Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
If you want the features of Sec+, you're better off getting a 5515-X from the get-go. You get slightly better performance and it includes Sec+. The 5512-X fills the price gap if you don't want/need Sec+.

e: 5512-X ($4295), Sec+ ($1000) = $5295. 5515-X ($5295). That's MSRP.

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

5505s will be getting dirt cheap(er?) when the 5506 drops.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Ahdinko posted:

and will work in active/active

Not if you want VPNs, active/active needs multiple contexts which restrict VPN usage.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

DeNofa posted:

5505s will be getting dirt cheap(er?) when the 5506 drops.

I wouldn't buy a 5505 at this point. You're better off with an 891F.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Richard Noggin posted:

I wouldn't buy a 5505 at this point. You're better off with an 891F.

I do hate the ASA, so I'd agree if you just need something to terminate some simple VPNs. But you're doing heavy firewallin'/IPSin' or fancy AnyConnect stuff, ASA is the way to go.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

BurgerQuest posted:

He means Fortigate.

Only if you want something full of holes (same goes for Palo). Get a Check Point.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ior posted:

Only if you want something full of holes (same goes for Palo). Get a Check Point.

Nooooooo. Don't utter its name! It gets stronger if you say its name!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ior posted:

No way man, <your preferred vendor> is full of holes!

It has been a good few pages since the last firewall chat, certainly there has never been consensus in the past and you won't get one now. As always, you can't underestimate the value of going with the one you're most familiar with or can get good support for.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would hope my firewall was full of holes, otherwise it would overheat!

:v:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've been having the worst networking issues with VMware Fusion, and I've been blaming VMware and Apple for probably two years. It seems the issue might have something to do with Cisco, as well

The connection on a Guest system would seem to just "die". It sometimes started back up. Sometimes I had to disable & re-enable networking to get it working again... But then it would just "fail" after a few moments.

The issue? ARP collisions with a Host machine MAC and Guest machine MAC. I finally checked our firewall/router and noticed the ARP Collision logs recorded every time the network seemed to "die" on the guest.

Device: Cisco ASA 5550, IOS 9.1(2)

Host IP: 10.0.0.111, MAC: a.a.a.1111
Guest IP: 10.0.0.222, MAC: b.b.b.2222

Logs are filled with this:

code:
Received ARP request collision from 10.0.0.222/a.a.a.1111 on interface INSIDE with existing ARP entry 10.0.0.222/b.b.b.2222
10.0.0.222/b.b.b.2222 is correct (10.0.0.222/a.a.a.1111 should not not be happening).

How do I best tackle this? We need Bridged networking to get IPs for the guest systems.

Edit: I tried disabling "Proxy ARP", but that was not it.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 25, 2015

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Ahdinko posted:

I don't know about any of the ones you mentioned since I've never used them, but since you're asking in the Cisco thread, what about two ASA 5512-X's for your main office, and maybe a 5505 or a single 5512-x for your other office?

Three 5512-X's + security plus licenses + 50 concurrent user vpn perpetual licenses will cost you as much as two months of your cloud firewall things, will give you up to 250 site to site vpns (licenses included) and will work in active/active and do QoS. As well as handle up to a gig of straight internet traffic, or 200mb of encrypted traffic.

5506 is shipping now and has SourceFire integrated. There will be a model with a built in AP that can run standalone or lightweight very shortly.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

BurgerQuest posted:

No way man, <your preferred vendor> is full of holes!

It has been a good few pages since the last firewall chat, certainly there has never been consensus in the past and you won't get one now. As always, you can't underestimate the value of going with the one you're most familiar with or can get good support for.

Do realize I am trolling. I have my preferences but wont discuss them in a forum, nothing good will come of it :)

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Two SRXs in a cluster :ocelot:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So who's doing Cisco Collab?

How are you tracking licenses to users? It's too easy to add a device for a user or "user" and boom, pay Cisco more money.

What's the scoop with Jabber and being able to have a video conference or such? Still WebEx on-prem?

Partycat fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 25, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

goobernoodles posted:

Reposting from the general IT thread:

I’ve been looking for a solution to take the place of a cloud hosted firewall and VPN solution through our ISP for several months now. Made a post a while back. The main factor was simply getting away from this ISP since we’re paying entirely way too much (~6500/mo) for the service we receive, however other factors like the how long it took to do routine tasks on the hosted Palo Alto as well as the clunky VPN client were factors as well.

