Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Crain posted:

Suddenly realized I'm out of shaving soap. Just a tiny sliver of a puck left.

So I got some Proraso Green (which I've wanted to try since forever), and a tub of Arko shave soap.

Added bonus:

Lookatit! It's got a face in the soap :haw:

I almost don't want to use it. The art deco style is really tickling my fancy here.

That's art deco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Daimo posted:

The face of a man who doesn't shave. That's some dumb marketing.

The post of a man who doesn't have neck hair.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

What's with all the retro shave stuff recently?

Is this some kind of hipster poo poo?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spudsbuckley posted:

that's exactly what it is

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

spudsbuckley posted:

This is the same thread where vinyl records and skinny jeans get posted.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

spudsbuckley posted:

I have a lot of retro toiletries too. It's for people who like to look back to a time when men were real men and were sophisticated. I poo poo in a box in my backyard and wipe with old corn cobs.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

kannonfodder posted:

This is the same thread where vinyl records and skinny jeans get posted.

:laffo:

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Daimo posted:

The face of a man who doesn't shave. That's some dumb marketing.

It is a face full of lather, not beard. It's a man who is currently shaving.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

check out my new bike

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

spudsbuckley posted:

oh man I hope not!!

bowmore posted:

that's exactly what it is

gently caress! I just wanted to save money, I hate buying those loving Gillette cartridges and poo poo :(

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

It's considerably cheaper after you own a razor and brush. A year's worth of blades is just a few dollars. I also get a lot off irritation and have much smoother skin. A lot of the problem is that most canned shaving creams have a propellant in them that will dry out your skin.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Ties, because I have a problem. Can't wait to get my hands on the black on black paisley in particular.

Referral link's good for $10 off, if anyone's interested.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SaltLick posted:

check out my new bike

Two days ago I saw what looked like a preppie riding a goddamn penny farthing down Santa Monica Blvd during rush hour. He looked... stressed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Two days ago I saw what looked like a preppie riding a goddamn penny farthing down Santa Monica Blvd during rush hour. He looked... stressed.

lol what a terrible idea that would be

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Don't have hobbies other than videogames, goons will mock you.

Anyhow, afterselling off all of my synth equipment 5 years ago to focus on songwriting and technical music skills (too much stuff led to too little creativity), the bug hit me hard and I bought a bunch of electronic poo poo again.

iPad Apps (Korg Gadget, Module, iElectribe, Animoog)

Keith McMillan QuNexus

Teenage Engineering OP-1

Arturia MiniBrute

The QuNexus is probably going back, but the rest have been awesome.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

king of the bongo posted:

It is a face full of lather, not beard. It's a man who is currently shaving.

Couldn't see the cap on my phone :v:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Before I even clicked this I knew what it was going to be, and I was not disappointed.

Also:

Call of Cholula posted:

iPad Apps (Korg Gadget, Module, iElectribe, Animoog)

Keith McMillan QuNexus

Teenage Engineering OP-1

Arturia MiniBrute

:drat:

The Minibrute rules by the way.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Mar 6, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wet shaving is not some hipster trend, the only people I know that do it are old men. It's simply a better and much cheaper method of shaving. Hipsters are all about bad facial hair.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Wet shaving is not some hipster trend, the only people I know that do it are old men. It's simply a better and much cheaper method of shaving. Hipsters are all about bad facial hair.

I've been doing it for 7 years and I'm under 30. I just like the shave a lot better mostly. I even have travel cases for my razor and brush since I'm on the road two nights a week. I could get away with using a cartridge razor, but I'll never go back to canned shaving cream.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

i dont even know what is hipster anymore since beards have crossed into the mainstream. women have started using beards as a way to single out men when that wasnt really a thing in the last 10 years. maybe its time for the mustache to rule the day next

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Toast Museum posted:

Ties, because I have a problem. Can't wait to get my hands on the black on black paisley in particular.

Referral link's good for $10 off, if anyone's interested.

:D
Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeah!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Wet shaving is not some hipster trend, the only people I know that do it are old men.

Not selling me on the 'not a hipster' thing with this sentence. "This hat/shirt/accessory is so bad, it makes me look old/republican/douche-y. I'll take it." is very much a hipster kind of thing, and it's fair to assume that kind of attitude would carry over to personal hygiene.

I guess if it gets them to shave it can't be all bad though.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

But electric razors have reached a point where if you spend about a hundred bucks, you get practically the same level of shave as all this.

