Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Whiskey is fine. Also, where do I sign? This is that japanese $600 real life one? I have a kickstarter so the joke's on you by the way. I also know an engineer to get that thumb into a lighter for my best buy yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So even with the chat weirdness I ended up playing The Last of Us multiplayer for 5 hours. I was just Gameflying this but I may end up keeping it.

Any tips beyond "Don't go charging off by yourself like a dumbass?" And I saw there was paid multiplayer DLC -- does that significantly affect the gameplay in any way? I see people with the hunting bow, for example, and I don't think that's a weapon any of the default classes have...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was the dad. It was surreal, it would happen in between his deaths. I could hear the kid crying faintly in the background. The dad was also asking him "Do you know why I hit you? Do you know why I hit you?"

I ran into that recently in that game too. I seriously wonder if it was the same guy. He was bragging about blowing weed smoke in the kids face and telling him he was going to hit him again if he didn't go to sleep.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any tips beyond "Don't go charging off by yourself like a dumbass?" And I saw there was paid multiplayer DLC -- does that significantly affect the gameplay in any way? I see people with the hunting bow, for example, and I don't think that's a weapon any of the default classes have...

The paid DLC is just weapons and perks that are pretty well balanced with everything else. if you end up really liking it they are worth buying imo, but you aren't at a disadvantage by not having them. The most arguably op stuff is in the main game (shotgun, semi auto rifle, burst rifle)

Couple of tips:

-It's best to play with a group. People always say pubbies are garbage in games but bad pubbies in TLOU can really gently caress your poo poo up.
-Probably best not to run off by yourself unless you have a specific reason and know what you are doing. Sneaking up behind the enemy alone can be really effective though.
-Play aggressively but smart. Don't camp out for too long or you'll get overwhelmed or stabbed.
-Don't buy armor or consumables unless you are up poo poo creek or your build is focused on a purchasable weapon. Max out your gun first.
-Healing is a good way to get a ton of parts for newcomers.
-The shotgun is powerful as hell. Feel free to exploit it
-Covert 2 is probably the best perk. You get a shiv and if you don't use it you can be seen through walls even if you are sneaking.
-survivors is the only way to play imo

...There's lots more, but I'll probably stop there before I accidentally write a wall of text.

Add me if you want. PSN: Monostat7. We play most nights.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 6, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Interrogation is the best TLOU mode. It just makes such great use of all the mechanics.

e: add gimearubdown if you don't want to play survivors...sorry monostat..

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I played TLoU with goons, it was fun, I got my plat and won a lot! Fun Times! Teamwork!

-Scyron57

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Is there anyway to record party chat audio in videos? I don't want to stream at the same time, and the option to share audio in party settings is grayed out. If you have to be streaming to do it, I think that's pretty stupid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: I was just trying to remember how to turn party chat off in recorded videos because I'm sick of ruining my videos with my stupid voice. The option somewhere in the settings, but I forgot where.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Yodzilla posted:

On the other end of the spectrum is The Order which sucks on ice. Almost done with this poo poo.

Lol, don't know if anybody has already told you this, but you don't have to play games if you don't like them.

I also want to say that Valiant Hearts is awesome. It's the ideal game to play if you don't have that much time. Solve a puzzel/level, stop playing. Pick it up later.
And the graphic style is really really cool, and the audio is awesome too. Bombs dropping on the rhytmn of classical music? Yes please.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
http://youtu.be/_-oEWjmBUIk

Two teammates die so I bolt in the APC. I figure I'll get some breathing room and call them back down.

The momentum of the APC ran me over.

Shared PS4 streams of this game would be 1000% better if you could hear us hooting and screaming and losing our poo poo laughing.

Good games Coldforge, RadValtar and RichardGatsby!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NESguerilla posted:

I ran into that recently in that game too. I seriously wonder if it was the same guy. He was bragging about blowing weed smoke in the kids face and telling him he was going to hit him again if he didn't go to sleep.

Haha this dude sounds like an extremely high quality person. God drat.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Scyron posted:

Not to derail the thread for the 256th time with Souls chat, but what are the lizard people weak against? I used sword and spear, and never found a good physical damage number for what I was using, and at more than high enough souls level. Maybe I just sucked at DaS, or some small facet eluded me but at least I got my platinum in DeS, so gently caress off if you think I don't get how to play the games.

They're weak against the traps and the deadly falls that are covering every inch of Sen's Fortress. Literally the first room where you encounter them, you're fighting two Lizardmen. You can trigger the arrow traps in the room and kill one entirely while wounding the other, making him pretty easy to take on -- you're not meant to take them head-on, that's the entire point.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Does Helldivers support local co-op with online multiplayer? (can me and my gf play together local with 2 online people?)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Filthee Fingas posted:

Does Helldivers support local co-op with online multiplayer? (can me and my gf play together local with 2 online people?)

