Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Even if they were to raise the sales tax enough to fund education (where most of the hated property tax is going) there would be nothing to stop them from raiding that funding source in the future right? We would just end up either with complete disasters of schools or property tax rates will just go right back up.

Actually something like 80% of state revenue is what's called general revenue-dedicated, which means it is required by statute or by the constitution to be spent on certain things. LIke the PSF is a GRD fund, so if they dedicated increased sales tax revenues to the PSF then it would have to go toward schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

quote:

Republican state Rep. David Simpson of Longview

I take back anything bad I've ever said about Longview.

Tyler, on the other hand, gave us Gohmert.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
http://www.sacurrent.com/Blogs/archives/2015/03/05/uber-is-out-company-to-leave-san-antonio-despite-revised-regulations

So many people freaking out about this:

SA Current posted:

Uber announced Thursday its intent to exit the San Antonio market, following through with threats the company has made since the end of last year.

The company claims that the city's transportation ordinance, which was amended last December, imposed excessive regulations and created an unfeasible environment for the ride-share company to continue its Alamo City operations.

Uber Texas General Manager Chris Nakutis announced the company's decision to members of the press in Main Plaza following Thursday's city council meeting. Council members had just approved a motion to remove a requirement passed in December that required ride-share drivers to hold an excessive insurance policy of no less than $200,000. Other provisions passed in December, including regulations regarding background checks and driver fees, remained relatively unchanged after today's meeting.

The council voted today to appease both Uber and Lyft, who have been facing opposition from both taxi companies and the San Antonio Police Department since they arrived in San Antonio last spring. The city's nearly year-long efforts to create a regulatory environment that would accommodate the operations of ride-share companies were not enough to appease the Silicon Valley tech companies.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:qq:

I guess San Antonio doesn't want to get disrupted :pcgaming:

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Appeasement fails again :c00lbert:

Winter Stormer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 6, 2015

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Good. If you don't like our rules then you can :frogout:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Badger of Basra posted:

:qq:

Yeah their main complaint is that SA wants to actually enforce a real background check, not the lowest-bidder rubber stamp that uber and lyft currently do.

San Antonio mayor's statement is a nice "go gently caress yourself" too.

quote:

Several days ago, the TNCs reversed course and have since stated they cannot continue to operate in San Antonio with the ten-point fingerprint background check requirements. Both Uber and Lyft believe that their corporate interests are incompatible with these basic public safety requests. However, our job as a Council is not to ensure the profitably of their business model, our job is to ensure the public’s safety.

Our ordinance is reasonable and the TNCs are operating in some markets with similar rules. Teachers, architects and city employees are required to use the ten-point fingerprint check. I fully respect the views of citizens and my Council colleagues who differ with me but I am confident we have made the right decision with today’s vote.”

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah their main complaint is that SA wants to actually enforce a real background check, not the lowest-bidder rubber stamp that uber and lyft currently do.

San Antonio mayor's statement is a nice "go gently caress yourself" too.

Especially since she was willing to loosen the drat law but they needed total submission so gently caress that.

It's funny how much poo poo business people lose out on because they can't handle a little regulation like do back ground checks or don't dump waste in our drinking water, they probably spend more money in court fighting the thing than any regulation would cost (And come on this is America they could totally get the govt to reimburse them for it too)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

Last December, Uber agreed to temporarily suspended operations in Portland, Oregon, until April 9, 2015, while the city crafts rules to allow ride-sharing. Last November, the company exited Nevada over the state's strict taxi regulations, and in January of this year, Uber vacated Auburn, Alabama, citing "burdensome regulations that disregard our innovative business model."
"burdensome regulations that disregard our innovative business model"
God you couldn't come up with a more :jerkbag: phrase if you tried.

karlor posted:

Good. If you don't like our rules then you can :frogout:
:agreed:
Heaven forbid San Antonio does our own background checks instead of just taking Uber's word that "hey these dudes are totally all good, honest". It's not like you're completely placing your personal health and safety in another person's hands when you get into a cab or anything.

It does suck that they're leaving, but San Antonio can get by with VIA and our existing Taxi service.

Badger of Basra posted:

Hilarious quote the comment section:

quote:

The Council of San Antonio has prudently protected the public safety. Society does not need disruption, it needs security and stability to move forward. If you want disruption, go to Syria or Nigeria.
:laugh: I shouldn't laugh, but that is a pretty good poke at Uber's slogan.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Not to mention Uber threatens municipalities who try to hold their employees accountable like they're loving Lexcorp or something.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I remember when last year Chris Riley decided that legalizing Uber was literally the most important thing ever because he was relying on the student vote (lol) to win his city council election.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hahahahaha.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Link is dead?

