Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think there is an online client somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

bobvonunheil posted:

I really need to play me a game of Twilight Struggle but my partner doesn't like 2 player direct conflict games. I've learnt the rules and cards and everything.

The digital versions(not vassal) should be coming out in the next 2-3 months so you're in luck.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

1) I've never played with 4, sorry.

2) Here's the Benders' summoner, Tacullu:

Note that it says "within 3 clear straight line spaces of Tacullu". So no going two forward and one to the side (that's not a straight line), and no going through walls or other cards either (because those are not clear).

Note that a lot of effects just state "Within X spaces", which WOULD let you go through cards and around corners (no diagonals, obviously, unless otherwise stated on the card). As an example, here's one of the Benders' champions, Sorgwen:

I don't know of any cards that require "clear" spaces without also requiring a straight line.

Thanks for this, by the way. Turns out I was misremembering how the summoner worked, good to know I didn't screw myself out of a win there.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Bubble-T posted:

TS might be the worst well-regarded game to play if luck is against you. I suppose it could end quickly, at least.

If anything, I feel that the dice rolls are a far bigger source of luck in TS than the deck. TS has mechanisms to mitigate luck of the draw, but nothing stops a clutch re-alignment/coup that shifts +5VP right before a scoring card.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Did anyone else back Galaxy of Trian? 3 months late so far because of hold ups on the stretch goal rewards, I just want my basic edition damnit.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

golden bubble posted:

If anything, I feel that the dice rolls are a far bigger source of luck in TS than the deck. TS has mechanisms to mitigate luck of the draw, but nothing stops a clutch re-alignment/coup that shifts +5VP right before a scoring card.

TS has a weird trait where the average hand feels really lovely, since half the cards benefit your opponent. It could easily lead beginners (and people who think they are inherently unlucky) to mistakenly think there is a lot more luck in the deck then there actually is.

There are a few big lucky card combos, but the deck generally balances out unless things get really wacky. The dice is where most of the luck resides.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, my friend was super annoyed when I used...Bear Trap? Quagmire? on him and he couldn't do anything for two turns.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, my friend was super annoyed when I used...Bear Trap? Quagmire? on him and he couldn't do anything for two turns.

Now Red Scare him :unsmigghh:

I have some complaints about TS and some of the cards can be a little swingy, but I'd say it's a conclusive counterexample to "Single Deck Card Games are trash."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

TS is really good but I sometimes wish Bear Trap/Quagmire didn't exist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Did anyone else back Galaxy of Trian? 3 months late so far because of hold ups on the stretch goal rewards, I just want my basic edition damnit.

Then go to your FLGS and buy a copy of Carcassonne. Even the designer admits that Galaxy of Trian is a knockoff of Carcassonne, and literally nothing about it is better than the original.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I like the 1989 version which adds the ops value to the roll. 1989 also made the endgame better by making it more likely to go through the entire deck and have a turn 10 reshuffle.

e: and the space race equivalent not having the minimum ups go up halfway through is also a lot better.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 6, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

I like the 1989 version which adds the ops value to the roll. 1989 also made the endgame better by making it more likely to go through the entire deck and have a turn 10 reshuffle.
I dislike the 1989 because of the way that struggles/falls of government work, because a load of VPs can be gone simply because you didn't roll well enough.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I dislike the 1989 because of the way that struggles/falls of government work, because a load of VPs can be gone simply because you didn't roll well enough.

Totally agreed. I haven't played much 1989 but it really seems like a weird case of one step forward two back.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Jedit posted:

literally nothing about it is better than the original.

Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but in this game the tiles are triangles

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Aston posted:

Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but in this game the tiles are triangles

Double-faced triangles, even! That got me for an impulse buy at the end of the campaign and I really don't understand my thinking, getting that while passing on Evolution. I enjoy Carcassonne somewhat but I don't want more expansions for it, so why get this?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
One of my friends just announced in our group's board game chat that he bought Dead of Winter :negative:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Then go to your FLGS and buy a copy of Carcassonne. Even the designer admits that Galaxy of Trian is a knockoff of Carcassonne, and literally nothing about it is better than the original.

Uh, do you know anything about Trian? Drafting tiles from two piles for each turn, tiles are double sided, a lot more interaction between players and stealing of points, etc. There are tons of changes and additions to the Carc formula. Plus I already own Carc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh, do you know anything about Trian?

I've played it, which from what you're saying is more than you have. It's loving terrible and you should flip it without taking the shrink off.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

deadly_pudding posted:

One of my friends just announced in our group's board game chat that he bought Dead of Winter :negative:
Play with the guaranteed traitor rule and get into character. It's still not a good game, but if you jump in with both feet, then when people start noticing the flaws, you can put forward BSG.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

I've played it, which from what you're saying is more than you have. It's loving terrible and you should flip it without taking the shrink off.

