Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DrankSinatra posted:

I'm playing Shogun 2, and it is really cool. I don't quite understand how to use cavalry, though. I get that you should charge enemy units, and not let them get into melees, but I have trouble getting them to disengage and regroup.

In S2, cavalry are much more about morale than kills. Generally, running a unit of cavalry into an enemy melee unit won't result in many kills beyond the initial charge, and will end up mulching your cavalry, particularly if the enemy is a spear unit. However, where cavalry become useful is charging ranged units like archers (their awful melee combat skills, combined with the moral shock of being charged, will most likely cause them to panic and flee) or rear charging melee units that are already tied down and engaged (which will more often than not be the final straw that causes them to freak out and rout). Light cavalry are also incredibly cost efficient general hunters, as they have a good bonus against cavalry and will be able to take a general one-on-one more often than not.

Some other general usage:
Light Cav: Very fragile, but cost effective as hell. They get a bonus vs cav, so they are actually great anti-cav units, both against generals and standard cav. They're also great at hammer & anvil, and much cheaper than samurai cav. 2-3 light cav in a stack can make battles much smoother if you use them to collapse flanks.
Katana Cav: Completely melt archers they charge into. Beyond that they trade anti-cav utility for being much better at mulching infantry when compared to light cav. They're also hardier, so if the flank they charge into doesn't shatter immediately, they can hang around a bit longer without having to pull out.
Yari Cav: Light cav with on steroids. All the same tactics apply, although I generally don't field a lot of these guys since light cav can do all the same things for cheaper, as long as you're smart with how you use them. That being said, Yari Cav are incredible anti-cavalry units, so if you absolutely need to take down a highly vetted general or some great guard ASAP, yari cav are your boys.
Bow Cav: Great for harassment. You can run them up close to enemy melee units, watch as they peel off to chase down the bow cav, and laugh as the bow cav runs away just out of range, peppering them with arrows. They can't really go toe to toe with infantry archers because of their low unit count, but they're great and kiting melee units or whittling down elite units/generals.

dogstile posted:

Honestly though, cav aren't worth it. Use light cav to run down units and stick to infantry. The amount of spears in the period means its almost impossible to use them properly.

Cav are incredible in S2, they're just more about morale fighting & utility than other TW games. The abundance of spears means you can't treat them like heavy cav from previous series who could charge into a fresh unit and potentially win, yes, but when used right they can help collapse flanks and rout units much faster than a pure infantry army could, which saves you a lot of losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Also, don't be afraid to ram your general into an exposed flank if you need a little bit of oomph to get a unit routing. The general can also gain traits from not sitting on his rear end behind friendly lines all day.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Since i'm poor and havent bought Attila yet can someone recommend me some good Dark Ages mods for Barbarian Invasion? Vanilla's fun, except for goddamn Paladin cavalry gently caress you Charlemagne. I've heard Viking Invasion 2 is really fun but also extremely tough. Any good recommendations?

invasio barbarorum is super good but it's less Attila and more Europa Barbarorum

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mans posted:

invasio barbarorum is super good but it's less Attila and more Europa Barbarorum
There's like several different IB things at once, though, and that's just counting the RTW mods and not Medieval 2. Which IB thing is technically the 'main' Invasio Barbarorum mod? Or, if there's no answer for that, which is the most fleshed-out?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

Cav are incredible in S2, they're just more about morale fighting & utility than other TW games. The abundance of spears means you can't treat them like heavy cav from previous series who could charge into a fresh unit and potentially win, yes, but when used right they can help collapse flanks and rout units much faster than a pure infantry army could, which saves you a lot of losses.

Sword cavalry have a use in chewing up katana-armed units. It's more important in MP than in single player, but it is a part of the Shogun 2 rock-paper-scissors.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ofaloaf posted:

There's like several different IB things at once, though, and that's just counting the RTW mods and not Medieval 2. Which IB thing is technically the 'main' Invasio Barbarorum mod? Or, if there's no answer for that, which is the most fleshed-out?

