Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

raditts posted:

Are you guys trying to tell me that not everyone plays that game with the Samus outfit?

Why would I waste my time on one of the costumes that DOESN'T allow me to punch angels and demons with Bowser's God fist??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I would play Koopa fist

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Why would I waste my time on one of the costumes that DOESN'T allow me to punch angels and demons with Bowser's God fist??

Because Link lets you actually use the master sword and shield ?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let's give the next Metroid to Dennis Dyack. One more chance guys! If that doesn't work out we can try Peter Molyneaux.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Electromax posted:

Yeah and why not let Platinum handle StarFox and Mario and Zelda too! And Pikmin and FZero! Every game can be Bayonetta!

Seriously, if you say "who gives a poo poo about aesthetics" then who gives a poo poo about Samus or Ridley? Why does it need Metroid characters at all? What's the point except that you like Platinum.

People poo-pooed the idea of an action Zelda game where you don't explore and just kill hordes of enemies at first, and now Hyrule Warriors is everybody's favorite game in the series.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

People poo-pooed the idea of an action Zelda game where you don't explore and just kill hordes of enemies at first, and now Hyrule Warriors is everybody's favorite game in the series.

Well, favorite game in the Musuo series.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
look I'm not saying this is the actual choice, just that if for some godawful reason we couldn't get Lonely Atmospheric Sidescrolling or First-Person Metroid, if it was outsourced to a third party developer, and we had to choose between slapping Samus into Vanquish's engine or Other M 2, I'd rather see Samus rocketsliding and dropkicking fools.

it is a stupidly specific hypothetical, i will admit

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

raditts posted:

No it's not.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

raditts posted:

SA hivemind != everyone. Platinum games doesn't sell well and they don't sell well because it's a style of game that doesn't appeal to people with a level of complication in controls that is too much for most people. Nintendo has been doing the right thing this generation with their games and IP, and letting platinum follow their formula in making Metroid would be disastrous for everyone. Nintendo and Platinum wouldn't make money, consumers (that aren't goons) would be unhappy, critical reception would be abysmal, and following the poo poo-stain that Other M was, it could kill the series for another decade.

Metroid needs a high quality game that has mass market appeal and accessibility, which Platinum is not going to produce. Given what Nintendo has made this generation already, I'm confident that they are going to do something awesome with the IP and that development is seriously far along.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

SA hivemind != everyone. Platinum games doesn't sell well and they don't sell well because it's a style of game that doesn't appeal to people with a level of complication in controls that is too much for most people. Nintendo has been doing the right thing this generation with their games and IP, and letting platinum follow their formula in making Metroid would be disastrous for everyone. Nintendo and Platinum wouldn't make money, consumers (that aren't goons) would be unhappy, critical reception would be abysmal, and following the poo poo-stain that Other M was, it could kill the series for another decade.

Metroid needs a high quality game that has mass market appeal and accessibility, which Platinum is not going to produce. Given what Nintendo has made this generation already, I'm confident that they are going to do something awesome with the IP and that development is seriously far along.

Personally, I hope games I like are made and don't really care what everyone else wants.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot these costumes were in the game. How do you unlock them though? I want to play through the single player again as Samus.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I forgot these costumes were in the game. How do you unlock them though? I want to play through the single player again as Samus.

They're available from the start in Bayonetta 1. In 2 you just buy them in the shop.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fremry posted:

Yup. This is exactly what I think and hope is happening.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Pulled the trigger and got a bowser amiibo.

Too bad it's useless outside of Smash. Why can't he do something in mario kart?

Nintendo please make a bowser-centric game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want a new Wario platforming game. He is my favorite character.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm surprised nobody caught the irony that "Highly requested action game developer works on Metroid" is basically Other M.

In all seriousness a level based Metroid game sounds terrible.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mycot posted:

I'm surprised nobody caught the irony that "Highly requested action game developer works on Metroid" is basically Other M.

It would suck rear end.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Metriod: Other Wa

Basically, it's a shot for shot remake of Other M, except every scene Samus is in she's replaced by Wario who just responds to everyone in Wario-isms. Any voice over work done by Samus during flashbacks and whatnot s replaced by Waluigi.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Guys, guys. The next Metroid should be given to FROM Software.

In Metroidborne(tm), the upcoming WiiU-exclusive action-RPG, Samus controls like a lumbering tank, half of the mechanics aren't explained in-game, and each space pirate takes a minute-long fight to kill and respawns every time you die.

GOTY 2015.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

mycot posted:

Metroid Project M created by the Developers of GunZ the Duel with Samus' model contorting and flailing nonsensically as she doubleframe cancels her lag cancels into dashcancel missiledrop cancel wallclimbs.