At this rate I doubt I'll ever even get the damned thing. I'm curious about your harsh thoughts about the game, as every early review I've read has been positive and even said it is better in every way.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

Play with the guaranteed traitor rule and get into character. It's still not a good game, but if you jump in with both feet, then when people start noticing the flaws, you can put forward BSG.

We already play BSG. I think he got it because he likes the traitor mechanic.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Bottom Liner posted:

At this rate I doubt I'll ever even get the damned thing. I'm curious about your harsh thoughts about the game, as every early review I've read has been positive and even said it is better in every way.

Its Jedit take any opinion with a ton of salt.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Broken Loose posted:

Okay, I'll put it this way: Bad things happen to me, both in and out of games. Some of it is within statistical norms and some if it is wildly out the ordinary. I therefore operate under the expectation that bad things will continue to happen in circumstances out of my control, such as card draws, dice rolls, being put in jail for a month over a paperwork error, getting testicular torsion in my sleep, fighting game mixup situations, waking up to my girlfriend's corpse, and tons of other things. Assuming otherwise would be literally insane given my experiences. It would be the gambler's fallacy to assume that any given RNG would treat me well under the guise of fairness. Why would I? I'm AWARE the other sides of the dice exist, I just don't see the point in attempting to roll anymore.

So yeah, if you're like, "That's bullshit! Nobody with a brain could actually end up thinking that life isn't completely fair! Things are perfectly fair and statistically average for ME and my friends all the time!" then yes, it comes off a lot like a spoiled rich kid who hasn't ever had to worry about how they're going to heat their home and eat simultaneously in the winter. I generally don't bring it up because somebody like you inevitably goes on a tirade about how I'm apparently mistaken and nothing bad has ever happened to me.

This, pretty much. Although I try not to ever admit to identifying as such because of poo poo like this exact conversation.

You make yourself "unlucky" by believing bad things will happen more and having a pessimistic attitude. If you are optimistic, you will make good things happen just by having a good attitude.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

goodness posted:

You make yourself "unlucky" by believing bad things will happen more and having a pessimistic attitude. If you are optimistic, you will make good things happen just by having a good attitude.

If you can just walk on it your broken leg will be healed.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

goodness posted:

If you have faith in the heart of the cards, your faith will reward you with a blue eyes white dragon.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Rumda posted:

If you can just walk on it your broken leg will be healed.

Yep that's what I meant :downs:

If you are optimistic you will cause more opportunities to happen by just giving things a chance to happen, also you appreciate what happens more. Pretty simple concept and one that actually helps.

goodness fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 6, 2015

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I know this comes up every once in a while in the thread but I can't seem to find it:

I got some new people into BSG. We played the base game (with five players) and had an absolute blast. I want to pick up the expansion(s) to broaden the experience a bit. Which ones are worth picking up, and what parts of them should be used? If I remember right, Exodus is a dud but I do not remember much more than that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Broken Loose posted:

I just wanna add to this:
The idea of Race's designer being like "I wanna cut off play time as much as possible without completely randomizing the winner," is kind of fucky in the sense that he apparently doesn't want people playing the game. No good game has ever been improved by forcing people to play LESS of it.

I know why he did it, which is because the game has a serious runaway leader problem. Which, as Jedit so eloquently said, makes it a bad game.

There's more to it than that, because there are two counter-focused ways of scoring VP. Some cards (generally green, yellow, military are kinda a beast of their own) have all their points in managing to place the card, while others (blue, brown) are small value but great at eating those VP. So you have some built around front-loaded points, and others for back-loaded. If you put the tableau limit too high then anyone who has built a blue/brown engine is much more likely to win. My group found that out ourselves when we said "it feels too short, let's try 14 cards". Those two turns slowed the end of the game enough that we noticed a MAJOR difference in blue/brown.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 6, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I figure the board game thread might enjoy this. For class I was tasked with making something "creative" to do with 19th century British history. What better project than a board game that simulates the Irish Potato Famine? I can't think of any so thats what I did!. The game is called Feirmeoir which is Irish Gaelic for "farmer". I ripped off a lot from Agricola which means "farmer" in Latin so :v:

The game is basically Agricola but simplified and with a bit more randomness thrown in. I removed the reeds and clay resources and added in the peat/forest tiles from the expansion. I got rid of the concept of a board entirely opting to use only cards; that way it fits into the tackle box more easily and it lets me put board spaces into peoples hand. There aren't any "phases", any board space can come up at any time and the harvests are also cards that can come up at any time. The board begins with 9 essential spaces revealed to makes sure it's not unplayable but for the most part you will never know when Pigs or Stone etc are coming up (if they do at all, there are more board spaces included than you are supposed to use in a single game).

In addition there is a broken crop in the form of Potatoes, that are better that anything else to farm but will fail if the "blighted harvest" card come up. Do you rely on Potatoes and grow your family quickly but risk a blight, or grow less effective Vegetables and remain safe? Also, your people can die or be shipped to America, no begging cards :twisted: I haven't finished the rules book or all the tiles (I have been play testing with my Agricola tiles) but I have some cereal boxes that will make good plowed fields.

https://www.mediafire.com/?uq9q9yd4rqbh6i4

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

(I have been play testing with my Agricola tiles)

It sounds weird to say this, but I would totally play Rutibex.Potato.Game - there's some good ideas there.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Can you feed your family footballs?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lichtenstein posted:

Can you feed your family footballs?

