Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Saw a woman who looked like Lucille Ball in a C7 yesterday. Seems to be a popular old lady car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Apparently no one else here knows any older women that are hot shoes and that makes me sad

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

"Roush" F150, complete with stick on 6 piston brake calipers, Swiss cheese brake disks, stuck on vents, stickers, and a non functional hoodscoop.

Click for big

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Bajaha posted:

Click for big

Nah, that's ok

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JazzmasterCurious posted:

And that the explosion pillow does more bad than good if you're not wearing your seatbelt as well.

Don't most cars disable the air bag if you don't have the seatbelt buckled though?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Bajaha posted:

"Roush" F150, complete with stick on 6 piston brake calipers, Swiss cheese brake disks, stuck on vents, stickers, and a non functional hoodscoop.

Click for big

I'm actually kinda surprised that it doesn't have a Roush license plate frame for the Roush license plate that's attached to the actual license plate...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

And that the explosion pillow does more bad than good if you're not wearing your seatbelt as well.

Depends. FMVSS requires that certain kinds of crashes be survivable even without a seatbelt, because some people are loving retards and don't wear their seatbelts.

This is a rather large headache for engineers designing occupant retention and impact safety hardware.

veedubfreak posted:

Don't most cars disable the air bag if you don't have the seatbelt buckled though?

Not that I'm aware of.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

veedubfreak posted:

Nah but lots of them give you a way to turn the passenger side one off if you are putting a baby seat there.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

I think I've already posted this in this thread, but this was found in a customer's car in the driver's seatbelt clip.

"DO NOT USE"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Worth mentioning that most modern cars have a way of detecting how far forward the seat is and stage the airbag deployments accordingly. That corvette certainly will.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

Worth mentioning that most modern cars have a way of detecting how far forward the seat is and stage the airbag deployments accordingly. That corvette certainly will.

They only have two settings (dual stage) on the airbags, however.
1. 75lb 5 foot 90 year old woman with face 5 inches from steering wheel
2. 450lb 6'6" wrestler

You can sense all you want about the weight and position of the occupant, but there are only two squibs you can fire to deploy each airbag, and thus two different deployment rates (3 if you include initiating the second squib at the same time as the first instead of using one or the other.) You need to make the go/no-go decision within milliseconds of the frontal or side impact satellite sensors registering the beginning of an impact ("crash pulse" as it's known in the industry) as the bags take anywhere from 10 to 20 milliseconds or more to deploy and you need them deployed within 30-50 milliseconds of the initiation of an impact.

The tests are by no means exhaustive and do not cover all possible types of impacts, obviously. Manufacturers build to the test just like everyone else. Safety star ratings are also relevant.

Stuff to read if you really want to get spergy about this:
SAE USCAR 24-2
FMVSS 208 (US 49 CFR 571.208)
Any applicable euro standards.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Dartz Motorz presents to you, itself:

quote:

DARTZ MOTORZ
Bulletproof opulence trusted by billionaires, tzars, superstars, generals and dictators since 1869

quote:

Pneumatic Pam Am organised protest wave again world most luxury car interior, which was (thanks Ari Onassis) planned to be made from whale penis skin.

We saved the whales penis and Pam Am still hasn't picked up her gift - 'Save The Whales' car. Even she visited us this year in Monaco.

quote:

This 3-door Kapsula-Kupe has a 300 mm shorter base and 3-doors, to avoid kindnapping, hijacking and other problems which can meet rich and lonely lady on the street.

Specially for ladies was created 360-easy parking video system.

quote:

DARTZ team never stop it's grow and never stop to generate new ideas for new cars.

As out team is small - that mean that we are fast.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31694245

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I think I've already posted this in this thread, but this was found in a customer's car in the driver's seatbelt clip.

"DO NOT USE"

That would be OK if it was a car with four- or six-point harnesses for track days. I don't suppose it was, was it?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

"DO NOT USE"

While I wouldn't advise using them in your own buckle while driving, these are super loving handy if you have a car that keeps the seatbelt alarm going any time you put something in the passenger seat, regardless if there's a passenger there or not. I know a few local cops used these to shut off the alarm when they had gear bags / other heavy poo poo in the front passenger seat and the car was freaking out thinking there was someone sitting there.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

veedubfreak posted:

I remember reading somewhere that EU spec airbags (often labeled SRS = secondary restraint system) are designed to further protect people wearing seatbelts whereas American airbags are much bigger so that they can also protect people not using seatbelts.

I had a 30 kph collision in my E34 BMW and I never registered the airbag deployment making any noise. Even though the passenger airbag completely destroyed that side of the windshield. The first two things I noticed were: Why is the air full of white dust? and Why are the interior lights suddenly on? Only then I saw the empty airbags hanging from the steering wheel and the passenger side dashboard.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Stuff to read if you really want to get spergy about this:
SAE USCAR 24-2
FMVSS 208 (US 49 CFR 571.208)
Any applicable euro standards.

