Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorillaMan!
Mar 5, 2015

Hobo Erotica posted:

Thanks guys, sounds like what I was expecting, an explosion of words in the coming months. We did ask our pediatrician about it when we were there a while back (when he wasn't eating much), and they said not to worry till he's 2. If it keeps on past 24 months we'll revisit. Was just curious about others' experience. I just want him to stop being lazy so we can have conversations already! And watching him learn and play with things like "lastday" will be great :3:

My daughter did not speak much until she was closer to 3 years old which concerned my wife and I a lot. After talking to friends and family we found it was a perfectly natural thing. Kids just take their time, now my daughter is turning 4 and has an amazing vocabulary, counts and is learning to read. Sometimes they just take in information without letting you know for the first few years and will surprise you one day. Cherish these cuter times, with word usage comes great suffering on the parents behalf when your kid threatens to shank her sunday school teacher (true story) and cusses her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Built Arthur a big boy bed yesterday. He slept in it well and woke up a few times, no more than usual. But when I went to get him this morning I found this.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

greatn posted:

Built Arthur a big boy bed yesterday. He slept in it well and woke up a few times, no more than usual. But when I went to get him this morning I found this.

A+ for problem solving skills.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jassi007 posted:

A+ for problem solving skills.

Just wish I knew what problem he was trying to solve!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

greatn posted:

Just wish I knew what problem he was trying to solve!

'I like sleeping in a cozy nest'

My five year old still likes to mound his blankets up in a big pile around his pillow and perch inside them to sleep. If we get him to lie down 'properly at least 50% of the time we come back to the best in the morning.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\ My 6 y.o. also sleeps with mountain of poo poo in his bed. Extra blankets, a ton of stuffies, all around him. There he is, wadded up in the middle. It's a security thing.

greatn posted:

Ha! I love it. Liam did that to me a couple times when he was 2.5-ish. Scared me half to death (that he'd fall or collapse the drat table.) Shortly thereafter, I got rid of the table. ;)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've got a retractable gate I can install, used to have it on his crib after I took the side off but he started lifting his mattress up causing it to fall off every day. His new mattress wouldn't be so easy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I put up the retractable gate, and when I went in this morning he was asleep in his bed. His door was wide open though so at some point he woke up, wandered around, and went back to sleep without trying to come see us. That worries me a little. What did he do, make a sandwich?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

greatn posted:

Well I put up the retractable gate, and when I went in this morning he was asleep in his bed. His door was wide open though so at some point he woke up, wandered around, and went back to sleep without trying to come see us. That worries me a little. What did he do, make a sandwich?

We found our oldest sleeping on the couch downstairs a couple times last summer. My guess is his room was warm but he always seemed really confused so I suspect he sleepwalked his way there. :shrug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well since we're competing here the daycare workers said they found David sleeping while standing last night :colbert:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My son said his first word just after 12 months (dog) but that was all he would say for the next 6 months or so. Now he's 26 months and he talks CONSTANTLY - I love it, but man does it wear on you at times.

"Daddy! Look, digger!"

If he doesn't get a response, he'll repeat it until he does.

Him: "DADDY! Look, digger!"

Me: "Oh wow, yeah, that's a nice digger! What colour is it?"

Him: "Red digger!"

*5 seconds pause*

Him: "Daddy! Look, red digger!"

And so the cycle begins anew.

The first thing he said to me this morning was: "Daddy! Oh no, zombie digger!" with the most mournful expression on his face. I have absolutely no idea where he learned 'zombie'. :zombie:

Can you tell that he's in love with diggers right now? :lol:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 6, 2015

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
My son NEVER STOPS TALKING either, though he's still in the simple 2 word phrase stage... it's insane, I had no idea how much kids could just talk nonstop. MAMA TRUCK. TRUCK, MAMA. TRUCK. TRUCK. TRUCK. BIG TRUCK. WHOAAAAAAA. MAMA. MAMA. MOMMY? TRUCK MOMMY. AWWWWWW TRUCK. UP? UP? HUGGGGGGGGG. HUG TRUCK. PWEESE? TRUCK PWEESE? UP. UP. TRUCK. MAMA, TRUCK. I mean, I respond to him of course but you start to just go on autopilot. Yes, a truck! A big truck! Look at that big truck. No, you can't have the truck, I'm sorry, it's not yours. Yes, I see the truck! No, I'm sorry, the truck cannot pick you up, it's a truck. Aw, you want the truck to hug you. I can hug you instead... Yes, a truck! I see the truck...

