Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chorman Plamp
Nov 23, 2004
I Craft War
Fun Shoe
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=KUKDHB6Z
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=Q5TOFJIA
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=IMZFUYDT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm a huge retard and bought a bunch of ANR right when that other guy posted about it a few pages back...down a whole lot, lol. Are you staying in, coal guy?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
:allears: Can't wait to hear about how coal is still the future despite everyone in the electric industry knowing its in its death throes. Hell, the ceo of Duke said he will never see a coal plant be built ever again.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Long time lurker. Just wanted to post I grabbed this one. Thanks!

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does robinhood affect the profitability of day-trading? Am I right to assume that a $5 fee per transaction would cost hundreds to many thousands of dollars per month, and that Robinhood is a huge life savor for this?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

a cop posted:

I'm a huge retard and bought a bunch of ANR right when that other guy posted about it a few pages back...down a whole lot, lol. Are you staying in, coal guy?

I did this not long after they bought Massey. I think I only lost 40% before I said screw it. Should have gone with citigroup over the same period...

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Blinky2099 posted:

How does robinhood affect the profitability of day-trading? Am I right to assume that a $5 fee per transaction would cost hundreds to many thousands of dollars per month, and that Robinhood is a huge life savor for this?

I assume they make the money back on the spread. How else could their business run?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Blinky2099 posted:

People who are trading more than a couple of times a month are not paying anywhere near $5 for trades.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I"m really starting to wish we had a separate Robinhood thread.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blinky2099 posted:

if you're day trading stocks there's many places you can go to get far lower rates per transaction than 5 or even 1 dollar. Think like 15 cents per trade if you do enough volume (any decent day trader would be)

District Selectman posted:

I"m really starting to wish we had a separate Robinhood thread.

A Cop's GBS thread!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Blinky2099 posted:

You can't really daytrade with robinhood, they force you to wait until the funds actually settle (2-3 days) before you can reinvest the money from a sale.

more invites

https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=DJCEZGG7
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=MSMM5C69
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=ZXOH6P6Y

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 4, 2015

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I'm short LL from $40 - if the story is true, I can't really see a case other than 'they are totally hosed' given the potential compensations they'll have to pay out, the lack of forward sales they have now, and even one of your Senators asking for an inquiry.
What is the bull case here?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh drat I wasn't paying attention for a few hours and saw that the bottom fell out of LL. Senate investigation I guess.

I tried to get some sort of position yesterday when it was around 42, but never ultimately got it. I was hoping today that the option premiums might calm down a little bit with volume decreasing.

The bull case is that (1) the issue is either wrong or overblown and (2) the company is growing. I don't think it's very compelling.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
VSLR popped today before and after beating revenue/earnings!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, VSLR's growth rates are phenomenal. And their cost structure is getting close to SolarCity's (the latter still has an edge in cost per watt but that gap is diminishing). They're also increasing market share quite rapidly, and announced they are expanding to 6 new offices in California over the next few weeks. The business model itself concerns me a bit, but I think the stock is cheap relative to potential.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
CSIQ up about 5% post earnings. I exited half my position last week around $30, so I'll take this as a good opportunity to exit in full. I like solar, but no one ever went broke taking profits.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Slight miss from CSIQ, but they've (1) announced a yieldco and (2) their 2015 guidance is much higher than analyst's expectations (when accounting for the revenue decline due to the yieldco). Up 5% pre-market right now.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
My trailing stop on CSIQ triggered, I took the money and plowed it into VSLR, then wrote some calls at 10 on it while it was trading at 8.4.

Now it's up to 9.3, so everyone who was just sitting long in VSLR, you're welcome. :stare:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Now it's up to 9.3, so everyone who was just sitting long in VSLR, you're welcome.

It feels like kind of a wank to thank the thread... but, uh.. thanks thread for pointing out these solar plays. I made a happy little return on CSIQ (I exited pretty quick), and a bloody truckload on VSLR (in at 8.24 - out at 10.16).

VVV: Lol, I rode CSIQ from 19 to like 22 like what, a couple weeks ago? It's at $34.34 now. Geez. And VSLR is up another 10% in the last hour or two. Wow.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 5, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
CSIQ has decided to go to the moon, apparently. I have 0 upside above 32 unfortunately. Can't complain though :)

Stock is up 80% from its January low.

lol efficient markets...good job, good effort.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 5, 2015

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Tell me I'm dumb (I'm not too worried because I'm working with a tiny amount of money and don't care if I lose it).