I will!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

cyberbug posted:

I had a 30 kph collision in my E34 BMW and I never registered the airbag deployment making any noise. Even though the passenger airbag completely destroyed that side of the windshield. The first two things I noticed were: Why is the air full of white dust? and Why are the interior lights suddenly on? Only then I saw the empty airbags hanging from the steering wheel and the passenger side dashboard.

Did you get burns from the airbag as well? I've had two 70mph/120kph crashes where airbags deployed, can't remember hearing any noise at the time of impact in either case.

People think hitting an airbag is like landing on a soft pillow. It was more like being hit in the face with a dusty bean bag swung by a gladiator.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never had a car accident of any kind in my life. Every day at work when I drive some six digit german wunderwagen I feel this enormous temptation to plow into a parked car and see what it's like when all the crash protection magicks unleash.

I just want to know what it's like :(

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Slavvy posted:

I've never had a car accident of any kind in my life. Every day at work when I drive some six digit german wunderwagen I feel this enormous temptation to plow into a parked car and see what it's like when all the crash protection magicks unleash.

I just want to know what it's like :(

Having done exactly that, i can assure you that it's not all that fun.

Also, two and a half years ago i came off a small country road at 70mph, hit a tree, and my car caught fire while i was trapped inside.

I still have problems from whiplash in my neck.

Aftermath:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Something something.. British drivers.. something something..

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

Something something.. British drivers.. something something..

Exactly this.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Mooseykins posted:

Did you get burns from the airbag as well? I've had two 70mph/120kph crashes where airbags deployed, can't remember hearing any noise at the time of impact in either case.

People think hitting an airbag is like landing on a soft pillow. It was more like being hit in the face with a dusty bean bag swung by a gladiator.

I was in a ~40 mph collision, and I can't recall a noise associated with the airbags, if there is one I am thinking it is masked by the noise of bending metal and breaking glass.

I didn't even touch the airbag though, the seatbelt held me in place quite well.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

`Nemesis posted:

I was in a ~40 mph collision, and I can't recall a noise associated with the airbags, if there is one I am thinking it is masked by the noise of bending metal and breaking glass.

I didn't even touch the airbag though, the seatbelt held me in place quite well.

If you deploy one they go with a bang. I can only assume (in my cases) that i couldn't hear anything because the entire situation is overwhelming. I can visually remember the moment before the crash, the impact and the flash of the airbag deploying, but no noise.

After my first crash, i woke up a few times in following nights having replayed it in my sleep. The crashing sound was seemingly deafening, and quite terrifying to by woken up by.

Crashes are not fun. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't remember my head-on collision at the time, but over time I sort of got a memory of it. Never decided if I actually remember it and my brain is putting the pieces together, or I invented it after the fact. All I solidly remembered is after everything came to a halt.. smoke coming from the steering wheel from the airbag, and banging around on the dashboard trying to find my glasses.

Car wrecks are loving weird.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like a private avalanche for a very small number of participants, as far as I can tell.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slavvy posted:

Like a private avalanche for a very small number of participants, as far as I can tell.

I wrecked my L300 under steering into a wall at about 45.

I was a dumb young driver, hooning in a parking lot. Turned too late, skidded diagonally over a curb, onto a section of gravel as wide as the car, bounced off the wall hard enough to completely move the engine and trans axle of the mountings via the passenger wheel; the bounce straightened me out, the remaining momentum pushed my car through a desert pine, and off the landscaping that was acting like a gravel pit.

I stopped halfway off the landscaping between the wall and a huge boulder, with the tree on my hood.
I remember everything smelling very... piney, with hints of oil and burnt metal. I didn't have the airbags deploy somehow, and I remember everything being incredibly gentle, all things considered. I had no injuries luckily and pretty much got off without a property damage report; to this day I count myself incredibly lucky to survive my own stupidity.

I now advocate for safer driving amongst my friends and family, hoping to dissuade then from thinking unsafe driving will impress me or others.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 7, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wasabi the J posted:

I wrecked my L300 under steering into a wall at about 45.

As in the van? Those definitely never had any airbags to deploy in the first place

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

dissss posted:

As in the van? Those definitely never had any airbags to deploy in the first place

No, the Saturn.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fucknag posted:

No, the Saturn.

Well that does explain why you're still posting

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Not my car, or post. :)

I'm just assuming based on the "transaxle" and that we only got that van for a couple years, sold as the "Van" rather than L300.

But also that Wasabi the J is still alive, yes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I got whacked by an 18 wheeler after having a blowout and overcorrecting. 100% my fault.

Airbags didn't deploy, but all I remember from it is "ohshitohshitohshit" as the car started to spin, then wondering why I was covered in broken glass and in the grass, then wondering who the jackass yelling at me was (... driver of said 18 wheeler). I don't remember the actual impact at all, and still managed to drive what was left of the car home (every wheel pointing a different direction, trunk wouldn't close, sunroof shattered, exhaust was now center-exit, etc).

Still no idea why they never finished the claim against my insurance - I got the claim started, and 6 months later I got a letter in the mail saying they had never heard anything back from the truck company beyond the initial claim, and had tried to reach them several times. I managed to take out one of the running boards, a fender, and put a decent dent in one of the fuel tanks. Impressive for 18 wheeler vs 95 Civic, though he did tell me the trailer was empty.