Here's the DPS pdf though: http://s3.amazonaws.com/static.texastribune.org/media/documents/Glitter_Bombs.pdf

quote:

Although glitter bombing as an offense has yet to be codified, some legal officials argue glitter bombing is technically an assault and battery.
Recipients in 2012 included Rick Santorum (on four separate occasions),Mitt Romney and Ron Paul. Mitt Romney’s bomber, a University of Colorado student, faced up to six months in jail and a fine of $1000. Glitter bombing was featured in the Season 3 premiere of Glee on September 20, 2011.
Glitter bombing, which releases a “blizzard of glitter” (according to the media coverage of Rick Santorum’s bombing in February 2012), may pose a health hazard to the recipient in the form of glitter particles entering the eyes, nose, lungs or other soft tissue, which may result in irritation or infection.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, here's another trib link see if this one stays up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Better throw in PRO CHOICE in there Highly Politicized DPS.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

DPS declined to comment on whether or not they made the document with their logo on it that they circulated to capital staffers.

Think about that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So just to be clear our DPS thinks glitter bombs are literal bombs?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So just to be clear our DPS thinks glitter bombs are literal bombs?

No just assault and battery, that's all. Someone might inhale some!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ok, still super dumb but I was worried they thought it was like the most fabulous Hurt Locker parody whenever someone got one.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

No just assault and battery, that's all. Someone might inhale some!

To be fair, no one should be sending spring loaded devices through the mail. It's still meant to physically intimidate and would be very alarming to receive.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Plus it just means some poor underpaid janitorial staffer has to clean it up.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Sounds like San Antonio is the best town. I'm in Austin now, is it worth moving there to escape the inflow of rich coastal folk or is it too late?

I've always refused to say "ya'll" as a sort of "gently caress you dad!" but now people think I'm not from around here so I might have to. It sounds so fake coming out of my mouth.

In better news, the SXSW party to take place at the Jumpolín site was cancelled, as the party company caught wind of the controversy and decided they didn't wanna touch that poo poo with a 10 foot pole.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Xibanya posted:

Sounds like San Antonio is the best town. I'm in Austin now, is it worth moving there to escape the inflow of rich coastal folk or is it too late?
San Antonio is indeed the best town. No I'm totally not biased as a San Antonio resident, why do you ask?:v:

You can definitely get far away from "rich coastal folk" in San Antonio as long as you don't move to Alamo Heights or any of the new housing places on the (far) north side.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
San Antonio is definitely the least pretentious (overall) of the major cities. Dallas still has that #1 spot.

Yes, even more than Austin.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

San Antonio is definitely the least pretentious (overall) of the major cities. Dallas still has that #1 spot.

Yes, even more than Austin.

Wait, are you saying Dallas is the best or Dallas is the most pretentious?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait, are you saying Dallas is the best or Dallas is the most pretentious?

Most pretentious.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
As somebody who grew up in Dallas (a long long time ago) and who now lives in Austin I can give Dallas a whole lot of credit for the light rail system. Sure, it's not much, but it beats the gently caress out of Austin and Houston.

I was living in California when the Dallas mass transit stuff was being talked about in the early 90s and I completely assumed it'd never happen, because Dallas.

[edit] to be clear I (was) moved to Dallas actually Irving in 1969 as an 8-year-old and I left in 1988. Dallas is of course totally Dallas and I don't miss that aspect of it, but I'll be damned if they didn't achieve something impressive. How's the new "arts corridor" thing for the south-of-the-river zone going?

emfive fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 8, 2015

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Austin is by far the most pretentious city in Texas, I'm not sure how anybody could live talk to people from both cities and not come to that conclusion.

Y'all is the best word. I don't even know what else you would say. "You all"? "You guys?" "All'o'ya"? :wtc: I also told myself I'd never say y'all when I moved to Texas and I was using it regularly within 3 months. I can't imagine a life without it. I wouldn't trust anyone living in Texas who doesn't say y'all, actually.

The arts sector south of the river is as pretentious as you'd hope for probably. It's tiny, I've never been there. I hear about it all the time in the Dallas Observer though so I can sense how high its' opinion of itself is.

Just chill out here in East Dallas. East of the lake, preferably.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Randandal posted:

Austin is by far the most pretentious city in Texas, I'm not sure how anybody could live talk to people from both cities and not come to that conclusion.

Y'all is the best word. I don't even know what else you would say. "You all"? "You guys?" "All'o'ya"? :wtc: I also told myself I'd never say y'all when I moved to Texas and I was using it regularly within 3 months. I can't imagine a life without it. I wouldn't trust anyone living in Texas who doesn't say y'all, actually.

The arts sector south of the river is as pretentious as you'd hope for probably. It's tiny, I've never been there. I hear about it all the time in the Dallas Observer though so I can sense how high its' opinion of itself is.

Just chill out here in East Dallas. East of the lake, preferably.