I picked up 20 shares of ETN UWTI, which is 3x leveraged long oil. I got in at $3, which seems to be around the low so far. I've been reading about ETN "decay" which makes sense - because each day effectively "resets" for the share price, the long term trend matters less than the day-to-day variances. At a price like $3, any decay can't really hurt me that much.

Is there any point in just sitting on it and hoping that the share price will return to, say, $10 assuming the right fluctuation in the oil market? Or is there effectively no way that could ever happen. I can see decay working on a day to day basis but it's harder for me to conceptualize further out.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Arkane posted:

CSIQ has decided to go to the moon, apparently. I have 0 upside above 32 unfortunately. Can't complain though :)

Stock is up 80% from its January low.

lol efficient markets...good job, good effort.

Cheers dude, your ideas made a lot of people a lot of money. Please don't stop contributing, you and District Salesman are the only reason I continue typing "foru" into my browser before "redd".

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Been a fan of Arkane for a long while. He's a good man.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jesus Christ, the VSLR gains..

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

kaishek posted:

At a price like $3, any decay can't really hurt me that much.

This is 100% faulty logic.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

greasyhands posted:

This is 100% faulty logic.

True, what I meant by that is absolutely worst case I lose 100% of it and I have lost $60 which I might lose on a particularly good round of craps betting. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the decay + fees will mean that it is a 100% losing position past (1 week, 1 month, 6 months...) or if there is some combination of events that makes holding onto it worthwhile. If its true ONLY use is intra-day hedging then no point in keeping it. But if there's a chance it'll go back up to $15 in a few months as oil recovers, then hey.

(and thanks, I know this is a dumb question)

Hufflepuff or bust! fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 7, 2015

heLL.
May 20, 2011

Robinhood Invite Code: MFNEDIA2

Will expire in 72 hours.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=FHM3GVIB
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=XIYZKHGC
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=UNEFEXQH

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I left the starship that is Solar after 25% gains in a foreign market I do not understand. Thanks Arkane for those gains!

Then I sunk most of it into Braincool, a Swedish meditec company creating cryotherapy sollutions for the treatment of stroke. Recently they also realised that they have a product that can prevent oral mycoses caused by chemotherapy. It is a really small company by any measurement, run by clever people. While not (yet! :downs:) a sound investment, it feels good.

My name is Potrzebie and I have a Stock Trading Problem.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Potrzebie posted:

I left the starship that is Solar after 25% gains in a foreign market I do not understand. Thanks Arkane for those gains!

Then I sunk most of it into Braincool, a Swedish meditec company creating cryotherapy sollutions for the treatment of stroke. Recently they also realised that they have a product that can prevent oral mycoses caused by chemotherapy. It is a really small company by any measurement, run by clever people. While not (yet! :downs:) a sound investment, it feels good.

My name is Potrzebie and I have a Stock Trading Problem.

I will curse you and your entire family if I lose muh recent solar gains in braincool

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Braincool is the best name ever. So at the very least you'll have that going for you. Build up that rad name equity.

But it has an 84M SEK market cap which is slightly horrifying. That is $10M or so for those playing at home.

By the way, IB hits you up for about $50 to invest in Stockholm (I believe that is $50 each way too, but I have yet to sell anything), plus the annoyance of converting to Krona. Or going on margin to borrow Krona, but that seems like a great way to lose money. Maybe other brokerages are cheaper though. On the plus side, the dollar is strong!

I went through with the pain of buying Krona and getting my dick slapped with fees to invest in ARCM because I love it, but man, I can't imagine doing that for a company with a $10M market cap. Good luck, you are going to need it.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

... invest in ARCM ...

I enjoyed my first ride on Arcam, but stopped out a couple of days ago. AMAVF is back around 20 though, and if it dropped to ~19 I'd happily reenter.

Also if you grab AMAVF you can get Arcam without any SEK inconveniences. :v:

I'd like to join the loving dogpile, thank you to Arkane and District Selectman for your consistently good analyses.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I enjoyed my first ride on Arcam, but stopped out a couple of days ago. AMAVF is back around 20 though, and if it dropped to ~19 I'd happily reenter.

Looks like you got your wish. Low 19s too.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Does anyone know what happened to UFS today at 2? Disclosure: Long UFS

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
EBIX is down about 10% from it's multi-year high from two weeks ago, and Q4 earnings are this Friday. I've added more to my position around $25. It's a better buy at $25 today, knowing what we know, than it was last year at $15-18, IMO.

