Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

thisdude23 posted:

What are the best non-spark phones? I like using data while I talk on the phone (actually comes in very handy) and I travel distances to work so I don't want to lose this.

2013 Moto X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Stick100 posted:

td4guy posted:

The Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 or the HTC One (M7). Or an iPhone 5s/5c.
Gotta be careful the to get a specific model of S4 as it switched to Spark 1/2 through it production cycle.
Yeah, that model number I mentioned right there.

Also I forgot a big one: the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Thanks. I have an S4 right now. Is it worth switching to another one of those or do I have the best of the bunch?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I guess I am in a super small minority.
I bought a new house a bit over a year ago and the verizon tower is on the other side of the hill so I can't get a signal. Verizon told me that 13 people in my subdivision have network extenders and after some negotiating the supervisor agreed to give me one for free but they were out of stock. He promised they would call me back and didn't. When I called back 3 weeks later they denied that they ever said such a thing. After another week of demanding that a supervisor call me back I called sprint and they offered me a better deal. (Also I know that sprint works at my house)

Currently I pay $165ish for 2 lines. 450 mins, 500 text and unlimited data on my line, 450 unlimited text and 2 gb data for wifey. Sprint offered me $100 for both lines unlimited everything.

I'm just a little hesitant to give up my vzw unlimited data even though they've been such pricks to me. I get that as a legacy unlimited data holder verizon hates me with a firey passion.

Aside from (it appears anyway) losing the ability to stream my xfinity service using the xfinity go app is there anything I'd be losing out on? For what it's worth we are in the Eugene Oregon area.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Does that $100 include the price of the phones?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Biodome posted:

Does that $100 include the price of the phones?

It does not, however as a verizon legacy unlimited I have to buy my phone at retail forever anyway.
I can get an iPhone 5c for $150 easily but am looking at the 6 Plus. Even with the cost of the phone I'd still be paying less and my wife would gain unlimited data.

As far as data goes, she uses about 1.9 gb every month and every other month she goes up to about 2 1/2 gb which verizon charges an extra $10 for. So if she went hog wild she could be raising my bill by $20/mo every month. I use 8-20 go/mo every month but once used 40 between the Olympics and mlb.tv. So I can not give up unlimited data, anything else would be way too expensive.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Nm.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 22, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

E. Doesn't matter, Sprint wants the phone back.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 23, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I upgraded with sprint to the iPhone 6 and I want to sell my old sprint iPhone 5 on swappa. Should I bother unlocking it first? It looks like I could get more for it, correct?

I was disappointed with the LTE service on my 5, but it hasn't been that bad on the 6 (so far...)

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Sprint can't/won't perform a Domestic SIM Unlock on the 5, only an International SIM Unlock. For US buyers, it's only good for Sprint and MVNOs like Ting.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

goku chewbacca posted:

Sprint can't/won't perform a Domestic SIM Unlock on the 5, only an International SIM Unlock.

Yes they will. http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

edit: Oh, they'll only do the 5S/5C. I forgot the 5 existed, sorry!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I used to share a Sprint EPRP plan with my now-ex and mother with the account under my name. A few months ago my mother and I switched to T-mobile and ported our two lines over, while my ex stayed on the Sprint account. I falsely assumed that porting my number over would simply put the account under my ex's name but Sprint isn't that smart. I also falsely assumed that my ex could pay her loving bills but I'm also wrong about that too... so I've been getting late notices and might be getting sent to collections (yay!). What's the easiest way to fix this clusterfuck?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

FlyingCheese posted:

So I used to share a Sprint EPRP plan with my now-ex and mother with the account under my name. A few months ago my mother and I switched to T-mobile and ported our two lines over, while my ex stayed on the Sprint account. I falsely assumed that porting my number over would simply put the account under my ex's name but Sprint isn't that smart. I also falsely assumed that my ex could pay her loving bills but I'm also wrong about that too... so I've been getting late notices and might be getting sent to collections (yay!). What's the easiest way to fix this clusterfuck?

call sprint

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

FlyingCheese posted:

Ignore it for seven years while dodging calls from collections agencies and let it fall off your credit report.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Ignore it for seven years while dodging calls from collections agencies and let it fall off your credit report.

No no no. You answer the phone the first time and say "pursuant to the consumer protection act I here demand all communications to be in writing." And then recycle the mail they send.

