Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HookShot posted:

Rebecca was definitely the least likeable contestant in a while.

Her monotone delivery reminded me of Lilith Crane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

Incorrect, she had an excellent hat.

Her hat was excellent.

It's too bad she had absolutely no personality (or manners). I can stand the monotone, but please is still the magic word :colbert:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

HookShot posted:

Her hat was excellent.

It's too bad she had absolutely no personality (or manners). I can stand the monotone, but please is still the magic word :colbert:

Every time a contestant sayys "please," that's a half-second less for actual clues. Get all 60 revealed, dangit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean the problem is there's an insane amount of time left after Final Jeopardy (I think there's still 9 or so minutes left when they go to the break before Final Jeopardy) and I realize they need to name sponsors, show more commercials, but they could really cut a minute out of that and get every clue out every day.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Or cut the interviews which are almost universally horrible

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

zVxTeflon posted:

If I ever get on Jeopardy! I'm just going to say "next person, we gotta get this show on the road" during the interview segment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

I love the magic of DVR because I haven't seen an interview in years but yeah it's totally dumb and I think the only time it was interesting was when Ken Jennings was on because they ran out of poo poo to talk about.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Just catching up because I've been out of the country but holy hell you guys, Rebecca was nowhere near as annoying as "I'm going to bounce around but be really loving slow about it" Dave

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
The sheet they give you to fill out for the i/vu is 4 pages long. If you don't have ONE interesting thing to say about yourself then make something up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Did that guy really say Julius Caesar was the successor to Tiberius?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
My wife's friend won! We couldn't believe no one else came up with James Bond.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

If I ever get on Jeopardy! I'm just going to say "next person, we gotta get this show on the road" during the interview segment.

Doesn't work like that. They pick the interview prompts, you can't really get out of it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are FJs in general getting easier or am I getting smarter?

Pob the former since im pretty dumb

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I've never read anything by Fleming and I picked it as James Bond. I think they've been getting easier.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Speaking of easy FJ... if you'd given me that category and clue and asked me to guess the value I would have said it was a $200, MAYBE $400 clue.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

HookShot posted:

Speaking of easy FJ... if you'd given me that category and clue and asked me to guess the value I would have said it was a $200, MAYBE $400 clue.

We play a game in my house where we have to guess the correct answer to FJ just based on the category. I won tonight :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It baffles me how so many people say 'Weird Al' Yankovich instead of Yankovic. The only two famous people with that surname spell it without an H, so where did it come from? Even Alex commented on the correct spelling but pronounced it with the H.

Come on, people!

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

HookShot posted:

At least make them name the loving album. Jesus.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

nikosoft posted:

We play a game in my house where we have to guess the correct answer to FJ just based on the category. I won tonight :)
Haha yeah, me too.

wa27 posted:

It baffles me how so many people say 'Weird Al' Yankovich instead of Yankovic. The only two famous people with that surname spell it without an H, so where did it come from? Even Alex commented on the correct spelling but pronounced it with the H.

Come on, people!
It is pronounced "ch" in slavic languages. We just don't write it with the little accent that makes it "ch". Alex was correct, though even Weird Al himself has Anglicized it enough that he pronounces it "Yankovik"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Alex renewed his contract through 2018, giving me a much better shot!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Please keep the final jeopardies this easy for a few more weeks and make more of them about musicians i have been a fan of since I was six, thanks in advance, me.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Anne Whateley posted:

Alex renewed his contract through 2018, giving me a much better shot!

Hopefully someone kills Matt Lauer in the next three years.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Everyone was so terrible today.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Everyone was so terrible today.

Alexs burns even after they left were great though

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Has that ever happened before? And is it bad that towards the middle of Double Jeopardy I was really hoping for it to happen?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The AV Club had a really neat interview with the current Head Writer of Jeopardy! today.

I think I had learned already that they have 6 clues per category so in case there's a technical issue they have a spare to replace it with, but what I didn't realize is that when they write the categories they actually write 7, and then the head writer removes one as part of the selection process.

I also enjoyed this anecdote:

quote:

AVC: Have you ever had one thrown out and you say, okay, I’m going to create a new category for this because I like this piece of information so much?

BW: Oh, sure. All the time.

AVC: Can you think of an example?

BW: I’ll tell you my favorite clue that I’ve—almost my favorite clue that I’ve ever written, and I can tell you because our head writer, our executive producer, won’t use it because he didn’t like it. Let me see… [Looks it up on his computer.] “Gene Siskel said he often got these as gifts to help in his particular line of work. He never used them.” And [the answer is] “What are lighted pens?” I just love that clue. Because you can think, “What did Gene Siskel do, and what would someone give a film critic that they think he could use…” Anyway. I’ve stopped now, because I put it in about three different categories and Harry Friedman, who is the executive producer, didn’t use it. He threw it out every time. So I think I’ve given up on that one, so I give it to you.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Colonial Air Force posted:

Has that ever happened before? And is it bad that towards the middle of Double Jeopardy I was really hoping for it to happen?

I think it happened once before in 2011.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pretty sure that's the record for lowest score in a game.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you're like me and you missed Jeopardy tonight, here's what the thread is talking about :

Apparently the last time this happened was March 16, 2011?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think I would have also done pretty badly in that double jeopardy round. gently caress musical theatre categories.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I too went 0/5 in Lyricists, but STOP AVOIDING THE SPORTS CATEGORIES DAMMIT

Also, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

STOP AVOIDING THE SPORTS CATEGORIES DAMMIT

I hate this poo poo and I wanted to shove Arthur Chu in a locker when he tweeted he'd rather spend the time having sex with his wife than learning about sports when people made fun of him for knowing jack poo poo about em.

Yeah you sure showed us NERD.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Seriously people this ain't Stump the Schwab, two of the questions will be piss easy unless you live under a rock, two of them will be about sports but figured out with general knowledge (like, you wouldn't need to know basketball to guess that the Golden State Warriors play in California), and the very last one will be something you'd need to be a fan to get.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Seriously people this ain't Stump the Schwab, two of the questions will be piss easy unless you live under a rock, two of them will be about sports but figured out with general knowledge (like, you wouldn't need to know basketball to guess that the Golden State Warriors play in California), and the very last one will be something you'd need to be a fan to get.

I think I remember a sports category where the hardest question was who has been the previous year's World Series MVP. Jeopardy sports questions are just straight up offensive if you know anything.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
The thing is, they were fine in the first round, and then the second round was pretty hard, but what killed them (especially Stephanie) was all the buzzing in on high-value questions when they obviously had no idea of the answers. You REALLY think naming random Zodiac signs and cities in Asia is the best strategy to get out of that hole?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Propaniac posted:

The thing is, they were fine in the first round, and then the second round was pretty hard, but what killed them (especially Stephanie) was all the buzzing in on high-value questions when they obviously had no idea of the answers. You REALLY think naming random Zodiac signs and cities in Asia is the best strategy to get out of that hole?

She was way behind and needed the high value clues to get back over 0. It was a valid strategy given the circumstances.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

She was way behind and needed the high value clues to get back over 0. It was a valid strategy given the circumstances.

She was doing it before then though, like that's also what got her into the hole in the first place.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
See the thing is there's a hole breaking point you have to be aware of

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

On the edge of my seat for Final tonight, I've been rooting for Kristin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

On the edge of my seat for Final tonight, I've been rooting for Kristin.

:toot:

I said eleven though :(