Two short term catalysts:

1) The expectation seems to be that Q4 earnings will beat, simply because the (single) analyst hasn't updated his estimates and EBIX has made multiple accretive purchases since. The more important expectation is a large increase in forward guidance for Q1 2015. This was alluded to in the Q3 2014 call, where they talked openly about increasing revenues in 2015 to $250M from the current $200M. So that's a 25% increase in earnings, nbd. Revenue growth has been a problem over the last few years, because while earnings have grown, revenue has stagnated.

2) EBIX has been chosen as the software platform for the PPL (Placing Platform Limited) which is a consortium of insurance providers based in London. What this means is that all of the major insurance providers in London have decided they need to use a common electronic platform, and they have chosen EBIX to be that platform. The decision should be ratified by the PPL some time in March. I don't know when exactly, but I did find a discussion session in London scheduled for March 26th, so I'd have to believe the software is known by that date. Anyway, the PPL decision is somewhat priced in already, because the most recent gains came on the back of the unofficial PPL news, but an official announcement will be huge. There's not even a press release yet from either EBIX or PPL.

Then there are a few other non-business related things still in the mix

1) EBIX is still bouncing around $1B in market cap. It needs to get above that mark and stay there in order to get on more radars. It's unfortunate that it was driven down below $1B so quickly.

2) Short interest has decreased, but is still absurdly high (35% as of last short publication). Institutional ownership is 71% and insider ownership is 21%, with buybacks to be announced at Q4 earnings as well. Not to say that the only way to cover a short position is to buy from a retail investor, but institutional investors and insiders can be more intractable. Frankly, I don't understand the short thesis at this point. Last year, although I disagreed with it, there was at least some logic behind it. Now with all of the various thing that have been cleared, I don't get it. The tax issue is clean, the shareholder suit is settled, you've got informal stamps of approval from the banks that just gave out a $200M line of credit, an informal stamp of approval from Barrington, and very shortly an informal stamp of approval from every insurance firm in London. My only guess at this point is that one or a handful of large investors have their dick caught in their zipper and want to carefully get it out with minimal pain.

I leave you with perhaps the most bizarre promotional video of all time, courtesy of EBIX. This is real, it didn't air on Adult Swim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXxQAT9qDec

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The bulk of their assets are intangible...any idea why those numbers are so high?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
They're built almost solely by acquisitions, so goodwill is high.

The strategy makes sense to me because they're an insurance platform provider, and I envision it like a social network. The more users you have, the more valuable each user is. If that means they have to buy out smaller companies to grow, so be it. It's not like a company selling a product necessarily, where you could grow solely by developing a better product. That's why them winning the PPL job is pretty big - London is a fairly international city, and having that market on lockdown should do well to spread them into other markets that work through London.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I like your story DS but lazily listening to Arkane has served me well in the past.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

They're built almost solely by acquisitions, so goodwill is high.

I've done a few hours of reading on this company, and I have no earthly clue what their strategy is, other than to buy other companies. I see that the CEO is projecting revenue of $250m in 2015, but is that through acquisition or growth in their businesses? Given how much they project VERTEX to add to EPS, it would seem a large chunk of the growth is inorganic. It could be that their core businesses are actually shrinking, and that these acquisitions are destroying value rather than creating it. If you look at the 10-Q for the 3rd quarter 2014, you can see that 3 of their 4 segments of revenue saw declines from 2013 to 2014, and that the "exchange" area of the business had modest growth of 2% year on year.

The conference call almost doesn't seem real reading what the CEO is saying. A string of buzz words. Also says his goal is to eliminate the word "sales" from the company. He sounds more like a guru than the head of a $900m company. I mean the video you posted above doesn't make this seem like a company that has an attachment to reality. The CEO in the conference call also talks about the number of deals done in the prepared remarks (which is a metric that doesn't make sense absent of context)...the (one) analyst asks him to clarify and he goes on a spiel about how the number of deals done doesn't matter. Alrighty then.

There's basically zero shareholder equity on the balance sheet if we assume that their goodwill & intangibles are worth zero, or at least have the strong potential be worth zero. So what's my downside protection here to their ongoing investigations? Sure the IRS found only a little wrong with this company to the tune of a $1.4m bill, but they were narrowly looking at acquisitions. Heavily shorted companies are heavily shorted for a reason. What am I missing here? How much will the potential London deal add to annual EPS? Are we talking 2 cents a share or $2.00 a share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Why would you assume the goodwill and intangibles are worth zero, that doesn't make any sense.

Goodwill is tested for impairment annually to comply with asc 350. Why would you just assume it is completely impaired?