Main office is in Seattle, second office in Portland. 200 employees and roughly 125 actual computer users. Roughly 50/20 desks at SEA/PDX. Exchange is hosted internally, but our website is externally hosted. We don’t have high throughput at this point (20Mb SEA & 12Mb PDX), but I’m looking to improve on that with either changes to our main connection, implementation of additional, cheaper, higher bandwidth connections, as well as potentially a dedicated fiber connection between our two offices. Main goal is to improve the end user experience working in and more importantly outside of the office. Paired with new firewalls, I’m working on a new RDS server, and will be testing Egnyte as a “dropbox” like service to tie into our existing file servers.
The main things I’m looking for are:

• Good performance – or… good enough that it isn’t a bottleneck. End result is that I want to be able to more effectively improve end-user perception of “speed”.
• Good enough security for our needs, which aren’t super high
• Site-to-site VPN – ideally cost effective.
• Client VPN with no per user licensing
• Ability to have 1+ connections for failover as well as active/active.
• Traffic Shaping/QoS so that I can divert high bandwidth traffic that doesn’t need to be on the primary connection such as web traffic and backup replications over those.

I’ve looked at Juniper SRX240 and 220, Fortinet 200D and 100D, Barracuda NG380 and NG280, and Sophos SG230 and SG210. After comparing costs, specs, pro’s and cons specific to my specific one-man operation working for a construction company, it looks like Sophos is the clear winner. The price is right in line with everyone else, the performance numbers blow everything else out of the water, the hardware appears to be better (ie. Bigger ssd, 8gb ram) to back up those numbers, the reporting out of the box looks much better, and lots of other things like being able to embed a how-to video on the VPN portal page. The biggest single advantage for me over what my initial bias was for – Fortinet – was that the Sophos site-to-site VPN option is insanely easy. The Red 10 setup takes a few minutes – punch in the serial, give it a subnet and a few other things, hand it to someone to take out to a site, and it will set itself up and create a tunnel back home. Not having to travel to sites alone is probably worth it.

I should add that I tested the Fortinet and Sophos options in-house. I preferred the Fortinet GUI as it seemed more logical to me, but perhaps it’s just because that’s the one I tested first and got used to it. On that subject, we used Sonicwalls in the past and I always disliked their GUI. That’s why I didn't mention them.

Anyway, my main questions are… is there anything I haven’t mentioned that I should be taking into account? Does anyone have experience with Sophos? Any reason not to pull the trigger?

Have you take a peek at the Meraki stuff? I have no idea on the pricing compares to the other stuff you've been looking at, but it is pretty simple stuff for small operation as long as you don't mind keeping things on maintenance.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
You know what really grinds my gears? Cisco's price manipulation. At launch, they had a 10 unit license of FireSIGHT that was something like $10k. It was also required for single deployments. That pushed a lot of smaller shops who wanted next-gen stuff back to the CX line, which just got EOL'ed (along with PRSM). Now, Cisco has 2 unit FireSIGHT licenses for like $1k (list), and they have removed the requirement for FireSIGHT for single unit deployments now that ASDM 7.3.3 supports it natively. I"m guessing they kept the prices high to recoup costs thanks to early adopters, and squeezed every last ounce from the CX line. EOL the CX, drop the FireSIGHT price considerably, and watch everyone who recently bought CX use the trade-up program to get at best, 20% off FireSIGHT.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm working with an old AIR-LAP1042N that I've cross-flashed to act as a standalone AP. Is there a good "for dummies" thing on how to configure an AP from the CLI? I swear I've gone through the official Cisco docs five or six times but something about the way they're laid out just isn't making it clear for me.

Essentially I'm trying to do the following:

Set up Gig0 as a VLAN trunk, then I'd use the following VLANs:

30: Private WiFi
40: Guest WiFi
99: Management

I'm trying to associate 30 and 40 to the Dot11Radio, but then I'm trying to give the base AP an IP on the 99 VLAN. My understanding is that I need a BVI interface on that VLAN, however the docs seem to indicate that BVI has to be on a VLAN that's associated with a Dot11Radio? I can't believe that's the case so I'm obviously misreading something somewhere.

I imagine this is really simple but for some reason this is evading me. I consider myself fairly strong on the Cisco front so I can't really explain what it is.

Eventually I'll want to set up all three of the APs around the house and get them meshed but right now I'll settle just to get one up and running :q:

edit: I know thee have a Web UI but that thing is seriously on the shortlist to being the worst WebUI I've ever used. Just pretending it doesn't exist.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 28, 2015

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Bridge vlan 30 and 40 between g0 and the radio interface. Use a SVI for the management vlan 99.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

I'm working with an old AIR-LAP1042N that I've cross-flashed to act as a standalone AP.

