Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

howe_sam posted:

:unsmith: that was the first time Shelley's seen Erin since she got back right?

No, which is confusing me quite a bit. I assume exposition(tm) will explain what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Recently, I've wondered at times if John Allison would ever run out of steam with the same universe... and here we are. At least we're ending on a fairly high note rather than having the strip peter out all of a sudden, or have the ending be the result of creator breakdown.

Still... drat, I pretty much grew up with SGR. This'll be the hardest transition yet.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm mostly sad about the Bad Machinery gang, to be honest. Now their comic is double-canceled. :smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Saoshyant posted:

No, which is confusing me quite a bit. I assume exposition(tm) will explain what's going on.

Dang, should've remembered that.

Obviously whatever caused everyone to forget that Erin ever existed when she got first sucked into hell got undone.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's the hair, really gets peoples attention

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My theory: Everyone forgot human Erin, which is why Shelley didn't recognise the photo of her immediately after she disappeared, but she did remember that she had a sister who's queen of the underworld.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Before this is done I hope Shelley ends up with Tim and stops writing sad books

:unsmith:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Rincewind posted:

I'm mostly sad about the Bad Machinery gang, to be honest. Now their comic is double-canceled. :smith:

Double-canceled and the gang themselves are probably going to be erased from existence along with Tackleford itself. Rather cements the whole "No more Bobbins/SGR/BM" feeling.

Good job Tim, you've really done it this time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Tim is the epitome of the phrase, "Hell is other people."

You have to stop showing the public around your projects, Tim. It never ends well.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Haha gently caress you Rich. You've destroyed the very world you hoped to save!!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Well, I never would have thought to put my money of cubism'd to death, but here we are.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Rich Tweedy died a blithering idiot stumbling in the wrong direction having misread the situation. How appropriate.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wyld Karde posted:

Rich Tweedy died a blithering idiot stumbling in the wrong direction having misread the situation. How appropriate.

As Erin/Mordawwa said, he died as he lived.

I realise that the Bobbinsverse is ending, but did it have to be like this? :ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe this is some sort of infinite crisis of flashvergance and the result is going to be an all-new continuity free Bobbinsverse? Maybe?

Or we're just going to get all Robert Cop, all the time. Come to think of it, that wouldn't be so bad.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Rich Tweedy has ceased to exist; all is right with the universe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Shelley really knows how to get what she wants with a minimum of fuss.

For a definition of "minimal fuss" that involves many deaths and the near-destruction of the universe.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Shelley is the LAW and she is the LASH.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Let's all have an erotic bath.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Oh hey, looks like the universe didn't end after all :gbsmith:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scrap Dragon posted:

Oh hey, looks like the universe didn't end after all :gbsmith:

I am quite sure Allison released that statement about wrapping up the Tackleverse in the middle of this storyline in order to keep us tense with the very real possibility of all characters being eaten by a dimensional vortex.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, here's some Giant Days stuff!

I like the new art.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It is weird seeing Esther as drawn by not!Allison.

e: Scratch that, it's surreal

The more I read the more my brain rebels.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 15, 2015

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

ZearothK posted:

I am quite sure Allison released that statement about wrapping up the Tackleverse in the middle of this storyline in order to keep us tense with the very real possibility of all characters being eaten by a dimensional vortex.

I think what Allison is doing is more along the lines of retiring the characters that have been around since Bobbins instead of completely abandoning the Tackleverse. I get the feeling he's got a whole more stories left when it comes to The Boy's generation and Lottie's generation; after all, we are getting more GIant Days comics.

Autonomous Monster posted:

It is weird seeing Esther as drawn by not!Allison.

e: Scratch that, it's surreal

The more I read the more my brain rebels.

The writing feels different, too; can't tell if that's a side effect of somebody else drawing the characters or if Allison is deliberately shifting the tone for what's more of a "mainstream" publication.

Thought about the ages of the Bobbins cast since Shelley said Holly was "FORTY, HAUGHTY and THRIVING"; seems Shelley, Tim et al. are around 33-37 based on Expecting to Fly taking place in 1996. RIP Jesper Bloem

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So are the Bad Machinery kids sticking around then? What does all this mean to somebody who's only read from the start of Bad Machinery?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Pope Guilty posted:

So are the Bad Machinery kids sticking around then? What does all this mean to somebody who's only read from the start of Bad Machinery?

If it's just the Old Bobbins alumni who are retiring, we'll probably see another story about Lottie and the gang sooner or later; Ryan and Amy probably won't be making many appearances. I just get the feeling Allison can't shake the Tackleverse for good, even if he starts up something radically different in April; he's been known to give in to temptation and do things like bring Shelley and even Desmond Fishman back, even after Des was said to have "retired from webcomics for good" after SGR ended.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Aw man, now Boycey has the beard of sorrow :smith:

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
At least it's not the bloatee.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Shelley Winters' relationship status set to 'energetically enthusiastic'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

As is her everything status all the time.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
A PC for Skyping with the dead? That's a very SGR-era Tim project. I always suspected Eustace would one day be his successor in the field of Tinkering With Mad Science.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Giant Days #1 was pretty fun. Dark Esther continues to radiate drama and mope about The Boy (weird to have a character call Eustace that) and Susan Ptolomy gained a nemesis,

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm willing to bet that Susan is the nemesis.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I want to make a joke about Susan but I haven't read this yet so maybe that already is the joke.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh nooooooooooo :ohdear:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Wow, uh

ummm

guess everybody's probably dying after all :pwn:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Good call, Tim

and Boycey meets Erin

a good ending

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Too bad death has already come and gone for Eustace. Guess he's just gotta hang around now, all undead-like.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
That's not Time Teapot style whimsically mad science at all! :stonk:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Man. Boycey nearly killed, redeemed, then killed again, all in an astoundingly short amount of time.

Based on John's blog post, I thought that the tackleford universe was coming to an end with that portal explosion. Then, with the epilogue with the kids in school, I thought "maybe with the portal gone, Tackleford's status as a supernatural hotspot will also fade, bringing these stories to a close".

But now, we've transitioned out of that story into a new one, with new supernatural elements popping up. We're basically back to classic Scary Go Round-style storytelling, except it's called Bobbins, and the Bad Machinery kids have been added to the cast rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, poor Mildew.

:sympathy:

• Locked thread