Almost all of my clients have bad credit and screen all calls / dodge creditors all day. It makes it a serious pain when I try to call them from my unreadable untitled phone line when they are positive I am a collector. Ironically I am calling to try and keep their food stamps from being late because they didn't fill out / sign their form or attach pay stubs like the paperwork says to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

otter posted:

No no no. You answer the phone the first time and say "pursuant to the consumer protection act I here demand all communications to be in writing." And then recycle the mail they send.

Almost all of my clients have bad credit and screen all calls / dodge creditors all day. It makes it a serious pain when I try to call them from my unreadable untitled phone line when they are positive I am a collector. Ironically I am calling to try and keep their food stamps from being late because they didn't fill out / sign their form or attach pay stubs like the paperwork says to.

This is correct advice. Follow this. Also if they call you again after that, you can get money out of them. A lot of collection agencies break the law because they know the people they are dealing with are usually ignorant of their rights.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

otter posted:

Oh, sorry for making a joke!

But are you guys serious? Call Sprint, get that poo poo sorted out, and if your ex can't afford to pay to get the line over in her name, cancel it and gently caress it, she can figure out how to get her own service. Keep your credit straight Jesus Christ.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Did Sprint recently change their legacy contract upgrade scheme?

Previously, we'd been able to upgrade via contract renewal every 1.5 years (on a 2 year contract) so I had been confirmed for an upgrade this April... now both Sprint's site and Best Buy's upgrade checker are telling me that I'm not eligible until August. I'm assuming this is an attempt to get legacy contract subscribers to transition to their Easy Pay garbage.

e: confirmed by more people as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/2xkpin/sprint_upgrade_policy_change/

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 6, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zenintrude posted:

Did Sprint recently change their legacy contract upgrade scheme?

Previously, we'd been able to upgrade via contract renewal every 1.5 years (on a 2 year contract) so I had been confirmed for an upgrade this April... now both Sprint's site and Best Buy's upgrade checker are telling me that I'm not eligible until August. I'm assuming this is an attempt to get legacy contract subscribers to transition to their Easy Pay garbage.

Huh I think you're right. I bought a new phone in December, but had been eligible since July 2014, previous phone bought in November 2012. Now I'm not eligible again until December 2016.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I was wondering about that too, but for a different reason. I checked my sister's upgrade eligibility and it says January 2016, but her last phone upgrade was August 2013, which I remember because I got her a phone for her birthday. She wanted to upgrade sooner but it looks like she has to wait another 9 months.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My account has gone from 1.5 to 2 years until an upgrade as well. :/

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

This has me completely rethinking my next phone... will probably stop looking at GS6/M9 comparisons and instead look forward to 6s. Now to investigate how to seamlessly transition from Android to iOS.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
My upgrade date didn't change. I just texted 1311 and it said I'm eligible as of 3/1/15.

Still planning on leaving instead of upgrading, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zenintrude posted:

This has me completely rethinking my next phone... will probably stop looking at GS6/M9 comparisons and instead look forward to 6s. Now to investigate how to seamlessly transition from Android to iOS.

Yeah, i'm thinking my next phone is going to be iOS as well. Not until late next year at the earliest though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Stevie Lee posted:

My upgrade date didn't change. I just texted 1311 and it said I'm eligible as of 3/1/15.

Still planning on leaving instead of upgrading, though.

1311 tells me I'm eligible as of 8/1/14 which was only a year into my current contract. I'm confused by this... assuming it's bait to get people into stores so they can be pitched Easy Pay.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

They really want us to switch to Easy Pay. They actually spent the money to send me a pamphlet via FedEx Express the other day. It said something like "you've had your old phone for a long time, consider leasing a Samsung Galaxy S5".

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
1311 has me eligible on the 18-month date. It will suck if this is a slow change and I'm just not updated yet.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

zenintrude posted:

1311 tells me I'm eligible as of 8/1/14 which was only a year into my current contract. I'm confused by this... assuming it's bait to get people into stores so they can be pitched Easy Pay.

When I first signed up for Sprint to get the Evo 4G, the guy who set up my account at Sam's Club hosed up somehow and allowed both my lines to be eligible for an upgrade immediately. Unfortunately, I decided to get an Evo 3D with that.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

td4guy posted:

They really want us to switch to Easy Pay. They actually spent the money to send me a pamphlet via FedEx Express the other day. It said something like "you've had your old phone for a long time, consider leasing a Samsung Galaxy S5".