Actually, does anyone else's kid ask everyone/everything to pick them up/hug them? Whenever we have the TV on my son will ask the people on TV to pick him up or hug him, he asks inanimate objects to pick him up/hug him, he walks up to strangers and says "Up! Up!" It's kind of hilarious/cute but I worry that people will think the poor kid never gets any affection at home!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bardeh posted:

My son said his first word just after 12 months (dog) but that was all he would say for the next 6 months or so. Now he's 26 months and he talks CONSTANTLY - I love it, but man does it wear on you at times.

"Daddy! Look, digger!"

If he doesn't get a response, he'll repeat it until he does.

Him: "DADDY! Look, digger!"

Me: "Oh wow, yeah, that's a nice digger! What colour is it?"

Him: "Red digger!"

*5 seconds pause*

Him: "Daddy! Look, red digger!"

And so the cycle begins anew.

The first thing he said to me this morning was: "Daddy! Oh no, zombie digger!" with the most mournful expression on his face. I have absolutely no idea where he learned 'zombie'. :zombie:

Can you tell that he's in love with diggers right now? :lol:

What's a digger? That's another word you gotta be careful when he has a cold.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

greatn posted:

A construction vehicle of some type.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
A digger https://www.google.com/search?q=dig...revid=501705535

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

greatn posted:

That's another word you gotta be careful when he has a cold.

Having a 3-year-old with a slight tongue-tie is sometimes exciting. He can't comfortably produce initial s-, st-, sk-, or sp- sounds (for a while he couldn't at all, but he's been intermittently doing it for the last two months or so), so as a result s becomes t ("can I tit on the teat with you?"), sk becomes g ("mommy gratch my back?"), sp becomes either p or b ("I need a boon!").... and st- becomes d. During music class: "Rhythm dicks, please!" While in the yard: "Mommy, I found two dicks!" Getting ready to leave the house: "Take big dick with us?" :allears:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm having a small, irrational dad moment.

This morning it's 30 degrees so I was gonna warm up the car first. I started it in the garage but forgot to open the garage door (no baby in the car or anything) It was only like 2 or 3 minutes while I went and got 7 month old Nora ready and that's when I realized I had left the door closed. Now the garage smelled like fumes but it wasn't cloudy or anything and she wasn't in the car but I quickly put her in the car and opened the door and backed out and we were off to daycare. There's no way that did any damage or anything right?

I haven't had a worry over anything (especially her many falls as she learns to sit up by herself) in a couple of months and thought I was doing great and then I do this and go into ":byodood: oh my god I'm harming my baby! :byodood:" mode.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

greatn posted:

Took the eldest to see Thomas the tank engine. At the top of his lungs he screamed, "WHERE'S PERCY?!?! I WANNA SEE PERCY!!!"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Half of these are backhoe loaders and the other half are excavators. C'mon people, we don't need to dumb things down for our kids.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
They're all steam shovels to me!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sudont posted:

I mean, I respond to him of course but you start to just go on autopilot.

Haha, I'm not a perfect parent, but my daughter lucked out in this department and got what appears to be the only parent in the world who isn't bothered by this. In fact, I love it, because I'm that way myself - I always want to share stuff that makes me happy, so that other people can be happy too. Unfortunately that manifests itself as me bugging the crap out of whomever I'm going for a walk with by pointing out every cool and interesting thing I see. But now I've got a kid, and we'll point out stuff to each other, and when she goes: "THERE'S BUS! Bus, mamma, bus! Look, bus! Wooow, many bus!" I'm equally enthusiastic right back at her. It just makes me happy that she wants me to share in her joy - even though she does it repetedly, ad nauseam, at the exact same thing every time we see it ;)

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
I am having the best day.

When Rory was first born, we got a lot of congratulations and a lot of "CHERISH IT!". It was well meaning but it made me feel like poo poo because I just did. not. like. the newborn stage. Now he's nearly 2 and he's starting to talk, he can communicate what he wants with reasonable success, he's *fun*. We went to Lidl today and he helped me put things in the trolley, and while we were waiting for things to get rung up, I was holding him.. he threw his arms around my neck and smothered me with kisses without me even asking for a kiss. Later, he wanted to play "naps" so he had me lie down on the floor, he put a blanket on me, and gave me a kiss (then he indicated that he wanted me to sleep by doing a fake snore). His words aren't perfectly formed yet but he's getting a new one almost every day and it's so crazy to see him understand context and things now.