Yep, Giant Bomb's Quick Look had that happen. They originally had 3 local players showing off the game and a 4th online person came in.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
If any one cares, Zombie Army Trilogy is pretty fun if you play the co-op campaign or horde mode. Solo campaign is a long frustrating slog.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep, Giant Bomb's Quick Look had that happen. They originally had 3 local players showing off the game and a 4th online person came in.

Amazing Thanks

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Bloodborne rumoured to be 41Gb in size, glad I got that 2TB HDD.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

beedeebee posted:

Lol, don't know if anybody has already told you this, but you don't have to play games if you don't like them.

I also want to say that Valiant Hearts is awesome. It's the ideal game to play if you don't have that much time. Solve a puzzel/level, stop playing. Pick it up later.
And the graphic style is really really cool, and the audio is awesome too. Bombs dropping on the rhytmn of classical music? Yes please.

Haha yeah I know but it's a short game and I wanted to see it through to the end. If The Order: 1886 was actually a launch title and sold at $40 I honestly think it would be okay but as it stands there's nothing about it that justifies the price or it coming out this late into the PS4's life. Also the fact that it just ends in a cliffhanger that sets up the real story is straight up insulting.

Valiant Hearts is definitely next for me though. It's been a loooong time since I've been able to just sit down and play some games and that's one I've been looking forward to.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The Order should have been a pack-in title at launch, really.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

it coming out this late into the PS4's life

The PS4 has been out for like a year and a half???

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I decided I should try to make a dent in my plus backlog and that furry-ish Dust game they gave away ages ago is pretty good, eh? Very impressive for a one-man-band type game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Leyburn posted:

I decided I should try to make a dent in my plus backlog and that furry-ish Dust game they gave away ages ago is pretty good, eh? Very impressive for a one-man-band type game.

It's quite good, but somewhat tedious, because the combat does not actually evolve throughout the game and you'll be fighting a lot. Also, the balance is somewhat skewed so you can become overpowered without much thinking and can eat as much as you like, so the only things that stay dangerous are environmental hazards.

Too bad the character art is so low quality compared to the actual scenery and the graphical effects.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

o.m. 94 posted:

The PS4 has been out for like a year and a half???

Yeah but we're well outside of the "this game sucks hard but it's launch day and it looks nice and there's nothing else out."

...not that Knack won any hearts with that argument either.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Fuzz posted:

Holy poo poo you all need to buy Helldivers. Goddamn, so much fun.

This. Although I haven't hit a point where my mech just doesn't wreck everything... Except when a teammate drops an orbital care package on my head.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manac0r posted:

Bloodborne rumoured to be 41Gb in size, glad I got that 2TB HDD.
Jesus. On the PC anyway, Dark Souls 2 is only 14gb, with all the DLC. Dark Souls 1 is 4.

edit: does that just mean way more more high res cutscenes or something stupid like that, or has the world actually that much bigger and more detailed?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 6, 2015

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Is there much point getting Helldivers if you mostly play stuff singleplayer? It looks fun and I liked magica but it looks like the game relies on you having more than 1 player

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schroeder91 posted:

Is there anyway to record party chat audio in videos? I don't want to stream at the same time, and the option to share audio in party settings is grayed out. If you have to be streaming to do it, I think that's pretty stupid.

You can record yourself but not anyone else. Sharing party chat is for streaming, and they have to have that option set to share for them to be heard on stream anyway. It will record ingame voice chat, though, so if you want your friends to be heard you can always leave your party. Everyone but you will be really quiet though.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Jesus. On the PC anyway, Dark Souls 2 is only 14gb, with all the DLC. Dark Souls 1 is 4.

edit: does that just mean way more more high res cutscenes or something stupid like that, or has the world actually that much bigger and more detailed?

I'd imagine the bulk of that is higher-res textures for the game world, textures take up a lot of space. Doesn't mean the game-world will necessarily be any bigger.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

It might be the sound design in general. From's games even on PS1 don't have a lot of voice acting but do have tons of sound effects/monster noises/ambient tracks/etc. Between that and stuff probably not being compressed it doesn't surprise me. The lighting engine and texture size may be more intense here than their previous game also (like what makes the IdTech games so big). Their weapon and armor textures are always designed in a fairly high resolution which wasn't really apparent on the PS3/360. But I guess here they can proudly join the ranks of Wolfenstein, Evil Within and Killzone Shadowfall with the 40GB install. The former two there are only 7GB installs on the PS3 so it really is just bigger uncompressed textures I guess.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

We're also getting scholar of the first sin, the ds2 remaster for ps4 in April and I bet that jumps a lot from the install size of ds2 on ps3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MZ posted:

I'd imagine the bulk of that is higher-res textures for the game world, textures take up a lot of space. Doesn't mean the game-world will necessarily be any bigger.
Yeah, bigger textures is definitely something it needs. The previous games had very interesting textures, but very low and sometimes inconsistent resolution.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

idTech 5 games are so big because megatextures are stupid wasteful ugly garbage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, bigger textures is definitely something it needs. The previous games had very interesting textures, but very low and sometimes inconsistent resolution.