I walked away with just cuts and whiplash, still amazed how well that Civic held up in that. The door even still opened just fine, which just blew me away (the B pillar was pushed in almost a foot, along with the door itself).

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was a passenger in my sister's Neon when she hit a Lexus hard enough to deploy the airbags (other guy was at fault, he pulled away from a stop sign when he shouldn't have.) I have no memory of seeing or hearing the airbags go off, just that suddenly there were these deflated flappy things in front of us. The smell of the charge stuck around in my nose for days, though, plus I got a nice bruise from my seatbelt that turned a fascinating array of colors over the following week or so.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I was involved in three accidents, all did not have an airbag deploy. One was a rear ending at a traffic light, one was a side impact (early 90s car with no side impact curtains) and the most recent was my truck t-boning a dumb teen that blows through a yield sign on a forested road. Luckily that crash only wrecked my steel lightbar and it was about 20mph. The girl's car was damaged bad and I saw one of her passenger's heads rebound off the side window. After the crash her friends booked it. Turns out she was not supposed to have passengers in her car.

I tell that story to my students in Drivers Ed, don't be distracting the driver or drive like an idiot. The girl got the ticket and her insurance covered my repairs.

We also keep a deployed airbag system in class and I pass it around to have the students feel what material it is made out of. When they realize it's not going to be soft satin it usually convinces them to drive safely in the future.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Me and another goon blowing up an airbag. Its pretty violent and blew that wheel up in the air pretty good. Sorry about my stupid laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90LgiLm__rE

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ringo Star Get posted:

I was involved in three accidents, all did not have an airbag deploy. One was a rear ending at a traffic light, one was a side impact (early 90s car with no side impact curtains) and the most recent was my truck t-boning a dumb teen that blows through a yield sign on a forested road. Luckily that crash only wrecked my steel lightbar and it was about 20mph. The girl's car was damaged bad and I saw one of her passenger's heads rebound off the side window. After the crash her friends booked it. Turns out she was not supposed to have passengers in her car.

I tell that story to my students in Drivers Ed, don't be distracting the driver or drive like an idiot. The girl got the ticket and her insurance covered my repairs.

We also keep a deployed airbag system in class and I pass it around to have the students feel what material it is made out of. When they realize it's not going to be soft satin it usually convinces them to drive safely in the future.

Part of my vehicle safety systems class was setting off a steering wheel airbag outside of the car; we set them off inside an old tire cage. There was a lot of "holy poo poo, I never want that going off in front of me, gonna drive like a grandma from now on" from everybody after it went off.

Those things are frickin' scary but I know when they function as designed they do a lot of good. Still, a burlap sack explosively expanding at 250mph two feet from my face is something I never want to experience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Caught this rolling hemorrhoid yesterday at lunch and that's a dealer plate on it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Fart Pipe posted:

Me and another goon blowing up an airbag. Its pretty violent and blew that wheel up in the air pretty good. Sorry about my stupid laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90LgiLm__rE

Well of course it's going to lift the steering wheel those must weight only like 10lbs. . . Ooooh. :aaa:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
For the goon in the L300 - I've seen and heard of times where airbags won't deploy if the sensors aren't triggered. Usually that happens in front end collisions, so you skidding sideways probably means there were no sensors outside the front bumper area, and I don't recall that model Saturn ever having the side curtain airbags (I could be wrong though).

Case in point: I got rear-ended at a red light back in '99, on my way to deposit a paycheck at the bank. 78 year old guy delivering a new Ford F-150 to a nearby dealership wasn't paying attention and slammed into my car doing at least 45mph. Wrecked the frame, trunk wouldn't close, rear bumper fell off, and the jolt whipped me forward and back hard enough to break the driver's seat in the recline position. No airbag deployment at all in that case, messed up my upper back and neck pretty good (spent 3 weeks, 3 days a week at a chiropractor getting straightened out once I confirmed no bones were broken).

I had another accident a few years after that during winter while driving home from the gym - it snowed a little bit and I took the interstate, all traffic was doing at most 35-40mph the whole way. I took my off-ramp, found out real quick it hadn't been plowed well and was covering black ice. I dropped gears to slow down, lost traction, over-corrected and spun front-first into a light pole, glancing off and spinning into the grass off to the side. Airbag DID go off that time, but in all the confusion and craziness, I just remembered the sound of the crash itself and the smell/heat from the airbag itself when it deployed. Pretty sure that the interior lights come on to make it easier for the victim (and any bystanders or emergency crews) to see, or tell if someone is inside and needs help getting out.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

slidebite posted:

Caught this rolling hemorrhoid yesterday at lunch and that's a dealer plate on it

Take the wheels off the fenders and I'd drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Strange coincidence, this was just posted on a russian forum i frequent. That is a Cadillac Seville Grandeur Opera Coupe, a $200,000(in today's money) GM K-body. This is a Stutz IV Porte, a $200,000(in today's money) GM B-body.

Also, this hellaflush stuff is going too far.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 8, 2015