Me too!! Only mine was "get a new iphone 6!!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My line has been eligible for three months under the 20-month rule, and it looks like it still is. Still ditching Sprint in a month when the contract is fulfilled.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Curious now with the change in unlock policies, do Sprint smartphones have the capabilities of being used on a GSM network? I know any Verizon LTE phone can be used and get at least HSPA+ but I'm finding conflicting info on Sprint devices.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Lblitzer posted:

Curious now with the change in unlock policies, do Sprint smartphones have the capabilities of being used on a GSM network? I know any Verizon LTE phone can be used and get at least HSPA+ but I'm finding conflicting info on Sprint devices.

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Most Sprint smartphones are CDMA/GSM/LTE, however only devices launched after February 2015 are guaranteed to be Domestic SIM unlockable. Most are Foreign SIM unlockable to accommodate international travelers.

iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6+ are the only pre-February 2015 that can be unlocked for domestic use.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So Sprint's unlimited data is extremely appealing to me. But I'm concerned about coverage and speed. Doing some research on the internet is yielding some mixed messages regarding this.

What are people's experiences regarding coverage, reliability, and data speed on LTE networks?

And is "unlimited" really unlimited?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 13, 2015

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

theblackw0lf posted:

So Sprint's unlimited data is extremely appealing to me. But I'm concerned about coverage and speed. Doing some research on the internet is yielding some mixed messages regarding this.

What are people's experiences regarding coverage, reliability, and data speed on LTE networks?

Speed/coverage: highly dependent on your area. Check Sensorly. I can usually get at least 6MB down, but my work AT&T phone is usually at least 4x faster. When everything works well I can top out in the 20MB range.

If you are in an old building, or underground, or in the interior of a building, you will get crappy signal.

Sometimes you won't know you got a call until you receive the voicemail notification.

My work phone on AT&T always works. My Sprint phone doesn't. I've got a good deal on the plan so I stay. We'll probably move my husband's line to Cricket this year.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

theblackw0lf posted:

Sprint is really hit or miss as far as speeds are concerned, even within a single market.

For example, in my area (Denver) as a whole it's pretty good, but there are still a few pockets (like south Littleton) where speed is absolutely atrocious.

Your best bet is to check out http://www.sensorly.com and see how they are in the areas you're in most.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

theblackw0lf posted:

I just switched from verizon 12 days ago. I've used 5.5 gb and no throttling. I've had basketball and baseball games streaming quite a bit. Coverage is just about as good as verizon in my area (eugene, Oregon) and the speed is pretty comparable but the only time I got really impressive speed on verizon was in Portland. Happy with the switch so far but it will be nice when the network gets built up better along I5.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have to say Sprint has gotten pretty good in my area. Both LTE and 3G is above 25Mbit and 2Mbit which is quite usable IMO.

That and I have used nearly 40G last month with no real throttling has to say something. Sprint coverage may not be Verizon level with their LTE yet (2016 should be the year things finish improving a good bit), but I have no issues that would tempt me away outside of phone selection.

But nobody else is going to give you True Unlimited Data, coverage and Verizon Roaming for $50.

The only thing that annoys me is when I am on 3G, getting an SMS message kills my data connection for 10-30sec and is quite annoying when you are doing something(CoC) with it. One of the only gripes I have with the Spark phones. LTE keeps this from happening unless it is a call.

I wish we could have a dual radio system like my EVO LTE and the S3 had to keep data from being an issue ever when using the phone. Ah, can't get it all.

Now if I could just port my old EVO LTE over to FreedomPOP for their free plan as a backup...

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

This thread needs some good news!
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-expand-and-improve-lte-network-may-add-20000-cell-sites/2015-02-26

quote:

Sprint plans to significantly expand its LTE network by adding potentially up to 20,000 cell sites and repurposing existing sites, according a source familiar with Sprint's plans. These plans are much more extensive than those reported by Sprint blog S4GRU, which said Sprint is planning to add 9,000 cell sites to its network.
Man, I can't wait to have 4G!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

To be completed by 2040!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Vykk.Draygo posted:

To be completed by 2040!

Hopefully in time for my 62nd birthday!