Dark Souls 1 looked pretty good, but it mostly did so by having a really aggressive depth of field filter on everything, which gave it a sort of loose and blurry feel which worked really well for Dark Souls' aesthetic. The actual texture resolution was really awful.

DS2 cranks the textures way up from DS1. Way way up.

Bloodborne is again leagues ahead of DS2, though. Eeeeeeeverything is normal mapped in really high resolution. It looks pretty bonkers.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can I somehow get the OlliOlli2 soundtrack on my phone? Please? Please? PLEASE?!

I got bored with Dragon Age so I've been going through the PS+ games I skipped, and Counterspy and OlliOlli really stick out as great games. Still haven't really touched Rogue Legacy or Valiant Hearts, though.

Is it me or is Abe's Odyssey kind of...bad? I remember playing at least one of these as a kid and enjoying it, but the insta-deaths and relatively clunky controls on this one turned me off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

We're also getting scholar of the first sin, the ds2 remaster for ps4 in April and I bet that jumps a lot from the install size of ds2 on ps3.

There was a rumor this release would have the lighting engine restored, is that still a thing? It would drastically change up how the game is played, part of why shields are so good in it is because it was initially designed with the mindset that you'd have a weapon and a torch out instead of a shield most of the time. I mean I'm not going to be disappointed if it's just the game+1080p/60FPS but it would be interesting to see that take on the game outside of the early demos I played.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

EC posted:

Can I somehow get the OlliOlli2 soundtrack on my phone? Please? Please? PLEASE?!

I got bored with Dragon Age so I've been going through the PS+ games I skipped, and Counterspy and OlliOlli really stick out as great games. Still haven't really touched Rogue Legacy or Valiant Hearts, though.

Is it me or is Abe's Odyssey kind of...bad? I remember playing at least one of these as a kid and enjoying it, but the insta-deaths and relatively clunky controls on this one turned me off.

Abe is definitely a game from it's time. The sequel Abe's Exoddus is far more better in terms of letting you save at anytime, where as this game, if you gently caress up trying to save all the slaves, well tought poo poo, reload the last save.

edit:

No they didn't change the lighting system that drastically, and it's not going to be like that e3 demo that was shown off. I mean VatiVidya did show off one of the places did get changed up that did require a torch.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a rumor this release would have the lighting engine restored, is that still a thing? It would drastically change up how the game is played, part of why shields are so good in it is because it was initially designed with the mindset that you'd have a weapon and a torch out instead of a shield most of the time. I mean I'm not going to be disappointed if it's just the game+1080p/60FPS but it would be interesting to see that take on the game outside of the early demos I played.

The game's lighting has been changed, but don't expect stuff on the level of the e3 trailers or anything. Some areas are much darker, though, and the areas that we've seen in previews all have mixed up enemy placements, including some hellish looking ones a big dragon in front of Ornstein, for example. From the previews it looks good enough to pick up, although I probably won't do so until after I'm done with Bloodborne.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

EC posted:

The game's lighting has been changed, but don't expect stuff on the level of the e3 trailers or anything. Some areas are much darker, though, and the areas that we've seen in previews all have mixed up enemy placements, including some hellish looking ones a big dragon in front of Ornstein, for example. From the previews it looks good enough to pick up, although I probably won't do so until after I'm done with Bloodborne.
Is this stuff going to be applied to the PC version, or not?

If not, though I didn't like DS2 as much as 1, I could consider double dipping if the price is right.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

Abe is definitely a game from it's time. The sequel Abe's Exoddus is far more better in terms of letting you save at anytime, where as this game, if you gently caress up trying to save all the slaves, well tought poo poo, reload the last save.

edit:

No they didn't change the lighting system that drastically, and it's not going to be like that e3 demo that was shown off. I mean VatiVidya did show off one of the places did get changed up that did require a torch.

You can quicksave in the Oddyssey remake.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

EC posted:

Makes sense since it's coming out pretty soon after they announced it. Now that From is so popular maybe they could play around with the lighting concept by bringing back one of their darker games like Shadow Tower. It'd be a good thing creatively, in the early PS2 days they took a bunch of King's Field concepts and broke them up into Otogi, Eternal Ring, King's Field 4 and Shadow Tower Abyss and played around with the idea a little differently in each. Then it all coalesced back together into Demon's Souls which was like the ultimate game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this stuff going to be applied to the PC version, or not?

If not, though I didn't like DS2 as much as 1, I could consider double dipping if the price is right.

Mixed up enemy placement and dx11 version is going to be the new version only, so you'll have to rebuy it on the PC to see that stuff. The existing PC version was patched with the new NPC, boss fights, and item descriptions, though.

• Locked thread