The football is your family. You try finding circle shaped tokens at the dollar store!

jmzero posted:

It sounds weird to say this, but I would totally play Rutibex.Potato.Game - there's some good ideas there.

I'll post a copy of the rules and a decently made PDF for easy print & play once I've made it up. You'll need to find your own tokens/box obviously.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 6, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jmzero posted:

I would too, but I already love Agricola. This would be its soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGe6D0NpcPk

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Tekopo posted:

Use them to dispose of your opponents event cards you really don't want the events to occur on!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SettingSun posted:

I know this comes up every once in a while in the thread but I can't seem to find it:

I got some new people into BSG. We played the base game (with five players) and had an absolute blast. I want to pick up the expansion(s) to broaden the experience a bit. Which ones are worth picking up, and what parts of them should be used? If I remember right, Exodus is a dud but I do not remember much more than that.

Get Daybreak. Use Treachery, Mutiny, new characters and Cylon Leaders iff you have 6 players. Skip Search for Home.

Maybe get Pegasus. Use the ship, the new skill cards and the new characters. Throw away the Peg Treachery cards and New Caprica.

Skip Exodus unless you need some tinder.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

We just got X-Com. I don't think it's going to be a long term classic game, but we've sure enjoyed it so far.

The pacing of the individual timed decisions is really well thought out, and creates just the right amount of pressure. The app is unobtrusive and quickly fades into the mood. You're going immediately: the rules of the game are very simple and direct, and by the time you've got through the tutorial (which the app guides, and which introduces information just at the right pace as you need it) you're done.

The research cards are fun and varied. I don't know how much variety there is to the missions/enemies yet (you only see a few in a given play), but they seem fine. Each player has a reasonable amount of stuff to do, and I look forward to trying all the roles. There's a good balance between decisions you can prepare for during other phases (like when someone else is resolving) and decisions you get pushed to make quickly (and these are often close calls between similarly bad/good things). The game seems a bit snowbally, but I think it fits the theme, time, and the weight of the game; it actually captures the mood of the video game really well (which I was worried about, as we all like the video game).

The game (again, in early play) feels co-operative; you do a lot of talking, and the talking was at the right sort of level. I'd ask the commander what kind of budget I could get away with for research. He'd tell me to prioritize UFO defense (over squad tech or money or whatever). Squad commander wants to know how whether we should go all in on the mission. I tell him I have enough dudes to tech us pass a task, but nothing for enemies. Central is, well, just barely keeping up. I really like the roles; while I haven't tried with other numbers, and we're still new to the game, I feel like you want exactly 4 to play this.

I really like how they've handled the "luck pushing" here. First off, it's very direct. You can keep going as long as you want on a task, but each time you roll it increases the odds of a "loss" that will kill your dudes or whatever. Or you can quit rolling and keep the successes you've already had. This isn't hidden behind some screen, there's just a "Threat" number that goes up when you roll again, and if the alien D8 lows equal or lower than the threat number you "lose" that task. As you might expect, there's options to reroll, mitigate losses, get another dice, etc... but overall it's super simple and I think it's that simplicity that makes it work so well.

My only real concern is that there probably isn't enough variety to sustain long term play - so it probably isn't a good call if your priority is "value for money" and you want a long term staple (it's expensive to boot). But otherwise, I recommend giving it a shot.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 6, 2015

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Despite the vastly differing opinions on the game, I bought Race for the Galaxy this week. My fiance and I will probably play it tonight -- any tips on the best way to teach it? I watched a YouTube turtles and played a few games with the free AI program, so I feel confident with the rules. She's been playing Rivals for Catan and Dominion with me for a few months now, but this is definitely a step up in complexity.

Also I need to stop following this thread because I'm going to end up blowing money on games and having no one to play with. Both Forbidden Desert and Tash Kalar look super interesting.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SettingSun posted:

Daybreak is good. The Cylon Leader and Treachery mechanics from that are fun. Pegasus is pretty good, too, the new board is really helpful.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Aggro posted:

Despite the vastly differing opinions on the game, I bought Race for the Galaxy this week. My fiance and I will probably play it tonight -- any tips on the best way to teach it? I watched a YouTube turtles and played a few games with the free AI program, so I feel confident with the rules. She's been playing Rivals for Catan and Dominion with me for a few months now, but this is definitely a step up in complexity.

Also I need to stop following this thread because I'm going to end up blowing money on games and having no one to play with. Both Forbidden Desert and Tash Kalar look super interesting.

Forbidden desert is only $20, so what's the harm? (You can totally play it solo)

Hold off on Tash Kalar until the new CGE version comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'm pretty sure it's been out for a good few months now