Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Pierson posted:

You should always kill and never capture because that fucker deserves death, as painful as you can make it.

Do you think you capture them and send them off to a wonderful zoo? Vivisection is way more brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Going to a no Internet wasteland for some months. How do I get more cats without streetpassing.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Rajangs howl freaks me out

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bombadilillo posted:

Going to a no Internet wasteland for some months. How do I get more cats without streetpassing.

Go to the Felyne villages during every mission. There will be a cat there you can talk to and hire after the mission.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Bombadilillo posted:

Play the offline Caravan quests until shortly after unlocking the island. Then you stumble upon them during quests/exhibitions by going to the felyne village/poogie hangout.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bombadilillo posted:

Every map has one, go to the Palico hideout (usually area 10 and usually the smallest zone on the map)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

goferchan posted:

Every map has one, go to the Palico hideout (usually area 10 and usually the smallest zone on the map)

Cool, even the first map? I found the hideout but didn't see any talking prompts.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Is there a trick to getting Shagaru Magala plates? I need one to upgrade my charge blade, but I can't get one to drop for the life of me. 20+ kills, no luck. I don't think S Magala can be captured, right? Each fight, I try to chop the tail off for the extra carve, break the horns for the shiny drop, etc, but just no luck.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Chaitai posted:

Is there a trick to getting Shagaru Magala plates? I need one to upgrade my charge blade, but I can't get one to drop for the life of me. 20+ kills, no luck. I don't think S Magala can be captured, right? Each fight, I try to chop the tail off for the extra carve, break the horns for the shiny drop, etc, but just no luck.
Bring a full squad of Stealer palicoes as well.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I hadn't thought to do that -- I'll try that tonight when I get home from work. Thanks

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When are they gonna release the super mushroom dlc, I restarted my character before I realized you can only download the starter pack once :smith:

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Chaitai posted:

Sheer luck. Keep with the breaks. I was farming yesterday for plates, and on my last hunt for the night, I carved a plate off the tail then picked up two more in quest/break rewards.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

So the guild hall lady from portable 3rd just hangs out in my house now.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Master Sword needs 8 Ukanlos tails. loving capcom.

I mean, I can solo the bastard in sub 20min if needed but I guess I'll end up pubbing it if goons don't grind a boring monster with me.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Haquer posted:

Master Sword needs 8 Ukanlos tails. loving capcom.

I mean, I can solo the bastard in sub 20min if needed but I guess I'll end up pubbing it if goons don't grind a boring monster with me.

Is it even a good weapon, or does it at least upgrade into one?

oh lord

Colapops fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 6, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I got five Ukanlos tails from my first kill. :toot:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Tender Bender posted:

When are they gonna release the super mushroom dlc, I restarted my character before I realized you can only download the starter pack once :smith:

They're doing DLC the first friday of every month. Mario stuff being next would make sense but it hasn't been announced yet, so nobody knows for sure.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think I carved a tail from the body every time I fought him and at least one from the tail cut.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Colapops posted:

Is it even a good weapon, or does it at least upgrade into one?

oh lord

The raw isn't great but if you've got awaken and you're using it against something deathly weak to fire it's not bad at all. Good affinity and 3 slots. It's worth it if you're serious about elemental SnSes.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/sword/master-sword-g

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bombadilillo posted:

Cool, even the first map? I found the hideout but didn't see any talking prompts.

Have you been working through the single player caravan quests? It's quite early into the game when you get the ability to recruit new guys (I think a little while after you get to the beach town?) but it's possible you aren't quite there yet. Once you do, every Palico hideout (even on the first map, yes) will have a guy you can talk to and recruit. Also, once you reach high rank, new palicoes with new skills will start showing up -- there are two new Fortes and a bunch of new team attacks available. Once you unlock these they'll start showing up in both high-rank and low-rank missions

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

goferchan posted:

Have you been working through the single player caravan quests? It's quite early into the game when you get the ability to recruit new guys (I think a little while after you get to the beach town?) but it's possible you aren't quite there yet. Once you do, every Palico hideout (even on the first map, yes) will have a guy you can talk to and recruit. Also, once you reach high rank, new palicoes with new skills will start showing up -- there are two new Fortes and a bunch of new team attacks available. Once you unlock these they'll start showing up in both high-rank and low-rank missions
Yeah I was kicking myself for recruiting so many in LR. It is also really painful dismissing them because of that scene.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man the new DLC rules, are all the monthlies gonna be like this, a cool assortment of quests and one of the hyped up collaboration things like the Samus armor/gun?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

goferchan posted:

Ok. I haven't gotten to a beach yet. Just got the caravan to move to the second big map, a fiery mountain, then I out it down for the night.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Master Sword is a really great SnS for the large set of monsters in the game that are weak to fire.

Conversely, the Sacred Bow is quite possibly one of the best bows in the game for things weak to thunder. It can have every coating, has the highest raw/elem combo for thunder element, your arc is power shot so that's a large DPS increase, the scaling on the shot levels allows you a good amount of situational application if you need to just hipfire lv1 shots instead of charging, and its one of the few bows where all of the shot types are the same so you can go for Normal Up for a easy stackable damage increase. I've already whipped up a complete set for it and holy christ is it amazing :allears:

Of course, the catch here is that both of them require Awakening, which means building an entirely unique set specifically for each weapon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

Ok. I haven't gotten to a beach yet. Just got the caravan to move to the second big map, a fiery mountain, then I out it down for the night.