Ignoring RESTITVTOR ORBIS i think all of them are decently fleshed out although i haven't touched the mod in years (which might either mean much more development or stagnation)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mans posted:

Is it less spergy than Europa Barbarorum?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So what's the go-to mod for Medieval 2 nowadays? I remember someone mentioning that Stainless Steel was really spergy and annoying. Lands to Conquer? Just looking for Medieval 2+

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azran posted:

So what's the go-to mod for Medieval 2 nowadays? I remember someone mentioning that Stainless Steel was really spergy and annoying. Lands to Conquer? Just looking for Medieval 2+

Broken Crescent, hands down.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it less spergy than Europa Barbarorum?
It's of the same mold but more stable. It's kind of overwhelming at first (back in the day there was no information about the changed mechanics) but i assume it's better nowadays.

Azran posted:

SS allows you to get rid of the super annoying spergy options and even has some great choices to make the game easier to access (like options to change the political AI's agressiveness or placing watchtowers all along borders so you can see your own land).

Lands to Conquer is also good so try both!

Also grab Broken Crescent which was recently updated and the LOTR\Warhams mod if you fancy the genre.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

One thing that's a little annoying with RTW and Medieval 2 mods is that nobody seems to have transitioned to the 2010s that well; some of them still require downloading .rar files (from Filefront or god knows what) and then extracting them together, documentation is spotty in places so you're not always sure if you're installing it right, and they all seem to maintain the attitude that Steam is the Devil's work.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mans posted:

You'll get a pseudo dota and you'll be happy!

Arena is actually very good, and is closer to the Wargame series in scope. 10v10!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Total War Arena seems to be inspired by World in Conflict too- players have only three units and are fairly specialized.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

sarmhan posted:

Total War Arena seems to be inspired by World in Conflict too- players have only three units and are fairly specialized.

So TWC is gonna hate it, in other words.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sober posted:

So TWC is gonna hate it, in other words.

TWC only likes what cannot physically exist or ever manifest in our humble physical realm. They'll loving despise it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I liked it. Get some coordination going and it'll be great! It makes use of the line of sight system seen in Rome 2 very nicely, allowing for actual ambushes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

TWC only likes what cannot physically exist or ever manifest in our humble physical realm. They'll loving despise it.
why i gotta play only 1 unit type am i retardted CA?

fuckin devs dont know how to design games anymore does anyone from rome/med2 even on the team anymore or is it a bunch of wow crybabies i mean all these talent trees and equipment bullshit

i gotta play with other idiots???!!

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Sword cavalry have a use in chewing up katana-armed units. It's more important in MP than in single player, but it is a part of the Shogun 2 rock-paper-scissors.

Yeah you can charge Katana Cav directly into the front of Katana infantry and kill them all with ease. Whoever said cav isn't worth it in Shogun is probably charging into pikes and matchlocks haha

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
So, I played a Shgoun 2 campaign to the end - a short Chosokabe campaign on Normal. That's really a far, far better tutorial than the tutorial campaign. I didn't win - I only had 15 provinces and took Kyoto at the end of 1572, so I think I played myself into a bit of a corner time-wise. It's a helluva game though. The strategic level feels like you're always trading off between stuff in a very euro-boardgame way, which I dig, and also get stressed out by.

On short though, it feels like you don't really have much going family-wise, or with the growth of agents.

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 5, 2015

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sober posted:

why i gotta play only 1 unit type am i retardted CA?

fuckin devs dont know how to design games anymore does anyone from rome/med2 even on the team anymore or is it a bunch of wow crybabies i mean all these talent trees and equipment bullshit

i gotta play with other idiots???!!

