Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

This makes so much sense

Oh my god. I need to erase this from the internet so I don't have the conspiracy theorists having more ammo that some cards are "more rare" than others of the same rarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

On the other hand this limited format could have a lot of ways to kill fliers and then most of your problems are solved.

I really hate how frontloaded spoiler season is getting. Whiny dumb for things past but I sort of miss spoiler season being a bit sillier or being more about 'look at this silly thing I designed/developed'. Now it's just DO YOU WANNA BUY MAGIC CARDS? YES! YES? DRAGONS! I don't like how obvious the red bar is, even if I probably barely even count as a customer to WOTC now.

Starving Autist posted:

Teaser of one of the cards they're about to spoil at PAX

Probably the first of the uncommon cycle, which I think is the last gold cycle to be spoiled.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Spiderdrake posted:

On the other hand this limited format could have a lot of ways to kill fliers and then most of your problems are solved.

I really hate how frontloaded spoiler season is getting. Whiny dumb for things past but I sort of miss spoiler season being a bit sillier or being more about 'look at this silly thing I designed/developed'. Now it's just DO YOU WANNA BUY MAGIC CARDS? YES! YES? DRAGONS!
Probably the first of the uncommon cycle, which I think is the last gold cycle to be spoiled.

Yeah, sadly spoiler season is very much not aimed at Limited players.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Spiderdrake posted:

I really hate how frontloaded spoiler season is getting. Whiny dumb for things past but I sort of miss spoiler season being a bit sillier or being more about 'look at this silly thing I designed/developed'. Now it's just DO YOU WANNA BUY MAGIC CARDS? YES! YES? DRAGONS! I don't like how obvious the red bar is, even if I probably barely even count as a customer to WOTC now.

There could be a gold cycle at common too - there were common gold enemy-colored cards in FRF.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

There could be a gold cycle at common too - there were common gold enemy-colored cards in FRF.

Those won't be DRAGONS though so they'll probably be lumped into the big dump at the end.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Spiderdrake posted:

:regd09:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Those won't be DRAGONS though so they'll probably be lumped into the big dump at the end.

Not being dragons means maybe they'd have some kind of inspired design. :shrug:

Spiderdrake posted:

If the level of removal turns out similar to KTK, the format will actually be completely miserable with as many rare bombs being spoiled as we've seen.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 6, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Sure, there could, but I feel like we're getting a very limited number of gold cards and then weird neo-keystones.

Tell me more about your uncommon removal clearly aimed at constructed being relevant to the overarching limited environment, friend.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

W

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh my god. I need to erase this from the internet so I don't have the conspiracy theorists having more ammo that some cards are "more rare" than others of the same rarity.

why, because it clearly shows it?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

This makes so much sense

I made it big, and as I scrolled down 4 times expecting the image to end, there arose a new row of Rally The Ancestors.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Isn't that just an error with the printing process though much the same way there ended up being boxes of FRF where every single land was a fetch.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The card should have read:
Flying
Prowess
Prowess

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

The thing I love about this card is that it means anyone who ever designed a fake card with Prowess, Prowess was wrong...

It's the little things.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder why they didn't just give it Prowess 2. I guess it's cuz prowess isn't in DTK, but variable Prowess would have been cool.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Cactrot posted:

Flying
Prowess
Prowess

I love how they've removed prowess in name only.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

I wonder why they didn't just give it Prowess 2. I guess it's cuz prowess isn't in DTK, but variable Prowess would have been cool.

I believe Maro said they just didn't think it would be terribly worth it to have a number because so few creatures would ever have more than 1 (likely because it might get busted by spamming cheapo spells)

The reason it still has Prowess is because they obviously like Prowess as the Monk-ability and didn't want to really get rid of it, they just had to for stupid timey-wimey reasons. So Ojutai's actual clan ability is fake prowess and recycled prowess enabler mechanic.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 6, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Look man I just want a card with Prowess X where X is the number of noncreature spells cast this turn.

Also I just think parameterized mechanics are cool, like when they added a number to scry (and when that number isn't 1)

whoops i confused that with variable cycling costs!!