I'm sorry this is a gushy post, but I'm really enjoying him now, and it's just such an amazing feeling to really *enjoy* parenting.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madra De Dhia posted:

When Rory was first born, we got a lot of congratulations and a lot of "CHERISH IT!". It was well meaning but it made me feel like poo poo because I just did. not. like. the newborn stage. Now he's nearly 2 and he's starting to talk, he can communicate what he wants with reasonable success, he's *fun*. We went to Lidl today and he helped me put things in the trolley, and while we were waiting for things to get rung up, I was holding him.. he threw his arms around my neck and smothered me with kisses without me even asking for a kiss. Later, he wanted to play "naps" so he had me lie down on the floor, he put a blanket on me, and gave me a kiss (then he indicated that he wanted me to sleep by doing a fake snore). His words aren't perfectly formed yet but he's getting a new one almost every day and it's so crazy to see him understand context and things now.

I'm sorry this is a gushy post, but I'm really enjoying him now, and it's just such an amazing feeling to really *enjoy* parenting.

Its ok. People who like babies are people who are far removed from having them imo. I did not like the crazy hours, the fact that a human being can not know how to fart and wake up screaming because they need you to help them rip one. No thanks. Give me my rude crude to much attitude 3 year old any day. I can deal with him because sooner or later we communicate. Sure sometimes he has to throw a tantrum first but we get past it and communicate.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Madra De Dhia posted:

When Rory was first born, we got a lot of congratulations and a lot of "CHERISH IT!". It was well meaning but it made me feel like poo poo because I just did. not. like. the newborn stage.

This, this, thissity this, and everything else in your post. I make a point of telling every expectant and new mother (and father) I know that yes, everything might be cotton candy and bliss and hearts asploding with love, but it might also be exhausting and scary and tough and boring and just plain not particularly enjoyable - and that's fine too! You're not a bad mother for not adoring every moment spent with your bundle of joy, because the first few months are so hard! But then it just gets better and better. So gush to your hearts content, I'm totally with you on team toddlers ;)

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Team Toddlers all the way. I do sometimes for a tiny second miss how he'd snug in the crook of my neck, but now he can actually say "I WUV OOOO" and demand to give kisses/hugs. Plus, he yells stuff like AW KNICKERS and BOOBIES, which is way fun in public.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I loved the helpless-lump stage (which is good, because my second child is due in April), I loved the lump-frustrated-at-own-helplessness stage, and I'm loving the toddler-I-can-interact-with stage. I don't think it's weird to like newborns, but I also don't think there's anything whatsoever wrong with not liking newborns. I certainly didn't try to cherish every moment of taking care of a burrito full of burps he couldn't burp out on his own: I'm looking forward to having a newborn for a little while, and I am also looking forward to that stage not lasting forever.

Really, I don't think people should be telling new parents how they should feel about having a newborn. If they love it, that's great, be happy for them (because they're lucky not to be hating it); if they hate it, be sympathetic (because the only way out is through). It's hard enough having a million expectations flung at you without also feeling like you have to have the right emotions all the time too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I didn't mind those early weeks where they were always sleepy and we'd just do shiftd. I could sit and watch tv or play a video game with a little guy on my lap all swaddled up.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BonoMan posted:

I'm having a small, irrational dad moment.

This morning it's 30 degrees so I was gonna warm up the car first. I started it in the garage but forgot to open the garage door (no baby in the car or anything) It was only like 2 or 3 minutes while I went and got 7 month old Nora ready and that's when I realized I had left the door closed. Now the garage smelled like fumes but it wasn't cloudy or anything and she wasn't in the car but I quickly put her in the car and opened the door and backed out and we were off to daycare. There's no way that did any damage or anything right?

I haven't had a worry over anything (especially her many falls as she learns to sit up by herself) in a couple of months and thought I was doing great and then I do this and go into ":byodood: oh my god I'm harming my baby! :byodood:" mode.

Ask your pediatrician if you want, but as long as your kid didn't black out or anything it's probably fine. You were just in there for a few seconds, right? Carbon monoxide poisoning would take a few minutes to even get you unconscious, let alone cause permanent damage.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Volmarias posted:

Ask your pediatrician if you want, but as long as your kid didn't black out or anything it's probably fine. You were just in there for a few seconds, right? Carbon monoxide poisoning would take a few minutes to even get you unconscious, let alone cause permanent damage.

Yeah I mean I whisked her into the car and then we were off. It wasn't a lot of exposure ... 20 seconds at most. And she's been fine all day so I'm sure its all good!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Madra De Dhia posted:

Colby is starting to understand now. He just turned 1 and I can't wait for that stage. He's so much more fun now because I can pick him up and play with him without fear of him falling apart in my arms or something. He's interacting with us instead of just reacting now, and it's amazing. I give him squishes and hugs and the squeals and giggles are adorable.