I think it's really cool that Kalachandji's still exists. Also seriously crazy Bill and his record shop over there in a part of near-East Dallas that I don't remember ever going to when I lived there. Bill's shop used to be up off Spring Valley when I lived there, and it was weird then too. (That close-to-Richardson part of town looks exactly like I remember it; modern Dallas is strange that way.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Randandal posted:

Austin has smug liberals but Dallas takes pretentiousness to an art form. Have lived in both cities. But I'm mainly referring to Dallas League of Republican Voters Capital-D Dallas silver Mercedes megachurch pretentiousness.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 8, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

emfive posted:

As somebody who grew up in Dallas (a long long time ago) and who now lives in Austin I can give Dallas a whole lot of credit for the light rail system. Sure, it's not much, but it beats the gently caress out of Austin and Houston.

If you compare the relative sizes of Dallas and Austin over time, its obvious that Dallas should have a far better transit system. In 1983, when DART was created Dallas had a population of ~900,000 and Austin was ~345,000. So just wait a couple of decades and I'm sure Capmetro will be a lot better.

Houston doesn't have an excuse except the whole no zoning thing.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

If you compare the relative sizes of Dallas and Austin over time, its obvious that Dallas should have a far better transit system. In 1983, when DART was created Dallas had a population of ~900,000 and Austin was ~345,000. So just wait a couple of decades and I'm sure Capmetro will be a lot better.

Houston doesn't have an excuse except the whole no zoning thing.

Sorry but the Austin transit "system" is terrible. Part of the problem is that Austin allowed tremendous amounts of development in the western fringe, which is largely intractable in terms of mass transit (other than buses, and even that's a problem due to the ridiculously limited road corridors). Dallas is built in a mostly flat featureless plain, so they have a lot more flexibility. For Austin to get a transit system anything like that in Dallas will require a bunch of political miracles. Heck, Austin is pretty big now, and there's no sign of any popular sentiment to expand the seriously pitiful rail transit at all. The rail thing flopped at the polls last fall, and it'll take a couple years at least for that effort to regroup. And that plan would still have been pretty lame.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I know I've brought it up and its been somewhat explained before in this thread but I'm still not sure why Austin doesn't expand eastward onto the featureless flat plain that's right there next to East Austin.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

emfive posted:

Sorry but the Austin transit "system" is terrible. Part of the problem is that Austin allowed tremendous amounts of development in the western fringe, which is largely intractable in terms of mass transit (other than buses, and even that's a problem due to the ridiculously limited road corridors). Dallas is built in a mostly flat featureless plain, so they have a lot more flexibility. For Austin to get a transit system anything like that in Dallas will require a bunch of political miracles. Heck, Austin is pretty big now, and there's no sign of any popular sentiment to expand the seriously pitiful rail transit at all. The rail thing flopped at the polls last fall, and it'll take a couple years at least for that effort to regroup. And that plan would still have been pretty lame.

That's why I'm saying it will take a couple of decades, but once the MOPAC line is converted to commuter rail, urban rail finally passes, etc etc. It will be actually workable. I think people give Austin public transit a bad wrap don't understand how rapidly Austin has grown (and thus hasn't had the money to invest for decades) and also how much the neighboring cities love to gently caress over Austin (see the light rail votes). Remember the rail line you're complaining isn't being expanded is basically brand new in terms of public transit infrastructure.

To complain that mass transit in DFW is better than in Austin is a little bizarre when you look at their comparative sizes. Houston on the other hand has no excuse.

Randandal posted:

I know I've brought it up and its been somewhat explained before in this thread but I'm still not sure why Austin doesn't expand eastward onto the featureless flat plain that's right there next to East Austin.

Good news! The Austin growth corridor is actually North East. Austin hasn't really been growing westward since Save Our Springs.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I'm guessing that southeast of Austin is mostly an undevelopable floodplain.

Both Dallas and Austin shut down their public transit systems before the bars shut down, so they're equally useless in the grand scheme of things.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Randandal posted:

The east side is still viewed by many as "the bad side", and that stigma seems to drag down any attempts to do anything nice (residential or business) over here. The Manor area has grown quite a bit, in terms of tract housing, but the schools are marginal and there are few options for food or entertainment.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Good news! The Austin growth corridor is actually North East. Austin hasn't really been growing westward since Save Our Springs.

Have you been out around the Y, Southwest Parkway, Bee Caves, Lakeway, Anderson Mill, or Lakeway any time recently?

[edit] slightly bad image, also a little old:

emfive fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 8, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

emfive posted:

Have you been out around the Y, Southwest Parkway, Bee Caves, Lakeway, Anderson Mill, or Lakeway any time recently?

The SoS folks really don't give a poo poo if it is large-plot SFHs and doesn't interrupt their scenic views.

The original pre-editing report on Austin's Planning department finally got released. It isn't good.

:stare:

I guess decades of using zoning and permitting to stymie development have really left their mark.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

emfive posted:

Yeah but most of the places you list are either far outside the control of Austin planners (Lakeway or Bee Cave) or are places that were actually developed decades ago and are either being redeveloped or finally filling in (Southwest Parkway or Anderson Mill).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I live about a mile from Anderson Mill and I can confirm it's been developed since the 80's. Pretty much zero growth on the curve between 183 and 620.