Yea beach is after that section, then you meet the cat island owner and kill a farting monkey monster, then you're cool enough to start getting catbros.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea beach is after that section, then you meet the cat island owner and kill a farting monkey monster, then you're cool enough to start getting catbros.

Sweet. I was worried I missed it in the myriad of quest to yes and menus this game uses.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What does link's armor give you for skills I wanna look like link

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What does link's armor give you for skills I wanna look like link

Emalde posted:

Hero's Clothing (Zelda stuff) is HR armor only, each piece has multiple points of free element/fate and then typically the misc +3s are on one of the individual pieces. I don't expect to see these get much use.

Blademaster:
Awakening +10
Fate +10
Stamina +4
Protection +3
Gathering +3
Constitution +3
Carving +2

Gunner:
Awakening +10
Fate +10
Stamina +4
Protection +4 (yes, one extra point!!)
Gathering +3
Carving +2

Note that the hat has -4 to hearing on both sets, so that's something to watch out for.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ah i missed that post, thanks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Got my first death fighting the monster clogging up the lava in the second village. :argh: Also I can never remember what anything is called in these games since their name doesn't pop up when you're fighting them.

Gone back to the first village to clean up some quests and finish my Jaggi armor set, just need one more King's Frill :toot:.

I'm still very new, but I'd like to get some co-op going, maybe this Sunday afternoon. Do people just search by Nintendo Network ID now? My name on there is Soul_Glo_2

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Soul Glo posted:

Got my first death fighting the monster clogging up the lava in the second village. :argh: Also I can never remember what anything is called in these games since their name doesn't pop up when you're fighting them.

Gone back to the first village to clean up some quests and finish my Jaggi armor set, just need one more King's Frill :toot:.

I'm still very new, but I'd like to get some co-op going, maybe this Sunday afternoon. Do people just search by Nintendo Network ID now? My name on there is Soul_Glo_2
Getting into MP is ludicrously easily. You can search for rooms by what monster you want to kill and can generally always find a dozen or people who want to kill whatever. Or you can jump onto IRC, where we hunt online pretty much constantly, all day and night, without stopping.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
I haven't had a chance to download the dlc yet, but can I make both of links weapons or is it like the super mushrooms where i can only make one?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soul Glo posted:

But the name is always on the quest you have to accept to go hunt them? :shrug:

Just open the wiki to the monsters section until you learn the names.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ojetor posted:

Do you think you capture them and send them off to a wonderful zoo? Vivisection is way more brutal.

l always assumed capture leads to forceful interrogation where they lead you back to their nest full of young.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Quincytbb posted:

I haven't had a chance to download the dlc yet, but can I make both of links weapons or is it like the super mushrooms where i can only make one?

You can repeat the quests to get more materials for them

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Quincytbb posted:

You get the mats to make them as a quest reward. When they release the Mario/Luigi DLC, you'll be able to do the same with those too

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Quincytbb posted:

Unlike the Mario stuff, you don't get the items in the mail or anything. You get the stuff from quest rewards + carves.

Soul Glo posted:

When you're out on the map hitting stuff, there's no way of knowing what it is you're hitting if you're basically new to the series like me, though.

Like I have no idea what the very first monsters in the first map are called. I just know I kill them for raw meat. I doubt they're referred to as Walking Raw Meatasaurus.

Big monsters will be named via the quest or the items that they drop, but small monsters like the meatasauruses are rarely named. You'll find entries for them in the monster list and might see NPCs talk about them, but for the most part you gotta look into stuff on your own.

The meatasauruses are aptonoths.
The small deer-like animals are kelbi.
The roly-poly bugs are konchu.
The flying wasp-flies are bnahabra.
The ankylosaurus-like animals you'll see way later are apceros.
The grey-brown ceratopsian-lookalikes that charge you are assholes (rhenoplos)

You're right that names of things aren't often presented well--if at all--in the game, but here are some handy-dandy notes for you to learn from.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Herbivore <-all of these herbivores show up in MH4U except epioth (it swims) and anteka (I may simply have avoided them)

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Neopteron <-all of these show up in the game from 3rd Gen onwards. Obviously some of them are large monsters, but you'll notice the bnahabra, konchu, and altaroth!

Other than those two groups, most of the small monsters have obvious relations to large ones. Cephalos are smaller/younger cephadromes, for example. Remobras are the one exception in that they are snake wyverns technically but beyond being snake-like they do not really resemble (or have any close relation to) the only other snake wyvern to date, najarala.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 6, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zaphod42 posted:

But the name is always on the quest you have to accept to go hunt them? :shrug:

Just open the wiki to the monsters section until you learn the names.

When you're out on the map hitting stuff, there's no way of knowing what it is you're hitting if you're basically new to the series like me, though.

Like I have no idea what the very first monsters in the first map are called. I just know I kill them for raw meat. I doubt they're referred to as Walking Raw Meatasaurus.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I just wing that poo poo too. I can't be bothered to keep a wiki open for names/lookups. As an avid SnS user I name my sets after monsters so I remember what is good against what so that I minimize time in between multiplayer hunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm ready to make that new switch axe from the dlc, work needs to be over

• Locked thread