD1 posted:

I would say that he is a loving rear end in a top hat, but whatever floats your boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az0BJRQ1cqM

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Steve Harvey can be both.

He's sure as hell a better host than Louie Anderson, Home Improvement Al, and Dog Show J. Peterman guy.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Rob McElhenney's the guest on the new Marc Maron podcast and it's a Good Listen

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_582_-_rob_mcelhenney1

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

elwood posted:

I would say that he is a loving rear end in a top hat, but whatever floats your boat.

"On no, someone has a different view on religion than me and I dont know how to process that" says teenagers and religious fanatics alike.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Aye Doc posted:

I did love when the other family failed to win the round, meaning he'd have to go back to the Reynolds, and he just slams his hand on the desk in fury.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Aye Doc posted:

Rob McElhenney's the guest on the new Marc Maron podcast and it's a Good Listen

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_582_-_rob_mcelhenney1

Maron is an annoying little bitch but I guess I'll give this a shot

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Maron is an annoying little bitch but I guess I'll give this a shot

he only whines about his life and childhood for about 7 minutes instead of the normal 20!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Super Deuce posted:

I was looking for the same. Charlie gets everything right with normal answers, then the last one is something where the obvious answer is cottage cheese and he says something about rats instead.

Yeah, the fact the thing about cottage cheese ended up being just a throwaway line and didn't come back around to end up biting them in the rear end by the end seemed a little odd.

Though, there was a fast money once where the first guy got all the number one answers, and the second person screwed up and got all zeroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Nk9t7-rCs

It almost seems fake.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Charlie throwing his hands up in disgust after nobody thought to use his Nightman answer was top notch; I enjoyed the hell out of this episode. Keegan Michael-Key's response to Nightman being on the board was also pretty good.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
"We brought our blood bucket if you want to test it." :allears:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dee smashing the gently caress out of the buzzer was glorious

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
If Danny DeVito wasn't on the show, I would say that Kaitlin Olsen has the best physical comedy on the show. That buzzer smash was just vintage Dee.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

FELD1 posted:

If Danny DeVito wasn't on the show, I would say that Kaitlin Olsen has the best physical comedy on the show. That buzzer smash was just vintage Dee.

i still can't believe she did this stunt herself. look at that dent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiLS2iUZspw

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

And let's not forget her weird inflatable tube man p. diddy dance.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Steve Winwood is great boat music.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dee smashing the gently caress out of the buzzer was glorious

Totally agree. That made me laugh out loud more than any other time in the episode.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

kefkafloyd posted:

Steve Winwood is great boat music.

You spelled P Diddy wrong

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Aye Doc posted:

i still can't believe she did this stunt herself. look at that dent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiLS2iUZspw

It's a less firm metal than an actual car door, of course, but I mean she goes into that with as full a head (pardon the pun) of steam as you can. I was sure that the fall from Charlie's joke stool in Charlie Work was a stuntwoman, but now I can't say that with 100% certainty.

Also I didn't laugh at all at the buzzer, but I guess I just need to watch Sunny more often.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

elwood posted:

Uh.. wow. Yeah. I agree. Steve Harvey's not only an unfunny comedian with a terrible show in the 90s, he's a loving rear end in a top hat too. And stupid as poo poo.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, the fact the thing about cottage cheese ended up being just a throwaway line and didn't come back around to end up biting them in the rear end by the end seemed a little odd.

Though, there was a fast money once where the first guy got all the number one answers, and the second person screwed up and got all zeroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Nk9t7-rCs

It almost seems fake.
lol'd at this though

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Shadow posted:

lol'd at this though

The utter dead silence from the crowd is sooooo uncomfortable.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

The utter dead silence from the crowd is sooooo uncomfortable.

That and how vocal the daughter was at first.

Uncomfortable, but hilarious. That picture perfect family? I wanted them to lose. I bet that mother has a drinking problem now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I rewatched the episode and now I see where the complaints about Dennis come from. The antics from the rest of the gang are pretty fun here, but Dennis just brings it down. This season they are obviously establishing that he has totally cracked, but it should have been excluded here, or at least an angry outburst instead.