Hell, he's even funny when he cries. He'll slowly lean over and put his head on his feet, then fall over to the side and look at you and whimper. It's so drat adorable.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

zonohedron posted:

I don't think it's weird to like newborns [...]
Really, I don't think people should be telling new parents how they should feel about having a newborn. If they love it, that's great, be happy for them (because they're lucky not to be hating it); if they hate it, be sympathetic (because the only way out is through).

Oh, not at all! It's just that the overwhelming message you get from everyone around you, is that this is a wonderful time that you must cherish and love, because it goes by so quickly! And if that's how you experience it, then that's not a problem. But if you feel primarily overwhelmed and exhausted and worn out, it's nice to be told that that's completely normal too. I felt so frustrated that whenever I complained about something, I'd just be told that "oh, no, you'll look back on this as one of the happiest times of your life. Cherish it!!!" The only people who said "oh man, I remember how hard that was - but it'll get better, I promise!" were people who had had babies themselves recently enough that they remembered the actual realities of it, instead of that rosetinted nostalgia you get when it's a long time since you were a new parent yourself. Those messages of "yeah, this bit is hard, but it gets so much better!" made me feel a million times better than those telling me that "oh, but you'll look back on this time as one of the best in your life!"

Ideally, people shouldn't tell new parents how they should feel about having a newborn, I totally agree. But since so many people are telling new parents that they should be happy and enjoy it, I think it's only right that someone should say that not enjoying it is normal and fine too :) I've had girlfriends crying because they felt like a horrible mother for not being overwhelmed with happiness all the time "because that's how you should feel!", but I've never met or heard of anyone crying and feeling like a horrible mother because "why am I so happy tending to my newborn, I should be miserable right now!"

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

The year and a half after Anna was born were the longest 18 months of my life. "Cherish the time, it goes by so quickly", my rear end.
She's two now, and I imagine stuff will get exponantially cooler and more fun with each passing year. I've always preferred kids when they're 5 and up, when you can actually have a conversation with them and do fun stuff with them (I have older sisters, I became an aunt for the first time when I was 14). Babies used to scare me.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sockmuppet posted:

Ideally, people shouldn't tell new parents how they should feel about having a newborn, I totally agree. But since so many people are telling new parents that they should be happy and enjoy it, I think it's only right that someone should say that not enjoying it is normal and fine too :) I've had girlfriends crying because they felt like a horrible mother for not being overwhelmed with happiness all the time "because that's how you should feel!", but I've never met or heard of anyone crying and feeling like a horrible mother because "why am I so happy tending to my newborn, I should be miserable right now!"

This is how I took what you meant, I didn't think you were running up to parents with newborns and telling them how awful it was :) Funny mental image though.

I think this is a big part of why a lot of women struggle with PPD and don't get treatment, because there's kind of a culture of silence/Mommy Wars stuff around it. They think "what's wrong with me, this is supposed to be the happiest time of my life, everyone says that! Look at those new moms on TV/in movies/etc. I am loving miserable and overwhelmed! I can't tell anyone, they'll think I'm a monster." Whenever I've had friends with newborns show signs that they're struggling I'll commisserate with them over how hard I found the newborn days too, and that it's okay, it'll get easier, and if you need help talk to your doctor.

I knew all of that rationally, but I was also doing this alone (bio father and I split up while I was 3 months pregnant, he has been in and out of our lives since, mostly out) and felt like I had to be Supermom and show no weakness or my son would suffer for having only one parent. I wish more than anything that I'd gotten help for the PPD because I spent most of my son's first 3-4 months or so just shellshocked and trudging through each day trying to get everything done and I feel like I never got to enjoy him as a newborn. I don't even really remember anything from those days and that makes me sad now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A lot of it might have to do with the baby too. When our son was a newborn he had to be held and bounced or walked around for the first month of his life. It also took a lot of trial and error (and money) to find a way to get him to freaking sleep without being held. He absolutely hated any sort of baby holder that wasn't someone holding him and I had to deal with finding out I physically couldn't breastfeed when I was super gung-ho and ready and willing. I think if things had gone better with breastfeeding or I hadn't attempted at all and he would have let us put him down occasionally I would have enjoyed him as a newborn a lot more.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh, not at all! It's just that the overwhelming message you get from everyone around you, is that this is a wonderful time that you must cherish and love, because it goes by so quickly! And if that's how you experience it, then that's not a problem. But if you feel primarily overwhelmed and exhausted and worn out, it's nice to be told that that's completely normal too. I felt so frustrated that whenever I complained about something, I'd just be told that "oh, no, you'll look back on this as one of the happiest times of your life. Cherish it!!!" The only people who said "oh man, I remember how hard that was - but it'll get better, I promise!" were people who had had babies themselves recently enough that they remembered the actual realities of it, instead of that rosetinted nostalgia you get when it's a long time since you were a new parent yourself. Those messages of "yeah, this bit is hard, but it gets so much better!" made me feel a million times better than those telling me that "oh, but you'll look back on this time as one of the best in your life!"