I might be able to pull a config that's close enough to what you want on Monday, if you're still having problems doing what you want.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I've got the radios bridged to the right dot1q gig0 subifs, but I haven't really had time to debug thoroughly why it isn't working properly. If you have a config handy that would be cool, otherwise I'll hammer on it a littler more next weekend.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
We had some 1042Ns out there configured as standalone at one point, but all I can find now are some 1242s running as wireless bridges. Everything else has been converted over to controller based.

Did locate a newer 702N standalone, and from what I can remember, the configuration should be close enough. This is just a single data vlan with a separate management vlan.

code:
dot11 syslog
dot11 vlan-name Data vlan 100
dot11 vlan-name Management vlan 5
!
dot11 ssid SSID1
   vlan 100
   authentication open
   authentication key-management wpa version 2
   guest-mode
   wpa-psk ascii 7 KEY GOES HERE
!
!
dot11 guest
!
!
!
!
bridge irb
!
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address
!
encryption vlan 100 mode ciphers aes-ccm
!
ssid SSID1
!
antenna gain 0
packet retries 64 drop-packet
station-role root
!
interface Dot11Radio0.5
encapsulation dot1Q 5 
bridge-group 5
bridge-group 5 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 5 spanning-disabled
bridge-group 5 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 5 source-learning
no bridge-group 5 unicast-flooding
!
interface Dot11Radio0.100
encapsulation dot1Q 100
bridge-group 100
bridge-group 100 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 100 spanning-disabled
bridge-group 100 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 100 source-learning
no bridge-group 100 unicast-flooding
!
interface Dot11Radio1
no ip address
!
encryption vlan 100 mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip
!
ssid SSID1
!
antenna gain 0
peakdetect
dfs band 3 block
packet retries 64 drop-packet
channel dfs
station-role root
!
interface Dot11Radio1.5
encapsulation dot1Q 5 
bridge-group 5
bridge-group 5 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 5 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 5 unicast-flooding
!
interface Dot11Radio1.100
encapsulation dot1Q 100
bridge-group 100
bridge-group 100 subscriber-loop-control
bridge-group 100 block-unknown-source
no bridge-group 100 unicast-flooding
!
interface GigabitEthernet0
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface GigabitEthernet0.5
encapsulation dot1Q 5 
bridge-group 5
!
interface GigabitEthernet0.100
encapsulation dot1Q 100
bridge-group 100
!
interface BVI1
ip address 10.122.1.80 255.255.255.0
ipv6 address dhcp
ipv6 address autoconfig
!
ip default-gateway 10.122.1.1
Let me know if that's helpful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! I'll try to throw that on one of my APs tomorrow. Maybe I missed this because I skimmed the reply on my phone but how does BVI1 know which vlan to use?

I presume that it needs to know which subif it's going to use to communicate on.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

The vlan is specified using the encapsulation dot1q command in the sub interfaces that are associated with the bvi.
Looking at it again I'm pretty sure that IP address wouldn't be reachable as nothing is allocated to bridge group 1.

chestnut santabag fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 3, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, so can I just create a BVI99 and bridge that to Gig0.99? Going to try this out tomorrow, thanks again for the example though.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
I'm not sure why you'd bridge the management to the radio interface.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tortilla_chip posted:

I'm not sure why you'd bridge the management to the radio interface.

I wouldn't; Gig0.99 would be the subif of my ethernet trunk. Maybe you're thinking of Dot11Radio0.99? :)

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Should have quoted, was referring to the example above.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'm going to shill for Opengear because I just bought two of their IM72xx boxes and holy crap are they the coolest purchase I've made in a while.

They are console servers with up to 48 ports with software-configurable pinouts. They have dual network, wifi, 56K, and LTE capability. For any of those interfaces, you can assign static IPs or they can update DNS or dyn-dns. They can VPN out over any connection. The 4g connection can be always on, or you can SMS them a "WAKEUP123" message to make them connect only in a network-down situation.

They can save console data to internal syslog storage or send it to an external server. They can do IP passthrough and forwarding, so you can RDP or VNC to a server through the out of band networks. They work as Nagios distributed monitors.

Then beyond that, they are infrastructure managers as well. They interface with environment sensors, control switched PDUs, and monitor UPSes. You can actually tie a console port together with switched PDUs into a unified view of a managed device.

They even have a GPS antenna and can output an NMEA data stream from GPS or (I think) cell if you want an internal stratum 1 time source.