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 6, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zoness posted:

like when they added a number to scry (and when that number isn't 1)

That was always there?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

That was always there?

i think i remember reading in development that it wasn't. but also scry wasn't always a thing that was read as a sentence thing thats actually what im thinking of

also the actual thing i got it mixed up with was cycling costing 2 always in urzas but then they added variable costs to it (not that it was implicitly 2 then)

I want to think there was something that wasn't parameterized at one point and then was but I can't remember if theres actually a thing like that now

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 6, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zoness posted:

Also I just think parameterized mechanics are cool, like when they added a number to scry (and when that number isn't 1)

Scry's first appearance was in Fifth Dawn and it was Scry 2 across the board. Future Sight is where they started tinkering with the number.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Look man I just want a card with Prowess X where X is the number of noncreature spells cast this turn.

:agreed:
I don't see much reason in not having parameters in mechanics, where they'd be appropriate. I asked MaRo if Mega morph N was considered but I don't know if he answered

And your Prowess X idea is cool.

Edit2: also interesting is Echo, which changed to Echo [cost] and is much more deep

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 6, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Scry's first appearance was in Fifth Dawn and it was Scry 2 across the board.

That's kinda funny.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

i think i remember reading in development that it wasn't. but also scry wasn't always a thing that was read as a sentence thing thats actually what im thinking of

also the actual thing i got it mixed up with was cycling costing 2 always in urzas but then they added variable costs to it (not that it was implicitly 2 then)

I want to think there was something that wasn't parameterized at one point and then was but I can't remember if theres actually a thing like that now

Echo. Echo used to just be "Echo" and the cost was the card's cost.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

I guess echo falls into that category, it used to be that the echo cost was always the mana cost by default.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Can we get prowess as evergreen, it is a great mechanic for blue to use so it actually has a creature keyword other than flying.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

Starving Autist posted:

I guess echo falls into that category, it used to be that the echo cost was always the mana cost by default.

I had to quote both of these because it's in flavor but thanks that was bothering me cuz I knew they hosed with it in time spiral block.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
As long as this is the only UU card in standard,

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=378416

Mono U Devotion is dead.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Can we get prowess as evergreen, it is a great mechanic for blue to use so it actually has a creature keyword other than flying.

Maro likes the idea of doing that, someone asked on his blog recently.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 6, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

the problem with the dragonlords is the best use for those spots is to be big dumb edh cards but they aren't even really interesting to be your commander. like with silumgar, i like sower of temptation, but i've never said "gee, i wish sower could be my commander"

If you don't see the value in a giant uncounterable Grand Abolisher with two keywords I think you just lack imagination.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Silumgar seems like the most fun on in EDH, but then again, I don't know, I don't play sucky formats. ;)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Silumgar seems like the most fun on in EDH, but then again, I don't know, I don't play sucky formats. ;)

Silumgar is standard playable. I could see him as a SB card for control decks after they board out some number of removal slots. Sower of Temption has been good in every format it's available in.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i was already thinking of turning my Swan Lake EDH deck into an interpretative dance one and i think this pushes it over the edge

edit: lets not forget Stratus Dancer too

RME fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cactrot posted:

Flying
Prowess
Prowess

That's obviously way too powerful, a Stifle can't get both of those triggers.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm happy Ultimate Price is getting reprinted because it kills everything in the R/W Aggro and G-Devotion decks.

moxiemag
Sep 12, 2013

Offtopic is dead. Long live Offtopic
PAX east panel starting in 30 min.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

moxiemag posted:

PAX east panel starting in 30 min.

Finally, we can complete the megacycle of overcosted fatties.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chamale posted:

That's obviously way too powerful, a Stifle can't get both of those triggers.

Are there spells that care about exact power/toughness? With 2 separate prowess triggers, you could kill a Prowess, Prowess 4/4 with a spell that said "Destroy target creature with 5 toughness", but the Prowess 2 creature dodges it.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

LordSaturn posted:

I remember reading a retrospective on Time Spiral, and they considered that change a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Finally, we can complete the megacycle of overcosted fatties.

Plus fetches, obv

Applebees posted:

I remember reading a retrospective on Time Spiral, and they considered that change a mistake.

Interesting. Remember why? (unnecessary complexity?)

• Locked thread