Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Can't wait to have this rot in my hand because my opponent's board is full of morphs and 2-color bomb rares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bhsman posted:

Ultimate Price being reprinted in a block with Siege Rhino seems like a cruel joke.

At least there's that Radiant Purge card, much better than Ultimate Price in the Rhino mirrors. :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Alaan posted:

Just think of it as in a block with Magic Origins to feel better.

This is true, and there are plenty of other creatures that it kills.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Quoting my question from yesterday cause it got lost in spoilerchat:

Zero_Grade posted:

What color pen is the best for getting cards signed? I'm planning on getting some done at the GP this weekend, and was looking at something besides the black sharpie that the artists used last time I got stuff signed. I was thinking maybe silver or gold sharpie to stand out a bit more.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

one of today's articles went up early

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Can't wait to have this rot in my hand because my opponent's board is full of morphs and 2-color bomb rares.

The article says you can kill face-down creatures with it, but that's not right at all is it?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A little expensive but that is pretty good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

This one might actually see some play in UB Control. That mana cost though. Sheesh.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

goferchan posted:

The article says you can kill face-down creatures with it, but that's not right at all is it?

Yeah, you can't kill a face down creature, just like you couldn't use it on Mutavault.

Edit the article actually says you can't kill face down cards.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 6, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

here are the other two:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

here are the other two:

Blue Devotion is back, baby!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

goferchan posted:

facedown creatures are colorless, so they have 0 colors rather than 1.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I want this to make blue devotion a thing, but I know better.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

HOW IS THIS NOT CALLED MEGAMORPHLING

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

Dear Wizards, please let Nils Hamm illustrate every black card you ever make. As much as I like to complain about modern magic art, I can't deny that I like this guy's style.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

I'm bad at Magic, but this seems underwhelming. Bounce one dude and -3/-3 another for 5 mana? I can wrath for that. It seems better as Hero's Downfall 5-6 with a tempo play of bouncing a land attached.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Edit not quote

deftest
May 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

This one might actually see some play in UB Control. That mana cost though. Sheesh.

Narset? Ojutai's command? I'm feeling like the day of UB control is over

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ramos posted:

Honestly, it might. I think the main thing missing from blue devotion since the departure of RTR block was Nightveil Specter, and this guy seems like an adequate replacement

I could also see him seeing play as a kill condition in a control deck.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The command is going to be a total house in limited though. Bounce your best dude, kill your other dude, swing for lethal gg.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Silumgar's command is a one-way (actually 6-way) ticket to value town. It feels like something where you'd really have to stretch to make it not a two-for-one.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Elyv posted:

Welp there goes hoping the u/b command would be good

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

moxiemag posted:

So is anyone seeing the value in buying a box yet for this release?

I'm talking pure potential on return. i'll still buy a box because i like to open product though.

It is never worth it, even if it technically is. Unless you can move everything in a box for cash or trade it for more than $95ish dollars in value in things that won't also go down in price, it isn't worth it. The only real way to do this is to do pre-sales on ebay, and in order to do something like that you need to guarantee you'll get multiple playsets of all the rares and mythics. w

The other route, you buy 1 box for $95. You get dumb lucky and it has a narset. You get even luckier and find a sap to sell it to for $50. You get 2 other playable rares/mythics, being a dumb luck sack, and you still end up losing money becuase long term your going to have $50 + 2 $5-10 cards for your $95 you spent.

Open boxes because you want to open them and never try to justify it as being worth it because you can't justify it outside of really specific circumstances which almost nobody is in. Those circumstances being you are a pre-seller and have access to distributors who will sell you many many cases at $500-550ish a case, you have the ability/manpower to crack and sort 50-100+ boxes in 2-4 days fill order pack and ship them.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

End of Life Guy posted:

I'm bad at Magic, but this seems underwhelming. Bounce one dude and -3/-3 another for 5 mana? I can wrath for that. It seems better as Hero's Downfall 5-6 with a tempo play of bouncing a land attached.

It would be sick at 4cmc, but yeah at five its only ok. UB control might run one or two, just since it consolidates the stuff all your other tool cards do so it might smooth out draws by giving you an extra downfall/(bad) blight/negate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wurzag posted:

You're nuts if you don't think that card is good. It's not a 4 of but it's DEFINITELY playable.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Starving Autist posted:

Dear Wizards, please let Nils Hamm illustrate every black card you ever make. As much as I like to complain about modern magic art, I can't deny that I like this guy's style.

It seems like it's usually a worse Far // Away.

Being able to kill planeswalkers isn't nothing though. Good response to a Sorin -2.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ramos posted:

I was halfway through checking out an order of Master of Waves before remembering I don't play Standard anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

There isn't the 2 drop UU card to support. Remember, there were 2 of those in the last standard...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wurzag posted:

Sorry your card only does four good things instead of sucking you off as well. It ain't nutzo but it's still a useful tool for a lot of situations.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

this will go great in my wavecrash triton edh deck

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

Honestly, it might. I think the main thing missing from blue devotion since the departure of RTR block was Nightveil Specter, and this guy seems like an adequate replacement

I could also see him seeing play as a kill condition in a control deck.

This guy is better than Nightveil Specter, though. Although yes, every other card around it is worse than it.

deftest posted:

Narset? Ojutai's command? I'm feeling like the day of UB control is over
:
You'll have to go back about 20 pages for my entire "Narset is a bad control card and white removal sucks" argument. Not to mention, that I'm not sure I want to switch off black to white in order to get "2WU: draw a card, counter target creature spell."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 6, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chamale posted:

I was halfway through checking out an order of Master of Waves before remembering I don't play Standard anymore.

I did this Monday when Narset was released, i bought 4 end hostilities before my brain caught up and reminded me I'm not going to spend whatever it would take to build UW control in standard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

pakman posted:

this will go great in my wavecrash triton edh deck

there's a problem with this.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I can't wait to see how awful Kolaghan's command will be, you know it will be terrible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hey now, this guy does in fact get a +1/+1 tribal bonus from Master of Waves.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

HOW IS THIS NOT CALLED MEGAMORPHLING

Cause design names rarely make it to the actual finished cards. :goonsay:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jassi007 posted:

I did this Monday when Narset was released, i bought 4 end hostilities before my brain caught up and reminded me I'm not going to spend whatever it would take to build UW control in standard.

Yeah, I have Small Red that I built for $8 and it crushes all the Standard decks at the university Magic club, so instead I focus my energies on hilarious decks like Old Fogey or Shakespeare flavourtext.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Finally, the removal spell red needs to get past Siege Rhino and Nyx-Fleece Ram. :geno:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mercury Crusader posted:

Finally, the removal spell red needs to get past Siege Rhino and Nyx-Fleece Ram. :geno:

You post this as a joke, but I wonder if Splinter Twin would replace Flame Slash with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jassi007 posted:

You post this as a joke, but I wonder if Splinter Twin would replace Flame Slash with this?

No, it won't. The extra mana really hurts a fast deck like Splinter Twin.

• Locked thread