All I know is we really need a drat shaving accessories and techniques thread, as any time there's more than 4 replies in this thread, it's some white noise about blades again.

As for content: just backed this Kickstarter.

Mostly because gently caress yeah board game about vikings and ragnarok, but goddamn the figures are beautiful.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

kannonfodder posted:

But electric razors have reached a point where if you spend about a hundred bucks, you get practically the same level of shave as all this.

All I know is we really need a drat shaving accessories and techniques thread, as any time there's more than 4 replies in this thread, it's some white noise about blades again.

There is one

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

kannonfodder posted:

Citation needed. Left is safety razor, right is electric

For content;

Queen size Malm

and memory foam mattress

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Mar 6, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don't want either of those coming out of my face.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm more worried about being able to shave my face quickly/painlessly/easily than how my facial hair looks under a microscope.

Electric razors are fine (for me).

RCarr has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Mar 6, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They give me horrible razor burn, but if they work for you then you are lucky and I envy you.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

RCarr posted:

I'm more worried about being able to shave my face quickly/painlessly/easily than how my facial hair looks under a microscope.

It's certainly not for everyone. If shaving with an electric works fine for you, there's no reason to change. Most people who switch to DE do for one of these reasons :
1) Other shaving methods irritate their skin/gives them razor burn, etc.
2) It's a way to save money
3) For them. it makes shaving a fun activity instead of it being a chore

If none of these appeal to you, then it's not something that is for you.

I don't think there is anything else to this "debate"

--

I bought that (well not the whole thing, just the bedding stuff), because apparently I'm going to be a dad

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Mar 6, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bottom Liner posted:

Queen size Malm

Plan on replacing this in about five years. The one I bought in 2009 has just about had it.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Geoj posted:

Plan on replacing this in about five years. The one I bought in 2009 has just about had it.

Ours has been solid so far, except the corners are built specifically to murder shins.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

RCarr posted:

Same here, plus i don't want to be a knob-end buying genuine badger hair brushes and/or Uncle Jims Olde Tyme Shave Soap (made in 2015, but in totally retro looking packaging).

This seems to be the same thing as people buying vinyl/cassettes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How fitting, I just received this.

It dried my skin horribly and did a crap job of removing the hair. I'm going to keep it just so I can use the flip-up trimmer when I get too scruffy to use a stick razor.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Shoes, jeans, pens, cars, guns, and razors. My favorite thing about this thread is that no matter what you buy, someone will think you're an rear end in a top hat for buying it.

e: Got a 7x24" red oak sign that reads "The XXXXXs" (where the Xs are my last name) from Nick Offerman's wood shop for my wife's birthday. She wanted a sign like that for the house since we got married, and she loves Parks & Rec and Offerman's standup. He obviously didn't make it himself, but he wrote a nice note about where the wood came from and it turned out much better than I could have done. It's reclaimed barn wood, and it must be really old because it's an incredibly tight grain.

Sumac has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Geoj posted:

If a $200 bed lasts 5 years, that's a pretty good deal IMO. I've moved mine twice, and it's fine as long as you take it completely apart. I have no complaints.

I actually may have that mattress, too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bhodi posted:

If a $200 bed lasts 5 years, that's a pretty good deal IMO. I've moved mine twice, and it's fine as long as you take it completely apart. I have no complaints.

I actually may have that mattress, too.

Signature sleep from Amazon? How do you like it? Reviews sound pretty great. Mine should be fully decompressed today and ready to go.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Not quite, it was http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT37HY

Honestly it's a little firm; I bought a topper which made it too soft, I haven't found a perfect balance yet.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bhodi posted:

Not quite, it was http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT37HY

Honestly it's a little firm; I bought a topper which made it too soft, I haven't found a perfect balance yet.

Report back after a while, please. I feel like a foam mattress is what I need for my back problems, but I didn't even really consider that I could get one for less than $2-3000; I hadn't really been looking.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've had a Malm (in dark brown) since mid-2006 and it's still perfectly fine. No signs of wear or anything. On the other hand, whatever desk I bought at IKEA in that same trip in '06 shows lots of wear even though I've never been particularly rough on it or anything. I need to replace this thing soon.

yellowD posted:

Ours has been solid so far, except the corners are built specifically to murder shins.
Lmao my girlfriend has had this same exact complaint for years but I've never found it to be an issue at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FishBulb posted:

oh man I hope not!!

gently caress! I just wanted to save money, I hate buying those loving Gillette cartridges and poo poo :(
yeah but you shouldn't give a gently caress if someone thinks something else