L-look how fast she is moving though, must be a good game!!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fremry posted:

Look goofy, all I'm saying is that I agree with him that breaking genre a little and making a Metroid game that's a bit more action based and isn't completely LONELINESS AND EXPLORING like goons seem to loving love isn't really that insane of an idea. Not that it has to be literally Bayonetta, that would be loving stupid.

I said come in! posted:

I really want a new Wario platforming game. He is my favorite character.

I think the world is ready for Wario 3D World.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 6, 2015

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

raditts posted:

Look goofy, all I'm saying is that I agree with him that breaking genre a little and making a Metroid game that's a bit more action based and isn't completely LONELINESS AND EXPLORING like goons seem to loving love isn't really that insane of an idea. Not that it has to be literally Bayonetta, that would be loving stupid.

This is ironically what Metroid: Other M was trying to accomplish, but on top of the action being dull and not very good, the exploration aspect suffered immensely and made the whole game incredibly linear.

Not that I don't have confidence in Platinum to make a better version of that, just wanted to throw that out there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

As long as Sakamoto isn't allowed anywhere near the next Metroid, I think we should be good to go.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

raditts posted:

I think the world is ready for Wario 3D World.

I like Wario because he's not afraid to just punch poo poo, and he has a lot of confidence and arrogance. A Wario 3D World would be like a action brawler with platforming and puzzles thrown in too and it would be real cool.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I said come in! posted:

I like Wario because he's not afraid to just punch poo poo, and he has a lot of confidence and arrogance. A Wario 3D World would be like a action brawler with platforming and puzzles thrown in too and it would be real cool.

And also Wario farts a lot and farting is funny.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

Well, favorite game in the Musuo series.

Don't worry, Dragon Quest Heroes is out in Japan now / coming to the US this year. :getin:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

raditts posted:

We haven't had an honest to god Metroid game since Prime 2 really. If the new game is a genre breaker im going to be angry. Prime 3 honestly is a pretty good example of a Metroid game with a more action focus.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

As long as Sakamoto isn't allowed anywhere near the next Metroid, I think we should be good to go.

He has been involved in a lot of good games though. I don't mind him being around for future games as long as he isn't given the final say in things like the story, even if I did like how it was done in Fusion.

Austrian mook posted:

We haven't had an honest to god Metroid game since Prime 2 really. If the new game is a genre breaker im going to be angry. Prime 3 honestly is a pretty good example of a Metroid game with a more action focus.

I'm still fond of Prime 2, but it is just a hard mode remix of the previous game. It's got great graphics and art direction, some brilliant music, imaginative boss fights, and brings back some great powerups like the Screw Attack. The beams and visors felt too similar to Prime 1's though, and it's a shame we never got System Shock with four AIs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

messagemode1 posted:

I would not be surprised if the patch in May that introduces the 2nd round of Mario Kart 8 DLC also adds a handful of new Mii racing suits for Wave 3/4/5(?) amiibo as well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does Tipping Stars suck poo poo or what, all the reviews have been horrible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Light Gun Man posted:

Don't worry, Dragon Quest Heroes is out in Japan now / coming to the US this year. :getin:

I literally have only played Dragon Quest 1 ever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

messagemode1 posted:

They made one on DS

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does Tipping Stars suck poo poo or what, all the reviews have been horrible.

I've only played the first two worlds and some user designed levels, my only real problem with it is loading times are way longer than they should be. This game also holds your hand a lot less than other Mario vs DK games, it introduces some new mechanics that you have to figure out on your own. I kept funding myself surprised at the lack of pop up messages telling me exactly what to do.

What do the review not like in particular?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Reviews basically say that there's no feeling of satisfaction after completing things, it takes too long to "get good", and the mechanics are bland.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe I haven't gone far enough to be frustrated yet. The mechanics seem fun to me, you have to add/remove stage elements and sometimes you have to do it very fast. You really wanna look at the stage and plan out what you're doing in advance. A few of the user levels I've done have been really clever too. I do think it's over priced at $20 though. Should be ten or fifteen, max, even with crossbuy. I'm just giving the DS version to a friend.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I literally have only played Dragon Quest 1 ever.

Missing out big time, DQ is charming as hell.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's way too Japanese for me, the appeal just doesn't translate.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

leave!!!!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

I've only played the first two worlds and some user designed levels, my only real problem with it is loading times are way longer than they should be. This game also holds your hand a lot less than other Mario vs DK games, it introduces some new mechanics that you have to figure out on your own. I kept funding myself surprised at the lack of pop up messages telling me exactly what to do.

What do the review not like in particular?

Are there any major differences between the wii u and 3ds versions? I only have a 3DS so if I get it at all it'd be for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

FirstAidKite posted:

Are there any major differences between the wii u and 3ds versions? I only have a 3DS so if I get it at all it'd be for that

FTR, if you buy one, you get the other for free. However, you can spend $10 and get the 3DS code from someone who only has a Wii U.

• Locked thread