Seriously loving cool stuff compared to the Avocents or Lantronix boxes I used at former jobs, and I think I'm still just scratching the surface of their capabilities so far.

KS fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 5, 2015

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Theyre running linux so you can drop to shell and do some other crap. I believe we have one set up with bonding between its two ethernet ports.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

ragzilla posted:

This pains me to even suggest it- but I wonder if enabling directed broadcast on the interfaces, then setting helper addresses to both other subnet broadcast addresses would work. It looks like 137/138 are supported by default.

Funny enough, this solution was literally mentioned by Jeremy Cioara in the latest CCNP SWITCH course as a work-around where he encountered a very similar NetBIOS issue.

Speaking of CCNP SWITCH - I destroyed my home lab with a nasty broadcast loop, and I just want to make sure I understand the cause.

This my home topology:

Basically I started turning all my po interfaces off so that I could gently caress around with some STP stuff. I started with my two 2950s, which had this running config:

code:
interface FastEthernet0/1
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 channel-group 2 mode passive
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 channel-group 2 mode passive
This is how it looked from the 3550 side:

code:
3550b#sh etherchannel summary 
Flags:  D - down        P - bundled in port-channel
        I - stand-alone s - suspended
        H - Hot-standby (LACP only)
        R - Layer3      S - Layer2
        U - in use      f - failed to allocate aggregator

M - not in use, minimum links not met
        u - unsuitable for bundling
        w - waiting to be aggregated
        d - default port

Number of channel-groups in use: 2
Number of aggregators:           2

Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports
------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------
1      Po1(SU)          -        Fa0/1(P)    Fa0/2(P)    Fa0/23(P)   
2      Po2(SU)         LACP      Fa0/3(P)    Fa0/4(I)    
I started by doing this:

code:
2950b(config)#int fa0/2
2950b(config-if)#no channel-group
Then I went over to the 3550 and did the same thing:

code:
3550b(config)#interface fastEthernet 0/4
3550b(config-if)#no channel-group 
No big deal, I continued and did the same thing for fa0/1 on the 2950 and fa0/3 on the 3550, and then repeated the steps on the other port-channel between 3550t and 2950t. Cool, no more Po2. Then I moved on to Po1 between my two 3550s, which were using the same three ports on both sides - fa0/1, fa0/2, and fa0/23.

Here's where I think I hosed up. I had added an additional trunk between 3550t and 3550b that was not on my topology, at fa0/13 on both switches. When I went to remove port fa0/23 from the port-channel on 3550b, since link aggregation was just "on" and not using LACP, my other 3550 was still pumping out packets through fa0/23 without really caring. Am I on the right track? Here's what happened from the perspective of 3550b:

code:
3550b(config)#interface fa0/23
3550b(config-if)#no channel-group 
3550b(config-if)#end
*Mar  5 23:41:28.198: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by BLAHBLAH on vty0 (192.168.1.9)
3550b#sh etherchannel summary 
Flags:  D - down        P - bundled in port-channel
        I - stand-alone s - suspended
        H - Hot-standby (LACP only)
        R - Layer3      S - Layer2
        U - in use      f - failed to allocate aggregator

M - not in use, minimum links not met
        u - unsuitable for bundling
        w - waiting to be aggregated
        d - default port

Number of channel-groups in use: 2
Number of aggregators:           2

Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports
------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------
1      Po1(SU)          -        Fa0/1(P)    Fa0/2(P)    
2      Po2(SD)          -        

3550b#
*Mar  5 23:42:14.642: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 000f.8f9d.87e1 in vlan 1 is flapping between port Fa0/13 and port Po1
3550b#
*Mar  5 23:42:23.598: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host a820.663c.e03c in vlan 1 is flapping between port Po1 and port Fa0/13
3550b#
*Mar  5 23:42:30.026: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host a820.663c.e03c in vlan 1 is flapping between port Fa0/3 and port Fa0/13
3550b#
*Mar  5 23:42:45.990: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host a820.663c.e03c in vlan 1 is flapping between port Fa0/3 and port Fa0/13
3550b#
*Mar  5 23:43:00.290: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host a820.663c.e03c in vlan 1 is flapping between port Fa0/3 and port Fa0/13
3550b#
*Mar  5 23:43:13.550: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/13, changed state to down
3550b#
*Mar  5 23:43:14.574: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/13, changed state to down
3550b#
*Mar  5 23:43:25.110: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/23, changed state to down
3550b#
*Mar  5 23:43:28.614: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/23, changed state to down
You can seem me realizing I probably had hosed something up, so I pulled the cables from fa0/13 and fa0/23. Was it the channel-group mode setting that did it?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

sudo rm -rf posted:

Port channels

If I'm understanding this right, yes it is a downside of configuring it as channel-group mode on (which you should only have to ever configure if youve got a device on the other end which doesnt do LACP/PagP but hey its the 2015), but ultimately it sounds like an STP misconfiguration. At 3550b, once you did no channel-group under fa0/23, it would taken that link out of the bundle and seen fa0/23 as a second link to get to 3550t and spanning tree should have blocked it, unless it was the root in which case it wouldnt block the link and 3550t would still see it as a single logical link and so would just keep running traffic down it?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 6, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just as a thought experiment, how would you guys block p2p / bittorrent traffic? A customer of mine got a copyright nastygram and asked me for advice. I can't think of any particularly effective ways to do it that aren't bandaids on the Titanic.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

CrazyLittle posted:

Just as a thought experiment, how would you guys block p2p / bittorrent traffic? A customer of mine got a copyright nastygram and asked me for advice. I can't think of any particularly effective ways to do it that aren't bandaids on the Titanic.

Use a firewall from $RANDOM-NGFW-MANUFACTURER to block it.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

CrazyLittle posted:

Block everything outbound except for explicitly allowed ports.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

ragzilla posted:

Block everything outbound except for explicitly allowed ports.

Sounds like a way to get called about every ticky tack service anybody wants to use.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Get a fancy "next gen" firewall?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Don't most of the nextgen firewalls just use NBAR to recognize P2P traffic? An encrypted Bittorrent session should be unrecognizable to NBAR.

For the customers I have had request blocking but refuse to spend any money, I went the ACL route. Before you put it in place, you need to be completely clear with them that it may interfere with some legitimate traffic.

I permit udp 53, tcp 25,80,110,143,443,587,993,995, and icmp.

Matteyo
Jul 19, 2009

Filthy Lucre posted:

Don't most of the nextgen firewalls just use NBAR to recognize P2P traffic? An encrypted Bittorrent session should be unrecognizable to NBAR.

For the customers I have had request blocking but refuse to spend any money, I went the ACL route. Before you put it in place, you need to be completely clear with them that it may interfere with some legitimate traffic.

Your approach is the surefire way to do it (whitelist approach) if you only have a L4 firewall or router to work with. As you mentioned, there are legitimate uses for Bitorrent like digital distribution of video games that users will probably expect access to, though there are ways to turn p2p behavior off in most clients.

Technically NBAR is a Cisco technology, other vendors call it different things, at the end of the day it is just recognizing signatures in packet data to classify flows into an application. How good the product is is completely dependent on how non-lazy the guys who come up with the protocol descriptions/signatures are. Palo Alto in particular also has some dynamic intelligence baked in, costs extra though.

Palo Alto Networks claims to use heuristic analysis to be able to police even encrypted Bittorrent sessions. They are a new partner of ours so I haven't been able to dig into their technology much at this point to know the truth. I am guessing any intelligent system would correlate users transacting with things that could be known/static like Bittorrent tracker servers with large flows, but just my speculation.

Any IDS/IPS will alarm on BitTorrent. From there you can deal with it on a user-by-user basis, I have seen that handled that way in the past in the enterprise space. Depending on the size of the organization and how much of heathens your users are that may or may not be possible. Host-based approaches can work as well - think MDM, host-based security (Symantec Endpoint), maybe even Windows Group Policy/Firewall. Not an expert on any of those things but I am sure each of them can shut down torrent clients before they even get installed if the machine is corporate owned. If not you are left with any of the network based approaches discussed, with the whitelist method Lucre mentioned the cheapest and most effective.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Filthy Lucre posted:

I cant speak specifically about how $MY_PREFFERED_NGFW_VENDOR detects BT but I have had 100% success in blocking both newly started and actively running torrents (encrypted and non encrypted) with their 'NBAR'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I'm officially starting to study for my CCENT/CCNA at the end of the month, and I've got a 2620xm and 2950 so far. My 2620 only has one fast Ethernet port though, so I'll need to install a card in one of my empty slots to run my internet through it. What card model number should I be looking to buy and is installing it as easy as fitting it in the empty slot and doing some configuration?

I'm completely green to Cisco so I'm trying to figure this stuff out before I'm knee deep in course material.

E: it's looking like I could get away with a NM-1FE-TX yeah?

crunk dork fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 7, 2015