Solid, but is missing xenophobic nationalism and bitching about DLC/Sega

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You also forgot the Steam hatred. Because apparently putting your game files in a folder within another folder is just too much for some people.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
TWC sounds like a nice place full of likeable, fun-loving folk.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Smoothrich posted:

Yeah you can charge Katana Cav directly into the front of Katana infantry and kill them all with ease. Whoever said cav isn't worth it in Shogun is probably charging into pikes and matchlocks haha

There is almost nothing I can do with Cav in Shogun that I cannot do equally as well or better with infantry. I use Cav a lot but only for fun. As a morale breaker a unit of katana/yari samurai have way more lasting power and don't require the same micromanagement. I even completed a 50% cav army campaign where I forced myself to use way more cav than is required.

I like using them to chase down archers and artillery so they do have a use in every army I use, but they're not as good as they are in almost every other game CA have put out. That is probably intended considering the average weapon in most armies is a spear, your cav will always, always be close to a unit that can chase it off quickly if you're using it to support your main line.

Sure they'll win at one on one fights vs specifically sword infantry if they are on flat plains and have charged in. But that doesn't happen often enough for me to want to rely on it. Light cav are good enough for chasing down archers and morale shocking troops that are engaged away from spears, so I just use those. Less upkeep too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Running down archers with ranged cav is the best. Too close for missiles, switching to guns swords. Just sending in a unit and watching their 3 or 4 nice blocks of ranged units go all :derp: is just great.

I had a moment in Attilla last night, what shall I do with these skirmisher cavalry? Oh, of course, put all the archers to the sword, and then park them behind the engaged battle line and toss javelins into the enemies' backs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

So I know there are like 1 or 2 other people in this thread besides me who are interested in the Thirty Years War and the tactics/units of that period... I have just been trying out an iPad game called Pike and Shot and it's not bad. Graphics are crap and it's a bit simplistic, but still fun and decently historical, and it's the best (well only) game I've seen covering the period on a tactical level

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone tried The Last Kingdom mod for Medieval 2? Is it any good?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Earwicker posted:

So I know there are like 1 or 2 other people in this thread besides me who are interested in the Thirty Years War and the tactics/units of that period... I have just been trying out an iPad game called Pike and Shot and it's not bad. Graphics are crap and it's a bit simplistic, but still fun and decently historical, and it's the best (well only) game I've seen covering the period on a tactical level

It's also on Steam. I've been playing it off and on and while it's not perfect it's pretty fun to mess around with.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I might be looking to play a total war game in Co-op with a friend tonight. I own them all, he owns none. Before we make our decision : what's the most stable one for co-op? I'm thinking it was Shogun 2, but I'm not sure. Anyone could confirm? The only time I tried Rome 2 was near release and boy oh boy did that go wrong many times. I don't think I was able to get a game past 10 turns before a crash / desync.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

StarMinstrel posted:

I might be looking to play a total war game in Co-op with a friend tonight. I own them all, he owns none. Before we make our decision : what's the most stable one for co-op? I'm thinking it was Shogun 2, but I'm not sure. Anyone could confirm? The only time I tried Rome 2 was near release and boy oh boy did that go wrong many times. I don't think I was able to get a game past 10 turns before a crash / desync.

Shogun 2 is the most stable in co-op.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

shalcar posted:

Shogun 2 is the most stable in co-op.

A'Ight thanks. We'll probably bud it up from each end of grorious Nippon and join up at Tokyo.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone tried The Last Kingdom mod for Medieval 2? Is it any good?

Worth a try. It's one of those mods I tried years ago that all blended together in my memory so I can't be more specific than that, but I'm pretty sure it was decent enough that I completed a campaign with it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Speaking of Med 2 mods, I've been playing that Hyrule: Total War mod that got mentioned a while back in this thread and, well, its something. It is pretty fun, but dear lord, they need to get someone on their team who can write a loading screen quote that doesn't make me roll my eyes. A lot of the stuff in the mod is pretty dumb and I got the impression that the people involved in the mod might be taking their zelda fan-lore a little too seriously (surprise surprise). Their wiki is a hoot, with some hero units having around 8+ paragraphs of insane fan lore and around a single sentence on what they actually do ingame.