I was reacting to jassi007, not you, sorry :)

Also I think part of my reaction came from having a newborn be scary and yet really awesome for me, so I could smile and nod more-or-less sincerely at everyone telling me how wonderful newborns are, and then having things be more difficult and less fun until he picked up a few signs and could at least let me know that he wanted milk, or was done with something, or was upset but wasn't in need of milk or a new activity. The trough in the enjoyment wave was tough. :v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Madra De Dhia posted:

I've enjoyed almost all of it up to this point (Sydney turns two on Friday - yes, Friday the 13th) but I can't agree with this more. I LOVE the toddler stage and she's just a fun little cool person to hang out with rather than a drooling football to be carted around.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I've been having a tough time lately, and my son coming into the house, seeing me, yelling "MAMA! MAMA! MOMMYYYYYYYYY! HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGG!" and launching himself at my knees for a tacklehug was pretty great. I love this age so much.

He's making sentences now too, very simple ones--(did I post this here? sorry if it's a repeat... I looked back briefly and don't see it) His first one was "Man LOOOOOOOOOOOVES cheeeeeeeeeese!" when my mom asked him about Wallace & Gromit and what it was about. Today he ran up to me with the apple tree from his Playmobil farm and said "Look! Look! Mama, apple tree! Look!" And he very clearly said, "Ick. I don't want that" when I tried to get him to eat some chicken at dinnertime. Food battles, sigh. (He's gaining fine, and I have no idea because he eats like a vegetarian bird.)

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

sheri posted:

If you google you will find a lot of research that indicates that signing assists in speech development and does not delay it.

I think sign language is a great tool for helping kids to speak. We used sign language with our son when he was about ~10 months old. We didn't do many words, just enough to get some urgent points across that made our lives quite better ("milk", "water", "more", "hungry", "thirsty", you get the idea) as well as some songs mixed with sign language.

Incidentally, we also found it great as an aide to teach our son to speak different languages. My wife and I have different mother tongues and we each use our own to speak to our son. The way we were told to do this was to each stick to one language and never mix it. Sign language was a good middle ground when he started to babble. He knew the meaning of the sign and that even though mom and dad used different spoken words for it, they both meant the same thing. We were told that if we were to teach him both our languages, we should expect him to take longer to speak. Surprisingly, it didn't take him longer than most kids we know around here. Although I have no scientific proof of it, I like to think that using sign language at the beginning helped him handle it as well as he has; he can now hold 3-year-old-level conversations in French, Spanish and English without mixing them up*.

Where we do see some differences though is in vocabulary, it is larger in English as he speaks it at daycare, pre-school, and general out-of-home life; while French and Spanish are mostly only spoken at home and with one parent each.

*He will mix-up words that sound alike. For example, he will mix "entendre" which means "to hear" in French with "entender" which is "to understand" in Spanish, thus he will ask me in Spanish if I understood that noise/siren/animal/etc. Another one is "sentir" which can be used as "to smell" in French, but it just means "to feel" in Spanish; he will hold a flower to my nose and tell me to feel it (which makes me giggle as it ends up sounding like he's high or being really spiritual).

rgocs fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 10, 2015

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rgocs posted:

he can now hold 3-year-old-level conversations in French, Spanish and English without mixing them up.

You're giving your kid an amazing gift that's going to benefit him hugely for the rest of his life. He's super lucky!

(My husband's family is Hungarian, and we're Norwegian. We're giving our kid the amazing gift of two pretty useless languages ;) )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

You're giving your kid an amazing gift that's going to benefit him hugely for the rest of his life. He's super lucky!

Yeah, I wish I had that too as a child. When I was 9 I had the chance of visiting Switzerland and I remember being so jealous of another 9 year-old I met there from a Spanish family who could speak German and Spanish fluently!

Sockmuppet posted:

(My husband's family is Hungarian, and we're Norwegian. We're giving our kid the amazing gift of two pretty useless languages ;) )

Being able to speak to your family in their own language is always good! Plus, learning multiple languages at an early age has more benefits than just the languages themselves: http://www.brainfacts.org/sensing-thinking-behaving/language/articles/2008/the-bilingual-brain/

It also has long lasting effects even at later stages of life : http://news.discovery.com/human/bilingualism-protects-brain-into-old-age-130108.htm