There's also a lot of idiosyncratic things about its design that I guess work out, sort of. Unit recruitment is slow, but units are also cheap, so the main limitation to army size is just how long it takes units to replenish when recruiting them. Their campaign map movement range is ridiculously huge as well, which is honestly not a change I really mind at all. Upkeep is ridiculously low, with most falling at 25/50 and the top tier costing 100 a turn. Early game your army is limited as hell due to the slow replenishment and how long building barracks takes, but by around turn 75 you can have absurdly huge forces running around. The AI isn't that bright in abusing this but they can end up with pretty big armies as well. If you don't feel like waiting you can also just hire mercenaries, which are also cheap, and you can hire around 10 - 25 units at a time because why the gently caress not I guess.

There's also no limit on upgrading building chains in terms of population, so you can pretty much go hog wild in that department as well.

A lot of interesting gameplay ideas went into the factions, though. Each faction gets unique generals that have special abilities (although there is no longer any sort of family tree. Generals don't ever change traits, there is no faction leader. I don't know why they did this aside from guessing :spergin: reasons), and I don't think any factions share units at all. A lot of the unit rosters are kind of homogenous past appearances, in having their core units being some variety of 7-9ish attack / 7-9ish defense infantry, some ranged unit, and then maybe some weak (compared to vanilla ME2) cavalry. There's exceptions to this, like the Darknuts, who are both nigh unkillable and incapable of running, and each faction generally has a handful of truly unique or absurd units. The writeups the other guy did explain that a lot better, but there is a bit of a gulf in ideas in how the faction plays, and how they actually play in game. I don't think the AI can deal with handling some of the more esoteric factions that well.

Its also kind of unstable. It likes to crash after battles, which is really annoying. Its also pretty, with nice models, music, and such, although it helps that much of it was taken from other sources. The stuff they made themselves tends to stand out in a bad way. Kind of adds to the comical absurdity, in a way.

But yeah, worth playing, imo.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 7, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The music is hyrule mod is incredible

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rabhadh posted:

The music is hyrule mod is incredible

And the battles are phenomenal. The Wizrobes are truly terrifying, which is why simply destroying them isn't necessarily the smartest idea even though they exist to gently caress over all of your stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So another dude angry at CA/Total War is making his own game.

I admit, it looks quite impressive but quite dry at the same time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean it looks complex which I guess is impressive in some sense, but it also looks really bad and frustrating. I know it's in the early stages but everything about the videos and website itself suggests that it will still have a really horrible UI and very clunky battles. Too bad because the concept and era is great.

The other angry-at-CA dude made a Civil War game which is an era I'm far less interested in, but at least that game looks well designed and fluid.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh man, 90% complete? I don't want to be that guy, but just the UI looks super rough, discounting the fact it's basically in German (in the video I saw) ... the font alone is just objectively the wrong thing in almost any way you want to look at UI design.

Also it looks needlessly complicated. I haven't played CK2/EU3/4 for more than fumbling for a few hours but at least the things you do have mechanic and thematic sense. Maybe they haven't sold it to me on this case but a lot of the stuff you're doing especially with regards to the economic minutiae in 7YW, it just looks like busywork for the sake of busywork while having little actual effect on the game you're playing. I'd like to be proven wrong.

The battles and how it's organized seem interesting in theory too (different levels of hierarchy of control) but it looks like you're just juggling ~20 units like you were in TW anyway, just that you have "realistic" number of men per unit but not representative in the 3D space (which is fine), but also just looks like a lot's missing from what you'd get in a TW tactical space battle without much gained somewhere else.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Busywork for the sake of busywork", the rallying cry of grognard idiots on TWC/PdoxPlaza/CivFanatics.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A friend and I are trying to play Shogun 2 vanilla campaign and neither of us can join each other because it says our versions are incompatible. We're not using any mods and both of us installed the game yesterday. I googled the problem and I only get threads that have the same problem but offer no solution to them. Anyone know what's up and how to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just bought ATTILA. Any advice for playing as the Western Romans?